"god{first cause/prime mover} exists{probably} and there it lies"-Thomas Paine; {Iconoclastithon}

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
"god{first cause/prime mover} exists{probably} and there it lies"-Thomas Paine; {Iconoclastithon}

Greetings all.

My name is Bill, but you may call me by my screen name "Iconoclastithon".

I am a 28 year old Freethinker,heretic, and Iconoclast supreme.

I was raised as a Christian, and at age 16 or 17 did the "born again" dedication thing for myself with my full will{well...my ignorant will- not knowing how many options there were nor much about science and reason and personal experience,etc; but I fully CHOSE the faith} ; I spent the next several years or so{till I was 25} as an Evangelical Fundamentalist Christian metalhead{as I was allready a metalhead from age 10, and remain one still- the one religion that has been a LONG part of my life-METAL}; Allthough I did spend my last couple years or so going through various degrees of liberal christian thought until I fully apostasized and renounced Yahwehs and Christs "holy spirit"{MANY MANY times in many creative and blasphemous ways}. I,spent most of those years as a non-denominational evangelical whom mainly attended churches and bible study groups etc with a somewhat Pentecostal and charismatic flavouring. During those years I was always a somewhat controversial individual with my fellow Christians in the circles I was involve din, due to my tendency to be unafraid to challenge legalism and hypocrisy and prejudgementalism,etc; and later on I gained a tendeny in my last couple to 3 years of the faith towards challenging certain doctrines at church or in bible study-etc{such as the the bible as INFALLIBLE idea, and god beeing spoken of with primarily male based terms; amongst others- near the end in my most liberal phase I also got in shit for challenging the idea that the faith was truly opposed to homosexuality}; I even went to church dressed in pure black metal ensenble- make-up and all to challenge the PREJudgementalism based on appearanced of the people at churches of say goths and metalheds in their more "extreme" appearances.

In January 2004, I apostasized completely. Still believed that something intelligent probably set up natural laws and whatnot to this mathemetically precise and compexly ordered/designed cosmos; shortly thereafter I found out about Deism, it fit me like a glove, and I've only expanded in my deistic thought since towards Pandeistic and PanenDeistic thought; but I've always applied Agnostic and skeptical methods to my thinking and searhc for the truth about such questions{at least for the most part}.

In April of that same year I joined the Universist Movement{freethought religious movement made up of self proclamed 'faithless" freethinkers such as Athiests, Deists, Agnostics,Sci-Pantheists,trancendentalists, humanists,etc} -whic was foundeed by freethinker{seemingly deisticlaly inclined} Ford Vox{and helped along by a deist friend and an athiest friend}. The movement fell apart April last year, and I no longer consider myself Universist.

I do have an interest in Occult ideas{primarily of the symbolic satanist/luciferian aspect; and the very libertarian type poetry and works of Alleister Crowley; amongst others}. I kep my midn open to certain occult,mystical,paranormal ideas- but from a more rationalistic perspective- agreeing that scientific method and reason need be applied to the research of and experimentation into such; As I believe there are certain mysteries that we have yet to fully understand or label with scientific labels.This remains essentally an experiment and hobby for me, but my actual view is firmly that of Deism and it's offshoots. I remains committedly non-theistic and freethinking.

That is me and my views in a nutshell.

I look forward to conversation and debate on these forums.

Best.

In Reason:

Iconoclastithon

"There is no greater weapon against errors of any kind than REASON, I have never used any other and I trust I never shall"-Thomas Paine

"God is the power of first cause, nature is the law, and matter is the subject acted upon"-Thomas Paine

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, Bill. That's quite

Welcome, Bill.

That's quite a life-story-resume you've got there.  No doubt you'll have plenty to contribute here on the forums. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iconoclastithon
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: Welcome,

Susan wrote:

Welcome, Bill.

That's quite a life-story-resume you've got there.  No doubt you'll have plenty to contribute here on the forums. 

Hi Susan. Thanks for the warm welcome.

I hope I can contribute, and perhaps learn.

In Reason:

IconoBill 

"There is no greater weapon against errors of any kind than REASON, I have never used any other and I trust I never shall"-Thomas Paine

"God is the power of first cause, nature is the law, and matter is the subject acted upon"-Thomas Paine

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's definitely one really

That's definitely one really great perk about these forums - there's always plenty to learn from some pretty incredible folks.

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote: That's

Susan wrote:
That's definitely one really great perk about these forums - there's always plenty to learn from some pretty incredible folks.

I can attest to that.  I've been here for a little over a week, and my head hurts from all the new information I've absorbed.  I love this place.  

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
mindspread wrote: Susan

mindspread wrote:

Susan wrote:

I can attest to that. I've been here for a little over a week, and my head hurts from all the new information I've absorbed. I love this place.

At least your head hurts from the absorbtion.  I think it started running back out my ears sometime back.  Wink