I Just received a personal reply from one of my congressmen regarding the Public Expression of Relgion Act

GodStoleMyFriends
GodStoleMyFriends's picture
User is offlineOffline
I Just received a personal reply from one of my congressmen regarding the Public Expression of Relgion Act

Dear Mr. Smith:

Thanks for contacting me about supporting HR 2679, the Public Expression of Religion Act of 2005, which would deny reimbursement of attorney's fees and costs to litigants that win cases under the anti-establishment clause of our Constituition.

While I firmly support separation of Church and State, I think we have gone too far toward dis-establisment of religion generally in the interest of asuing that we not establish a specific religion. And I have the same reaction that you do to many of the cases litigating this issue. I wish we could find a better balance. But I'll have to leave that to the Supreme Court (with it's two new appointees that I admire).

That said, I'm not sure the way to handle this by denying attorneys fees to prevailing parties. The actual cost per tax payer is miniscule. And this reimbursement is also given to those who successfully assery their religious rights. Litigants who show that government abridged their religious rights should be reimbursed for the cost of protecting those rights. So for now, I'll hold off on passing judgement about HR 2679 while I listen to more of the pros and cons.

Thanks for writing. Please let me know if I can help in any other way.

Very truly yours,
Jim

As a note this is from Rep. Jim Marshall, 3rd District, Georgia

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

GodStoleMyFriends
User is offlineOffline
Also, if anyone else gets

Also, if anyone else gets replies from their congressmen post them here. That way we can try to get a general idea regarding how many of them feel about this act.

"If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name at a Swiss Bank."-Woody Allen

"Atheism is life affirming in a way religion can never be."-Richard Dawkins

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
His words contradict him. If

His words contradict him. If that wasnt a secret wink to jesus I dont know what is. He basically politely said, 'Fuck you atheist"

'Two appointees I admire", translation, "I have the utmost confidence they wont side with the likes of "you people".

What a fucking asshole.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

GodStoleMyFriends
User is offlineOffline
The asshole was one of the

The asshole was one of the democrats who voted for the Public Expression of Religion Act.

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was somewhat glad that the

I was somewhat glad that the Congressman from my state, Republican by the way, was one of the handful of Republicans that at least abstained on this vote. I'd like to assume that was the political way to be against it without completely alienating the rest of his party. Considering he's even drafted bills in favor of embryonic stem cell research even if it was a bit of a compromise which dickhead cockgobbler vetoed anyway it seems likely that he was more against it than for it. Hopefully, his website will have more on his stance soon.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
- Eric Idle, from The Galaxy Song

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Democrats are not

Democrats are not necessarily any better than republicans when it comes to religious issues. Example: Barrack Obama. He's talking about embracing evangelicals. As a supporter of social freedom it would be impossible to embrace those that want to supress social freedoms. He's basically either lying to the evangelicals, embracing their ideals, or has no clue on the values of the evangelicals. He's only thinking along the political paradigm. In other words: he's thinking Democrats need to take control, no matter what. Religion in politics is ridiculous.

For your congressman to say we have gone to far is nothing but bullshit. The xtian right wing (yes including dems) are using a propaganda argument by victimizing relgion they can then move forward. It is not religion that is being victimized here, but freedom.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.