Hi

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi

Found this site after reading an interesting opinion article by Sam Harris at latimes.com. Not yet sure just how active a forumer I'll be here, but we'll see.

I take things to a level beyond most, in that I deny the possibility of, not just the existance of, a supreme being of any intellect whatsoever. So I'm sure I'll be in good company here.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: I deny the

Vastet wrote:
I deny the possibility of, not just the existance of, a supreme being of any intellect whatsoever.

Why?

Evolution has managed to produce intelligent beings on this planet in an extremely short time. If this process has been going on indefinitely, why would it be impossible for extremely advanced or even "supreme" forms of intelligence to develop?

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
An intellect superior to

An intellect superior to ourselves is in no way equatable with a supreme deity, which the laws of physics, simple logic, and human history disprove completely.

daveyboy
daveyboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: ...the laws

Vastet wrote:
...the laws of physics, simple logic, and human history disprove completely.

How so?? That's a pretty bold claim you made there. Could you elaborate?  

"You are 'atheist' simply you are PSYCHO or IGNORANCE. That's why even youself feel like not EXIST on this world."
~Yahoo message board poster

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Figured that was coming.

Figured that was coming. I'm a bit limitted in time atm, but I can expand a bit.

Laws of conservation show that Energy and Matter cannot be created or destroyed, though they are interchangeable(matter can be converted to energy and vice versa). Therefore everything that exists has always existed in some form of matter or energy. I would submit that the theorized big bang would be as close to a god as has ever existed(or has existed multiple times if infinate chains of big bangs are a fact), since all matter was energy and all energy occupied the same place at the same time. For a moment anyway. There's nothing to indicate energy has intelligence though.

Simple logic is that without other humans spreading the lie(s), religion would have died decades or centuries ago, and we'd all be laughing at our previous primitiveness instead of imersed in it. If every religious person and bit of materiel were confined outside the rest of the species, religion at this point wouldn't resurface, as we have enough general knowledge of the earth and it's surroundings not to fall into magic to explain reality. Logic also explains the rise of religion in our primitive culture to explain things that could not be explained, and to deflect a great amount of angst that was caused when we achieved the ability to question what makes things tick.

And history is the most telling of all, as there have been uncountable numbers of religions dating to the origins of history. None of them have lasted more than a few thousand years. And they can't all be accurate either, since they directly oppose each other on many fronts.

History is also full of mistaken identities. The Japanese invented dragons after viewing a comet, as an example. There are a tonne of natural phenomena that appear super natural if you don't know why it happens. Lightning and the Aurora Borealis are two perfect examples. Things like this make it easy to understand how someone with no comparable education to today could confuse a natural incident with a super natural power.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hi Vastet.

Hi Vastet. Laughing

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Vastet.  

Welcome Vastet.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism