I got 0

I got 0 Smiling

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got a 5. Question # 5"Do

I got a 5.

Question # 5"Do you believe that a deeply comtemplative act such as prayer or meditation can result in knowledge or understanding not attainable through ordinary thought"

I meditate quite often to relax....My "ordinary" thoughts during a busy week can be scattered and unfocused...meditating brings my mind to a calmer state, one that I am able to reflect on my day to obtain understanding and learn from mistakes/actions etc. 

-Renee 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

RickRebel
RickRebel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:
I meditate quite often to relax...

I scored a zero.

But as far as meditation, sometimes I lie on my roof at night and look at the city skyline and up at the millions of stars and planets and gaze out into the galaxy and feel one with the universe. I'm not sure that would be considered meditation or not. All I know is it sure makes me feel good.

Still, I figure I'm a zero because that religious stuff is wacko.

Frosty's coming back someday. Will you be ready?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Anyone know if there's

Anyone know if there's somewhere you can take this that's an actual quiz and not a video?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Anyone know if there's

Anyone know if there's somewhere you can take this that's an actual quiz and not a video?

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Anyone know if there's

Intangent
Intangent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awesome triple post there!

Awesome triple post there! :P 

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
My score was 190, the

My score was 190, the majority of that score came from answering Yes to questions 4 and 6 on the basis that the question of there being an intelligent entity observing the universe and having the power to alter its course (Q4) applies to humans and our social constructs, and the question of the origin of thoughts and personal insights originating from an intelligent being involved in the creation of the universe (Q6) technically applies to humans also.

I'm told this makes me moderately deluded, that I believe in the possibility of personal relationships with the creator of the universe and life beyond death, that is fairly accurate, but it goes on to state fear of death as the cause which I don't accept, I'm rather curious than afraid in any sense.

I said no in answer to question 11, although I  actually plead agnostic in regard to evolution being the 'origin of diversity' I have no problem accepting that it is observably related to diversity but anything more presupposes a knowledge of the nature of time which we don't actually have, so I don't put stock in evolution as a causal origin. I just scraped out of the 8,000 points associated with answering yes to that question because I don't believe life was 'placed here less than 1,000,000 years ago' the wording there was detailed enough for it not to apply to my beliefs.  Still I think the result in conclusion of getting 8,000pt for questioning one salient point on the theory of evolution ie: 'you're not fit to teach children' is a little bit biased, though. My doubt of whether evolution is the origin of diversity are based on fact not delusion, it's not wrong to tell kids where the gaps are in our knowledge and what those gaps effect in our understanding IMO.

It's an interesting and entertaining test, but it makes a point of addressing specific theistic ideas very narrowly. I can't take it too literally.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
*Ralph Wiggum

*Ralph Wiggum Voice*

"Um, Ms.Hoover?"

"I scored a 0, but all of the "Batshit Crazy" Bulletpoints, apply to me"

- Wants Human Race Destroyed

- Threat to Civilization

- Unworthy of any Respect, Tolerance

>.> i think i found a flaw in the test

What Would Kharn Do?

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who the hell came up with

Who the hell came up with that scoring system?

Jamie Kitchen
User is offlineOffline
I never made it past the

I never made it past the first 2 questions because I ran to find a book I read in the past on cosmology that stated that it is theoretically possible to create baby universes that are shut off from ours in a 'lab' given the right energy levels applied at the right scales. It took me a while but I eventually found 3 that made similar references.

So from this I guess you could conclude that it is possible for a race with sufficieently advanced technology to acheive this and to do so purposefully.

Of course as Dawkins points out, this race of sentient beings would be products of evolution and we would call them aliens I would imagine.

As well, they ( alien creators) would be shut off from our universe and would not be able to influence it in any way.

Wasn't it Asimov that stated that any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguiable from magic to a less developed race society.

Jamie

Now where did I put my Yottabyte USB drive?? 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
195 - moderately deluded.

195 - moderately deluded.

That guy is hilarious, by the way. 

Intangent
Intangent's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, it wasn't really

Honestly, it wasn't really meant to be serious anyways. It was more for shits and giggles.

Teralek
Teralek's picture
User is offlineOffline
I got 690! The author is

I got 690! The author is biased and has a lot of prejudice towards believers... but it's a fun test nontheless.

On Q7 I answered yes because I believe that with our will and our force from wanting something can influence results and events. So the Q7 is not technically incorrect but one can pray to anything, it doesn't have to be a God. You just have to want it.

I must confess... I found this post because I'm reading Eloise... I think she is the most educated theist on this forum. 

Athene
Troll
Athene's picture
User is offlineOffline
40 points. I'm a normal

40 points. I'm a normal human being, yay!

MattShizzle wrote:

A written version can be found here: http://pathstoknowledge.net/2009/03/06/calculate-your-god-delusion-index/

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jamie Kitchen wrote:I never

Jamie Kitchen wrote:

I never made it past the first 2 questions because I ran to find a book I read in the past on cosmology that stated that it is theoretically possible to create baby universes that are shut off from ours in a 'lab' given the right energy levels applied at the right scales. It took me a while but I eventually found 3 that made similar references.

So from this I guess you could conclude that it is possible for a race with sufficieently advanced technology to acheive this and to do so purposefully.

Of course as Dawkins points out, this race of sentient beings would be products of evolution and we would call them aliens I would imagine.

As well, they ( alien creators) would be shut off from our universe and would not be able to influence it in any way.

Wasn't it Asimov that stated that any sufficiently advanced technology would be indistinguiable from magic to a less developed race society.

Jamie

Now where did I put my Yottabyte USB drive?? 

It was Arthur C Clarke, another famous Sci Fi author from around the same era. BTW, from the first book of his I read, back in high school, I was totally addicted to his writings. I think I have read virtually everything he wrote. That book was "The City and the Stars". Thinking about it still gives me a tingle down my spine...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Athene
Troll
Athene's picture
User is offlineOffline
PS: I think anyone who got

PS: I think anyone who got *less* than 40 points should check his answers as well; remember that several questions just ask for the existence of a possibility, and whether you actually can rule out that possibility or whether that would already be an unjustified belief.

atomicdogg34
atheist
atomicdogg34's picture
User is offlineOffline
the point system was

the point system was hilarious

"give yourself 100 million points" LMAO

btw, i scored negative 37

JesusNEVERexisted
Superfan
JesusNEVERexisted's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why didn't they just make

Why didn't they just make this an online quiz with option boxes? It would go a lot faster.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Believe it or not, I scored

Believe it or not, I scored mere 90 points. I find most of the questions at best too much simplistic and hard to agree with.

How far am I willing to go, to perceive the world in terms of supernatural, rather than the plainly evident? Not very far, if I consider certain supernatural phenomena as real, then I of course must have respect for common reality as well.

JesusNEVERexisted wrote:

Why didn't they just make this an online quiz with option boxes? It would go a lot faster.

Imagine this video played on Christian youth meeting! Online quiz wouldn't be so impressive.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Believe it or

Luminon wrote:

Believe it or not, I scored mere 90 points. I find most of the questions at best too much simplistic and hard to agree with.

After seeing that Athene only scored 40, I'm surprised that you scored that high.

I can't view the test (crap internet), but I would have thought you would have scored lower than Athene (given relative respect for reality/ certitude about things).

I'd be interested in seeing the questions/your answers, if you can copy them here in any way?

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:Luminon

Blake wrote:

Luminon wrote:

After seeing that Athene only scored 40, I'm surprised that you scored that high.

I can't view the test (crap internet), but I would have thought you would have scored lower than Athene (given relative respect for reality/ certitude about things).

I'd be interested in seeing the questions/your answers, if you can copy them here in any way?

1) Do you believe that there exists or may exist a higher consciousness or great intelligence that is somehow associated with the entirety of the universe?
Yes +5 points

2) Do you believe that a higher consciousness or intelligence may have been involved in the origin of the universe?
Yes +10 points

3) Do you believe that an intelligent being may have created the universe with intent, actually knew what it was doing and had a plan to carry out a creation?
Yes  +25 points

4) Do you believe that an intelligent being continues to watch over the universe and has the ability to alter the course of any set of events at will?
Well, if "watching over" means to be involved in all known and unknown processes of the universe, then yes... But what does the altering of course of events mean? Uhm, there are certain esoteric implications of the Logos concept so the possibility is maybe there, although it probably won't happen because of subsidiarity... Hell, I'll just say yes, FFS. +50 points.

5) Do you believe that a deeply contemplative act, such as prayer or meditation can result in knowledge or understanding not attainable through ordinary thought?
Well, it may happen, but only very rarely, because meditation or prayer is not the direct cause behind it. It is rather about setting up the alignment if done correctly, not channeling the information. So I'll say no, it's just 5 points...

6) Do you believe that personal insights from prayer or a similarly contemplative act originate from an intelligent being that also created the universe?
Hell, no way, no chance of that! Although the mediums' messages often claim that and the fools believe them. Haven't they ever heard of subsidiarity?

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Blake
atheistScience Freak
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:4) Do you

Luminon wrote:

4) Do you believe that an intelligent being continues to watch over the universe and has the ability to alter the course of any set of events at will?

[...]But what does the altering of course of events mean? Uhm, there are certain esoteric implications of the Logos concept so the possibility is maybe there, although it probably won't happen because of subsidiarity... Hell, I'll just say yes, FFS. +50 points.

This one doesn't say "may" though.  Your answer says "maybe", but the question is one of positive belief.  Seems like this one should be no, due to the difference in believing it (as the question asks) and believing that it might be possible but is improbable?

Luminon wrote:

Well, if "watching over" means to be involved in all known and unknown processes of the universe, then yes...

I don't think that's what it means, it seems to be saying consciousness of all known and unknown processes of the universe.  Although you may believe that many high level esoteric practitioners can achieve this in some sense?  Doesn't say which intelligent being, after all.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Zippo for me.

positing any god things, higher intelligences and all the rest of the stuff that's meant to be guiding the universe is all rank assertion. P'raps there should be an I'm-buggered-if-I-know option.

I'm not sure how anyone can say they think there's any power in charge when they've never seen it, met it, felt it, except in their own imaginations. That fundamental really covers it for me.  The god people are just making stuff up.

As for abiogenesis and universal ignition and whatnot, well. Not knowing how this stuff happened while accepting that everything else we know is naturally driven increases the probability these other hard things have natural causes.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Blake wrote:This one doesn't

Blake wrote:

This one doesn't say "may" though.  Your answer says "maybe", but the question is one of positive belief.  Seems like this one should be no, due to the difference in believing it (as the question asks) and believing that it might be possible but is improbable?

I'm talking about planetary level. We people aren't those in charge, but we're a part of hierarchy. I believe that if humanity would attempt to blow up the planet, it would not be permitted. Our free will stops there, period.
Esoteric textbooks say it clearly, our forms are like dreams in the mind of our local Logos, and this guy theoretically can clear his mind, although I doubt that ever happened or will happen. But you have to understand, that esoteric textbooks are full of such technical details and implications, that one can not prove in a lifetime. They're there for the sake of completeness, internal consistency and training the student's mind. It's not like I'd really insist on that.

Blake wrote:

I don't think that's what it means, it seems to be saying consciousness of all known and unknown processes of the universe.  Although you may believe that many high level esoteric practitioners can achieve this in some sense?  Doesn't say which intelligent being, after all.

Esoteric teaching is strongly hierarchically oriented, like in a company. There are beings who would feel talking to us like we'd talk to an iron plough. This is why there's hierarchy and we most of time are entitled to our respective hierarchical authorities. Awareness is good, as long as it is followed by self-control and work. High level esoteric practitioners (in local standards) are literal masters over themselves and work like crazy. Average people aren't even masters of their emotions and minds, and they hardly do any work for the world.

The theory says, that energy as such is the consciousness behind everything. There are many levels of energy (and matter). The physical form of energy that we know is very rudimentary "consciousness" indeed, but finer energies work as carriers of emotion, thought, cultural or natural tendencies and other factors beyond our needs.  God could be understood as a sum of all this energy and laws governing it. You have to realize what are these governing laws. There are seven of them, and on physical level they're known as strong nuclear force, gravity, weak nuclear force, electromagnetism and so on. The trick is, that on all energetic levels these very forces interact in every way possible and create all that exists, material or not.

Universe could be imagined as seven natural forces, three basic (or two derived from one) and four derived from the third one. They have colors, they make the colors and everything else, because they represent a frequency, that is the language of the universe. You wouldn't believe in how many books esoteric teaching elaborates on this subject. It thoroughly describes which natural force is derived from which, what are their colors, what realms of nature they govern in what combinations, in which historical periods they come in and out of manifestation on Earth, what effect on cultures it has, and in what combinations they influence human psychology. (yes, I read the esoteric psychology) The purpose is to manifest these forces perfectly, because if we do that imperfectly, there comes trouble, at least seven basic ways in which things can go wrong. Or rather 12, as 3x4 and so on.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just one point that hit me,

Just one point that hit me, Luminon.

Nothing really "makes colors" in the way you seem to be saying. Color is a sensory perception in response to different relative amounts of light received in different wavelength ranges within the visible range.

It can vary among individuals within a given species, sometimes dramatically, in the case of various forms of color-blindness. It also varies dramatically among species.

The color response to any specific mix of wavelengths will vary quite significantly even in one individual, since our processing of visual input continually adapts to intensity and overall color balance of what reaches our eyes - we are not normally aware of the very different absolute color of a scene when lit by sunlight, fluorescent lamps, or incandescent bulbs. 'Objective' color will be as recorded by photography, and measurable by color metersIt really is not a good parameter to base any objective theory of reality not directly connected with a study of visual perception and responses of living organisms to their environment.

"Color" is NOT a primary property of objects.

Objects reflect or radiate a particular distribution of intensity vs wavelength of electromagnetic radiation under particular conditions. Various individual organisms sensitive to that radiation will have different perceptions of the appearance of such objects depending on that distribution, some of which may correspond to what we perceive as different colors.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Just one

BobSpence1 wrote:

Just one point that hit me, Luminon.

Nothing really "makes colors" in the way you seem to be saying. Color is a sensory perception in response to different relative amounts of light received in different wavelength ranges within the visible range.

It can vary among individuals within a given species, sometimes dramatically, in the case of various forms of color-blindness. It also varies dramatically among species.

The color response to any specific mix of wavelengths will vary quite significantly even in one individual, since our processing of visual input continually adapts to intensity and overall color balance of what reaches our eyes - we are not normally aware of the very different absolute color of a scene when lit by sunlight, fluorescent lamps, or incandescent bulbs. 'Objective' color will be as recorded by photography, and measurable by color metersIt really is not a good parameter to base any objective theory of reality not directly connected with a study of visual perception and responses of living organisms to their environment.

"Color" is NOT a primary property of objects.

Objects reflect or radiate a particular distribution of intensity vs wavelength of electromagnetic radiation under particular conditions. Various individual organisms sensitive to that radiation will have different perceptions of the appearance of such objects depending on that distribution, some of which may correspond to what we perceive as different colors.

Yes Bob, I know that... What I meant is that vibrations and therefore their frequencies and wavelengths can be considered as natural property of things, the cosmic language itself. The ability of an object to reflect a color has to do with its atomic and molecular structure. Under ideal conditions of full white spectrum, of course. I wonder if there is a hidden relationship between atomic structure and a corresponding vibration, as between a lock and key, or a mold and molded product.

Esoteric theory says that really awesome things will happen if a right object will be exposed to right stream of pure colored light or correct sound frequency or sound sequence, that scientifically correspond to the object's atomic or molecular structure. Things will either organize (heal) or break down rapidly and maybe levitate. That is the prophesized basis of some future sciences.

It is a common thing in esoteric books to teach people about vibrations, tones and regular octaves of something that is not hearable - by colors. In this way, it is pretty obvious why the old chakra drawings have the lowest chakra red, and the highest chakra violet, that's because 1st chakra has the slowest vibration and the 7th chakra 27 as fast, or something like that. And why is the 1st ray red, although.... Holy Shit, I just had an epiphany. Holy shit. That's some cool stuff combined together from my earlier study snapped together with my earlier visions and arranged itself as this really nice geometric pattern that I kept trying to draw intuitively for long time. Niiice. I can explain later if someone asks.

So, what do you mean? Yes, it is possible that some people see the same color differently - until the police takes away their driving license. But colors objectively exist as a wavelengths and a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. We have the Roy G. Biv's method to name and sort the colors, but anybody with their eyes right recognize uniqueness of each color.

But it is true that my author describes another set of colors. The same phenomenon viewed in a different way has an entirely different color, I mean, green appears as black, et cetera. I do not yet understand the system in this, this is clearly not sorted according to wavelength. But really, with today's epiphany that's still a day well spent.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
In a scientific/technical

In a scientific/technical context, we have estimated, by testing a large sample of people with 'normal' vision (ie no indication of any of the identified color deficits or 'color-blindness' ), the typical sensitivity at each wavelength within the visible spectrum of each of the three types of receptor in the human eye which each respond differently to different wavelengths. The different relative outputs from each region on the retinal image are what determine the particular perceived color from that part of the image.

Wavelength is still traditionally used in this field rather than frequency, but that is just a holdover from earlier times when wavelength was the basic way of identifying different spectral colors, since that is what could be measured directly.

Colors are labels attached to a specific 'tri-stimulus' value, a set of three numbers, X,Y and Z un the most long-established system, representing the output of a standardized eye corresponding to something like the average of those original tests. They don't quite correspond to red, green, and blue primaries, but a set of primary color sources can be selected which will each mainly stimulate one class of receptor, and so produce a reasonably predictable color sensation.

This is used all the time in printing color images, to get the best subjective match between the final output and, typically, the image on some computer screen that has been visually adjusted for a desired effect. 

Each perceived color, even for a standard eye, can be generated by an infinite number of different energy vs. wavelength mixes, so there is no one unique spectral distribution that corresponds to a standard Red, for example.

If you have light of just one frequency, that can be mapped to a standard color, but only a small sub-set of perceivable colors can be mapped to a single frequency or wavelength of light.

Hope this clarifies things. Color is not a precise property of any object or light source, the definition of color incorporates the properties of some 'standardized' human retina.

Spectral response is the physical parameter, reflectivity vs frequency, for passive objects, intensity vs frequency for light sources.

I have worked in this area, and I still have a couple of 'spectro-phometers' designed for measuring the intensity/frequency characteristic of various objects, inks, and light sources.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:In a

BobSpence1 wrote:

In a scientific/technical context, we have estimated, by testing a large sample of people with 'normal' vision (ie no indication of any of the identified color deficits or 'color-blindness' ), the typical sensitivity at each wavelength within the visible spectrum of each of the three types of receptor in the human eye which each respond differently to different wavelengths. The different relative outputs from each region on the retinal image are what determine the particular perceived color from that part of the image.

Wavelength is still traditionally used in this field rather than frequency, but that is just a holdover from earlier times when wavelength was the basic way of identifying different spectral colors, since that is what could be measured directly.

Colors are labels attached to a specific 'tri-stimulus' value, a set of three numbers, X,Y and Z un the most long-established system, representing the output of a standardized eye corresponding to something like the average of those original tests. They don't quite correspond to red, green, and blue primaries, but a set of primary color sources can be selected which will each mainly stimulate one class of receptor, and so produce a reasonably predictable color sensation.

This is used all the time in printing color images, to get the best subjective match between the final output and, typically, the image on some computer screen that has been visually adjusted for a desired effect. 

Each perceived color, even for a standard eye, can be generated by an infinite number of different energy vs. wavelength mixes, so there is no one unique spectral distribution that corresponds to a standard Red, for example.

If you have light of just one frequency, that can be mapped to a standard color, but only a small sub-set of perceivable colors can be mapped to a single frequency or wavelength of light.

Hope this clarifies things. Color is not a precise property of any object or light source, the definition of color incorporates the properties of some 'standardized' human retina.

Spectral response is the physical parameter, reflectivity vs frequency, for passive objects, intensity vs frequency for light sources.

I have worked in this area, and I still have a couple of 'spectro-phometers' designed for measuring the intensity/frequency characteristic of various objects, inks, and light sources.

Thanks for clarifying that... that this gets very mind-boggling. I thing you should read the esoteric chapters, not me Smiling Sorry, it's very diffcult for a layman like me to define these arguments properly, I'm still in such a phase of philosophy and got a long way to technical details. I'd only say that my sources point towards the importance of the effects of specially modulated sound  and polarized or monochromatic light on living or dead materials. For example, long time ago we discussed dr. Raymond Rife and his discovery of specifically colourfully luminescent microorganisms under polarized light. Then there are inconsistent rumors of Hulda Clark and her research of electric impulses. And of course, we know the principle that a singer's voice can break crystal glass and steady march of soldiers can dangerously shake a bridge. There are many such bits of information, but not enough research.

It may be much more complicated. But for now I guess it may be a question of resonance, that almost every system, whether it is a molecule or a building has one or more resonance frequencies and when this frequency is applied to it through a suitable medium in sufficient intensity, then shit starts happening. Such is the philosophic idea for now. I hope I can inspire an expert someday to make something technical out of such ideas. (instead of throwing reasons at me why that's incorrect or impossible, right Bob? Smiling ) If not, I'll have something to do in retirement.