Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ty, if i ever move to

Ty, if i ever move to america i`ll know where to not send my kids into school

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The Rev. Jamie Stilson,

"The Rev. Jamie Stilson, pastor of Vineyard Community Church in Cape Coral, said he isn't opposed to the teaching of evolution. But he does object to it being taught as the only explanation for the creation of the universe and origin of species."

***Strike 1 -- incorrectly thinks that evolution offers any opinion on the creation of the universe.

"I understand there are people who believe (evolution), but I would be happier to see them at least present both sides and teach it as theory, as opposed to a fact," Stilson said.

***Strike 2 -- Misunderstanding of the scientific definition of theory.

"It is just as scientific to believe in intelligent design as it is to believe in evolution."

***Strike 3 -- You get the Billy Madison quote:  Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't think these types of

I don't think these types of resolutions have withstood court challenges.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: I don't

wavefreak wrote:
I don't think these types of resolutions have withstood court challenges.

Just the fact that it keeps being brought up over and over shows how woefully uneducated the general public is.  The last time this was tried, it was overthrown by a Republican-appointed judge in Dover.  This gives me a little hope that even some Republicans aren't total Neanderthals (apologies to the erstwhile Neanderthals, who were actually quite intelligent).  But in my family, no one believes in evolution, although I've been making some headway by mentioning little facts.  I'm not trying to make headway.  It just so happens I'm rather interested in natural history.  That's all. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: Link

This just in.

12 Florida school districts have passed resolutions to explore flatness as an alternative to the current in-vogue theory of spherical-ness to explain the shape of the earth.

12 Florida school districts have passed resolutions encouraging high schools to teach alchemy alongside chemistry.

12 Florida school districts may be forced to teach Pastafarianism (while dressed in the full regalia of pirates) as an alternative to Creationism...

Whatever.

Jesus, people are stupid.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

RagenGaijin
RagenGaijin's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can hear it in the class

I can hear it in the class room already. So kids guess how everything got here? How? God did it! OK? Now onto evolution.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was often so faintly

I was often so faintly amused by how hard the ID lobby tried to get what they wanted into the classroom, and kept getting rejected. But I was always puzzled. What precisely, supposing that they do manage to get ID into biology textbooks, do they intend to teach? I don't think they've thought this out very well. They've been so focused on trying to win the court battle that there does not appear to be anything to teach supposing they eventually win something?

Evolution, after all, is an entire discipline unto itself with numerous important concepts and experiments that can be performed. I'm not sure how, even if they did manage to get ID into schools, precisely what material would there be to teach alongside evolution? What experiments, concepts, applications, theories and propositions can possibly be derived from it? Precisely how on earth do they intend to teach it? If they intend to teach it alongside evolution, it will look like a laughingstock. Evolutionary biology is an arm unto itself, which usually takes up a full textbook by itself, at high school level, three at university. What counterpart can be offered as a curriculum by those who wish to pass ID? How would you administer a science test on ID? How would you devise an experiment around ID? What theories and propositions are there to teach around ID? What actual content could possibly be taught in the science classroom. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
deludedgod wrote:

deludedgod wrote:

precisely what material would there be to teach alongside evolution?

This "textbook" has a lovely cover ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=gxIR1rbuwqYC

Aeroslin
Aeroslin's picture
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: Link

Looks like the location of the next president of the united states of idiots in about 60 years.

HC Grindon
High Level DonorModerator
User is offlineOffline
Just curious: Are there any

Just curious: Are there any respectable universities out there that teach this ID crap?  I would find that incredibly hard to believe.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
These idiots rightfully

These idiots rightfully complain about Islamic government schools teaching "Allah did it".

The inmaturity of the species is astounding. We live in a day and age where we can use a space telliscope to look into the depths of the universe. We live in a day and age where we can scan the human brain and we can identify single atoms with an electron microscope. Yet these idiots are still stuck in the past with their "POOF" explinations based on ancient Marvel Comic books.

If "God did it", then they should be consistant and teach that god allows pediphiles to murder children. He allowed 6 million Jews to be slaughtered without preventing it. He allows hurricans to distroy cities. He allows famine to kill starving children in Africa. He allows Sunamis to kill 200k, women, children and men, without stoping it. And then he blames these horrific events on us, knowing he has the power to never allow it to happen.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Flori-DUH

Flori-DUH

spaceclown
User is offlineOffline
I live in Florida.  In a

I live in Florida.  In a not so distant county, the county passed a law banning the devil from the passing the countly line.  I think banning evolution is a given in these parts.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
    yo Brian37 , so

yo Brian37 , so retarded it is,

drives me nuts too ..... hey god is magic ! ,

shit , fall on your knees !

, come on xians, I want to study you as you pray !