Words of wisdom from your local cubicle extremeist....

healthy.addictions
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Words of wisdom from your local cubicle extremeist....

So I was speaking to my co-worker about how on April 13th of 2036 we might get smashed to pieces by an asteroid.

(http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/UN-urged-to-address-2036-asteroid-threat/2007/02/18/1171733600417.html)

Me: That would suck huh?

Extremist: What can you do? There's not a lot.

Me: Well you know, since we're the big bad United States we'll probably try and pull some armagedon stunt.

Extremist: “Well if it’s coming there’s nothing that you can do about it but prepare to die, just like you should be doing everyday.”

---silence---

WTF*ck guys? I know there's people out there like this... but I haven't met one until recently. AND I HAVE TO SIT NEXT TO HER EVERY DAY!!!

Well, at least now I know why she doesn't give two sh*ts about global warming.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I feel your pain.  At my

I feel your pain.  At my last job, someone asked me what church I go to and I told them I was 'unaffiliated'.  That was met with stony silence.  I was also asked if I was a heathen because I had a buddha statue on my desk (my Opa was a buddhist and he had passed away).  It only got worse.  I lived in a co-ed (not romantic) situation and one woman would storm away if I mentioned anything about my living situation.  I was finally told to keep my 'lifestyle' to myself. 

It's a sticky situation, good luck!

If god takes life he's an indian giver

healthy.addictions
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: (my Opa

pariahjane wrote:

(my Opa was a buddhist and he had passed away). 

You have an Opa too eh? (and I'm guessing an Oma too Eye-wink )

Ugh - it's just all so mind-numbing...

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
For a group that "values

For a group that "values life" so much they seem to state an awfully morbid hope for death. Though I do think a lot of them are just paying lip service to "being with the father".

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yup, I have an Oma too. 

Yup, I have an Oma too.  Smiling

Sometimes I think they really do just sit around and wait to die.  And then they ask us how life can be worth living without god?  It just doesn't make any sense.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I feel

pariahjane wrote:

I feel your pain. At my last job, someone asked me what church I go to and I told them I was 'unaffiliated'. That was met with stony silence. I was also asked if I was a heathen because I had a buddha statue on my desk (my Opa was a buddhist and he had passed away). It only got worse. I lived in a co-ed (not romantic) situation and one woman would storm away if I mentioned anything about my living situation. I was finally told to keep my 'lifestyle' to myself.

It's a sticky situation, good luck!

Because I'm a vocalist I often get asked which church I go to.  I always respond, "I'm a heathen."  Beats 'em to the punch. :D 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
healthy.addictions

healthy.addictions wrote:
WTF*ck guys? I know there's people out there like this... but I haven't met one until recently. AND I HAVE TO SIT NEXT TO HER EVERY DAY!!! 

I am surrounded by such people.  Fundies... fundies... everywhere fundies.  And yes, it can get difficult.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I am

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I am surrounded by such people.  Fundies... fundies... everywhere fundies.  And yes, it can get difficult.  

I don't know how you handle it.  It used to make me crazy!!! I just kept my mouth shut and left the room whenever someone went into some sort of 'christian morals' rant.  At least now I don't have to worry about it, I work in a huge company in NYC and no one cares I'm even here, much less what religion I profess to.  Phew!!

Iphtashu Fitz
Iphtashu Fitz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote: I am

Iruka Naminori wrote:

I am surrounded by such people. Fundies... fundies... everywhere fundies. And yes, it can get difficult.

Makes me glad that I've lived in New England virtually all of my life. There's a lot of variety when it comes to religion around here but harly any Fundies that I come across. (Maybe I'm just lucky! Tongue out)

Also makes me VERY glad I never got offered that job down in Alabama that I had a job interview for way back when I graduated from college.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Iruka

pariahjane wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

I am surrounded by such people. Fundies... fundies... everywhere fundies. And yes, it can get difficult.

I don't know how you handle it. It used to make me crazy!!! I just kept my mouth shut and left the room whenever someone went into some sort of 'christian morals' rant. At least now I don't have to worry about it, I work in a huge company in NYC and no one cares I'm even here, much less what religion I profess to. Phew!!

What's really bizarre (and frustrating) is that I live in California.  Yes, California!  There are fundy enclaves in various places: the foothills, Orange County and (I've heard) San Diego.  Of course, the more rural the area, the more fundies, or so it seems.

I grew up in this community when it was even worse.  As the community grows, more and more people from the Bay Area seem to trickle in.  This has always made the fundies very very angry.  Recently a fundy lady I knew moved to Texas.  I don't know why, exactly.  She home-schooled her kids (I guess the local fundy school wasn't fundy enough), so I have wondered if maybe she thinks this area is getting too worldly.  I don't know the real reason. I'm just guessing.

My voice teacher just moved here from the Bay Area and she's a Zen Buddhist.  I hope she's making the skins of the local fundy music contingent simply crawl. :D  My music teacher said that someone had told her to be careful what she does and be careful what she says because word gets around in this community. 

Yeah, I've noticed.

I would really like to move to the coast, but because of my chronic illnesses my options are limited.  I've come to feel very trapped here.  Every time I've looked into a way to leave, it hasn't worked out.  Recently I put out some feelers and I'm terrified the system will make it impossible.

A recent example: Because the cost of living went up, my disability check went up $30 (I get a whopping $856 a month now).  Almost as quickly, my rent went up $31.  

For awhile I was trying to participate in group therapy for people with fundy backgrounds.  The facilitator wanted me to ask for a brainstorming session on how to leave my small town.  Unfortunately, I got sick and had to go to bed.  At that point, the facilitator accused me of not wanting to accept responsibility for my life (i.e. not really wanting a way out of this town). 

No, I really was sick.  In fact, I was sick for weeks and got tested for mono and a bunch of other lingering illnesses.  One lady in attendance said she was great at thinking of ways out of sticky situations.  I really had been looking forward to her input.

Later, I e-mailed her, told her the circumstances in all their gory detail and the only thing she could think of was moving to a country where there's a better safety net.  I'd already thought of that, but the chronic illnesses wouldn't let me move anywhere by myself, let alone another country.  Also, I'm a liability.  It's hard to emigrate if you don't have anything to offer.

At some point I really wish I could find someone who would help me figure this out. *shrug*  So far, I haven't found a workable plan.

James Cizuz
James Cizuz's picture
User is offlineOffline
Punch her in the nuts.

Punch her in the nuts.

healthy.addictions
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
James Cizuz wrote: Punch

James Cizuz wrote:
Punch her in the nuts.

xD

I'll keep that in mind when I see her today.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think so many theists hope

I think so many theists hope for death because their theism is depressing. And they selfishly don't want to suffer in their ignorance alone.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.