Introduction of a Longtime Lurker!

Creucent
Creucent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Introduction of a Longtime Lurker!

Hey everyone! I figured that after reading these forums daily for a few months, I should probably become a bit more active. I'm 18 and have been an atheist for probably around 6 years. I never really had a crisis of faith or some sudden moment of clarity where I decided that I didn't believe in any deities; for me, it was more of just a general realization that I had grown out of believing the stories I was hearing in church every week as true. I kind of looked around like "Really, mom? A magical man in the sky is judging me? Like, you're serious? Well, ok then..." And after a few years of fighting with my mother, I stopped going to church.

Now I live on the outskirts of Birmingham, Alabama. I don't know how many of you live in the Bible Belt, but the stories aren't exaggerated much. I'm pretty outspoken when religion comes up, so I've been getting in a lot of debates since I've lived here. You guys have really helped me learn a lot more about the history of Christianity, general philosophy, science, and how to debate some of the more fundamental xtians. When I got here, my stepsister insisted that she had personally talked to God (like, he talked back), that her prayers were especially effective, and that the "end times" were going to happen very soon (which, well, why not? Jesus has been "coming quickly" for the past 2,000 years...probably about time he showed up, eh?). Now she's an atheist. Her friends and family freaked out big time...everyone blamed me...but the way I see is that she had this religion pounded into her head for 15 years, and I came in and undid all of that work in about 4 months. Said religion must not have much of a case, hmm? Smiling

This introduction is a bit lengthier than it probably should be. If you skim it or just skip it altogether, I won't be offended. Laughing out loud Just wanted to thank you guys for educating me and giving me a place to feel accepted when everywhere around me my views are considered evil and dangerous. And if I should ever suddenly disappear from the forums, you might want to check the news for a story about pitchfork and torch wielding Southerners executing the wicked atheist in their town. :x Hahaha

See you guys around the forum!

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the discussions.

Welcome to the discussions.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Welcome aboard.  Kudos to

Welcome aboard.  Kudos to you for lurking a while before posting.  You should do well here. 

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums!

Welcome to the forums!

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I lived in Cullman for 2

I lived in Cullman for 2 years 10 months 12 days. Moved away from there in 2003.

I know your troubles. A lot of people don't understand how much time it takes to help undo what has been done to people.

War Eagle! or RollTide! ??? 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Mr. Atheist (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
darth_josh wrote: I lived

darth_josh wrote:

I lived in Cullman for 2 years 10 months 12 days. Moved away from there in 2003.

I know your troubles. A lot of people don't understand how much time it takes to help undo what has been done to people.

Without hours, minutes and seconds I just can't take you seriously. 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mr. Atheist

Mr. Atheist wrote:
darth_josh wrote:

Without hours, minutes and seconds I just can't take you seriously.

The only good thing that ever came out of being in Cullman was my youngest daughter. AND If it weren't for UAB NICU then I wouldn't have her.

We're talking about a place where a benedictine monk built a shrine to the virgin mary out of broken glass, litter, and cement(Ave Maria Grotto). He also reconstructed 'Jerusalem in miniature.

Did I mention: IT'S A DRY COUNTY! Now that doesn't mean that it rains very little. It means these people drive like 20 miles to Warrior AL to get booze. There are no bars.

The population breakdown of Cullman County on the 2000 census:

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/01/01043.html

97.2% white

You can't buy bread that pale.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome, always glad to see

Welcome, always glad to see another atheist come out of the closet.

Creucent
Creucent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thanks for all of the warm

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes!!

As for the great football debate, my house is pretty much split. My dad and stepmom go for Auburn, and my two stepsiblings go for Alabama. I try to stay out of it since either way I'm going to have 2 members of my family severely pissed at me one day out of the year. Laughing out loud

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   HI Creucent, lucky

HI Creucent, lucky you,  you make my Jesus proud ! May I call you 'young buddha creucent' !  All IS ONE Laughing Laughing 

, spread the "good (atheist) news" ..... far and wide ..... Wink  thanks .....