Please allow me to introduce myself

ellechero
ellechero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Please allow me to introduce myself

...I'm a man of wealth and taste.

Well, I have good taste, anyway.

Anyway, Rook pointed me this way from myspace and I figured I could use some good conversation with some rational thinkers.

My name's Marquis--that's my real name--my net handle is usually El Lechero. I'm an atheist living in Albuquerque. I found about about RRS from Freethoughtmedia.com where I'd gone to listen to the Infidel Guy.

I've been a lifelong lover of science. My first magazine subscription was when my parents bought one for me to Discover when I was 9. I think the first experience I had that turned me into a science freak was looking at a picture of Saturn in Discover and realizing that it was a real place somewhere out there. The Catholic education I was receiving at the time paled in comparison to that sense of real wonder and, much to my father's initial shagrin, I started identifying myself as an atheist shortly after.

I have almost no Christian friends so I'm blissfully free of being bothered with that, at least at an intimate level, most of the time. I've been a part of the "Gothic" subculture for many years and, thus, many of my friends identify themselves as pagans, witches, agnostics or atheists.

I embrace the principles of logic in my life and I respect anyone who can point out a flaw in mine so long as they're willing to acknowledge when there is a flaw in theirs. I spent a long time learning to "not rock the boat" but, thanks to folks like the RRS and others, I've come to appreciate the value of being a shit starter. Especially when confronted with people who are full of shit.

At any rate, what will motivate me to be that shit starter is intolerance (I'm bisexual and a bit of a libertine), hatred and watching people sacrifice their lives to their imaginary friends.

I also suck at describing myself. I am, however, a decent writer, having been a staff writer at a newspaper and having had articles published on technical subjects, album reviews, political screeds, etc.

I look forward to getting to know the folks that haunt these boards!

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I visited Albuquerque and

I visited Albuquerque and Santa Fe in June of '03.
78 degrees with 15% humidity for all three days. I only got to watch one dawn and one dusk over the sanguin de cristo (sp?) mountains.

I did find that a place as ethnically diverse as Alb. had such different forms of racism with regard to the native spanish and the mexican immigrants. For instance, I spoke with the owner of the hotel where I was staying. His wife was the rich daughter of a very famous family in Mexico City, but his parents still held disdain for her because they were native spanish. He had nearly been disowned by his family over the marriage. Shocked

I met a nice girl in the park in front of the governor's palace in Santa Fe. Her nickname was 'frijoles' (beans, I later learned) and we spoke for about an hour while smoking in the park since you couldn't smoke within 15' of a building.

Anyway, it's good to cyber meet you, ellechero.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

ellechero
ellechero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hola! Sangre De Cristo. The

Hola!

Sangre De Cristo. The Blood of Christ Mountains which overlook the Royal Village of the Holy Faith of Saint Francis of Assisi. The Spanish like those complicated names.

The racism between Mexicans and New Mexicans goes both ways here. The New Mexicans--who usually refer to themselves as Spanish, as if most of the Mexicans aren't Spanish, too--speak a different dialect of Spanish than most Mexicans do. I used to live north of SFe and a lot of the Spanish folks up there speak that older dialect. I never really understood the conflict, myself.

Albuquerque is way more diverse than SFe. SFe has much better marketing and it's kind of a rich person's playground, really. Albuquerque is much more interesting to me. I really don't like the small town vibe in Santa Fe.

Yeah, the smoking thing. SFe has a lot of health nuts, especially of the New Age variety. I met one lady who said she had "Multiple Chemical Sensitivity" which, according to her, meant she was severely allergic to everything. I told her that, if she were highly allergic to everything, she would inhale once, have an anaphylactic reaction and die. She didn't care for that. The wealthy never like having their hobby diseases questioned.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
ellechero wrote:Albuquerque

ellechero wrote:
Albuquerque is way more diverse than SFe. SFe has much better marketing and it's kind of a rich person's playground, really. Albuquerque is much more interesting to me. I really don't like the small town vibe in Santa Fe.

lol. Thus the reason that I didn't take the job that I was interviewing for during my visit. My spanish is BAD also. I would have had a crew that only 50% spoke English. I would have learned eventually. I was almost fooled when they offered $20k more than I was making until I saw prices and did some math. I would have been living in squalor.

Quote:
The wealthy never like having their hobby diseases questioned.

No doubt.

I also forgot that I didn't think my spouse would have enjoyed the water conservation aspect. She loves long showers and the pool.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Adair
Adair's picture
User is offlineOffline
hi

hi

ellechero
ellechero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hola!

Hola!