evogate
evogate's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why are you people so ANGRY!!!!!

Tongue out

Hi all, 

Atheist extremist here.

just introducing my self.

its finally good to find a site on the web that has similar goals and visions as my site.

Some friends and I started evolution gate back in.... 2003 I think, our site doesn't get updated much, never had the resources, always busy working on other aspects of helping humanity, our group is more of a social group with educating the world on the side, I like this site as its more educational and has far greater resources, I wish everyone the best, keep up the good fight.

oh and yes the evolutions gate name is a play on the cult heavens gate 

Cheers

From an Evo Gate member 

Evolutionu Akbar!!!!!! *slaps face* Evolutionu Akbar!! *slaps face* Evolutionu Akbar!!!

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, evogate. You're trying

Hi, evogate. You're trying to educate people about evolution? Care to explain this, then?

From http://evolutionsgate.org:

"Evolution is the fastest growing religion on earth, religion is evolving, eventually the whole world will be followers of evolution..."

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

evogate
evogate's picture
User is offlineOffline
daveyboy wrote: Hi,

daveyboy wrote:

Hi, evogate. You're trying to educate people about evolution? Care to explain this, then?

From http://evolutionsgate.org:

"Evolution is the fastest growing religion on earth, religion is evolving, eventually the whole world will be followers of evolution..."

Hi Daveyboy,

this was written about 4 years ago, religion could be argued to be an incorrect word, but it was written in the same way as saying "Soccer is religion for many people" the person doesn't actually worship and follow blindy soccer, the evolution being religion was simply implying that it was replaceing the hole where religion once was.

Peace champ

evogate
evogate's picture
User is offlineOffline
and by fastest growing, I'm

and by fastest growing, I'm simply referring to where I was living at the time majority of people I knew were baptised as children but were athiests of agnostic, and most had  a solid belief (if this is the correct word) in evolution, I say belief as solid understanding wouldn't be correct.

where as I've never known a person to turn religious, but known many to turn from religion, and in all modern countrys that I've been to more people are becomming atheists or agnostics then turning to religion, this might be incorrect of the US though as I've never been there. 

gobaskof
User is offlineOffline
I think religion is

I think religion is completely the wrong word for evolution! The who point is its not a religion is is science! You cant teach religion in science lessons, hence why people like Kent Hovind always call evolution a religion!

Religion: a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

Evolution can not be a fundamental set of beliefs because it changes  (or evolvesTongue out) as our knowledge increases.

Also evolution, does not attempt to put forward a possible moral code or rituals.

Saying evolution is a religion is like saying gravity is a religion or general relativity. That just makes no sense!

If evolution turns into a religion then the fundamentalists can have it out of schools in a second!

Also people don't follow evolution in the way they follow a football team! A football team is like a religion, most people pick one stick with it for life, what determines there football team is more often based on where they come from or there parents. Science is not like that! DON'T TURN SCIENCE INTO A RELIGION! THAT IS ALMOST AS IRRATIONAL AS BELIEVING IN INVISIBLE MEN IN THE SKY!

Sorry to rant at you like that but it needed to be said!

Quote:
I would almost as soon believe with the old and ignorant cosmogonists, that fossil shells had never lived, but had been created in stone so as to mock the shells now living on the sea-shore. - Charles Darwin

evogate
evogate's picture
User is offlineOffline
gobaskof wrote: Iis like

gobaskof wrote:
I
is like saying gravity is a religion

it keeps me on the ground 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
evogate wrote: gobaskof

evogate wrote:

gobaskof wrote:
I
is like saying gravity is a religion

it keeps me on the ground

No, that's the FSM, holding you down with His Noodly Appendage. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gravity is a lie! It's all

Gravity is a lie!

It's all about Intelligent Falling! 

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:

Gravity is a lie!

It's all about Intelligent Falling!

Good call *wipes tear from eye* Cool

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

Veritas
User is offlineOffline
To have faith in anything

To have faith in anything is to have faith in nothing, to have faith in nothing is to have faith in everything. Or is it to have nothing is having everything and having everything is having nothing. To live is to die and to die is to live. To being a criminal is justice to being just is criminal. To truth is a lie, to lie is truth.

--Veritas 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do think religion is the

I do think religion is the wrong word for evolution or science or anything. Religion implies a level of irrational and often irreversable faith. The beauty of science is in our ability to adapt and see the universe as evidence presents itself. Personally, my viewis that we have to have faith in two things:

1) We exist.

2) The universe in which we find ourselves exists including all other people and life forms.

This faith is not an irrational faith to have because it is something we can sense and trust in empirically. Because we experience it, it is there in some form or other.

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
I smell something fishey...

I smell something fishy... something Jesus fishy.

rab
rab's picture
User is offlineOffline
The title of the thread is

The title of the thread is Jesus fishy.

evogate
evogate's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol the title of the thread

lol

the title of the thread is a joke its from this vid

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bcbTJgeJrw0

where the d00d is sooooo angry, while the atheist is so calm, then the angry reporter goes "why are you so angry!!" LOL 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Isn't the fox news

Isn't the fox news slogan:

"Fox News: Fair and Balanced"?

If so they're lying. If that's what passes for serious, mainstream telly in America I'm worried. I'm so glad Fox doesn't exist over here.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The biggest problem with the

The biggest problem with the slogan is the word "News".

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I would've though fair and

I would've though fair and balanced were equally lies. They may as well call it Fox.

spanish rationalist
User is offlineOffline
perspective 8000km

what scares me is the perception that there is a genuine need to get in the godsquad's faces so hard. i'm not condemning - shit, spain is a secular country so i don't have to put up with a rabid religious press/tv/radio culture, (and i thank god for that every day Wink), but if i were still in the u.s., i'm not sure that i'd choose brian's way. teenage angst is a two edged sword, and you make yourself easy marks for the foxy insults and counter charges. maybe better to have a more sweeping statement, and couched in positive terms not denial.

what about something like : my own powers of reason convince me that i have no need to believe in the supernatural, in any god or divine creator and i wish to go on record as affirming this.

you might get more people prepared to come out and say that. more reason and less bible burning might convince more....

just a thought.

spanish rationalist, olé

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I personally don't think

I personally don't think it's enough just to affirm our own beliefs, religion is a dangerous force in places like America, there has to be a fight for educating people in science and reason and for secularisation of schooling. I don't think we should be nasty or insult theists, as I have noticed a bit on here, but we should engage with them in debate and try to change their minds. Hurling insults at them isn't going to win them over.