Jahovas Witness just stopped by...

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
Jahovas Witness just stopped by...

and it was great. I had been reading the posts here on how to debate xtians all morning and I was like a panther ready to pounce when they knocked on my door. I am so thankful for this site. Here were some of their arguements:

1. They didn't believe in heaven or hell but that Jesus will come at some point and resurrect the good people. (What? Doesn't this contradict what they just said about not being a heaven or hell?)
2. Free will is like the Grand Canyon or the ocean. There are ropes around the Grand Canyon and if you go past that you suffer the consequences.
3. I brought up abortion and they their faces turned purple then they tried to exit. But then I changed the subject to belief and faith. Betty said that we all have to tolerate other religions and chuckled then touched my arm. So I said that I don't believe we should respect faith/belief. Then I got the deer in the headlights look. I asked that if I told them that the chair was yellow (it's red) and that I believed it so, would she would respect that. She said that she wouldn't agree but she would respect what I believed. I then asked an incredulous "reallllly?"

They said they had a lot of houses to get to and asked if they could return to discuss more. I told her sure as long as she understood that I won't be a subscriber. It all ended on a friendly note with them commenting on how pretty my flowers were.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well done. I can't remember,

Well done.

I can't remember, do the JW's subscribe to the Old Testament as truth? If so, you can hit them where it really hurts. Ask the woman if she has children, then quote the passage where God mauls 42 children for calling a man baldhead. Ask her why in the world you would want to believe in such an evil deity. Smile sweetly and say, "I would never want to raise my own children to believe in a god like that! To each, her own, I guess."

You want to see a face turn purple...

I'm having such a hard time being nice today. I don't know what kind of bee flew into my bonnet, but this is like the fourth rewrite of what would ordinarily be a simple reply. The previous three were just plain sadistic. I'm just feeling really mean today.

A platonic female friend tells me I need to get laid. I shall consult the old testament and see about how to buy myself a slave girl from one of the churches down the road. That will make me feel much better.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I just googled jehovahs and

I just googled jehovahs and this is what I found. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Jehovah%27s+Witnesses

Pretty funny site. Anyway, I'm not really sure if they are Old or New Testament thumpers because when I asked them about certain verses they said that I was taking them out of context and also that the times in which it was written was different back then. To which I answered that the bible should withstand time since it was written by an all-knowing god.

I asked if she knew why god says that rabbits chew their cud if he created them. Another blank face for that one. I tell ya, these xtians are some wacky bunch.

Here is what I unearthed at beliefnet.com

Belief in Deity
There is one God Almighty--a Spirit Being with a body but not a human body. There is one God and no Trinity.

• Incarnations
Christ is Lord and Savior, but not God (Jehovah) incarnate, not a God-man but inferior to God, not part of a Godhead. He was a created spirit being, God's only begotten son, sent to Earth as a perfect human. His sacrifice became the "ransom" price to redeem mankind from sin and death. God created all in heaven and on Earth through Christ, the "master worker," God's servant. After Christ's resurrection by God, he was "exalted" to a level higher than angel.

• Origin of Universe and Life
God created the heavens and earth in six days, but each "day" is equal to thousands of years. God created and controls all processes and events.

• After Death
No soul remains after death. Soon, Jesus Christ will return to resurrect the dead, restoring soul and body. Those judged righteous will be given everlasting life on a paradise earth. Those judged unrighteous will not be tormented, but will die and cease to exist.

• Why Evil?
The original sin caused humans to inherit death and sin. Satan and his demons pervade the earth as spirits tempting all to sin, which God allows as a test of faith in Him.

• Salvation
You must show faith in God and in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. Adhere to the practices, requirements, commandments, laws, and sacraments of the faith. "Witnessing" and active sharing of their faith with others is fundamental. Avoid behaviors that God dislikes, including celebration of birthdays and holidays originating from false religions.

• Undeserved Suffering
Much suffering is caused by the inheritance of mortality from Adam and Eve, which includes vulnerability to illness and disease. Also, those who choose to succumb to Satan's temptations may suffer self-inflicted damage to their health. Satan and his demons cause great misery. God has allowed the situation to continue so that mankind can discover that God's rule is better than independent human-rule. He has allowed Satan to cause suffering to challenge Satan's claim that God's creation, humans, would turn from and curse God under pressure.

• Contemporary Issues
Abortion is wrong. Homosexuality is a serious sin. Gender roles are defined: Men are the head of the household and women are loving caretakers who assist the husband in teaching the children. Divorce is permitted under certain circumstances, but Jehovah hates remarriage unless the divorce occurred as a result of adultery. Service in the armed forces or any form of allegiance to government is prohibited; one must show allegiance only to the Kingdom of Christ. Blood transfusions, along with ingesting blood, are considered wrong, as God said the soul is in the blood. Bone marrow transplants are left to the individual conscience. (Note: all other forms of medical treatment are acceptable.)

User is offlineOffline
So that's why their faces

So that's why their faces turned purple when I mentioned abortion. Laughing out loud You can't celebrate birthdays?!!! wtf

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah the Jehovah's Witnesses

Yeah the Jehovah's Witnesses are quite interesting. It's no wonder most other christians shun them, they break with traditional doctrine in quite alot of things.

I did get them to agree with me that the pope is full of shit, and that people who hear God talking to them need to be on medication.

On the other hand, they believe that satan was cast down to earth in 1914, that we are living in the last days, and that the bible is the infallable word of god. Every thing I bring up about the bible is essentially countered with "yeah, but if you read the whole thing, the bible never contradicts itself". Sigh...

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Yeah the

KSMB wrote:
Yeah the Jehovah's Witnesses are quite interesting. It's no wonder most other christians shun them, they break with traditional doctrine in quite alot of things.

I did get them to agree with me that the pope is full of shit, and that people who hear God talking to them need to be on medication.

On the other hand, they believe that satan was cast down to earth in 1914, that we are living in the last days, and that the bible is the infallable word of god. Every thing I bring up about the bible is essentially countered with "yeah, but if you read the whole thing, the bible never contradicts itself". Sigh...

I have just the opposite take on that excuse. If you read the whole Bible you will find the contradictions. Most Xians I have met haven't read the whole thing which is why they are unaware of the contridictions. They usually only read the passages their preacher covers in chuch and he certainly isn't going to point them out.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That urban dictionary site

That urban dictionary site is great. Hint - look up "pimp" there and see the first picture that comes up. Laughing out loud

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:That urban

MattShizzle wrote:
That urban dictionary site is great. Hint - look up "pimp" there and see the first picture that comes up. :lol:

u da pimp Laughing out loud

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Been there since the summer.

Been there since the summer. I love it.

neon
neon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Seems a lot of other

Seems a lot of other Christian sects consider them heretics or non-Christians, because they don't believe Christ was divine.

At least you were able to handle the discussion peacefully. I would probably have said "No thank you" immediately and asked them to leave.

User is offlineOffline
Well, any other day I would

Well, any other day I would have done the same thing but, like I said, I had been reading the xtian debates all morning so they became my helpless victims. They seriously were shocked that I spoke with them. They liked me.

But I think it's seriously messed up when religious people think you are going to rot in hell or not be saved or resurrected or given 72 virgins or whatever because you don't believe in the bs. So they can smile and chuckle and make cute jokes but ultimately this is a battle we've got to fight. I think we are fighting for our right to be treated like upstanding citizens.

My whole life I have felt like I can't succeed because I am "bad" in their eyes. But I have never done anything bad. In fact I am repulsed by behavior that brings any sort of violence or discrimination. I just can't stand how we are required to be tolerant of their lies.

In my "yellow" chair example, the one jw lady said that she wouldn't agree but would respect my belief. To me, this is ridiculous. Are people evolving without a brain? I mean I heard that since we learned to wash our food before consumption, we will eventually evolve without a pancreas. But I don't know if that is true or not but if it is, I think the same could be said about the use of the religious brain. (or non-use of).

ImmaculateDeception
ImmaculateDeception's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:In my "yellow" chair

Quote:
In my "yellow" chair example, the one jw lady said that she wouldn't agree but would respect my belief. To me, this is ridiculous. Are people evolving without a brain?

Red is the new black, and dumb is the new happy. This is very much the way things are nowadays.

You know, I had two jehova's witnesses come to my door just about two weeks ago. I had just gotten out of bed to go to work, and I was wearing what I normally wear to bed; a pair of flannel pajama pants and a black shirt with the words "Kiss My Ass" on it. I didn't even know what they were. I opened the door, they looked at me very strangely, handed me a pamphlet, said "read this!" and pretically ran out of my yard. They left so quickly, I thought they were delivering a summons.

Well, I did read the pamphlet, which was cheerfully titled "The End Is Nigh." Fascinating stuff. I hate to blow the ending for you guys, but apparently....the end is nigh. Just a heads up.

Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I mean I heard that since

Quote:
"I mean I heard that since we learned to wash our food before consumption, we will eventually evolve without a pancreas. But I don't know if that is true or not but if it is, I think the same could be said about the use of the religious brain. (or non-use of)"

No, it's not true. The pancreas is involved with digestion and blood sugar regulation. The pancreas has nothing to do with clean or dirty food.

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

User is offlineOffline
Yeah I didn't think it was

Yeah I didn't think it was true but I just wanted to make the point about not using a brain and evolving without one. Smiling