A horrible violation of rights

Talking Dog
Talking Dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
A horrible violation of rights

Last year when I was still in High school I realized that the internet filter Websense that they use blocks specific categories such as “alternative religion” “alternative literature” and “pro-choice”. It doesn’t just block certain sites pertaining to these categories but all sites and lists those as the reason for blocking them. This must be a violation of the 1st amendment among other things. I realize that Websence is run by a bunch of menstruating soccer moms with nothing to do but bitch. But there must be something that can be done. Does anyone know who to talk to or where to go to bring attention to this situation?

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." - Pascal

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Since it's a business and

Since it's a business and not the government, the 1st ammendment wouldn't apply.

Talking Dog
Talking Dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
prehaps someone just need to

prehaps someone just need to blow the Websense corperation up.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Now there's an idea!

Now there's an idea! Evil

DrFear
User is offlineOffline
however, since the

however, since the corporation has been contracted by an agent of state (what i assume is a public school), does that not then cause it to become an element of the state?

Fear is the mindkiller.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Oh, I missed that. Yeah, big

Oh, I missed that. Yeah, big violation there.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Yeah that would be like a

Yeah that would be like a paying churches to help people then the church decides to not help certain people.

Wait... bad example...

The only argument the company could have is if it was understood that they would block sites like that or all those sites really do have something on them. If the school knew the company did it for "other" reasons then the school or those who let it happen should pay. If the school didn't know then the company is at fault because the company knows it is for a school. However in either case it may not be the whole group, but might just be a few people abusing power.

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
The school is ultimately

The school is ultimately responsible for whichever contractors it chooses. If a contractor clearly violates constitutional principles, then that school is ultimately responsible for getting rid of that contract. If the school is proven to be complicit in the actions of the contractor, then the school is held liable. Your next step would be to go to the school administration and let them know of the constitutional problems wiht this contractor. If the school chooses to do nothing you have a case.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

random_antitheist
User is offlineOffline
I was browsing the web on my

I was browsing the web on my schools computer and i went to atheists.org, evolvefish.com, and www.churchofsatan.com(as a joke) and several weeks later all 3 were blocked yet christiancoaltition.com was unblocked. Should I be shocked?(sarcasm)

Atheists never carbomb.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
You can do what me and my

You can do what me and my friends did. We sent a message thru all the servers saying there was an error and have it pop up on every single computer in the school. The one day we made it come up saying that there was a corrupt file and that the computer would need maitnenace and that it was recommended that the computer be shut down until a tech could take a look at it. The whole school was in an uproar cuz they threw out all types of paper trails so they had no way off taking attendence. Was frickin Hilarious.they gave us a day of ASD that no one showed up for.

Ps. Websense can be hacked so easily they really dont have any protection...