You want a war?

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
You want a war?

Then a war you shall have!!

Pope revives science-versus-religion debate

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22880073/

I'm getting really tired of this asshat pope.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci

Tarpan
Special Agent
User is offlineOffline
Ugh... Just...ugh...  You

Ugh...

Just...ugh...

You know? Ugh.

lieutenant24
lieutenant24's picture
User is offlineOffline
At least he's laying his

At least he's laying his cards on the table. He's forcing people to chose between science and religion. No hiding in grey areas on this one.

COME TO THE DARK SIDE -- WE HAVE COOKIES

Larty
Larty's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Man is not the fruit of

"Man is not the fruit of chance or a bundle of convergences, determinisms or physical and chemical reactions,"

-Pope in that article. 

What? Man is NOT a product of determinism, but indeterminism? Says a religious person who strongly believes in God? Is this the ultimate contradiction?

Maybe I should make a thread about this, but can science and religion go together? Are they really opposites?

Trust and believe in no god, but trust and believe in yourself.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
This pope sucks syphillitic

This pope sucks syphillitic moose balls.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
I know im not usually the

I know im not usually the emotional one here... but i feel it needs to be said.

I LOVE THIS POPE ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
A totally fundie pope would

A totally fundie pope would be wonderfull, he would drive more people to abandon their faith. Smiling

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I LOVE this

I LOVE this part:

Quote:
The Vatican said the protesters misunderstood that speech, made some 17 years ago when he was Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger.

Ahh old error made by man: MISINTERPRETATION.

You misunderstand this, you misunderstand that and only WE have license to interpret that properly. Did I discover new definition of religion or what ?

Ecrasez l'infame!

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Blind Chance wrote: You

Blind Chance wrote:

You misunderstand this, you misunderstand that and only WE have license to interpret that properly. Did I discover new definition of religion or what ?

My $0.02:  Yes.  You did.

After seeing this, I'm actually wondering whether Benedict might not be suffering from senility.  Back when he was the head of the CDF, he wrote some halfway nasty things about gays and lesbians.  He got away with it because Church doctrine really did teach that gay sex is wrong.  Then he becomes Pope, and he pisses of Muslims worldwide.  He got away with it again, because Islam has a very recent history of acting so much worse.  Then he issues an out-of-the-clear-blue-sky denunciation of atheists, commented on by Kelly on this very website.  That was a bit of a WTF moment, but I suppose nobody could expect a religion to be supportive of atheism.  Then there was his remark a couple of days ago about the Native Americans allegedly "longing" for Christianity to come to them, conveniently ignoring the fact that when Christianity came to the Americas, it came with atrocities in hand.  I've read some of Benedict's theology; he should easily have been *much* smarter than that.  (As an aside: has anyone heard of an apology coming from the Vatican for this remark?  I could easily envision Latin America as a whole just chucking the Catholic Church.  I'm wondering, in fact, if *anybody* down there will be at Mass this Sunday.)

Now this.  In spite of having lived through the reigns of three Popes, two of whom (Paul VI and John Paul I,) didn't have anything critical of evolution to say that I know of, and one of whom (John Paul II,) seemed to accept it.  (Admittedly, John Paul I wasn't Pope very long; but I have no reason to believe that he would have criticized it, had his reign been longer.)

Is the old guy just losing it?

Conor

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me

netopia
netopia's picture
User is offlineOffline
You want a war?

War on Drugs. War on Terror. War on Poverty.

I'm waiting for the War on Wars.

http://www.raidchan.org/
http://partyvan.info.nyud.net/index.php/Main_Page
http://chanology.freehostia.com/index.php

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
netopia wrote: War on

netopia wrote:
War on Drugs. War on Terror. War on Poverty.

I'm waiting for the War on Wars.

Isnt that what we call a pre-emptive war? ^_^

You know, war now on our terms, not later on theirs >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Howdy, i deleted 4 of nets

Howdy, i deleted 4 of nets posts that were all exactly the same, just FYI.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's one evil looking pope

That's one evil looking pope if you ask me.  He's not trying to educate anyone, he's trying to de-educate everyone.  Welcome to the New Dark Ages.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Girl Dancing In...
Girl Dancing In Orbit's picture
User is offlineOffline
    What a Pope !

What a Pope ! Directly out of Einstein's country, what do we get... This good and of course Divine Ben !

You can really learn a lot FROM Ben...

You guys should check OUT this site THAT you have never seen before and THAT will change your life

Like, IN www.answereingenesis.com I FOUND out that I wasn't the results OF some big bang OF gooey yukky stuff but THAT I was actually... a  divine IDIOT !

PS : Sorry for the caps... I tried to emulate the virtuosity in which the Jesus Freaks use these all the time here... But I'm not good at it yet... I think I nailed the very last word though.

Si Dieu existe, c'est Son problème !
If God exists, it's His problem !--Graffiti on the walls of the Sorbonne (France), May 1968
romancedlife.blogspot.com

Jacob Cordingley
SuperfanBronze Member
Jacob Cordingley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good old Benny Dick. I

Good old Benny Dick. I actually agree with him about the study of philosophy alongside science. But not theology. Theology is just a fucktarded substitute for philosophy.

Science has undone all the superstitious crap that has simply plagued humanity for so long. He's just angry because it was that superstitious crap that kept the pontificate in so much power for so long! Fuck off and give us a chance to breathe you stupid old ex-Hitler Youth, human hating CUNT!

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is it just me or are these 2 contradictory articles...?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22880073/  *from article cited in original post: "In an age when scientific developments attract and seduce with the possibilities they offer, it's more important than ever to educate our contemporaries' consciences so that science does not become the criteria for goodness,"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11275692/ *from article (Feb 2006) : "But science and religion are not opposed to each other and Christians should not be afraid to try to understand how they complement each other in explaining the mystery of life on Earth, he told the Vatican’s doctrinal department."

Any thoughts?

-Renee 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22880073/ *from article cited in original post: "In an age when scientific developments attract and seduce with the possibilities they offer, it's more important than ever to educate our contemporaries' consciences so that science does not become the criteria for goodness,"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11275692/ *from article (Feb 2006) : "But science and religion are not opposed to each other and Christians should not be afraid to try to understand how they complement each other in explaining the mystery of life on Earth, he told the Vatican’s doctrinal department."

Any thoughts?

-Renee

No,no Renee you are definitely WRONG. So wrong...

First quote is about their science and as all we know this science is baaad science, second quote is about our christian goood science by sanction of Church.

Go and re-educate yourself sister and don't sin more !

Ecrasez l'infame!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
MattShizzle wrote: This

MattShizzle wrote:
This pope sucks syphillitic moose balls.

What is wrong with crab infested donkey balls? 

"I ate his liver with fava beans and a nice Kiante"Tongue out

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22880073/  *from article cited in original post: "In an age when scientific developments attract and seduce with the possibilities they offer, it's more important than ever to educate our contemporaries' consciences so that science does not become the criteria for goodness,"

Any thoughts?

-Renee 

My $0.02: Personally, this strikes me more as Ben's losing his grip.  IOW...yes, they certainly are contradictory.  And I think that in happier days, Ben himself would have noticed the problem.  Being Pope (and probably simple age) are clearly wearing the man down.

Conor

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me