Ten Commandments monument at FL courthouse

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ten Commandments monument at FL courthouse

Another group of fundies, this time in Dixie County, Florida, are unclear on the concept of graven images.

wtf

Cursing Man

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
It's as though they have to

It's as though they have to have the commandmnets everywhere so they can convince themselves that the godless liberals aren't taking them away.

It's not like they actually , y'know, live by them or anything. It's like the big tabletop Bible that some of them like to have on display in theor house. It's never opened but it makes them feel Christian.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:It's as

jcgadfly wrote:
It's as though they have to have the commandmnets everywhere so they can convince themselves that the godless liberals aren't taking them away.

It's not like they actually , y'know, live by them or anything. It's like the big tabletop Bible that some of them like to have on display in theor house. It's never opened but it makes them feel Christian.

If only that were the case. You think it is harmless that they do this? No, it is far from harmless. It sends a message to those in the club that they and they alone decide what law is and that everyone is subject to their laws and not common law.

I wouldnt treat this as harmless. If you think it is ask a Christian in Iran if they think Quran displays in their courts are harmless. Meaningless and harmless are two different subjects.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:jcgadfly

Brian37 wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

If only that were the case. You think it is harmless that they do this? No, it is far from harmless. It sends a message to those in the club that they and they alone decide what law is and that everyone is subject to their laws and not common law.

I wouldnt treat this as harmless. If you think it is ask a Christian in Iran if they think Quran displays in their courts are harmless. Meaningless and harmless are two different subjects.

In no way do I consider this harmless. What statement gave you that idea?

The fact that they define what the laws are is one of those things that makes them feel Christian.

I consider these monolithic displays of the commandments what they are - symbols of power that make the fundies feel good by reminding them that they run the country.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Brian37

jcgadfly wrote:
Brian37 wrote:
jcgadfly wrote:

In no way do I consider this harmless. What statement gave you that idea?

The fact that they define what the laws are is one of those things that makes them feel Christian.

I consider these monolithic displays of the commandments what they are - symbols of power that make the fundies feel good by reminding them that they run the country.

And when common sense Christian and atheist and other people object to this on public property they end up acting like the zeolous assholes overseas that THEY say they are fighting against. There solution to freedom is to do the same dictitorial shit on goverment property as Islamic goverments do.

I will not hold back my words to anyone who seeks to institutionalize their religion as OUR LAW and especially those who lie and say they arnt doing it. FUCK YOU!

Yea, I've been going off on a tyrade lately in alot of threads here recently. It is because I love freedom and the concept that everyone has the right to bitch but no one has the right to use goverment to tell others what religion our government is run on, or who the individual should or should not like.

I see far too many people on both sides telling the rest of the nation what to think and what to do insted of seeking common ground on practical issues that WE ALL HAVE IN COMMON.

I see freedom being lost in the guise of good intent and our Constitution being hijacked by both the pollitically correct and the zealoustright and I wish both sides would keep their fucking nose out of my morals and my private life and stop making statements about which god our government should support. I can think for myself and dont need anyone to do it for me.

Here is what everyone needs to do. Both Evangelicals and Atheists and everyone in between.

1. Worry about the food on your table.
2. If you want to give to your neighbor GREAT, do it through your family, private company or private church or private charity.
3. If you dont like doing something, DONT DO IT, but stop telling others they cant!
4. If we can agree on speed limits and stop signs why is it so fucking hard to agree on other things?
5. I dont have to like you and you dont have to like me. If I say something you dont like. I WONT USE GOVERMENT TO SHUT YOU UP, I'll merely tell you directly you are full of shit.
6. Stop acting like your god is the only one that has members allowed to be citizens IF BORN HERE, WE ARE ALL CITIZENS.
7. Keep voting for solely on the issue of what someone's religion and you'll still get a wastefull goverment ON BOTH SIDES.
8. I am not going to have you arrested because you offend me. I wont physically harm you if you do the same for me.
9. Bitch about me all you want I DONT CARE, just dont assume because you dont like me that I have no right to run for office or sit in the White House. If enough people vote for me I CAN.
10. If I like the NFL should I still be shot because I am an atheist?
11. If you dont like gay marriage THEN DONT MARRY SOMEONE OF THE SAME SEX.
12. COULD WE ALL STOP USING GOVERMENT TO BE THE WEAPON USED AGAINST OUR NEIGHBOR

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog