Buying a couple guns on a budget. Recommendations?

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Buying a couple guns on a budget. Recommendations?

I'm gonna buy some guns, but I don't have a lot of money to spend, and I want the most bang for my buck. Pun not intended.

Right now I'm looking at a Rock Island Armory 1911A1 .45ACP, which is $330. It's more than some other pistols I've seen, but it's a bit more gun also. It's screaming "This here is a pretty good deal" at me. I was thinking of getting something with a bit less kick but I'll learn to handle the 1911 after some time at the range. Also on the table for the handgun is a MAC-10 mini in 9mm. I've found one for $330 If you know of a good cheap 9mm or .40 for less than these, please show me to it.

I'm also looking at an SKS. Probably a Yugo M59/66 on account of budget. I don't need a half MoA rifle, just something that'll probably hit a pieplate at 75 yards or so, and inexpensive. The Yugo seems to do the job for $125 and up. But I'm open to other options. Semiauto is much preferred to bolt.

Third thing I'm looking at buying is a Mossberg Maverick 88, 12 guage, 20" barrel and 7+1 mag+chamber. ImpactGuns has it for $180.

I'm looking for a .22 rifle for plinking, but I don't want to go above $100 for it.

Anyone find anything cheaper or better for about the same price? (No Mosin-Nagants. I don't want an M91/30. I know it's like $80 but still).

I can't go over $1000 for gun plus ammo for a year or two. I'd really like to stay under $800. Primary concern is price, secondary is reliability, third is accuracy.

I'm also considering passing up on the Mav and the SKS for an AK clone, a WASR or something, since it seems the total price of the SKS and shotgun are about the same as the AK. Is this a good trade off or would three guns be better than two?

Thanks for any input.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
You can't go wrong with a

You can't go wrong with a 1911, but $350 seems just a bit steep to me. I have an original Browning and I paid less for that well preserved original. I also only paid slightly more for the new top of the line.

If you simply want a good .45, I suggest the XD:

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl-45acp.shtml

I picked one up last year, and it is without doubt the sweetest thing I've ever shot - other than my M-1 Garand.

You should get one of those as well:

http://shell4.bayarea.net/~tenarius/m1garand/cmpprogram.html

There's nothing like shooting history.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want a Garand too, but

I want a Garand too, but it's $400 some for the CMP's Garands and that's half my weapon budget right there. SKS seems to be a much better deal for the money.

And another friend just referred me to XDs, but there's the same problem as the Garands with that, budget. I don't wanna spend $400 or more on one gun because it leaves not a lot of money leftover.

Remember - budget.

Yellow_Number_Five
atheistRRS Core MemberScientist
Yellow_Number_Five's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zhwazi wrote:I want a Garand

Zhwazi wrote:
I want a Garand too, but it's $400 some for the CMP's Garands and that's half my weapon budget right there. SKS seems to be a much better deal for the money.

And another friend just referred me to XDs, but there's the same problem as the Garands with that, budget. I don't wanna spend $400 or more on one gun because it leaves not a lot of money leftover.

Remember - budget.

I have a hard time when a staunch capitalist doesn't see value.

Personally, I'd buy one quality weapon and consider it an investment as well as indulging my hobby rather than buying several pieces of shit that I couldn't resell for the purchase cost even 3 years later.

I tend to buy guns that have collector value, but that I can shoot without devaluing them.

Oh, and btw, I got my first M-1 through the CMP. When I handed over my $400 check, I was offered $1400 for the weapon on the spot. I wouldn't sell, I wouldn't have for three times that offer. I enjoy having the gun, it's friggin' beautiful. It's history, and all the parts and serial numbers match.

I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world. - Richard Dawkins

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
The money I said I could

The money I said I could spend isn't all available at the moment. I can't spend a whole lot of money a whole lot of quickly, and $400 is on the a whole lot of money border. I can afford a cheap thing now, a cheap thing in a month or two, and another cheap thing a little while after that. I can't afford one expensive thing now.

It's not that I don't want a Garand or don't recognize the value.

But really, this is kinda for homedefense, and a Garand isn't a home defense kind of gun when you live in an RV.

Cheap shit that moves and goes bang now is much preferred to more valuable rifle that doesn't move and goes bang now and cheap shit that moves and goes bang later. The guy two doors down kinda got murdered a couple weeks ago, so excuse my little bit of fear but I want effective home defense and now. Garand interferes with one or the other, even at the CMP's prices.

Tomcat
User is offlineOffline
Sounds to me like you are

Sounds to me like you are getting ready for a small scale battle here instead of home defense Puzzled

If you want security (and some bang for the buck), get a used/old .357 magnum. Yea, the ammo is expensive, but you only gotta shoot once. 9mm might be too weak for home defense.

But if you really want cheap, the 1911 would be an excellent choice. Just don't go haywire on this and that gun/rifle/shogun/handcannon. I know plenty of gun collectors who get stuff that just sits in their cabinet and never gets practiced with. Get yourself a pistol, and spend the rest of that money on a shooting class/trainer. You would protect yourself more with the right training and safety instruction

I've always dreamed of having a Garand tho!

The Enlightenment wounded the beast, but the killing blow has yet to land...

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Yellow_Number_Five wrote:my

Yellow_Number_Five wrote:
my M-1 Garand.

You should get one of those as well:

http://shell4.bayarea.net/~tenarius/m1garand/cmpprogram.html

There's nothing like shooting history.

My favorite gun in Call of Duty 3 by far. You should pop a few shells on it next time you come over. We can now play 3 of us together at a time.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zhwazi, A Lorcin 9mm is my

Zhwazi,

A Lorcin 9mm is my cheap gun of choice. I have had one since 1998 and it has held up well. 9mm ammo is pretty cheap too.

The Ruger P-95 is my favorite. I love my Ruger.

For the .22, I recommend a Savage. They're about $100. My son was shooting this gun at 7 easily. The oldest daughter was entertained by the 9mm.

For the 'big' gun, get the AR-10A2 or T. Five shots tears down a medium-sized tree. $956 if you have a friend with an FFL.
Hornaday red tips.

I still want to testfire an AN-94.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I want a few firearms as

I want a few firearms as well, of course I'll need to learn how to shoot...

The only real firearm I have shot is a piss poor small cal rifle with the boy scouts. I know a few things like don't aim at your foot or look down the barrel, but I lack any real experience...

Also I won't be able to own anything till I get some cash and move out. I'm kind of interested in getting an AK, but I'll probably work up from a pistol to a rifle.

The only down side to the larger cal pistol I can think of is recoil, especially if you miss, have multiple targets, or do not practice regularly.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
No guns, but for defense I

No guns, but for defense I have shuriken and a throw knife, a Katana, a chinese machete, a pair of nunchaku, and a few knives. And I can move almost silent (I can actually sneak up on an awake cat.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I want a Katana too. A buddy

I want a Katana too. A buddy of mine collects knifes and has some pretty cool pieces.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Have you ever heard: "Never

Have you ever heard:

"Never bring a knife to a gunfight."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Insidium Profundis
User is offlineOffline
Ever seen Lock Stock and Two

Ever seen Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels?

"Guns for show, knives for a pro!"

Asmoday
Asmoday's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope you guys are well

I hope you guys are well aware that the man who invented the M1-Garand was a Canadian man. that gun definately out did the German rifle.

This thanksgiving im expecting all you gun loving americans to give thanks to the Canadian who designed the M1-Garand. Smiling ROTF

I know nothing about guns because:
- I do not hunt animals
- I am canadian.
However....

I do want to get a gun license and gun..........which will be a slight pain in the ass with all these differnet gun laws......... Its kind of nice to know that if I am a wanted man, I can can defend myself and put bullets through brains...

"Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside awakens."

-Carl G. Jung

Zhwazi
Zhwazi's picture
User is offlineOffline
Josh, thanks for the input,

Josh, thanks for the input, I'll keep those in mind when I'm buying one.

I was aware the Garand was a Canadian. I've pointed that out to people before.

Since I can't carry a firearm openly here, and I don't have a permit to carry concealed, I carry a KA-BAR and a Surefire 9P. I'd rather have a $400 handgun than ten $40 knives though.

Matt, if all you have is knives, get a Surefire flashlight. It's a pretty good complement to a pretty good knife. Both are one handed, and the combined effect is not something I'd want to mess with, and I don't think a lot of other people would either. I can personally attest to the fact that it is really bright enough to use for self-defense.

Nimitz68
Nimitz68's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Zhwazi I'm with Yellow

Hey Zhwazi
I'm with Yellow on this one. Save your pennies and buy quality and call it an investment. (that's what I tell the wife anyway)

I've owned 3 different .45 acp's. Colt 1911, a Springfield Armory Champion model, and I currently own a Glock 21.

Quote:
I was thinking of getting something with a bit less kick but I'll learn to handle the 1911 after some time at the range.
The Glocks barrel sits closer to the top of your hand creating less leverage, AKA recoil, than most 45's. Faster recovery times. The grip is bigger than a Colt but even with my average sized hands it's easy to handle in rapid fire. I have the 13 round magazines with +2 extentions. One magazine in the gun and two on your hip and you almost have a box of ammo. With the throated barrel ramp and the large ejection port I've never had a faillure to feed or a "stovepipe". I love my Glock. The only thing I've done to it is add Trijicon night sights and Hogue wrap around grips with finger groves. Perfection Smiling

I've owned 2 Mossberg shotguns. A 500 and now the 835 Ulti-mag 3½" 12 gauge mag. Both pumps are good workhorse shotguns. Mossberg makes a great shotgun, tough, rugged, and reliable. The 3½ incher is a great goose/duck/turkey gun. It'll shoot the 2¾" and 3" shells as well. (smaller game) Mine has the O.D. green plastic stocks and a flat black matte finish (viking grade), nothing fancy, all business. You can bang it through the brush and the woods and not worry about it. Critters fear me each hunting season! Laughing out loud

I have a Springfield Armory M1-a (7.62 NATO/308 win.) for deer season. Tack driver and firepower! I'd put it up against most bolt actions.

A .22 for plinking? Again save a few bucks and get a Ruger 10/22. You can't beat one. There's an aftermarket industry for this one gun, bull barrels, triggers, firing pins, custom stocks (check out the bullpup stocks) 50 round mags, ect. You can customize one to suit your fancy.
They're about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. Laughing out loud They even came out with a .17 wrm conversion kit. (ammo cost out the ass)

I have a Ruger Mark 2 pistol as well. (7" bull barrel and a scope) Fun and cheap to shoot. Great to practice your basic pistol skills with.

Quality take a little longer to save up for but it'll give you a lifetime of service. Then you pass them down! (my kids already have my collection divided!)

Ever "hang-ten" on the bow of a nuclear powered aircraft carrier at 30+ knots?

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
here in Pa it is legal to

here in Pa it is legal to carry a firearm on you if it is not concealed...(police for the most part dont think so but if you actually read the law you dont need a permit to have one as long as it is fully visable.) My teacher is an ex-cop and he tells us of all the laws you can get around here in pa.if you dont have a permit and any part of the weapon is consealed you can go to jail. My teacher almost got arrested cuz he didnt have a permit but when he actually showed the cop the actual context of the law the cop felt like an idiot.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Sorry don't own a gun and

Sorry don't own a gun and probably never will. But I do keep my baseball bats next to the exits. I don't know how expensive it would be, but you may be able to score some plutonium to blow up your enemies.