Vessel intro

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vessel intro

Just a quick intro for any interested.

I am a lifelong atheist living in Coastal Mississippi. I consider my atheism to be my natural state, being as that I was never taught one way or the other concerning a god or gods. It simply was not discussed in my family when I was growing up. There were a few trips to church on special days to appease grandparents who attended regularly, but I was very young at the time and never gave any thought to what was being discussed.

Later in life, I began to wonder why everyone else seemed to believe in this crazy concept of a deity and began to read, now and then, from the bible and other sources, the stories many others had been brought up with. Needless to say, I found nothing but fantastical fables and myths with what was obviously little to no basis in reality as I knew it. To this day, I have never been able to understand how anyone can possibly delude themself into taking these stories to be actual accounts of historical events.

In other words, I have not chosen to be an atheist, it is simply what I am due to an inability to believe that which is unbelievable. The more I read, from both the theistic and atheistic perspective, the harder it becomes for me to understand how so many seemingly intelligent rational people can hold such ridiculous beliefs.

Anyway, that's the view from my personal perspective on this whole atheism/theism thing-a-ma-bob.

And, oh yeah, hello.

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Vessel! We're Glad

Welcome Vessel!

We're Glad to have you aboard and we're looking forward to your contributions.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Great to have ya here.

Great to have ya here.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome. Seems like we had

Welcome. Seems like we had similar experiences growing up. Though the only time I've entered a church was to vote.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.