I need to go to court

Matt-Evolved
Matt-Evolved's picture
User is offlineOffline
I need to go to court

But not for anything criminal or anti-christian or anything like that. I got a speeding ticket the other day and I have to go to court soon.

My question is, will I be required to swear on the Bible? Can I refuse to? Any law-people in hear with good advice?

"I call Christianity the one great curse, the one great intrinsic depravity, the one great instinct of revenge, for which no means are venomous enough, or secret, subterranean and small enough - I call it the one immortal blemish upon the human race." -

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Re: I need to go to court

Matt-Evolved wrote:
But not for anything criminal or anti-christian or anything like that. I got a speeding ticket the other day and I have to go to court soon.

My question is, will I be required to swear on the Bible? Can I refuse to? Any law-people in hear with good advice?

I don't think you'll have to swear on the bible, but you'll be asked to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you god. And all you say is I do. or say I do but I don't believe in a god..or whatever.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
I need to go to court

I believe you can tell them that you don't believe in God which means that you have no moral code and there is a distinct possibility that you'll do nothing but lie. :twisted:

I'm kidding, tell them you need to affirm, and that you wont put your hand on that book, say the word faith, or swear to god. They'll have an atheist procedure for you.

Atheist
User is offlineOffline
I need to go to court

I am not sure if they have updated the laws, but if they haven't, it use to be that if you don't believe in a god, and you lie in court, it can't be considered perjury, because of the whole "so help you god clause" I think that iit s no longer in effect since I think they now have the an atheist code of conduct clause.

Then again... people think we are evil so what is the point... According to them, the only people that can tell the truth are people that believe in a god.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

Big_Drew
User is offlineOffline
I need to go to court

Are you gonna try to fight the ticket? Unless you go to trial and have to testify, you won't need to swear.

I am not concerned about hell, or heaven for that matter. If there is a god that sends people to hell, then he is no god of mine no matter how real he is. "Sick fuck," are the last words god would hear me say when he pulls the lever on the hell

akseeker
User is offlineOffline
Go for an Adventure in Legal Land!

Old post, so I'm sure you've already been to court, how did it turn out?-

Just for fun, you should check out the web site http://www.adventuresinlegalland.com for an interesting take on 'traffic court'. There's a vidoe posted about drug 'crimes', too, (not that I support drug use or anything…) If it's a civil action, you could ask for 'evidence of a complaining party'. If they say it's criminal, ask to see the damaged party (the party whose rights were violated and thereby suffered damage). Another interesting site is at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WhoRU, deals with personal sovereignty.  A few interesting files in the 'files' section, too (you need to be a member to view that section, but it's easy)