SOMEWHAT OF A POLL: How many athiests are educated?

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
SOMEWHAT OF A POLL: How many athiests are educated?

I'm curious to know how many atheists here are either in college, graduate school, are planning on going to college if you're in high school or have upper level degrees. I'm trying to correlate (non-scientifically of course) education (this includes liberal arts) with rational/atheistic thinking. Just post your degree(s) or your plans for higher education and your interests. in this thread.

I'll start: I'm in graduate school working on a thesis looking at the invasion molecular pathways of the malaria parasite in red blood cells.

In Rationality,
Left of Larry

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalSchema wrote: Have

RationalSchema wrote:

Have a Master's in Clinical Psychology and currently earning my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology.

I  think this makes for 3 psychologists in this thread alone, interesting that people who specialize in studying and understanding self awareness and thought disorders would be atheists....

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Rigor_OMortis
Rigor_OMortis's picture
User is offlineOffline
If anyone is interested, I

If anyone is interested, I do law school... and I'm going to pause my Computer Science until I finish it.

Inquisition - "The flames are all long gone, but the pain lingers on..."
http://rigoromortis.blogspot.com/

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
It would be interesting to

It would be interesting to see the percentage of psychologists that are theists. 

FGL
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: It would

LeftofLarry wrote:
It would be interesting to see the percentage of psychologists that are theists.

I'd bet the % of atheists is higher in the hard sciences than the social sciences. The NAS is something like 90%+ atheist/agnostic which is amazing given the general population is somethinglike 90% theist.

WolfinWolfsClothing
WolfinWolfsClothing's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ciao Larry

Some personal stats:

IQ: 140

SAT: 1390, 97th percentile

Highschool = 3 years, 2.7 gpa

A.S. no 1 = 3 years, philosophy, honors, phi theta kappa

A.S. no 2 = 14 months, culinary, honors

Bachelor's = pending.

Though I am clearly not as thoroughly educated as some of my contemporaries, I consider myself something of an autodidact, and spend much of my free time in a book. I love learning, and am definately a well-informed intelectual. I would assume that you are correct in your assertion, Larry -- atheists are likely the most educated group in the country, if not, the world.

Logos Invictus,

--Louis Repucci

Conn_in_Brooklyn
Conn_in_Brooklyn's picture
User is offlineOffline
I graduated from Eugene

I graduated from Eugene Lang College at the New School University with a BA in Social and Historical Inquiry.  I wrote my thesis on the social history of Anti-Evolutionism in America and Britain.

If I ever get a chance to study for the GRE I'd like to pursue my PhD in the History of Science focusing on the public understanding of science in the West and Near East ... I'd also like to have a catch with Richard Dawkins and pitch one inning for the Boston Red Sox.  I have a nasty knuckleball ...

I'm off myspace.com so you can only find me here: http://geoffreymgolia.blogspot.com

HealingBlight
HealingBlight's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have my leaving cert,

I have my leaving cert (whoo dee doo), taking a further education course to get into 'proper' college (I was 12 marks off (3%) in one test (geography) from directly getting a college, ugh). So far it looks like I'm going to be successful (In other words, I will have to actively work hard -not- to get at least a merit in all modules), hopefully I can advance as far as possible up the ladder so not only would I be more tempting to employ, but I'll maybe be able to contribute to the videogame industry. I value the educations muchly! Laughing out loud

-----------------------
I'll get back to you when I think of something worthwhile to say.

UberBob
UberBob's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have no letter by my name,

I have no letter by my name, but I will gladly outplay any music school graduate lol

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
UberBob wrote: I have no

UberBob wrote:
I have no letter by my name, but I will gladly outplay any music school graduate lol

What do you play? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

TheGrapeOfWrath
User is offlineOffline
I have a high school

I have a high school diploma and worked as an emergency medical technician after attending a course at the local community college. I recently spoke with the head of the horticulture program at Oklahoma State University at Oklahoma City (OSU/OKC) and would like to grow pharmaceutical grade cannabis on a large scale so that it can be used for medicine and research. Of course I didn't mention my goal at the time because OSU/OKC is also home of the Oklahoma City Police Academy Eye-wink

I hope to soon be working on my BS in weedology.

"Marijuana helped me kick my dependence on alcohol and god. It deserves further study."

www.myspace.com/grapeofwrath.

FundamentallyFlawed
FundamentallyFlawed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I did great in high school,

I did great in high school, but failed to take college seriously enough to stay for long. 

Although I don't have much formal education beyond high school, I've always had a passion for knowledge and make it a point to learn something new every day. 

UberBob
UberBob's picture
User is offlineOffline
Guitar - mostly self

Guitar - mostly self taught

Bass guitar - completely self taught

I learned to play by listening to 80's thrash metal lol  Then I moved onto classical stuff like Paganini. 

"Sometimes even the wisest of man or machine can make an error."

-Optimus Prime

Booclay
Booclay's picture
User is offlineOffline
Working towards a BA in

Working towards a BA in Communications     

Already have a BS in religion Tongue out

Icebergin
Icebergin's picture
User is offlineOffline
BFA in graphic design here

BFA in graphic design here

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I go to your school

I go to your school x-D

Um I'm a junior and so not too far from a bachelor's in forensic science (going the forensic biology route or whatnot) and sooner than later I'm going to try to get into med school and get 4 yrs. od pre-med but eventually I'm going for becoming a forensic pathologist. 

I'm smart wooooooooooooooo Smiling.  

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

Temper Mental
Temper Mental's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm graduating from HS in

I'm graduating from HS in less than a month and plan on going to a community college to study Computer Programming.

Dear Flying Spaghetti Monster,
Let us pray that all the hungry children in the world will be fed and peace be spread throughout the entire world. Amen.
*Incoherent speaking*
What do you mean it is not your will to feed the children of the world?!

canofbutter
Silver Member
canofbutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
B.S. in computer science -

B.S. in computer science - considering re enrolling to finish the math degree (I graduated with the CS degree, but didn't finish the math degree (only 12 credits to go there, but that would have meant an extra 3 part-time semesters because of the way the courses were scheduled))

Why yes, I can believe it's not butter!

Edger
User is offlineOffline
I'm merely a highscool

I'm merely a highscool gradiat an not gud at speling, but my IQ is 137!

Hope this shud helps Smiling

-editid fer gramar problums 

itsjustinf
User is offlineOffline
I have a B.A. in English,

I have a B.A. in English Literature, and unwittingly got a minor in Psychology.      

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a B.S in Microbiology

I have a B.S in Microbiology with a minor in Anthropology....need to find a grad school for my MS and PhD

No Gods, Know Peace.

Piper2000ca
Piper2000ca's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have 3 years of

I have 3 years of university. I was working towards a degree in "Geology with a concentration in vertabrate palaeontology and palaeoecology" (Which primarily includes courses in Geology, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) However, I also took courses in Religion, Anthropology (I highly recommend this course if anybody here goes to Carleton University, especially if you get the same prof that I had), and Astronomy. However I quit university when I found out that I could become a commercial pilot, despite the fact I wear glasses (I also wasn't fond of the idea of writting papers for the rest of my life, I'm just too much of a hands-on type of guy).

While I absolutely love flying, there is much I miss about university (although I definately don't miss my stats class), so I try to stay as educated as possible in the fields that I'm interested in (namely Palaeontology and Astronomy).

By the way LeftofLarry, I like your thesis topic, sounds pretty cool.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm in my second year (of

I'm in my second year (of 3) of a BA in Politics and Philosophy at the wonderful University of Lancaster in grim North West of England. I'm planning on continuing to do an MA and PhD in Philosophy before eventually lecturing, writing and being an academic type.

I would support the hypothesis that high IQ is correlated with low religiosity, just from my everyday empiricism it does appear that no one I know with a fair amount of intelligence is religious. All the clever people I know do not have a religion. I myself have been an atheist since the age of 14 or 15, but I don't think I ever really did believe, I was 'Christian' of my own choice (my parents aren't religious), but it was really just wanting to be Christian and wanting to believe and go along with it, but when I prayed I was never sure if I was just pretending or not. Eventually after toying with Buddhism for a few months I just gave up wanting a religion and realised that atheism was good and made me happy and was probably the best way to look at things.

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
high school graduate with

high school graduate with one year of college, no degree. usual story, became a parent at a young age, working full time, can't give college studies the time they require or deserve. but i'm fine, solid job in medical records, enough money to pay the bills and be comfortable.

i seem to learn more and retain more knowledge from my own reading interests; sam harris, richard dawkins, chris mooney, al franken, etc. i read more now than i ever did in school, and i'm more politically involved, as well.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a BA in Information

I have a BA in Information Systems Technology.

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Currently a sophmore History

Currently a sophmore History Major (european emphasis) with a dobule minor medieval studies and museum studies. I've wanted to get a PhD since I knew what one was, so thats what I'm going for.  It was actually my one of my history classes "medieval philosophy" that helped push me over the edge. The fact that some people spend their entire lives as an apologist trying to find little backdoor ways to make Aristotle fit with the christian church just proves to me that they obviously don't agree.  If they were in harmony, you wouldn't have to act like a sneaky lawyer finding the loop hole to make it so.  All the ridiculous claims and "proofs" of god's existence, it just pushed me over the edge.  But yeah, it's kinda obvious that an atheist would be more educated, if not more intelligent at least.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd like to see some form

I'd like to see some form of emphatically truth in this claim that you're making about I.Q. and religion. I’m religious, I have a high I.Q. and I’m in college. There are plenty of Theists that are in academia and believe in God.

ttdm.blogspot.com

lucidfox13
lucidfox13's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster wrote: I'd

cslewisster wrote:

I'd like to see some form of emphatically truth in this claim that you're making about I.Q. and religion. I’m religious, I have a high I.Q. and I’m in college. There are plenty of Theists that are in academia and believe in God.

Well, I'll compare that a little to Dungeons and Dragons.  You can always have a high Intelligence stat (used for knowledge, reasoning, etc.) but have a low Wisdom stat (used for perception, common sense, etc.).  So while your wizard could know the history of the world, and a repitore of arcane spells, he could be out of touch of reality.  Then again, in D&D you can meet the gods, and see the result of their existance through spells and such...  Man, I'm such a geek.

Uh... anyway I'm just out of highschool.  I'm almost 1 year through a community college, majoring in interactive media and design.  I plan to transfer over to a 4 year university afterwards, hopefully to major in 3D animation.  My dream job would be to create 3D models for movies (like Shrek), or for video games.

JESUS SAVES!!! .... and takes only half damage!

Krehlic
Krehlic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am in college at the

I am in college at the moment. Two years in and I still haven't decided my major.

I even took a test at the school's career center to help me get a better idea of what I want to do. According to the results, I am a very indecisive person.
...I was hoping they'd tell me something about myself that I don't already know. Oh well.

Flying Spaghetti Monster -- Great Almighty God? Or GREATEST Almighty God?

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
lucidfox13 wrote: mpare

lucidfox13 wrote:

mpare that a little to Dungeons and Dragons. You can always have a high Intelligence stat (used for knowledge, reasoning, etc.) but have a low Wisdom stat (used for perception, common sense, etc.). So while your wizard could know the history of the world, and a repitore of arcane spells, he could be out of touch of reality. Then again, in D&D you can meet the gods, and see the result of their existance through spells and such... Man, I'm such a geek.

Why yes you are a geek. 

But honestly that is presupposing that of belief in God is delusional (which there is no emphatically data to prove. 

ttdm.blogspot.com

Maragon
Maragon's picture
User is offlineOffline
My fiancee and I go to the

My fiancee and I go to the University of Ottawa.

He's an Electrical Engineer, I'm working on my Social Service Worker diploma. 

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ok cslewisster, take the

Ok cslewisster, take the question and reverse it, it might make it more apparent. How many uneducated people are theists? The answer: most of them.  The majority of the world's population is made up of theists, while only a small percentage of the world's population is educated. The majority of the world's atheist population happens to fall within that small percentage of the population that is educated. I'm not calling you stupid, but i'm just saying that a lot of the people who become atheist do so because while at college they learn to better use their rational faculties to analyze what they have been spoon fed as absolute truth since childhood.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Medievalguy wrote: Ok

Medievalguy wrote:
Ok cslewisster, take the question and reverse it, it might make it more apparent. How many uneducated people are theists? The answer: most of them. The majority of the world's population is made up of theists, while only a small percentage of the world's population is educated. The majority of the world's atheist population happens to fall within that small percentage of the population that is educated. I'm not calling you stupid, but i'm just saying that a lot of the people who become atheist do so because while at college they learn to better use their rational faculties to analyze what they have been spoon fed as absolute truth since childhood.

No offense, but you've done nothing more than extrapolate localized claims (specifically American ones) about the nature of Atheism and you've applied it to the entire world. Take Sweden or the U.K. for instance, about half of their populations consist of atheists and unless their population defies the Bell Curve (which I doubt it does) then the majority of those atheists do not have high I.Q.'s and are just as "stupid" as your common Christian here in America.

You seem to be concerned with rejecting the manner in which you were raised “spoon fed” and that is all well and good, but it has nothing to do with the experience of all atheists around the world. When in 2000 there were 947,000 Atheists in the U.S. and 220,000,000 worldwide, there is no way that you can say that the experience of a few atheists on a message board is applicable to all the worlds wonderfully intelligent atheists. So if Adherents.com is correct then the Population of Atheists in the U.S. doesn’t even consist of 1% of your total population worldwide. So let’s face it, the majority of Atheists in the world are bound to be just as undereducated and stupid as Christians in this nation. In fact North Korea which is reported to be a 100% Atheist nation can’t be considered the world’s most educated nation. So I honestly don’t know why you would insist that the majority of Atheists are smart enlightened people when I believe that evidence would point to exactly the opposite. If North Korea is 100% atheistic they consist of 10% of the worlds Atheist population. If you include the former Russian countries (which are not well known for their educational systems) then you’ve got a majority of the worlds Atheist population that is undereducated.

ttdm.blogspot.com

NinjaTux
NinjaTux's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster wrote:   But

cslewisster wrote:

But honestly that is presupposing that of belief in God is delusional (which there is no emphatically data to prove.

Is the data trying to REALLLLLY prove something.....or did you just mis-type empirical....I'm hoping for the second one...and that is not a presupposition, it's an observation. 

No Gods, Know Peace.

Jessica0
Jessica0's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am a sophomore in chemical

I am a sophomore in chemical engineering

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
NinjaTux

NinjaTux wrote:
cslewisster wrote:

Is the data trying to REALLLLLY prove something.....or did you just mis-type empirical....I'm hoping for the second one...and that is not a presupposition, it's an observation.

Yes I meant empirical. 

Honeslty it's a stupid "observation" that has no basis in reality. 

ttdm.blogspot.com

Aullios
Aullios's picture
User is offlineOffline
I skipped my last two years

I skipped my last two years of high school to get an early start in college, and after 5 years of college I'm getting my BS in Meteorology in 3 weeks.

I became an atheist sometime during my first two years of college.

"'I need religion, otherwise my life is worthless.' Well tough, your life is worthless, so what?" --Richard Dawkins

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a Bachelors of

I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Game Development. (Computer Science)

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aullios wrote: I skipped

Aullios wrote:

I skipped my last two years of high school to get an early start in college, and after 5 years of college I'm getting my BS in Meteorology in 3 weeks.

I became an atheist sometime during my first two years of college.

You dropped out of high school so you could go to college?  You had a college accept you?  Woot!  That is absolutely awesome!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Great Dane
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster

cslewisster wrote:

Medievalguy wrote:
Ok cslewisster, take the question and reverse it, it might make it more apparent. How many uneducated people are theists? The answer: most of them. The majority of the world's population is made up of theists, while only a small percentage of the world's population is educated. The majority of the world's atheist population happens to fall within that small percentage of the population that is educated. I'm not calling you stupid, but i'm just saying that a lot of the people who become atheist do so because while at college they learn to better use their rational faculties to analyze what they have been spoon fed as absolute truth since childhood.

No offense, but you've done nothing more than extrapolate localized claims (specifically American ones) about the nature of Atheism and you've applied it to the entire world. Take Sweden or the U.K. for instance, about half of their populations consist of atheists and unless their population defies the Bell Curve (which I doubt it does) then the majority of those atheists do not have high I.Q.'s and are just as "stupid" as your common Christian here in America.

I would say I agree with your first statement. The Danish population, like the Swedish, is largely secular and of course we follow the Bell Curve. I have met wonderfully intelligent theists and woefully ignorant atheists. Religion here is not pervasive nor is it regarded as the norm, thus atheists are not generally viewed as "falling short" of any standard. Our intellectual capacities can therefore be judged by their own merit.

I will, however, take the liberty to divide atheists into two groups: Those who never had a religion (mentioned above) and those who have had one, but have lost it.

You seem to be well versed in statistics. I wil make the following statement:

People loose their religion by applying critical thinking to it. This can be done by anyone, but is more likely to be done by an educated person.

Therefore, no matter how small the latter group is, when you combine the two, you will end up with a group that is, however slightly, more educated than the general public, even on a world wide scale.

cslewisster wrote:

You seem to be concerned with rejecting the manner in which you were raised “spoon fed” and that is all well and good, but it has nothing to do with the experience of all atheists around the world. When in 2000 there were 947,000 Atheists in the U.S. and 220,000,000 worldwide, there is no way that you can say that the experience of a few atheists on a message board is applicable to all the worlds wonderfully intelligent atheists. So if Adherents.com is correct then the Population of Atheists in the U.S. doesn’t even consist of 1% of your total population worldwide. So let’s face it, the majority of Atheists in the world are bound to be just as undereducated and stupid as Christians in this nation. In fact North Korea which is reported to be a 100% Atheist nation can’t be considered the world’s most educated nation. So I honestly don’t know why you would insist that the majority of Atheists are smart enlightened people when I believe that evidence would point to exactly the opposite. If North Korea is 100% atheistic they consist of 10% of the worlds Atheist population. If you include the former Russian countries (which are not well known for their educational systems) then you’ve got a majority of the worlds Atheist population that is undereducated.

I think I covered your first claim earlier. Yes, of course the majority of the worlds "born" atheists will tend to be just as dumb and/or smart as the worlds theists. But the people who have shed religion is another matter.

However, I cannot let your last two claims slip by unnoticed. You say that North Korea is reported to be a 100% atheist nation. Kudos for your honesty - many Theists will omit the word "reported". Any report from a despot regime like that is unlikely to be true.

The truth is that North Korea is 100% Theistic. Their religion is called "Korean Communism" (or "Juche&quotEye-wink and their Deity is called Kim Il-sung - reborn in his son Kim Jong-il. The North Korean authorities claim a number of supernatural incidents to have occured around the time of Kim Il-sung's birth and at other times during his life. They claim that he had the power to personally supervise all aspects of North Korean Life, down to the smallest detail. They claim that he wielded supernatural powers.

Obviously, you will view these claims as ridiculous, as will I. But they certainly are not Atheistic in nature.

Finally, you mention the former Russian countries as examples of undereducated Atheists (and use their contribution to the pool of statistic material to make your final claim - that " a majority of the worlds Atheist population [...] is undereducated".)

Let it suffice to say that the majority of people in the former Sovjet Republics (not Russian countries, but your misnomer was so common during the cold war in the west, that we need not make any more of it) are hugely superstitious and overwhelmingly religious. But do not take my word for it. Try googling Belarus, Ukraine, Moldava, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan or Tajkistan and see how many atheist websites, how many atheist claims of superiority of the regions you can come up with.

Looking forward to a fruitful exchange of opinions.

Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God.

-Martin Luther

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
cslewisster

cslewisster wrote:
NinjaTux wrote:
cslewisster wrote:

Yes I meant empirical. 

Honeslty it's a stupid "observation" that has no basis in reality. 

I would have to myself see statistics to show the correlation between atheism and education, but it is a hypothesis I would support. Your example of the UK I can perhaps answer. We do have a high percentage of atheists and agnostics in this country, and it can in many cases be not to do with education but simply with absense of religion from upbringing, many people I know simply haven't been brought up religious, they aren't bothered by it, they just get on with life without it and wouldn't actually label themselves as atheist, theist, agnostic at all, it just isn't an issue.

Let's take a look at your claim about God not being delusional cslewisster. I want to introduce a thought experiment to you. Imagine you find yourself in a weird world, you have no knowledge of this new world and amnesia has caused you to have absolutely no knowledge of the old one. So, you begin to make some observations, grass is red, sky is green etc, there some weird creatures that look like huge sentient snails. And so you travel around this world picking up facts about it. But, not once to you ever find any evidence of a creator, there is nothing, you look long and hard but you cannot find anything, therefore you cannot know anything about a creator, absolutely zilch, and so you must ask yourself whether indeed there is a creator at all. You cannot know there is one, so you have no reason to believe it. If you do believe it, you stop looking for the real truth, you give up on the quest for knowledge, and give into the sentient snail's doctrine.

Now, in a way this is how we enter the world. We enter knowing nothing, only guided by our genetically programmed instincts, but we have the ability to gain knowledge. It is then a question of the most reliable way to gather knowledge, if we entered the world fully formed mentally, we would be less likely to have religion, but seeing as we don't, it becomes very hard to actually know how to gain knowledge empirically, and instead settle into habits of relying on others to tell us things with no grounds in reality.

cslewisster
Theist
cslewisster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great Dane wrote: I will,

Great Dane wrote:

I will, however, take the liberty to divide atheists into two groups: Those who never had a religion (mentioned above) and those who have had one, but have lost it.

I had figured that this might happen Smiling.

Great Dane wrote:

You seem to be well versed in statistics. I wil make the following statement:

People loose their religion by applying critical thinking to it. This can be done by anyone, but is more likely to be done by an educated person.

Therefore, no matter how small the latter group is, when you combine the two, you will end up with a group that is, however slightly, more educated than the general public, even on a world wide scale.

Now I might be stretching here a bit but, isn’t it possible that when someone "converts" to Christianity the same claim can be made about their choice. Though they may take the proverbial leap of faith (which I'd say even Atheists have to make though it does not deal with faith but is simply leaping), once they've made their choice it is most likely that they will educate themselves and find more out about what they now choose to believe. I myself could separate Christians into two very distinct groups the educated and the un-educated but I don’t believe that this would fly very well because then I would be accused of weeding out the stupid Christians, which I really wish I could.

Great Dane wrote:

However, I cannot let your last two claims slip by unnoticed. You say that North Korea is reported to be a 100% atheist nation. Kudos for your honesty - many Theists will omit the word "reported". Any report from a despot regime like that is unlikely to be true.

"Take every internet source (except for those written by experts on their college web space) with a grain of salt" is a nice succinct saying I like to live by.

Great Dane wrote:

The truth is that North Korea is 100% Theistic. Their religion is called "Korean Communism" (or "Juche&quotEye-wink and their Deity is called Kim Il-sung - reborn in his son Kim Jong-il. The North Korean authorities claim a number of supernatural incidents to have occured around the time of Kim Il-sung's birth and at other times during his life. They claim that he had the power to personally supervise all aspects of North Korean Life, down to the smallest detail. They claim that he wielded supernatural powers. 

If you have any links or references to these claims I'd be very interested in exploring this further.

Great Dane wrote:

Finally, you mention the former Russian countries as examples of undereducated Atheists (and use their contribution to the pool of statistic material to make your final claim - that " a majority of the worlds Atheist population [...] is undereducated".)

Let it suffice to say that the majority of people in the former Sovjet Republics (not Russian countries, but your misnomer was so common during the cold war in the west, that we need not make any more of it) are hugely superstitious and overwhelmingly religious. But do not take my word for it. Try googling Belarus, Ukraine, Moldava, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan or Tajkistan and see how many atheist websites, how many atheist claims of superiority of the regions you can come up with.

I never made the claim that the countries in question were highly atheistic, friend Smiling When I had written that I knew if one was to take most of the former Soviet Unions Atheist population (which seem to be about 10-20% for most countries) you would account for a majority of the worlds Atheists and that one could make the outright claim were uneducated.  I was simply crunching numbers quickly from countries that I knew one could not make the claim were educated by any stretch of the imagination. (The Czech Republic has 53% of people apparently mark that they do not believe in a God). My point was to only make the claim that (contrary to popular belief) all atheists are not the brilliant Renaissance Men of old. In fact I’d say (once again including the atheists that are either born or indifferent) that like the majority of Theists, the majority of Atheists are not educated and not intelligent and I would bet that if there were a proper poll take we would see that the Bell still applies.

One last thing, I would also like to point out that you seem to equate superstition with belief in God. I don’t think that the two are the same. Sam Harris is a bit of a mystic, but that doesn’t make him a believer in God. I don’t believe you can equate the two.

Great Dane wrote:

Looking forward to a fruitful exchange of opinions.

Me too, it feels good to just talk and not have to feel like you’re going to belittle me for my belief in God.

Blessings,

Matt 

ttdm.blogspot.com

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great Dane wrote: I would

Great Dane wrote:

I would say I agree with your first statement. The Danish population, like the Swedish, is largely secular and of course we follow the Bell Curve. I have met wonderfully intelligent theists and woefully ignorant atheists. Religion here is not pervasive nor is it regarded as the norm, thus atheists are not generally viewed as "falling short" of any standard. Our intellectual capacities can therefore be judged by their own merit.

And on that note: Welcome, fellow scandinavian!

BodaciousBrian
User is offlineOffline
Responding to the original

Responding to the original post.

Im self-educated.

All of my life I have been learning philosophy, theology, biology, and my latest... Physics...

Right now im watching all of the lectures a berkely physics course.  The best part about it is the math!  I leterally sit on the edge of my seat watching the professor show how e=mc2 is a much more accurate formula for KE=1/2mv2.  Facinating shit! 

I love physics so insanely much, that I'm actually trying to teach myself math.  If anyone has any links for algebra 1&2, pre calc, and calc. I would greatly appreciate it.(all of the math sites online seem to really suck)

Great Dane
User is offlineOffline
To avoid putting another

This comment has been moved here.

This thread is for "How Many Atheists Are Educated"

Please continue your discussion in the new thread.

Those who wish to post concerning "How Many Atheists Are Educated", please continue posting here.

Thanks! 

Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God.

-Martin Luther

Great Dane
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote: Great Dane

KSMB wrote:
Great Dane wrote:

And on that note: Welcome, fellow scandinavian!

Thank you! A pleasure to be here. 

-Martin Luther