My xtain friend has cancer

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline
My xtain friend has cancer

I didn't know how to file this post but maybe this is good enough. I have a friend that is xtian. She has allowed me to debate her on religion and has actually agreed to a lot but still holds on to the bible for a source of morality and comfort in her life. She was diagnosed with cervical cancer a couple of months ago. She is undergoing chemo right now and I am going to visit with her tonight. Btw, she is very intelligent and a cool person who believes everyone should be able to think what they want.

This brings me to my dilemma. She is sure that there is an afterlife. I am going to indulge her. I was just wondering how anyone else might feel about a situation like this. I mean I want to be real with her but if it makes her feel safer and not as scared, it's the right thing to do...also she is in her late 20s and I am scared for her too as she is a good friend of mine. I don't think she is on her deathbed yet. I hope she comes out of this the winner. (Then maybe we can go back to our friendly debates).

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
MarthaSplatterhead

MarthaSplatterhead wrote:

This brings me to my dilemma. She is sure that there is an afterlife. I am going to indulge her. I was just wondering how anyone else might feel about a situation like this.

Your solution is love. In this case that love is good for you as well as for your friend. Smiling

I mean I want to be real with her but if it makes her feel safer and not as scared, it's the right thing to do...also she is in her late 20s and I am scared for her too as she is a good friend of mine. I don't think she is on her deathbed yet. I hope she comes out of this the winner. (Then maybe we can go back to our friendly debates).

I think in this case just being with her is the right thing. Comforting.
Afterlife? God? I would just listen to her. Just listen. Say you are open minded if she pushes the subject and just listen.

I think you are doing the right thing.

I hope your friend gets better. She most likely will. Doctors know their stuff. Smiling

jester700
User is offlineOffline
I would be uncomfortable

I would be uncomfortable continuing the discussion until she felt that she was "in the clear", and I'd tell her so. But that's me. And if she insisted, I would agree to continue, with the caveat that I'm not going to be dishonest about my thoughts at any point, but that she can choose to discontinue the conversation at any time - so long as she still welcomes me to continue visiting her for support.

BTW, good luck to your friend. I wish her well, and if god exists I'll give him an extra ass kicking on her behalf when we meet.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
At the beggining of summer

At the beggining of summer my mom had to have open heart surgry. I was scared. I was having a hard time through it.

I tell people I am deist, because atheism is a touchy issue. I am not ready to tell people I am an atheist yet. At the hospital some relatives used my moms being in the hospital to bring me back to Christ. I just listened to them and said I would be open minded and consider things. I did not give any imput I just listened. My mom kind of wanted the same. I just listened. That week was just one of many more weeks to come and so I decided to just listen and comfort for that situation. I do not regret it and they still know I am not a Christian. They did not succeed.

Love is important. In my opinion.

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
AntiFaith

AntiFaith wrote:

This brings me to my dilemma. She is sure that there is an afterlife. I am going to indulge her. I was just wondering how anyone else might feel about a situation like this.

Your solution is love. In this case that love is good for you as well as for your friend. Smiling

I mean I want to be real with her but if it makes her feel safer and not as scared, it's the right thing to do...also she is in her late 20s and I am scared for her too as she is a good friend of mine. I don't think she is on her deathbed yet. I hope she comes out of this the winner. (Then maybe we can go back to our friendly debates).

I think in this case just being with her is the right thing. Comforting.
Afterlife? God? I would just listen to her. Just listen. Say you are open minded if she pushes the subject and just listen.

I think you are doing the right thing.

I hope your friend gets better. She most likely will. Doctors know their stuff. Smiling

I hope so. I just got back from there. The topic, of course, never came up. I guess if I was sick like that, somebody would probably come in trying to pray for me and me being me would get annoyed at that.

jester700 wrote:
I would be uncomfortable continuing the discussion until she felt that she was "in the clear", and I'd tell her so. But that's me. And if she insisted, I would agree to continue, with the caveat that I'm not going to be dishonest about my thoughts at any point, but that she can choose to discontinue the conversation at any time - so long as she still welcomes me to continue visiting her for support.

BTW, good luck to your friend. I wish her well, and if god exists I'll give him an extra ass kicking on her behalf when we meet.

Thanks, to both of you. I am feeling really freaked out right now.

AntiFaith
AntiFaith's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe this is

Maybe this is superstitous...but I send positive thoughts your way Martha. Smiling

User is offlineOffline
Well... She died last

Well...

She died last night.  Many will say she's off to a better place and maybe they are right in a sense.  Nothingness is certainly better than that sick battle she tried to fight.  I will miss her so much.  I haven't cried but rather felt happy when I was told she died.  I guess I have been in mourning for her since she started chemo around October 06, then she stopped doing that and had hospice come and hook her up to self-dosing morphine.  Fucking cancer. FUUUUUUCKCKCKCK

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh Martha, I'm so very

Oh Martha,

I'm so very sorry to hear about your friend.  It's so hard to lose a friend like that.  It's just not fair.

I hope that eventually the hole in your heart will be filled with warm memories of your friend.

There are huge, virtual hugs coming your way.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

User is offlineOffline
Thanks Susan. *hug*

Thanks Susan. *hug*