Super Bowl Lament [Colts, Manning, Dungy straight up suck ...]

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Super Bowl Lament [Colts, Manning, Dungy straight up suck ...]

Now, as a PATS fan, I hate the Colts ... but when Dungy said that he was more proud to be a Christian coach winning the Super Bowl rather than the first African American to win, I think I threw up in my mouth a little.  I thought that one of the redeeming factors of the Colts and Bears getting to the Super Bowl (as opposed to the PATS and the Saints) was that we would definately have a black coach winning, which made me very rpoud as a sports fan ... When Dungy said that his team won it "the Lord's way" and that Jesus ordained them to win, it was disgusting ... Football is one of the most Christian sports in our country; when has a Christian coach (even a nominally Christian) not won the Super Bowl? - Further, why is it such a big deal that a Christian won? - Christians are not oppressed in this country (social, political and economic oppression has been visited on Blacks in this hemisphere since the first Africans were brought over here in the 16th century - you know, during the same period that Christians were burning heretics at the stake).  And what does it mean to be a Christian team?  Do you take a vow of poverty?  Do you evangelize to other players?  Do you let the meek teams inherit the field?  I'm sorry this is such a mess- I'm just really upset about this.  You play a game - a great game - but its just a game.  If there was a supreme being, some divine intelligence that ran the universe, setting the physical constants, creating nebulae, why the fuck would she care who won the Super Bowl?!  And does she hate Chicago now?  She definately hates New Orleans!  Any individual who thinks a god(ess) ordains their athletic team in a (super fun and exciting but) ultimately meaningless game is practicing a sort of egomania that is beyond words ... Tony Dungy should be ashamed of himself.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote: Any

Conn_in_Brooklyn wrote:
Any individual who thinks a god(ess) ordains their athletic team in a (super fun and exciting but) ultimately meaningless game is practicing a sort of egomania that is beyond words ... Tony Dungy should be ashamed of himself.

I wonder how many of the world's children died during that game. Seems like a god's energies would be better spent fixing them than fixing a football game. Especially since people bet on football and to fix a game like that is illegal. My non-god, it appears that this god guy is a felon. Dungy has broken the web of deceit wide open.

Anyway, yeah it is pretty disgusting. And I liked the Colts. This is what America is becoming. Clinton and Obama are acting like christian conservatives declaring their faith in the public square realizing they can't win an election without doing so. It is getting to the point where no matter where you turn god is sticking his non-existent nose into places it doesn't belong. It has come to the point where I no longer have any respect whatsoever for the country of my birth, a once shining example of freedom and diversity. Its sad. 

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
You know, we tolerate a lot

You know, we tolerate a lot of religious expression in our lives, most of which I think we accept or are desensitized to ... I, for the most part, accept religious statements in the public sphere but you hit the nail on the head - it is the notion that rather then save 1,000 Somali children, God made Rex Grossman throw 2 interceptions, etc. that really gets to me ... And the pervasive narcissism/chauvenism of Dungy's belief.

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I remember that comedian

I remember that comedian who mentioned how athletes never blame God when they lose "I would have made that touchdown, but Jesus made me drop the ball!"

On the other hand it was a pretty good Superbowl - very close most of the game, though there were a ton of turnovers. A couple good commercials, too - my favorite were 2 Budweiser ones - the one where the auctioneer did the wedding and the one where all those people were bitch-slapping each other.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
As far as I'm concerned, The

As far as I'm concerned, The Super Bowl was two weeks ago in Indianapolis against my Patriots ... the first quarter of this game was incredible, all the turnovers and whatnot - oh and half time with Prince was fucking great!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I didn't want to see "Priss"

I didn't want to see "Priss" so I came online during halftime.

xamination
xamination's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll just point out that

I'll just point out that sexy Rexy could have used all the prayer he could get.  Ugh... he not only ruined my fantasy team, he ruined the Bears season.  Just don't turn it over and you'll be fine.  Kyle Orton undertood that...

I hope that when the world comes to an end I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to.

Conn_in_Brooklyn
User is offlineOffline
Ok, it's all cleared up now

Ok, it's all cleared up now ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF--G1zmyTw

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just tell yourselves, "It's

Just tell yourselves, "It's only a game.  It's only a game.  It's only a game."

Oh oh.  Was that blasphemy?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.