Superbowl? Really?

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Superbowl? Really?

So, I decided out of interest to watch it last night. Apparantly this shit is the major televisual event of the year for you lot!

The sport was fucking boring, so boring that it kept cutting back to the studio every few seconds. Yeah, ok, there's a few tackles flying in here and there, and a bit of throwing (which makes you wonder why you lot call it "foot"ball). Then at half-time you have a mediocre over patriotic pub band. And after that I went to bed. I'd rather watch a regular lower league mid-season football (and by that I mean real football!!) match between really shit teams.

I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED!

magilum
User is offlineOffline
If only we were

If only we were sophisticated enough to appreciate pale, phallic sausages accompanied by a supposed beverage of beef bouillon or warm beer, while watching preening dudes in shorts toe a ball across a grassy field. Then we could pour out into the streets, and set the cars ablaze, driven to mania by the suspenseful one point victory.

Damn it, Jacob -- deju fucking vu -- you've dragged me into this "white people drive like this, black people drive like this" shit again by besmirching a country I was arbitrarily born in, that likes a game I couldn't give a fuck about.

Anyway, here's where an Aussie calls us pussies for not watching Rugby.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was boring for 3 and a

It was boring for 3 and a half quarters, even as a NFL fan, I have to admit that. It was probibly more exciting for the Giants and Patriot fans.

Soccer fans and NFL fans gennerally speaking dont get the other's sport. It is merely a taste thing.

I personally find it boring to watch a ball (soccer) get kicked around for 45 mins(whatever a half is) with no scoring and games that end 1-0 or 2-1. That to me is boring. Again, it is merely a matter of taste.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote:

magilum wrote:

Snap Eye-wink

This is an exciting game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1d4qd7SjEI&feature=related

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: magilum

Eloise wrote:
magilum wrote:

Snap Eye-wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1d4qd7SjEI&feature=related

I could watch that. I'm surprised rugby isn't more popular in the U.S. It looks rough and tumble enough for "manly men" without all the formality of football.  

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote: I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED!

I know. Let's all put feathers on nails and throw them at a board.

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, the game was boring

Yeah, the game was boring for 3 quarters.  The thing I hate about the Super Bowl is all the side-show crap and the rock concert halftime shows with the "fans" who are obviously paid to look enthusiastic.  The corporate sponsorship of every frickin minuscule event during the  game is also irritating as hell.

However, I'll take 3 quarters of boring American football over soccer any day.  There's a funny episode of "The Simpsons" that illustrates the attitude most Americans have regarding professional soccer.  Oddly enough though, soccer(yeah, I know Jacob, "Football&quotEye-wink is a very popular participant sport over here for kids.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I have seen that episode of

I have seen that episode of the Simpsons. I honestly don't get it though! Footie is exciting, fast paced, skillful and rewards agility, teamwork, tactics and pace. With the scoring, it's obviously not as frequent as in most sports, but it makes it all the more special when one goes in. It also looks lower because goals are always worth 1. I didn't see much scoring last night I must admit, seems like the scores are only high because you get more points for touch downs and whatever you call a goal kicked between the posts.

I dunno, it just stops and starts so often, there's no flow and as soon as someone breaks free and you think there might be some excitement at long last he gets a few yards and stops again. I can't think of a more boring sport to watch in the world. I'd rather go and watch old people playing bowls in the park for fucksake!

And keep it away from Wembley! Can't have the English football team playing on a muddy field!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I know. Let's all

Quote:
I know. Let's all put feathers on nails and throw them at a board.

Don't mess with darts, dude.  It is one of the few activities that passes my test for actual sport-hood.  That is:

1) It can be played in a bar.  (Pub for you Queen-Kissers)

2) It requires only one hand to play (Leaving the other for holding beer)

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can't believe you called

I can't believe you called Tom Petty and the Hearbreakers a pub band.  They always end up doing those stupid medleys anyway (I missed the half-time show).

I don't particularly care for football but I find it more interesting than soccer.  The onlly reason I watched the super bowl was because I went to high school with one of the players.

Speaking of patriotic, what was with the constitution crap right before the game?  I noticed faux news had it's grip on the show.  I thought it was rather ironic that at the end of the constitution bit they show the constitution and are playing 'Taps'.  What a subtle laying to rest of our rights.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I thought it was

Quote:
I thought it was rather ironic that at the end of the constitution bit they show the constitution and are playing 'Taps'.  What a subtle laying to rest of our rights.

Well, shit.  I'd already had about three shots by then.  My irony detector was malfunctioning.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
I thought it was rather ironic that at the end of the constitution bit they show the constitution and are playing 'Taps'.  What a subtle laying to rest of our rights.

Well, shit.  I'd already had about three shots by then.  My irony detector was malfunctioning.

The only thing that was missing was a banner that said 'In Loving Memory' or something like that.   

If god takes life he's an indian giver

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I find soccer incredibly

I find soccer incredibly boring. Like most Americans, I wouldn't go to my window to watch if the world cup was being played on my lawn.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I visited England back in

I visited England back in '95.  I tried watching some of the local TV shows and I honestly thought it was a joke.

I was thinking, "This can't be their real shows can it?"  Argh.  Looked amateurish and very boring.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't know how anyone

I don't know how anyone could call last night's game boring.  Sure, it was low scoring, but I find defensive battles to be far more engrossing than barn-burners (which is what everyone expected given what happened during week 17).  Seeing the Giants figure out a way to limit the Patriots to 2 touchdowns and keep Brady on the ground for 4 quarters was far more entertaining than seeing him hook up with Moss for 150 yards and 3 touchdowns yet again.  I'm a big fan of defensive football though, so of course I'm biased.  I'm also a fan of the underdog (unless the Steelers are playing and they're the favorite).  Either way, it was the best Super Bowl I've ever seen.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers are not a "pub band", by the way.  They're one of America's last great arena rock bands.   

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
I thought it was a great

I thought it was a great defensive battle, too. Brady didn't know what hit him. The downside of having great protection all year is you don't get any practice at playing under pressure.

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I'm proud to say that I

I'm proud to say that I haven't watched a league sporting event of any kind---on television or in person---in at least 5 years.

Aah.

Unless ping pong counts as a sport. I've done that. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm surprised you found the

I'm surprised you found the game boring, Jacob. It was low-scoring, much like your beloved football generally is! Smiling

I though the game was great. Typically Superbowl matchups tend to be a blowout. This game though was a great display of defensive prowess on both sides for 3+ quarters. But the Giant's final scoring drive with less than 3 minutes left was fun to watch.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah... will someone

Yeah... will someone explain to me why a bunch of guys kicking a ball back and forth over the middle line is more interesting than watching a series of individual plays, each with its own unique formation, design, and execution?

I recognize that there is some strategy in soccer, though I'll be damned if I can see it with my naked eye.  In American football, you get to try to predict the next play.  You see when they make substitutions, and you know the blitz is coming, or you notice that the tight end has shifted sides, and you expect a screen pass.

In soccer, you can look away for ten minutes and look back, and they're still just running around kicking each other in the shins.

Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: In

Hambydammit wrote:

In soccer, you can look away for ten minutes and look back, and they're still just running around kicking each other in the shins.

NO! HAMBY... dont look away man! you might miss one of the players, fake an injury and roll on the ground, moaning for 3 minutes, until the ref gives a brightly colored birthday card to another player...

... ya...

Im sorry, but if the sport doesnt involve instruments of pain, what fun is it to watch?

What Would Kharn Do?

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   OUR USA TV SUCKS REAL

OUR USA TV SUCKS REAL BAD, so fucking narrow, so prudish , so so so so dumb

, but I like foot ball , prefer female mud wrestling tho 

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

NO! HAMBY... dont look away man! you might miss one of the players, fake an injury and roll on the ground, moaning for 3 minutes, until the ref gives a brightly colored birthday card to another player...

Hilarious.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote:   I'm

Archeopteryx wrote:

I'm proud to say that I haven't watched a league sporting event of any kind---on television or in person---in at least 5 years.

So you don't follow politics? 

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I dunno. In American

I dunno. In American Football, it just stop-starts continually, there's no flow to it. Each play just looks like a load of guys beating the shit out of each other while one team tries to move a couple of yards forward. There's no excitement, very few attempts on goal. I can see the strategy sure, but mostly it's just brute force. I like chess more if I'm honest, but I wouldn't watch a professional chess match on telly.

Our football on the other hand is quick, and relies on skill and agility. To be honest I don't really enjoy any American sports, apart from Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey is cool, probably because its like violent footie on ice with sticks.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I dunno. In American Football, it just stop-starts continually, there's no flow to it. Each play just looks like a load of guys beating the shit out of each other while one team tries to move a couple of yards forward. There's no excitement, very few attempts on goal. I can see the strategy sure, but mostly it's just brute force. I like chess more if I'm honest, but I wouldn't watch a professional chess match on telly.

Our football on the other hand is quick, and relies on skill and agility. To be honest I don't really enjoy any American sports, apart from Ice Hockey. Ice Hockey is cool, probably because its like violent footie on ice with sticks.

You might be right. Americans like myself don't usually get to see those games, though. We usually get the long-ball games where it just looks like the keepers are trying to see how far they can kick it.

Although I do appreciate their stamina in the better matches I've seen - it looks like they're always going flat-out. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote:

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I dunno. In American Football, it just stop-starts continually, there's no flow to it.

Not so. There is flow, and it includes the time in between each burst of action. One of the ways the Giants beat the Patriots on Sunday is that they controlled the flow of the game. This limited the Patriots opportunities to score point. Each play has flow. But it takes some knowledge of the game to see it. A screen pass is a great example of a play with flow. Footie looks very disorganized to somebody that doesn't understand it. It's a bunch of guys running around kicking a ball. But when you know the game better, a centering kick from a corner across the goal for a chance at a head shot can be a thing of beauty.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: a

wavefreak wrote:
a centering kick from a corner across the goal for a chance at a head shot can be a thing of beauty.

Hehe. I love the phrasing here.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

So, I decided out of interest to watch it last night. Apparently this shit is the major televisual event of the year for you lot!

The sport was fucking boring, so boring that it kept cutting back to the studio every few seconds. Yeah, ok, there's a few tackles flying in here and there, and a bit of throwing (which makes you wonder why you lot call it "foot"ball). Then at half-time you have a mediocre over patriotic pub band. And after that I went to bed. I'd rather watch a regular lower league mid-season football (and by that I mean real football!!) match between really shit teams.

I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED!

Let me guess. You watched it alone?

I like sports, pretty much all of them, but I don't watch them alone. This Super Bowl I was at a party with ten or twelve of my friends and we sat around and talked and played cards while the game was on.

Besides, the last two minutes of any sport is always the best especially when it is a close game.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: magilum

Eloise wrote:
magilum wrote:

Snap Eye-wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1d4qd7SjEI&feature=related[/quote]

Any one can post highlights of a sport. Rugby or Australian Football can also be really boring, but at least no other sport can be as boring as Cricket.

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I quite enjoy watching

I quite enjoy watching sport alone. Its obviously more fun with a few mates. But if it's an interesting sport and a good game, I'll watch it whatever, especially if my team/ player is involved.

I dunno if you guys support Yankball teams in the same way we support Football teams.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jacob Cordingley wrote: I

Jacob Cordingley wrote:

I quite enjoy watching sport alone. Its obviously more fun with a few mates. But if it's an interesting sport and a good game, I'll watch it whatever, especially if my team/ player is involved.

I dunno if you guys support Yankball teams in the same way we support Football teams.

Well they had police with dogs deployed in Boston in case the Patriots won. Does that mean anything? 

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
It’s my opinion that if a

It’s my opinion that if a sport is any good other countries will take it up. That’s why great sports like soccer, boxing and athletics are played globally. Silly sports like American football, Gaelic football and baseball are only played seriously by a few counties. If it sucks it won’t travel!

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
User is offlineOffline
Badbark wrote: It’s my

Badbark wrote:

It’s my opinion that if a sport is any good other countries will take it up. That’s why great sports like soccer, boxing and athletics are played globally. Silly sports like American football, Gaelic football and baseball are only played seriously by a few counties. If it sucks it won’t travel!

I disagree. Most sports, like Soccer (Futbol) are popular because it doesn't take much to have a game. You need a ball, which is often not an actual soccer ball in countries were people are poor, and then two sets of goal posts (usually buckets, trees, sticks or some thing cheap and available.

American sports like Baseball is fairly easy to play, but equipment can be a problem for poor people and the size of the field. It is certainly more difficult to play baseball than soccer in a city where the population density is five or ten times greater than a city like NY.

American football is extremely difficult to play because equipment is rare, though, when I was in China and Peru, I saw kids playing touch football.

So basically it isn't a matter of "suckage" it's a matter of equipment and/or money.

Badbark
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum

digitalbeachbum wrote:
Badbark wrote:

I disagree. Most sports, like Soccer (Futbol) are popular because it doesn't take much to have a game. You need a ball, which is often not an actual soccer ball in countries were people are poor, and then two sets of goal posts (usually buckets, trees, sticks or some thing cheap and available. American sports like Baseball is fairly easy to play, but equipment can be a problem for poor people and the size of the field. It is certainly more difficult to play baseball than soccer in a city where the population density is five or ten times greater than a city like NY. American football is extremely difficult to play because equipment is rare, though, when I was in China and Peru, I saw kids playing touch football. So basically it isn't a matter of "suckage" it's a matter of equipment and/or money.

I thought a less violent version of American football could be played on the streets or in fields? You certainly can with Rugby and other physical games.

I understand Americans loving their football but you have to face the facts that the rest of the world dislikes it. No one else wants to play it. It’s not because of money or equipment – for most people the sport is boring.

I do stand corrected on baseball. I didn’t realise so many other countries played it.

Here is an interesting site - http://www.johann-sandra.com/popular.htm

I honestly can’t see a correlation between the sports on this list and how easy they are to play due to equipment and/or money.

I actually see a parallel between American football and religion! You will only really like it (or agree with it) if you have been brainwashed from an early age.Tongue out

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I don't necessarily equate

I don't necessarily equate popularity of a sport with how good it is. Obviously Football is more popular than Gridiron and for good reason - because Gridiron is shit. But I quite like some more minor sports like Shinty, Elephant Polo etc.

As for baseball, although I can see some appeal to it, I much prefer cricket and I'd much rather play cricket, but I guess that's an English and Commonwealth sport in the same way that Gridiron is to America.