Why There Are So Many Cat Lovers At This Forum

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why There Are So Many Cat Lovers At This Forum

Cats are freethinkers!
1. Cats and freethinkers are independent by nature. It is not that they are antisocial, but they do not need constant approval of their peers in order to live happily.
2. Have you ever seen obedience school for cats? Or a freethought "church" where you are told what to think?
3. Cats and freethinkers do not easily suffer guilt. Their moral code is intrinsic. For the most part, they naturally do the right thing.
4. Cats and freethinkers live in the here and now, savoring their existence rather than anticipating celestial reward (the "nine lives" theory and eternity notwithstanding).
5. Both may demand their due (meals for cats; constitutional rights for freethinkers), but they will not grovel for it!
6. Cats and freethinkers will not accept lords or masters. They are their own gods!

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

jester700
User is offlineOffline
Cats lick themselves. If

Cats lick themselves. If only I could reach... Eye-wink

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can only imagine a cat at

I can only imagine a cat at "obedience" school.. Shocked hahahahaha

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Be about as succesful as one

Be about as succesful as one of us at a fundie church!

AtheistConvictXIIISur13 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Kitties are little cutties.

Kitties are little cutties. Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I myself prefer cats to

I myself prefer cats to people.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:I myself

MattShizzle wrote:
I myself prefer cats to people.

Amen. The more I know people, the more I prefer my cats.

LeftofLarry wrote:
I can only imagine a cat at "obedience" school.. Shocked hahahahaha

I think you misunderstand. My cats MUST have gone to obedience school because they have taught me to be very obedient to their every whim. After all, I had one that got breakfast in bed, on her pillow, every morning for years.

cbenard
cbenard's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm allergic. I still love

I'm allergic. Sad

I still love cats. I just can't be around them very long, and I have to wash my hands almost immediately if I touch one. They're still awesome.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This is actually something

This is actually something to think about now. I know Dan Barker and David Mills both had or have cats from reading their books. Maybe there is something to Atheists liking cats more than dogs. And of course, look what religion tended to have a negative view of cats - including killing them as of the devil. I've read that this was probably one of the reasons for the Black Death.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm so happy to hear that

I'm so happy to hear that there are cat lovers here....

Susan wrote:

Cats are freethinkers!

1. Cats and freethinkers are independent by nature. It is not that they are antisocial, but they do not need constant approval of their peers in order to live happily.

Yep! Although I just introduced a new cat to my household who does need a bit of love an attention: a little cat that appears to be about to have kittens... I just found her a week ago and named Kiki, after "Kiki's flying delivery service".

Quote:

2. Have you ever seen obedience school for cats? Or a freethought "church" where you are told what to think?

3. Cats and freethinkers do not easily suffer guilt. Their moral code is intrinsic. For the most part, they naturally do the right thing.

4. Cats and freethinkers live in the here and now, savoring their existence rather than anticipating celestial reward (the "nine lives" theory and eternity notwithstanding).

5. Both may demand their due (meals for cats; constitutional rights for freethinkers), but they will not grovel for it!

6. Cats and freethinkers will not accept lords or masters. They are their own gods!

Indeed!

A dog considers all the love and attention we give him, and comes away with the conclusion that we must be gods.

A cat considers all the love an attention we give to him, and comes away with the conclusion that he must be s a god!

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: A dog

todangst wrote:

A dog considers all the love and attention we give him, and comes away with the conclusion that we must be gods.

A cat considers all the love an attention we give to him, and comes away with the conclusion that he must be s a god!

I think it's Nimitz on IG that has for a signature, "Cats were once worshipped as gods. Cats never forgot this." That about sums it up.

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
- Eric Idle, from The Galaxy Song

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Yep!

todangst wrote:

Yep! Although I just introduced a new cat to my household who does need a bit of love an attention: a little cat that appears to be about to have kittens... I just found her a week ago and named Kiki, after "Kiki's flying delivery service".

Lucky little Kiki to have found you in her hour of need. Now she doesn't have to attempt to find a safe place to have her babies.

How kind you are to rescue a critter in desperate need! How many Xians would have left her to fend for herself and her impending family.

Please keep us up to date and pictures are always welcome!

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Nikos Dimou, a famous

Nikos Dimou, a famous agnostic Greek writer has written a great book on cats. I don't know if it has been translated on english though...

Saying there can't be morality without God,
is like saying there can't be presents without Santa Claus!

SilkyShrew
Rational VIP!
SilkyShrew's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kitties are awesome! Onyx I

Kitties are awesome!

Onyx

I don't have a picture of Fizgig yet.

Jutter
Jutter's picture
User is offlineOffline
Not the best of pics, but

Not the best of pics, but that's one of my 2 cats Chewie.

I don't wanna get pretentious about my cats. Love em to bits. Freethinkers they're not. They'll submit to the almighty crumbled up piece of paper and follow like a flock of sheep, and yes they will worship the opener of the can and preform the ritual rubbing against the leg. Sometimes they're just loopy man, they get this look in their eyes, ever seen that look, charly manson psycho man, and then they katapult off like a Harrier Jumpjet chasing what must be an absentee.

It's pretty much dogturds, that's what more than anything else made turn away from dogs and become a catperson.

~Let us be reasonable~

You want to claim there's such a thing as "the supernatural"? Fine. I hereby declare you to be "paracorrect" in doing so. 

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
reminds me of the Cat in Red

reminds me of the Cat in Red Dwarf:

you'll never get a cat to fetch a stick.
"Hey, you threw the stick, you go get it yourself!
if you wanted the stick so bad why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

Bjxrn
Bjxrn's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kittens are the nasties

Kittens are the nasties creatures on this planet, I cant understand how anyone can find them cute Laughing out loud

Is it better to have loved and lost?

MarthaSplatterhead (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I'm not a cat lover per se.

I'm not a cat lover per se. I have three cats, two dogs and some fish. I like having animals around. They make my little world more interesting. I think if more people were animal friendly we wouldn't have so many in the pound. BTW, I got all my animal roommates from the pound except Stewie the basset hound/boxer mix. He is too freaking cute!

Zero
Website Admin
Zero's picture
User is offlineOffline
penelope

Penelope:

..zero..
href="http://www.doubledoh.com" title="DoubleDoh Shirts" alt="DoubleDoh Shirts">DoubleDoh

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a great picture! Do

What a great picture!

Do you have any idea wha Penelope was thinking when that picture was taken? It might be something like, "I cannot believe you actually did that!"

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
She looks like my Miss

She looks like my Miss Callie!

BarkAtTheMoon
Rational VIP!
BarkAtTheMoon's picture
User is offlineOffline
From The Onion: "Kitten

From The Onion:

"Kitten Thinks Of Nothing But Murder All Day"

VonSchnee
VonSchnee's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cats

Cats do not purr because you pet them, you pet them because they purr.-Unknown Cat Logic

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Susan wrote:todangst

Susan wrote:
todangst wrote:

Lucky little Kiki to have found you in her hour of need. Now she doesn't have to attempt to find a safe place to have her babies.

How kind you are to rescue a critter in desperate need! How many Xians would have left her to fend for herself and her impending family.

Hey... unfortunately I was wrong... she looked pregnant, but the vet I took her to said that younger females sometimes can look pregnant due to hormonal inbalances, etc..... so.... no kittens after all Sad

Still, I'm glad to have her around!

Those who know the good, do the good. - Socrates

Books on atheism.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Susan

todangst wrote:
Susan wrote:

Hey... unfortunately I was wrong... she looked pregnant, but the vet I took her to said that younger females sometimes can look pregnant due to hormonal inbalances, etc..... so.... no kittens after all Sad

Still, I'm glad to have her around!

Actually, that news makes me happy. Hopefully she's already fixed or will be soon. (Kitties can be fixed as young as 8 weeks - they do it at shelters all the time! You just have to be a bit more careful. Kittens can't go 12 hours without being fed and they need to be kept warm after surgery.)

Pictures would still be most welcome! She's still a very lucky little girl to have adopted you. Smiling

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Quoting Richard Dawkins:

Quoting Richard Dawkins: "The great majority of the US adult population call themselves Christian: 160 million adults. But what group takes second place? Jews? No. For all their formidable electoral clout, the 2.8 million Jews are massively outnumbered by the nearly 30 million non-religious or secular Americans. Organizing atheists is like herding cats." Laughing out loud

Taken from:

http://richarddawkins.net/mainPage.php?bodyPage=article_body.php&id=170

Voided
User is offlineOffline
As long as we are going to

As long as we are going to be posting pics of cats...

ok that one was just fun but my cat is probably a mix of these two

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK. Guess it's my

OK. Guess it's my turn.

This is a picture I like to call "Why I Can't Get A Date" (Clockwise from top left - Josie, Lazarus, Emily Jean and Winston)

But I also have "The Lovely Louise"

And there's Darlene and Winston, Dar-Win for short!

Guess I shouldn't leave Stan out. What's he looking at, you ask? Just air.

Or Stella

Pallas
Pallas's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love this post and so do

I love this post and so do my five cats.

Voided
User is offlineOffline
O.O and I thought 3 cats

O.O and I thought 3 cats were a lot. Is there littler box the size of a car?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a friend with waaaay

I have a friend with waaaay more critters than I have. He has a kiddie wading pool in his basement that is a giant litter box.

On the other hand, I have 11 boxes that I clean twice a day.

Only three cats? I know a lot of folks that do rescue work. We can fix that! Smiling

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Isn't it interesting that

Isn't it interesting that Atheists are almost universally kind to critters?

Voided
User is offlineOffline
For some reason I can't harm

For some reason I can't harm a spider or gecko. However I really don't like roaches and let my cats hunt them, if the roach wasn't sprayed with anything. The third cat was a rescue and we still need to take it to a vet for shots and stuff.

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
The cats of the writer I

The cats of the writer I mentioned before (Nikos Dimou):

Many theists I know, don't like cats. Sticking out tongue

Voided
User is offlineOffline
I know a theist who doesn't

I know a theist who doesn't like cats but she is crazy. No, not for being theist there are many other reasons...

Also http://www.dbhome.dk/carlo/cat.htm has some odd info on the subject...

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have a cat. HIS name is

I have a cat. HIS name is Payton. Yes I spelled it wrong the first time I took him to the vet. I didnt know there was a differance in spelling. Decided to continue spelling HIS name that way.

But anywho, my x-wife named him after Indy'd Quarterback Peyton Manning.

Besides that, Payton really is a great cat. He is tons more affectionate than most cats I have known. He is an indoor cat.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
The link to the Q&A that, in

The link to the Q&A that, in essence, asks "Daddy, can I have a cat?" is some pretty twisted logic.

When it got to talking about "blatant promiscuity (being unknown to any other species, all others being endowed with Godly chastity and decorum)" I thought it couldn't get any more twisted...

I was wrong! Right beyond that sentence, it criticized cats for "widespread sexual misconduct without the benefit or sanctity of holy matrimony" (Do their other critters have marriage ceremonies before mating???)

Then, "producing ungodly sounds" and "excessive playfulness."

Of course, they denegrated kitties for enjoying catnip and called it substance abuse!

They even quoted scripture! "The Bible clearly shows that 'neither fornicators .. nor thieves .. nor drunkards .. nor revilers .. will inherit the Kingdom.' (1 Cor. 6:9-11)"

These people have some real problems. If there were a god and he created felines, looks to me like they're criticizing his work.

Wonder what they'll think about cats when the Black Plague comes back because they don't have any kitties out there killing rodents.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's fucking crazy! Is it

That's fucking crazy! Laughing out loud

Is it serious or a parody?

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadly, I think it's deadly

Sadly, I think it's deadly serious. If you take off the last node of the URL, you get a page:
"PAY ATTENTION TO YOURSELVES AND TO ALL THE FLOCK"
from
WATCH TOWER BIBLE AND TRACT SOCIETY OF PENNSYLVANIA

Next time the Jehovah's Witnesses knock on my door, I think I'll introduce them to Stan. Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Fuck. Christians believe in

Fuck. Christians believe in such insane things and spout off such insanity sometimes it's hard to tell when it's them and they are serious and when it's someone like the Landover Baptist! :ROTF:

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote:Fuck.

MattShizzle wrote:
Fuck. Christians believe in such insane things and spout off such insanity sometimes it's hard to tell when it's them and they are serious and when it's someone like the Landover Baptist! :ROTF:

Laughing out loud... indeed!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It would be funnier if it

It would be funnier if it wasn't so scary - and if these weren't the people making decisions that affect all of our lives. Another reason Christians may have been anti-cat was that they were popular with moslems (Mohammed was supposed to have liked cats.)

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Quote:I was wrong! Right

Quote:
I was wrong! Right beyond that sentence, it criticized cats for "widespread sexual misconduct without the benefit or sanctity of holy matrimony" (Do their other critters have marriage ceremonies before mating???

It looks like dogs are more pious than heathen cats! Laughing out loud

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Didn't you ever see those

Didn't you ever see those stories about where they marry frogs and such in India to try to make it rain? (for some reason whatever god causes rain is partial to frog weddings.)

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
hahaha didn't know about

hahaha didn't know about that! Frog marriage causing rains... interesting!

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
And then there's the news

And then there's the news story about the man forced to marry a goat.

Sudan man forced to 'marry' goat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4748292.stm

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That's really, really fucked

That's really, really fucked up! Laughing out loud

Voided
User is offlineOffline
Now who to feel sorry

Now who to feel sorry for...

the man for need the goat or the goat that was raped...

Derevirn
User is offlineOffline
Truly holy matrimony

Truly holy matrimony Smiling

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
That had to be one weird

That had to be one weird fucking wedding! Jawdropping!