Good Day, Good Folks

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
Good Day, Good Folks

Hello freethinkers.

I've been looking in on freethought programming for a little while now and I've finally decided to come by these boards. I suppose, as this is my introductory post, I should say a little bit about myself.

Having no belief in a god, I suppose that you all would reasonably call me an atheist. I don't identify as atheist though, since I do not put weight in the idea of there being no god either. I also don't consider myself an agnostic and I really haven't found a name which describes my beliefs. Ultimately, my beliefs are primarily based on semantics (for an idea of the sort of beliefs I hold, you can check my latest blog post).

I am a PhD student in mathematical logic and I've looked into various philosophical disciplines as a layperson. I've also had basic historical and philosophical introductions to all the major world religions and several smaller ones. Clearly, by my above paragraph, I have found all of the religions I've looked into lacking.

In any case, I consider no topic of conversation out-of-bounds and while I am generally polite in debate, I hold no arguments back. I hope to get into some interesting conversations here.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Ylab. You'll feel

Welcome Ylab. You'll feel right at home here - plenty of circular logic to dispell!

mouse
User is offlineOffline
hello yiab.

hello yiab.

i really appreciate your response to the the blasphemy challenge on your blog. it is excellent.

Ethics and aesthetics are one
-Wittgenstein

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
Hey, Yiab! I fell in love

Hey, Yiab! I fell in love with mathematical logic as an undergrad, but I listened to my analysis professors, and dropped it in grad school. That didn't turn out well. Sad

What university are you studying at?

Yiab
User is offlineOffline
MrRage: I'm at McMaster

MrRage: I'm at McMaster university. Yup, I'm a canuck, eh?