College for an active Atheist?

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
College for an active Atheist?

If a person wanted to seriously get into the fight against Theism, how could they make a career/life out of it? I'm just thinking of how something like that could work out, if possible.  What would/could you go to college for? What do you do from there?

I'm kinda just realizing this (and I think many of us don't see it this way).....

This is arguablly the most important struggle that mankind has or will ever face.  This is NO JOKE. The outcome of all this could be the single greatest event in recorded history.  There's no other way to say it. I'll be on the front lines. I just need to know where the front lines are, how to fight, etc.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is going to be a

This is going to be a cultural war, if the victory is to ever last. Therefore, become a cultural warrior. Be a writer, be a memeticist, be a memetic engineer, be a marketer, be a lawyer, be a politician, be a celebrity, be a journalist, be a popularizer of science, be a scientist, be an artist, be a computer programmer, be an investor.

Be whatever you want to be, but just keep your eyes on the prize and steer your career/life toward providing some support to the cultural war. 

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Family_Guy
Family_Guy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd suggest getting into

I'd suggest getting into law, which gives you the background necessary to handle a debate (even if you aren't nearly as intelligent as your opposition, which is my problem a great deal of the time) as well as psychology.

Knowing why theists are as insane as they are gives you the keys on breaking them.  A broken theist separated from the herd becomes a generic person who no longer holds an opinion - which is a hell of a lot better than a "I <3 me some God" generic theist.

"Like Fingerpainting 101, gimme no credit for having class; one thumb on the pulse of the nation, one thumb in your girlfriend's ass; written on, written off, some calling me a joke, I don't think that I'm a sellout but I do enjoy Coke."

-BHG

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree that you could do

I agree that you could do almost anything but I think that some of the proffesions that would help you out best would be Biology, politics, or philosophy.

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
My Alma Mater: Eugene Lang

My Alma Mater: Eugene Lang College (lang.edu) at the New School in NYC was voted one of the top five schools where "...students ignore God on a regular basis" ... The religious studies department, where I did good deal of my work on the sociology of Anti-Evolutionism, is very good at dissecting religious traditions ... Specifically at the New School, Cultural Studies, Anthropology, Philosophy and Social History are also very good places to develop criticisms of religion.

Of course, choosing a field has a great deal to do with how you view society, history, etc.  What sort of philosophy of the humanities do you subscribe to?

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha I don't know. I don't

Haha I don't know. I don't really know much about Philosophy, I've just read some basic stuff here and there.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
What grade are you in? 

What grade are you in?  What kinds of stuff are you interested in?

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right now I'm a Sophmore

Right now I'm a Sophmore and I guess my strengths would be in Writing, Speaking, Languages, stuff like that.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
crushingstep7 wrote: Right

crushingstep7 wrote:

Right now I'm a Sophmore and I guess my strengths would be in Writing, Speaking, Languages, stuff like that.

Well, there are a million ways to approach a problem.  My suggestion would be to find an angle of atheism/anti-theism/reason, etc. you like and explore how to use that interest/strength to meet your goal.  You know, I'm going to 24, I've been out of college for a few years now and am only now figuring out how I can contribute to the promotion of reason over supersitition ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm not really sure what

I'm not really sure what you mean by finding an angle of atheism...

Sry, I tend to get lost in here sometimes lol.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
For instance, I approach

For instance, I approach the problem of theism by focusing on Anti-evolutionism, and specifically the social, historical and political implications of it ... I have always been interested in the science and religion their interplay in society and finding out exactly how and why religion's attempt to undermine science is important to investigate.

Needless to say, my work is not the only way one can investigate issues surrounding atheism ... I always like to think that we all have a something that we're good at that we like to do that we can contribute tot he group effort.  Is that a little clearer?

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok, I get what you're

Ok, I get what you're saying. I guess I haven't really decided what my angle is.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
Well, I suppose that's why

Well, I suppose that's why we're all here ... to help eachother figure out what our angles are ...

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
There's lots of different

There's lots of different fields you get into, as mentioned before.  You'll get electives in college and you can pretty much pick whatever classes you want, so if I were you, I'd definitely dabble outside your major, if possible.  I took a cultural anthropology class that I thought was great.  You have some time to read up on stuff.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah I guess I have a couple

Yeah I guess I have a couple years to think about exacty what I want to do but it looks like Psychology, Philosophy, and Biology would help me out the most.

Nazookie
User is offlineOffline
Speaking of College, I

Speaking of College, I heard down at UCLA that Eric Scerri teaches Logic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4lkXKZ9ZsM

*cough* LOL *cough*

crushingstep7
Theist
crushingstep7's picture
User is offlineOffline
Omg that was funny shit. "I

Omg that was funny shit. "I teach LOGIC muthfuckah!"