What can I buy with my points? :)

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
What can I buy with my points? :)

And if I can't buy anything with them, why give them out in the first place? Sticking out tongue

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
We will have the RRS store

We will have the RRS store offering downloads and other related products, working this year.  Points accumulated now, will be redeemable in the store. 

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Support our activism efforts by making your Amazon purchases via this link.

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Even in the FTT forum?

Even in the FTT forum?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
American Atheist

American Atheist wrote:
Even in the FTT forum?

Not sure.  Probably not.  It was my hope to have the points shared from FTT over here, but my coder never worked that one out for me.  It's a bitch to set the store up twice, hard enough to set it up once.  We'll see.  And even so, we can set it up at a much later date.

Please donate to one of these highly rated charities to help impede the GOP attack on America 2017-2019.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I think you worded that

I think you worded that carfully sapient...

Technoly you could wait till next new years Sticking out tongue

I know I would enjoy such a system with being so cheap and all. I know I want the scientology show probably those more educational shows too.

Maybe you could have downloads for desktops or icons at lower point levels so people can still get cool stuff? I might even be able to help out with some of those things.

Or maybe have a thing were someone can send in a pic and I'll put the RRS badge in the background. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: We will have

Sapient wrote:
We will have the RRS store offering downloads and other related products, working this year. Points accumulated now, will be redeemable in the store.

Can I redeem them for Heidi Clume? 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
I like the idea of the

I like the idea of the points earning you downloads, better avatars, ranks, or whatever. But yea, I have no clue how to do that Puzzled

Maybe you could eventually earn your badge? heh 

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline

Avatars? No, but you could always send in a picture of yourself and for some odd 100+ points have your picture with the RRS badge photoshopped together.

Just an idea. 

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There does tend to be some

There does tend to be some very cool ways to use points on a forum. Usually I've seen such a system on a forum mostly dealing with role play, getting bigger avatars with more choices for them, more access to forums generally locked to average members, even occassional mod powers, etc. But it works with more commercial type applications like downloading and shops as well.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ophios wrote: Avatars? No,

Ophios wrote:

Avatars? No, but you could always send in a picture of yourself and for some odd 100+ points have your picture with the RRS badge photoshopped together.

Just an idea.

I could do it myself. :P  (But I wouldn't without the expressed written consent of the RRS and the National Football League.) 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Iruka, you're allowed to

Iruka, you're allowed to put a badge behind your head.  Smiling

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
how about things like what

how about things like what you find at evolve fish? stickers, tees, that dress up jesus magnet thing, god detector....emblems in case some christian nut job pries yours off.....

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Lots of fun ideas in this

Lots of fun ideas in this thread, feel free to keep em coming.  Basically we'll have a full store, and all items will be for sale, but in lieu of cash you can use points.  There wont be specific items that are meant for points only.  With this in mind we don't want to compete with our biggest sponsor evolvefish, so you wont see much of what they sell, we may however get them to donate some items for the store here and there.  Your purchases and donations will earn you points as well. 

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
The only downfall I see

The only downfall I see here is that people might make lots of meaningless posts just to increase their point totals.

Woo hoo that's 4 more points for me Eye-wink 

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 wrote: The only

V1per41 wrote:

The only downfall I see here is that people might make lots of meaningless posts just to increase their point totals.

Woo hoo that's 4 more points for me Eye-wink 

This is true. Spam is usually a big problem for forums when bringing in point systems. Usually however it only lasts for a little while, especially when forums have a "void" area to throw useless and meaningless posts so that points aren't rewarded for their posting(the second a post goes in there the points awarded for it's posting are automatically removed). After the first outbreak, you get the odd incident from a new member, but they tend to learn quickly.

I would recommend a slight change in the point awarding. You get twice as many points for a reply as you do for a topic, when topics are by definition more site content than replies are.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it would be cool to

I think it would be cool to receive customized banners in exchange for points.  You know, something you'd post on a website/myspace site/blog/sig etc. that maybe had a message with your username in it.  "(random dude) is a proud member of the RRS."  or something along those lines.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I just installed a module

I just installed a module that allows me to add points and subtract points from any user I want.  Abusers of the point system will receive reductions with no explanation, people who make lengthy and poignant posts each time will receive increases in points with no explanation.  We wont use this feature often, but it will be used. 

A few adjustments will be made today to reflect some of the posters who really go the extra mile to maintain a high level of quality in their posts.  In the future we will come up with ways to award people points for specific actions, as we now have the capability to add at will.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 I hope nobody gets upset

I hope nobody gets upset about these additions, the following users have been awarded points for a high level of quality in their posts.  So many of you deserve more points based on this, so many of you have contributed immensely to helping to stop irrationality, and in the future as time permits we'll find ways to recognize all of you.  Thanks for hanging around, but these people have been very important in my eyes:

Todangst: 1000  (the mods all deserve 1,000 points but it's tedious to add and subtract points, so accept my apologies.  You'll all be rewarded with free access to shows for your hard work at somepoint in lieu of extra points.)

BobSpence1: 1000

Hambydamnit: 666

MarthaSplatterhead: 666 

Randalllord: 500

StMichael: -500 (irrationality discount)

Rook_Hawkins
RRS CO-FOUNDER
Rook_Hawkins's picture
User is offlineOffline

Laughing

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
LOL for the -500

LOL for the -500 irrationality discount. Damn. Wish I could have gotten a 666, but shit, I got a pretty high count anyway.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Matt I think you'll be able

Matt I think you'll be able to manage with that 3000+ Sticking out tongue

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
What an excellent idea!

What an excellent idea! These folks have certainly made significant contributions.

And, instead of an irrationality discount, why not call it the "La La La I Can't Hear You" negative award? Eye-wink

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.