Athletes thanking God

RationalSchema
RationalSchema's picture
User is offlineOffline
Athletes thanking God

Have you ever watched an athlete thank God for his victory?? I guess he out prayed the oppositons. I thought God was just and fair?? Why would he choose one team over the other?? Was it god's plan? or maybe you are just good at something on your own. Yea, God hates the bears and loves the Colts??

"Those who think they know don't know. Those that know they don't know, know."

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess God has favorite

I guess God has favorite football teams, snacks, people, etc, etc..

Not fair, huh? 

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
All this time, god hated the

All this time, god hated the red socks.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, until about 3 years

Yeah, until about 3 years ago. That always reminds me of some comedian that mentioned the losing team never blames God - "Yeah, I was doing great until JESUS made me drop the ball!"

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you ever noticed what

Have you ever noticed what comes right after thanking god for the victory? 

"I'm going to Disneyland!"

Need I say more?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

voltaire28
User is offlineOffline
  Here's a great athlete

Here's a great athlete quote: 

"Money is my god.  If you think god will help you, then quit your job and see how much he cares." -- Mike Tyson

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
"All the cards seemed to be

"All the cards seemed to be lining up in our favor, I guess the Lord forgot about the field-goal team."

Mike Vanderjagt on blowing a routine field goal that would have tied the 2006 AFC Divisional Playoff with the Steelers (the Steelers who went on to win the Super Bowl).

As a Steelers fan, I can only assume that God loves me and hates Vanderjagt, right? 

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I'm a Steelers fan too, and

I'm a Steelers fan too, and they won. We're both atheists. That proves God doesn't exist! (OK not really, but it's better than a lot of Christian arguments I've seen!)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
Well shit, who doesn't hate

Well shit, who doesn't hate Vanderjagt, the Colts and the Cowboys - other than immoral, vapid scum.

The Cowboys are the anti-football god. Damn them and their fans. May you burn in metaphorical hell, you bastards. 

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I hate the Cowboys and New

I hate the Cowboys and New England (ever since they won against the Raiders because of that "tuck rule.&quotEye-wink Ever notice how New England tends to get all the calls in their favor?

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
This nonsense is so

This nonsense is so prevalent in the UFC for some reason. It seems that most of the fighters are Jesus freaks. Too many blows to the head, maybe? When one Jesus freak gets his ass kicked by another Jesus freak, as in the Rich Franklin/Anderson Silva fight, is it because Rich didn't do the right rituals? Is it because Anderson made the sign of the cross and Rich didn't? I'm confused. 

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a Bengals fan I must ask

As a Bengals fan I must ask all the Steelers fans out there - What the hell happened this season?  You looked lie us a couple years agoTongue out

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
So is it fair to say that

So is it fair to say that god has a permanent hate on for the whole damn city of Detroit?

Or what about Atlanta?  Letting the Braves get so many wins, and so many division titles, and only the one World Series?  That smacks of teasing to me.  God has a sadistic sense of humor.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, that bastard.

Yeah, that bastard.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Detroit, I believe, is

Detroit, I believe, is eternally cursed by the presence of Matt Milen - a name the devil himself fears.

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

TheGrapeOfWrath
User is offlineOffline
Well duh!

Well duh!  Who would have an imaginary friend who didn't want you to score.  

That would be just plain weird. 

willthescaryatheist
User is offlineOffline
Actually it can be pathetic

Actually it can be pathetic sometimes too. They put in all that hard work to become so good at what they do, then they credit their hard-earned acheivements to god. It is kind of pathetic watching them give away the credit they deserve.

Named
Named's picture
User is offlineOffline
Haha, I can't recall which

Haha, I can't recall which comedian it was... He remarked on how Athletes thank God for their victories and went on to say just ONCE he wanted to hear the losing team blame God.

"Yeah, we were doing great... Until JESUS made me fumble!"

Live 'til you die.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
xamination wrote: As a

xamination wrote:
As a Bengals fan I must ask all the Steelers fans out there - What the hell happened this season? You looked lie us a couple years agoTongue out

Fine, rub it in you bastard, we deserve it, this season was a let down. Could have something to do with Ben getting his head smashed on motorcylce rides, and us lacking in the defensive secondary - especially the corners. 

Personally, I think Ben isn't scared enough anymore - he's thinking too much and not playing on instinct. That and our secondary sucked total balls. 

But, hey, at least we aren't the Bengals. Only the Bengals can be the Bengals.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Fine, rub it in you

Quote:
Fine, rub it in you bastard, we deserve it, this season was a let down. Could have something to do with Ben getting his head smashed on motorcylce rides, and us lacking in the defensive secondary - especially the corners.

Yeah, you guys should just have gone with Charlie Batch for the whole season.

Quote:

Yep.  We do have something called an offense, though.  You may not have heard of it; it's quite new.  It's really revolutionizing the game. 

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
xamination

xamination wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yep. We do have something called an offense, though. You may not have heard of it; it's quite new. It's really revolutionizing the game.

Offense? When did you get that? 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
That is so anoying. It

That is so anoying. It devalues the player's talent and devalues life in general.

Why shouldnt their hard work be atrbuted to them and not some fictional character. And pretending for arguments sake that such a being did exist seems to me that it's priorities would be messed up if it cared about rich millionairs when children are dying in Darfur.

The logic morally alone is reprehensable. I love many pro sports. Womans pro tennis and NFL in particular, but it does get anoying that these players go out of their way to advertise for their sectarian religion.

If I owned an NFL team my priority would be filling the seats and I wouldnt care what religion the ticket buyers were. If anything I think that kind of behaivor in such a high profile setting sends a message to non-Christians "this is a christian owned sport".

That is the same type of bigoted attitude whites once had about golf and hockey. One NBA player made the suggestion that every team in the league put crosses on their uniforms.

When will this type of selfish cheerleading end? 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
voltaire28

voltaire28 wrote:

Here's a great athlete quote:

"Money is my god. If you think god will help you, then quit your job and see how much he cares." -- Mike Tyson

Good quote, but damn, it couldnt have come from a more dumb blond guy like him. God must have gotten even. Oh wait, he's just financially stupid, no magic in that. 

He also said to Holyfield, "Fellow boxer, lend me your ear." 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: xamination wrote:

Quote:
xamination wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Yep. We do have something called an offense, though. You may not have heard of it; it's quite new. It's really revolutionizing the game.

Last year, I'll admit.  But lets play nice and agree that neither of us will ever be as bad as the Browns...*shudder*

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
xamination

xamination wrote:
Quote:
xamination wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Last year, I'll admit.

Oh, so after half the team went to jail. 

Quote:
But lets play nice and agree that neither of us will ever be as bad as the Browns...*shudder*

lol - In PA, you find harmony via mutual hatred of the Cowboys, but the Browns will suffice Eye-wink 

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Oh, so after half

Quote:
Oh, so after half the team went to jail.

What can I say, we're real "street" in Cin City