Lori Lipman Brown in Richmond VA

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lori Lipman Brown in Richmond VA

A Place at the Table—How the Nation’s First Congressional Lobbyist for Nontheists is Enjoying the Feast

A Talk Followed by Q&A

Time and Place: Tuckahoe Area Library, Main Meeting Room , 1901 Starling Drive, Richmond, Virginia 23229. (Directions.) The Main Meeting Room is immediately to your right as you enter the front doors of the library. The meeting is scheduled to start at 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 2, 2008.

Lori Lipman Brown, Director of the Secular Coalition for America became the first Congressional lobbyist explicitly representing nontheistic Americans and their allies in September of 2005. She will describe how she is being received on Capitol Hill (the news is good!), and talk about current church/state issues and what we can do to help protect our secular government.

Ms. Brown is a lawyer, an educator, and a former Nevada State Senator. She currently serves as Director of the Secular Coalition for America lobbying Congress on behalf of nontheistic Americans and increasing the visibility and respectability of nontheistic viewpoints. Ms. Brown's awards include Civil Libertarian of the Year from the Southern Nevada Chapter of the ACLU, Legislator of the Year from the Nevada Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, Friend of the Center Award from the Southern Nevada Gay and Lesbian Community Center, and the Mark DeWolfe Award from Interweave Continental.

From the Secular Coalition for America’s website:
The Secular Coalition for America is the national lobby for atheists, humanists, freethinkers and other nontheistic Americans. From our office in the nation's capital, our full-time lobbyist and support staff engage public policy makers and the media to increase the visibility and respectability of nontheistic viewpoints and to protect and strengthen the secular character of our government as the best guarantee of freedom for all.

This special meeting of Richmond Area Free Thinkers (RAFT) is open to all.

Attendance is free. You will have an opportunity to make a donation to cover Ms. Brown’s expenses for this event, and to support the nontheist voice in Washington, if you wish.

Tuckahoe Area Library’s Main Meeting Room has a capacity of 100. This event is being advertised primarily through e-mail networking within and between relevant special interest groups in the region. We invite you to attend, and please pass this announcement on to others who may be interested in Secular Coalition for America’s important work.

**I will be there. After it's over, I'll hang around outside the front door of the library if anyone can make it and wants to say hi**

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey!  Do I know you?

Hey!  Do I know you? ::waves:: I thought I knew all the VA users.

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think we know each

I don't think we know each other. ::wave back::

I sort of come and go these days.

I met up with another rational responders guy once, whose screen name I forget at the moment. We met at UVA when Dawkins came to town. He posted here audio excerpts from Dawkins's Virginia visits.

Are you familiar with RAFT (Richmond Area Free Thinkers) or RRNA (Richmond Reason and Naturalism Association) or WASH (Washington Area Secular Humanists)?

I'm in Richmond, but I mention WASH because RAFT is associated with WASH.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
kmisho wrote: I met up

kmisho wrote:

I met up with another rational responders guy once, whose screen name I forget at the moment. We met at UVA when Dawkins came to town. He posted here audio excerpts from Dawkins's Virginia visits.

LeftofLarry? 

kmisho wrote:

Are you familiar with RAFT (Richmond Area Free Thinkers) or RRNA (Richmond Reason and Naturalism Association) or WASH (Washington Area Secular Humanists)?

Yes, yes, and yes.

I realized after I replied yesterday that you're in the RRNA yahoo group.  I've been to RRNA events in the past 3-4 months... perhaps we've crossed paths.   That's my real picture in the avatar and I use a wheelchair - ring any bells?

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote:kmisho

shelleymtjoy wrote:
kmisho wrote:

I met up with another rational responders guy once, whose screen name I forget at the moment. We met at UVA when Dawkins came to town. He posted here audio excerpts from Dawkins's Virginia visits.

LeftofLarry? 

kmisho wrote:

Yes, yes, and yes.

I realized after I replied yesterday that you're in the RRNA yahoo group.  I've been to RRNA events in the past 3-4 months... perhaps we've crossed paths.   That's my real picture in the avatar and I use a wheelchair - ring any bells?

We probably haven't crossed paths unless you were at the early January 2008 meeting. I used to be a regular at RRNA but had little time for it when my girl was born, now 2 years ago. I was at the meeting at the start of January but that's the only one in a bout a year. Can't miss Lori...

leftoflarry and I have never met, but I knew he was a Richmonder.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I actually missed that

I actually missed that meeting because of an unfortunate medical emergency... I had inteded to help provide some content that night but I heard it went well.

It will be great to meet you and others Saturday as well as meet Lori! 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

vaLoriLipmanBrown

Dragonfire5287
Superfan
Dragonfire5287's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look at that stud on the

Look at that stud on the right Sticking out tongue

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Dragonfire5287 wrote: Look

Dragonfire5287 wrote:
Look at that stud on the right :-P

You mean that guy to the right of me?  Yeah, Medieval Guy is quite the stud but wow Roy?!  You know his girlfriend could be reading this.Eye-wink

kmisho
kmisho's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was there, but I didn't

I was there, but I didn't get a chance to say hi. I had to leave before the darn talk was over. I was completley obvious, though, as I (and my wife) were the only ones there with a child.

RRNA is badly under-represented in the audience. I'm a little embarrassed by that.