my bible must be defective...

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

I was recently (today actually) looking up passages in online versions of the bible to find some of god's harsher commands, such as to put homosexuals to death, and just generally putting people to death for random "sins" when I discovered that the online versions of my physical bibles (King James and NIV) no longer say that they must be put to death and instead say that they must be "cut off from their people." Am I simply mistaken or has this text actually been changed to mean something so obviously different? If you know of any such passages, I urge you to check them against these apparently new versions of the old versions, because if the case is that they have been changed in an effort to reconcile these obvious contradictions of moral codes put forth in the bible, I think that this is something that should be brought to light immediatly before the new versions are accepted by the masses because it would just be another attempt by the church to try and put their wolf in sheep's clothing (pun intended).
Also, if anyone has any specific passages that site these "great moral teachings" of god, please pass them on here as I'm currently writing a paper on the principle of morals with respect to religion.

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

jester700
User is offlineOffline

Well, Lev. 20:13 has the "put to death" wording in NRSV, NASB, and KJV.

Do you have specific verses? You can look up all kinds of verses in different translations at parallel bible web sites like
http://bible.crosswalk.com/ParallelBible/

applesforadam
User is offlineOffline

It must be out of ignorance on my part. I was probably looking up similar ideas that didn't have the death sentence attached to them at those particular points where they were mentioned.

"It's not so much staying alive. It's staying human that's important." - 1984
www.myspace.com/applesforadam
applesforadam.blogspot.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

It ain't defective. The Babble is just plain bad! :twisted:

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline

Unfortunately, the Bible is changing rapidly. I have a Romanian edition of the Bible printed in 1968, and I've taken up another edition printed in 2003. I was absolutely amazed on how "soft" it had become...

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

It has become kind of "in" recently to purposely mistranslate things, to hide some of the "bad" parts of the bible.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team