The thread on how to use this site, features, and updates

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
The thread on how to use this site, features, and updates

As I've been saying, this site will give us much more functionality than before. Bugs and bitching go here.

First... You'll notice we don't make "posts" anymore. We create "content."

There are many different types of content, standard users have access to only several of them now, but as we get set up you'll have more....... see thread for more....

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Some recent additions:

Within the "create content" section of your navigation bar on the left you'll see "blog entry." I'd like to see some of you using it. Especially the more frequent members. You can attach a file directly from your hard drive onto your blog. The blogs then are posted in a mix of all the blogs from our community in the "blogs" button on the left hand side of the page.

Another type of content is images. All registered members of the board have the ability to upload pictures to our image gallery straight from your hard drive! Here is the first gallery I started. Please add an image of you by clicking "create content---- image." Make sure to click "pictures of our members" in the drop down menu asking you which gallery to put it in. Users can then comment on the pictures other leave. (old board didn't do that now, did it?) Eye-wink

The "story" type of content is similar to a blog. For you aspiring writers and journalists, if you would like your articles featured on the home page, you can create a 'story.' If we are impressed and think others would enjoy it, we'll publish it on the home page of rationalresponders.com

Hopefully everyone can figure out "forum topic" content. However, what you might not have noticed is that if you are the first person to start a thread you can also attach a file (again straight from your hard drive). In the future all posters will be able to upload images and files in all posts on the forum. Smiling (all straight from your hard drive) Yeah, that's right the atheist version of photobucket. Sticking out tongue (thanks again to www.doubledoh.com (ZERO) for hosting all of our shit for free, because he's such a die hard fan!)

There are tons of other functions already up, and on the way, but I've got to move on to some other work. Let's use this thread to ask questions about functionality, and ANYONE who knows the answer please chime in.

Some recent additions:

1. "my buddy list" look on the left hand side, and you'll see your list. You can currently add people to your buddy list by going to their profile. Currently the best way to do this is to click their name if you see them post somewhere. Were working on a good search function. After you add buddies you'll be able to track their actions so you never miss one of their posts. You will be alerted by a small green box that shows up on the page showing you who has added you as a friend. You can take that opporunity to add them.

2. USER POINTS We now award points based on your usage of our site. These points can later be turned in to purchase shows and products from us. As we add a function to the site we'll add points for those functions if needed.
Points for posting a blog entry: 4 Points for responding to a thread, a blog, or any other node: 4 Points for posting an image: 2.5 Points for posting a story for mod review: 2 Points for starting a thread in a forum: 2

3. Smiley faces to the left while you're making a post, however this is a temporary item to be replaced by more commenting functionality later.
4. You'll now see if FreethoughtMedia.com is airing a show on the left hand side. Soon the module will blend in better with the background. Use the "tune in here" links to listen to the stream if something is airing.
5. You can access the FreethoughtMedia.com chatroom and speak with many of the users from the larger InfidelGuy.com community and entire Freethoughtmedia.com network.
6. There is now a counter to get you ramped up for the next airing of the RRS.

... just getting started.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
UPDATES: 1. We are now

UPDATES:

1. We are now completely live with www.rationalresponders.com being the main source of our page. This now enables us to use very search friendly urls throughout the site which will increase traffic from search engines.

2. Subscribers might start to notice that files will be hosted at BrianSapient.com. This will help us funnel the bandwidth we use in the right areas.

3. You now also have access to all of the old content on the old site including any posts that you want to refer back to: http://www.briansapient.com/modules.php?name=Forums
There is no posting at the old board. The video library and thoughts and views library remain there, if you want to refer to them for anything.

3. Please use our homepage more frequently then you have in the past to access the site. There is content on the right and in the center of that page that might help you realize the full potential of this site.

4. The site doesn't render properly in IE. If you want to see it properly download firefox, while we work out kinks.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where have I missed the

Where have I missed the legend that gives a description of the icons within the forums? The "bulletin" is obvious: envelope with pushpin. There's the sealed envelope which is a topic. But what, exactly, is the envelope with the insert? Does that indicate that the thread is in multiple forums?

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
I think it refers to a hot

I think it refers to a hot topic. I think it may be over 20 posts in a thread and it becomes hot.

andy397
User is offlineOffline
Just saying hi, might have

Just saying hi, might have to come back in firefox

Teresa Nichols
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Whenever I post here . . .

. . . I get this weird "fatal error" message, both in firefox and my other browser (whatever it is):

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: comment_last_page() in /home/rrcom/public_html/modules/comment.module on line 1454

Is there anything to be done about that (which won't hurt my techno-challenged brain to attempt)?

Also, for the private classes, does one need to get an invitation or is there a place to log on somewhere (once I've registered with the survey, which I already did yesterday)? 

I don't see any suggestions or help in that regard. I've missed the 4:00 class (cuz i don't know where it is) and will have to go to the 11:00 p.m., if I'm allowed in.  It sucks cuz I've got to work tomorrow . . .

Thanks if you can help me out! 

HellyK
User is offlineOffline
The class was changed to

The class was changed to thursday, same time (4:00 pm et) and place(stickam-sapient's private stickam) If you have any questions about the time and place of the class let me know, I'll be glad to help you.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
How to embed a

How to embed a video:

When you are posting a video and you want to embed it you can do it two ways.

1. Type any text you want, then click the 'html' button in the toolbar above and paste the embed html (like from youtube) in the window.

2. Type any text you want, and paste the embed html. Then click the words below 'input format' and choose 'html'.

(edit - picture removed) 

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tutorial on how to use the

Tutorial on how to use the Quote Function can be found here.

Smilies and Compose tips can be found here.  

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Picture change

Heya, quick question about user images (this goes here, right?)

I went into my account settings and have been trying to upload a new image in place of my old one.

The image I'm trying to use is 8.11kb and its dimensions are 150x145. It's a JPEG.

I browse for the image and select it, but when I submit the changes my old picture remains. I tried deleting the old picture first, which works, but then when I try to upload my new image, the old image simply comes back.

Anyone have any idea what's going on? Because I don't.

*edit*

Nevermind. Apparently the twelfth time's a charm! 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
99% of the time when you

99% of the time when you change your picture and it does not show up immediately all you have to do is refresh your browser and it should show up. In the 1% of the times that does not work clear your cookies and log back in and it should be there.

Omnibus
User is offlineOffline
Is this Why the Right Hand side is cut off?

Quote:
4. The site doesn't render properly in IE. If you want to see it properly download firefox, while we work out kinks

Some forum threads have the right hand side of the replys/page cut off. I'm not getting parts of words. Looks like the page is too wide for the screen but there is no horizontal scroll bar to move it over. It is annoying. I can not switch out IE for firefox as this is a work computer.

Is there a fix?

Thanks.

Too bad stupidity isn't poisonous.

Wordplayer
Wordplayer's picture
User is offlineOffline
Omnibus wrote: Quote: 4.

Omnibus wrote:

Quote:
4. The site doesn't render properly in IE. If you want to see it properly download firefox, while we work out kinks

Some forum threads have the right hand side of the replys/page cut off. I'm not getting parts of words. Looks like the page is too wide for the screen but there is no horizontal scroll bar to move it over. It is annoying. I can not switch out IE for firefox as this is a work computer.

Is there a fix?

Thanks.

Ditto -- same problem, same circumstances.  Any help would be appreciated.

~Wordplayer

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
As a $3/month subscriber

As a $3/month subscriber you can change your theme.  http://www.rationalresponders.com/monthly_subscriptions

Changing the theme on the site will fix the problem, however there will be less color coordination.  In a few weeks we'll be overhauling the entire design and seek to be IE compatible which is turning out to be nearly impossible.  If you fix one thing for IE it breaks in firefox, and vice versa.  We're trying.  If all works well that problem will be solved naturally within a few weeks when we release an entirely new look to the site. 

ctressle
User is offlineOffline
Is it ok to try to

Is it ok to try to experiment with things in this thread? (If not, I suppose the mods can kill or move this post to one of my older ones, titled something like "experimenting with quote function: Hovind" or something like that...)

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
"I can not switch out IE for

"I can not switch out IE for firefox as this is a work computer." //// 

You don't "switch out", you just add the additional browser "Firefox". It doesn't effect your other browsers. I use both IE and FIREFOX at the same time, and use to have a 3rd browser, Opera", too ...... You get an addition desk top short cut Icon to use at will ,  for all the browsers you want ...  simple ... you ALL need simple easy Firefox .... 

thingy
SuperfanGold Member
thingy's picture
User is offlineOffline
How to add Links, Images and

How to add Links, Images and Flash to posts!

This is a (hopefully) simple guide to adding Links, Images, and Flash videos to your posts so others can actually use them.

Links:

To add a link to a post, the first step is to type up the text you want to describe what ever it is you're linking to.  Once that is done, highlight a word you'd like to use as the link and look along the bars above the text entry window for a button that looks like this .

Then, all you need to do is paste the website address in to the "URL" field.  Once you click on "Ok", the highlighted word will now be a link to the website.

To add an image to a post, the first step is to type up the text you want to accompany the image.  Once that is done, put the curser where you would like the image to appear and look along the bars above the text entry window for a button that looks like this .

Then, all you need to do is paste the address for the image (Note: It needs to be a website address - you cannot upload an image from your own computer).  Once you clik on "Ok", the image should appear in the text entry window as it would in the post.

Flash:

To add a flashing movie from youtube, the first step is to type up the text you want to accompany the video.  Once that is done, put the curser where you want the video to appear and look along the bars above the text entry window for a button that looks like this .

Then, all you need to do is look at the right hand side of the youtube page JUST below the video description and copy the crazy gobbledygook from under the word "Embed", then copy that in to the field labelled "URL" and click "Ok".  An image like this  will appear in your post, but if you click on "Preview Comment" you will see how the video will actually appear once you post your comment.

And that's it.  Following my own instructions here is:

a link,

an image ,

and a flash video

Organised religion is the ultimate form of blasphemy.
Censored and blacked out for internet access in ANZ!
AU: http://nocleanfeed.com/ | NZ: http://nzblackout.org/

jigsaw (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
How do you sort topics by

How do you sort topics by most recent post? When I try to, they come out... generally in order, but still, many old ones in with the new, and vice versa.

jigsaw (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
When you try to sort topics

When you try to sort topics by the most recent post, it doesn't come out in order... anyone know what's up with this?

illicitizen
illicitizen's picture
User is offlineOffline
find replies to your threads?

Is there a way to get back to threads you commented on? Sorry if this was explained elsewhere.

I'm the illicit citizen, ILLICITIZEN as it were.
http://illicitizen.com

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
illicitizen wrote: Is there

illicitizen wrote:

Is there a way to get back to threads you commented on? Sorry if this was explained elsewhere.

I'm fairly certain that all users have the right to view this page, let me know if it says access denied:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/user/illicitizen/track

You can locate that by clicking "my account" at the top and then clicking the "track" tab.

illicitizen
illicitizen's picture
User is offlineOffline
thanks

found it right after that.

+

1982mockingbird1982 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Can Buddists and Jains join

Hi. This is probably the wrong place to post this question, but I couldnt find a more appropriate thread so...sorry. Also I read the RULES page but i couldnt find any information about who could join this site

Can I join this site if Im Buddist or Jain? Technically I follow a religeon but there are no Gods so in that sense I could be considered Athiest, and I tend to agree with Athiests on alot of things and support secularism and oppose any religeos extreminism etc. So I wont be posting any Pro Buddist or pro-Jain stuff or bringing too many religeous viewpoints to the discussion.  And Im ex Christian and have some genuine critisms of every religeon.

Sorry, I wanted be 100% certain before I joined this site and took up server space with my account and like I said I couldnt find the answer in the Rule page

Thanx

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
1982mockingbird1982

1982mockingbird1982 wrote:

Can I join this site if Im Buddist or Jain? Technically I follow a religeon but there are no Gods so in that sense I could be considered Athiest, and I tend to agree with Athiests on alot of things and support secularism and oppose any religeos extreminism etc. So I wont be posting any Pro Buddist or pro-Jain stuff or bringing too many religeous viewpoints to the discussion.  And Im ex Christian and have some genuine critisms of every religeon.

Sorry, I wanted be 100% certain before I joined this site and took up server space with my account and like I said I couldnt find the answer in the Rule page

Thanx

Welcome.

Anyone can become a member of this forum. It doesn't matter what your beliefs are as long as you do not break any forum rules.

I apologize for taking so long to reply.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
This site needs to be

This site needs to be updated to allow you to select the page you want to go to at the topic page.

ymalmsteen887
User is offlineOffline
How do you delete your

How do you delete your account?

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 We don't allow account

We don't allow account deletion as it affects activity that the user has participated in.  However I can block you if you're not able to control yourself.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

I'm going to follow thingy's instructions and post a link, an image, and embed a video (even though his button icons didn't show up).

1)  a link to wikipedia:  here

2)  an image of the evolution of humans: 

and,

3)  an embedded video of meditation music:

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

One more try (my videos never embed).

1)  a link to wikipedia:  here

2)  an image of the evolution of humans: 

and, let's see if it works this time,

3)  an embedded video of meditation music: 

P.S.  I just checked Preview comment and it showed a big white blocklike image above my text that didn't appear in my draft, and my embed isn't there, but I'm going to Post comment and see if it shows up.

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
practice

Cat chasing a laser:

Mods!  Why does my video only appear in my text box but not the preview?

## mod edit video

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline

I checked the box that says "use old embed code" on Youtube. I pasted that into the url of the "Insert/edit flash" feature in rich text. Then, gave it a size.    

Many edits later: Nooooooooo!!,  

The way I used to do it doesn't work? I can't figure it out now. North Koreans Weeping Over Death of Kim Jung Il is an epic video BTW; you should all watch it, lol.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
practice

Meditation music:

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

butterbattle wrote:

I checked the box that says "use old embed code" on Youtube. I pasted that into the url of the "Insert/edit flash" feature in rich text. Then, gave it a size.    

Thanks, butterbattle.  That worked to get the video in the preview box, but then when I clicked on play (still in the preview box) it said "invalid parameters."  I think that's what it said, I might have forgotten already.  Also, when I typed something below the video in the text field it didn't show up in the preview box and then the video disappeared (from the preview box).

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
3 months from now I hope to

3 months from now I hope to make the process much easier on the upgraded version of this site.  To keep pages more secure from virus placement this it's not easy for non mods to post videos.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Philosophicus wrote:Thanks,

Philosophicus wrote:

Thanks, butterbattle.  That worked to get the video in the preview box, but then when I clicked on play (still in the preview box) it said "invalid parameters."

Awww dammit!

It doesn't work?  

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline

butterbattle wrote:

Many edits later: Nooooooooo!!,  

The way I used to do it doesn't work? I can't figure it out now. North Koreans Weeping Over Death of Kim Jung Il is an epic video BTW; you should all watch it, lol.

No, neither of ours worked.  By the way, I just watched North Koreans weeping hysterically over the death of Kim Jong Il for three minutes on YouTube.  I laughed for the first half but then it just got sad.  In the comments on YouTube someone said they were fake crying, and I read it while the video loaded up, so maybe it primed me.

ex-minister
atheistHigh Level Moderator
ex-minister's picture
User is offlineOffline
yes...it is frustrating

I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out as well. As you can see in your post above the video is now visible.

You can see here what option needs to be set "old embed code" and nothing else. What is in light blue you right click and copy.

Then you take that and go to RRS. You need to click on SOURCE, which is below the SUBJECT and below the COMMENT labels.

In this picture you can see your attempt which is very brief. It uses IFRAME syntax, which doesn't work now in RRS. 

Under that you can see what I did and the code is more involved. It uses OBJECT syntax.

Now yet another frustrating thing is once you post the comment and look at your post you still don't see the video. You have to refresh the page and then you will see it.

As you can see this was done with Safari. YMMV.  Good Luck.

Religion Kills !!!

Numbers 31:17-18 - Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

http://jesus-needs-money.blogspot.com/

Philosophicus
Philosophicus's picture
User is offlineOffline
practice

Meditation music:

(testing to see if text appears here)