What's the story with your screen name?

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
What's the story with your screen name?

I saw this question on another site and thought it would be interesting here. Mine is simply the mascot of the band The Accused. I wanted to use her because she's not a pretty pushover.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
When I first started my

When I first started my YouTube account, I accedentally put it as Ophios. I wanted to put in Ophois, but what is past is past, and the name stuck.

(If you don't know who Ophois is, look him up in the wikipedia. Big clue for those who are wondering who I am from the IG fourms.)

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Evil from the depths or

Evil from the depths or treacherous wisdom. Pseudo-latin sounds quite cool, I must add.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It's my pimp name, bitch!

It's my pimp name, bitch! LOL!!

got it here:

http://www.playerappreciate.com/pimphandle.asp

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
I consider pimps to be

I consider pimps to be low-lives. I definitely do not hold them in high esteem and I wonder why anyone would.

An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB is the commonly used

KSMB is the commonly used acronym for Swedish punk band Kurt Sunes Med Berits, which I love. I love them so much, I use their name on the internet.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
*I am so glad I asked this.

*I am so glad I asked this. Laughing out loud

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I use Susan because, well,

I use Susan because, well, it's my name.

Most places know me as The Old Broad, which I am. (Proudly, I might add!)

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Bjxrn
User is offlineOffline
My name is Björn, but in

My name is Björn, but in the old days "ö" wasn't allowed in the English speaking part of the Internet and someone already used Björn with and "o", so I started using bjxrn instead. Its kind of stupid, because there is no way to pronounce it, but that makes it kind of fun.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's a phonetic derivative

It's a phonetic derivative of "Borgeoisie" minus the "Bor". My blog is called "Bored Zhwazi" to try to illustrate the origin of the name. It's an attempt to frustrate marxists, because their beliefs are silly.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Zhwazi wrote:It's a phonetic

Edit: off topic, ignore.

Trout
Trout's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trout: because of a

Trout: because of a childhood love of Vonnegut.

Skyknight
Skyknight's picture
User is offlineOffline
Skyknight comes from a Magic

Skyknight comes from a Magic the gathering card called Skyknight Legionnaire (very geeky reference), it holds no significance really except that it was in front of me when i needed a name. It's also the way my cat got called Prozac, (my mum's a psychiatrist and she was given some free post-its with Prozac on them, and they were in front of me when I was asked what i was going to call him).
You've got to hope its never left to me to name children lol.

It's called football, not soccer, seriously, it was called football before the USA ever existed. So don't you dare call it that.
(aluminium)

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Taken directly off of my

Taken directly off of my myspace:
My first nickname was bobman-i-am I just came up with it one day, it was evident in my e-mail for many years.

My second nickname was void.% (dealing with java programming) the % is mod or reminder and void is something else in programming that doesn't really matter now, but for the name it has the normal meaning.

Then for a game I had to change the nick in order for it to be compatible for a tracking system which is my main nickname Voiderest.

However for my new nickname V-Skillz I used the V from Voiderest and then Skillz because it sounds pimp and the squad I was in for America's Army was named the PIMP squad so it was kind of the cool thing to do when you became a part of it. Plus I have Mad-Fucking-Skillz(note the 'z') at least for the game...

V-Skillz has not stuck, but Voiderest has and I'm not looking back. Look at my google search all me.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
V1per41 is my handle pretty

V1per41 is my handle pretty much everywhere on the internet: V1per41 google search

The first time I started using it was on xbox live as a gamertag. I got the name from the movie Top Gun. Viper was the call sign of the best pilot. Of course plain ole 'Viper' and 'V1per' were already taken so I had to add the '41' to the end. 41 is my favorite number (name of a Dave Matthews Band song)

I always try and use this handle whenever I register on a new site. So if you ever see V1per41 anywhere else, you can be sure it's me Smiling

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

Jesterspace
Jesterspace's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I've been 'Jester'

Well, I've been 'Jester' since the end of the 80's. Naturally, I took the name with me when I discovered the net. When I was running a party house, the house was called both Midian and the Jesterspace. A series of webpages and Jesterspace stuck as a webhandle. I've managed to snag the name for webpages, Myspace, Livejournal, Yahoo!, AOL, etc..

I am Jesterspace, and I approve this message.

"Imperious, choleric, irascible, extreme in everything, with a dissolute imagination the like of which has never been seen, atheistic to the point of fanaticism, there you have me in a nutshell.... Kill me again or take me as I am, for I shall not change.

Christen
Christen's picture
User is offlineOffline
My screen name is my first

My screen name is my first name. I use ChrissyFos over at IG, which is a nickname that I got sick of seeing so I decided not to use it over here.

LadySpankington
User is offlineOffline
A couple years ago, a friend

A couple years ago, a friend was raggin on me and calling me names and LadySpankington just slipped out. It made me laugh so I kept it. I pretty much have the market on the name (IM, myspace, LiveJournal, many forums and of course, ladyspankington.com)

He got dubbed "Hungry Mancock" which is still his name on my phone

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
LadySpankington wrote:...I

LadySpankington wrote:
...I pretty much have the market on the name (IM, myspace, LiveJournal, many forums and of course, ladyspankington.com)...

Isn't it great having the handle all to yourself no matter where you go? Smiling

"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
My initials and the nuisance

My initials and the nuisance that drove Io crazy

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Anybody here remember the

Anybody here remember the Eddie Murphy parody of gumby on SNL?

I was in grade school when that was popular, and since my last name, Hamby, is a lot like Gumby... well, you can imagine.

So then, when I got older and started trying to tell people my name, especially over the phone, they would think I was saying "Handy" or "Hambly" or "Handily" or "Hambry."

So, more than once, I found myself thinking, if not saying, "No, it's Hamby, Damn it!"

Combine Eddie Murphy's "I'm Gumby, Damn it!" and "Hamby" and there it is.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

melchisedec
melchisedec's picture
User is offlineOffline
This screen name really

This screen name really captures some of the inconsitencies and puzzles that the bible has to offer. It doesn't hurt that it sounds cool too lol. But for those of you who don't know, Melchisedec was god's personal priest. In fact Christ belongs to the priestly order of Melchisedec. There are only a few references about Melchisedec, which is puzzling because god's own priest and Jesus belong to the order of Melchisedec surely must carry alot of importance.

The other curious thing about Melchisedec is he was never created, and never dies. Hmm sounds like a god to me

Quote:
For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings and blessed him, to whom also Abraham gave the tenth part of all, being by interpretation, king of righteousness, after that also king of Salem, which means king of peace, without father, without mother, having neither beginning of days nor end of life; but made like unto the son of God abideth a priest continually." (Heb.7:1-3)

It's funny to note that many Christians have no clue about this and I've yet to find one who can adequately explain it either - because they can't.

politicalhumanist
politicalhumanist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I book I read, "Toward a New

I book I read, "Toward a New Political Humanism"

GlamourKat
GlamourKat's picture
User is offlineOffline
This has been one of my

This has been one of my screennames since I was 12.
I loved the play Cats when I was a kid. I was especially torn up by the tragic Grizabella the glamour cat. Rejected by the other cats, she, however, is the one chosen to ascend and be reborn. The song "Memory" always gets me choked up. Hey, I was a troubled kid.

My name is actually Kat, and I liked glamourous starlets from the 20's-40's, so GlamourKat.

Connor
Connor's picture
User is offlineOffline
'Tis my first name...pretty

'Tis my first name...pretty exciting, right?

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
My name is from a line in

My name is from a line in the song "Bus To Beelzebub" by the now defunct band Soul Coughing (some former members of which are old friends), and the avatar is Max from Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Thing Are" - best book ever.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I recognized you avatar

I recognized you avatar right away! My parents had that book since before I was born.

V1per41
V1per41's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I

MattShizzle wrote:
I recognized you avatar right away! My parents had that book since before I was born.

ditto. A classic indeed.

User is offlineOffline
Quote:My name is from a line

Quote:
My name is from a line in the song "Bus To Beelzebub" by the now defunct band Soul Coughing (some former members of which are old friends),

Yay, now I know. I have that book too. I used to collect the figures at ToysRus but my kids broke their arms off.

User is offlineOffline
Trout wrote:Trout: because

Trout wrote:

Ol' Kilgore. I Heart Vonnegut.

Ophios
Ophios's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five wrote:My

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
My name is from a line in the song "Bus To Beelzebub" by the now defunct band Soul Coughing (some former members of which are old friends)

I always thought it had to do with the painting "Figure five in gold"

AImboden wrote:
I'm not going to PM my agreement just because one tucan has pms.

Connor
Connor's picture
User is offlineOffline
And my avatar is a screencap

And my avatar is a screencap from Bad Religion's "American Jesus" video.

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline

Trout wrote:

Ha, I always wondered about that, I'm a fan myself Smiling

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Noor
User is offlineOffline
Meh, mine is simply my

Meh, mine is simply my nickname. It's a short form of my real name.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
My name is a misspelling

My name is a misspelling that my friend did when quoteing Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. I liked it and thought i should run with it. Shaitan-org-The Dark One(The evil character to end all evil charcters)
My pic is a pic i found while browsing the internet.

ShaunPhilly
High Level ModeratorSilver Member
ShaunPhilly's picture
User is offlineOffline
ShaunPhilly is the name I've

ShaunPhilly is the name I've been using online for about 11 years now, since I signed up for a yahoo account as thought "well, I'm Shaun, I'm from Philly..."

It's what I use everywhere with one exception; beliefnet.com, where I am known as "ReligiousScholar" (it was just after getting my BA in "Religious Anthropology" and before I called myself an atheist). I've been chatting there for about 6 years (mostly at the atheist debate board, a great group of very intelligent and interesting people), and for some reason I didn't use "ShaunPhilly" there when I signed up.

like others, I'm ShaunPhilly on any of the atheist forums I participate in, as well as mail (yahoo and gmail), and other online fun-times.

Shaun

I'll fight for a person's right to speak so long as that person will, in return, fight to allow me to challenge their opinions and ridicule them as the content of their ideas merit.

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline

Trout wrote:

Thornton Melon: "... and *another* thing, Vonnegut! I'm gonna stop payment on the check!
Fuck me? Hey, Kurt, can you read lips, *fuck you*! Next time I'll call Robert Ludlum!"

Anyway, I had been lurking on badastronomy.com for a while around 2000 or so, had considered joining the board there, and was trying to think of a good screen name. I came up with Bark At The Moon since it would be somewhat appropriate to an astronomy board, from the Ozzy song and from Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior books where he uses a lot of acronyms like ESBAM, Eat Shit and Bark At the Moon, BOHICA, Bend Over Hear It Comes Again, etc. When I joined IG BarkAtTheMoon seemed like a good name for an atheist board.

One funny thing about screen names is they really sound weird when you're actually talking to people. When I went up to the Dawkins show and met the RRS crew, ShaunPhilly, EverLastingGodStopper, and a couple others it was really odd being called and referring to people by internet screen names. It's very strange being called BarkAtTheMoon offline.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
- Eric Idle, from The Galaxy Song

Yellow_Number_Five
User is offlineOffline
LMAO, Bark. "Fuck you

LMAO, Bark. "Fuck you Vonnegut!", indeed!
\
\
And yes, it is weird being called "Yellow" and being known as such in public. If you do in fact know me and see me out and about, please call me Mike or "Beaver" - my "official" nickname. I will turn my head faster to "Beaver" than anything else.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shaitian, I thought sure

Shaitian, I thought sure your name was going to be a variation of Shaitan, the Worm God in Dune, by Frank Herbert.

Shows what I know, eh?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

miss_moneysterling
miss_moneysterling's picture
User is offlineOffline
i got mine from that fucking

i got mine from that fucking excellent show The Young Ones. It's the episode where Scumbag College are versing Footlights College in University Challenge.  And one of the people in Footlights is called Miss Moneysterling. i thought it suited me haha.

Angelic_Atheist
Angelic_Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I use this name

Well, I use this name because people have referred to me as an angel in appreciation for help in an urgent, inconvenient, or just plain scary situations.

Maybe I shouldn't mention that time that a (wiccan) friend had a light cover fall while she was at the store or something. It bounced off the metal sink (left a dent) and shattered on the kitchen floor. She was all "it must be supernatural" "maybe my house is haunted" I said "maybe it was your (deceased) uncle", (she believes that the spirit of her uncle is living with them) then went on to tell her how her uncle was trying to tell her to stop some behavior that some would consider immoral.

It was funny (to me, anyway) because she almost swallowed it! but then the realization that I was an atheist and thought such things bunk, but then she would go back and start believing it again...LOL must have happened 3 or 4 times before she told me to shut up...ROFL

Maybe I should change my name to Demonic Atheist....ROFL

We must favor verifiable evidence over private feeling. Otherwise we leave ourselves vulnerable to those who would obscure the truth.
~ Richard Dawkins

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The Young Ones was great! I

The Young Ones was great! I remember that episode.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
The story behind me

The story behind me name:

The short version... When I initially came online to research religion, I was clueless as to the need to not use my real last name, this is probably because I came online to research as a theist and had little to fear.   After about 2 years of 40-60 hour a week research I was thoroughly convinced that the god I had grown up to believe was a myth.  I was knee deep in the debate scene and posting 30-100 posts per day at www.AtheistNetwork.com and other Christian boards around the web.  At one point at Jason Gastrichs board a Christian "admitted" I had proven god doesn't exist and that since he no longer had any reason to be a good person, he was going to come kill me.  Well these were my first death threats ever, and to this date they were the most real.  The man got ahold of my number, numerous personal details, called my house several times and spoke of coming to get my son from school the next day and he did in fact know multiple details about my son and school, etc.  Most death threats I receive are simply words of an angry theist, not phone calls with real data.  So, I talked to my then friend Aaron, we were basically overseeing the operations at www.atheistnetwork.com together.  He was someone who I very much respected, and upon asking him what I should change my name to, because it was time to get away from my real name, he suggested "sapient."  I switched that night.  I've always been proud of the fact that someone else saw something in me worth utilizing that word for, I would've felt a little cocky to have chosen it for myself. 

User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: The story

Sapient wrote:

The story behind me name:

The short version... When I initially came online to research religion, I was clueless as to the need to not use my real last name, this is probably because I came online to research as a theist and had little to fear. After about 2 years of 40-60 hour a week research I was thoroughly convinced that the god I had grown up to believe was a myth. I was knee deep in the debate scene and posting 30-100 posts per day at www.AtheistNetwork.com and other Christian boards around the web. At one point at Jason Gastrichs board a Christian "admitted" I had proven god doesn't exist and that since he no longer had any reason to be a good person, he was going to come kill me. Well these were my first death threats ever, and to this date they were the most real. The man got ahold of my number, numerous personal details, called my house several times and spoke of coming to get my son from school the next day and he did in fact know multiple details about my son and school, etc. Most death threats I receive are simply words of an angry theist, not phone calls with real data. So, I talked to my then friend Aaron, we were basically overseeing the operations at www.atheistnetwork.com together. He was someone who I very much respected, and upon asking him what I should change my name to, because it was time to get away from my real name, he suggested "sapient." I switched that night. I've always been proud of the fact that someone else saw something in me worth utilizing that word for, I would've felt a little cocky to have chosen it for myself.

I have to admit that I don't know what Sapient means so I had to google it and found this:

http://www.sapientdove.com/

Laughing out loud

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Born a bastard child into a

Born a bastard child into a catholic family where my grandparents saw me as a gift from god. My mother was depressed before the clinical symptoms of depression were known. She was inattentive to me to say the least.

My grandmother was very much the mother that I wish that all kids had. She and I spent every moment together that we could. 

When Star Wars came out in the theaters, I cried and cried that I wanted to go see it. My mom didn't want to take me. Grandma was delighted to do so. We saw it five times before it left the theaters and we talked about it constantly. I would make my darth vader impression and she would call me darth josh.

When Empire strikes back came out, my mom wanted to take me to see it. However, I said that I only wanted Grandma to take me. Same thing with Return of the Jedi.

Grandma died May 25, 1998 after complications from a bladder infection caused her kidneys to shut down. She had diabetes and heart disease. She had had 7 heart attacks, only 3 of them major. She had 5 strokes, 2 of them major.  She smoked 2 packs of non-filters a day until the strokes. All of that and it was a UTI that caused a bladder infection that finally killed her.

Of all of the people that I have told that I was, am, and always will be an atheist, my grandmother was the only one that understood why. She was still religious but realized that it might just be a fairy tale. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I created Vastet back in the

I created Vastet back in the early 90's. I was role playing Star Wars and we lost our GM. Being the Star Wars guru that I am, I took over. And needed a GM character to help move things along. Vastet was the name I came up with, and now use it in all things online. It's unique enough that I've never had a problem with other people picking it first. Eye-wink

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

olivergringold
olivergringold's picture
User is offlineOffline
'Tis a combination of my

'Tis a combination of my middle name (which friends have been calling me since junior high) and a common mispronunciation of my last name.

"No end justifies the means of lying."
-Penn Jillette

eff_em_all
eff_em_all's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi folks I'm new here. First

Hi folks I'm new here. First post so this is either a great place to introduce myself or ya'll are just gonna wonder who the hell I am. My name came about out of desperation from when yahoo switched it's format of user names to not include symbols. My old name was stoned@mcdonalds stemming from from an event from high school, and after trying what seemed like hundreds (was probably only 5 or so, I'm not a pillar of patience) different names I decided to "fuck all of those stupid names" and since yahoo doesn't allow the "f" word either, and adding the underscores for aesthetics, eff_em_all just came forth kinda naturally.

The christian resolution to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.    -Nietzsche

AModestProposal
AModestProposal's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's the title of my

It's the title of my semi-regular column, which can be found at: www.dangeroustalk.net Feel free to check it out. In the current column up on the site now, I defend and endorse flag burning. 

lypslykemorphyne
User is offlineOffline
Okay, I'll bite...

"lypslykemorphyne" = lips like morphine (obviously), which is a song by the band Kill Hannah.

Why did I choose that?

Because my kiss will knock you out, baby.

2xhaha.  Maybe.

Avatar?  I'll give you a hint: It's not Teller.... 

American Atheist
American Atheist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I started using this screen

I started using this screen name when I became a member of American Atheist.