My cat died last night.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
My cat died last night.

I was watching a football game with a friend and he seemed grumpy, but that was not unusual for him when around strangers, so I didnt pay any attention to it.

Later, after my friend left I noticed that he had gotten sick, but once again, I figured that maybe it was jus his food that gave him an upset tummy. I figured if he didnt get better in the moring I would take him to the vet. Then about right after 3am  happend. He passed out seaized up his body spazed and then he died.

He did have a history of cancer, but they removed the lump, and up untill yesterday afternoon, he seemed to be fine. Not sure if that is what it was. The vet said heartworms can be common too. It could have been anything.

I just hope it wasnt anything I did. I would be devistated if he had swallowed something I didnt know about and could have prevented. I am having an autopsy done on him, just to be sure that it wasnt anything I might have done.

I am am stunned right now and have spent the night and all day today in and out of crying. He is my best friend, he got me through my divorce and he was there for me when my mom was in the hospital, and he always cheers me up when I have a bad day at work.

I MISS HIM SO MUCH! I WANT HIM BACK!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
  so sorry...

Sad  so sorry...

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I watched this episode of

I watched this episode of Sesame Street a lot after my grandfather died in march, and then again after I had to put one of my cats down in September, and then again in mid-December when a very close friend of mine passed away.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=awNfD6yewAA

(I don't care to figure out how to embed youtube videos here, so I'll just leave the link.)

Anyway, it helped me a bit, and I thought I'd share it with you.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to hear that Brian.

Sorry to hear that Brian. It's never easy to lose a friend.

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Losing pets always sucks. 

Losing pets always sucks.  I've cried over many an animal when they die.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to hear about the

Sorry to hear about the loss of your companion. I am pretty much a blue-collar kind of guy but I always cry when I have to put down one of my feline babies. 

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

dave805
dave805's picture
User is offlineOffline
Awww shit... I truly feel

Awww shit... I truly feel sorry for you man. If my cat were to die i would probibly go nuts. Then again im still recovering from my father passing away a couple years ago. Still I really feel for you mate.

Dang that is just messed up.. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Brian, I'm sorry about

Hey Brian, I'm sorry about your cat. Sad  I've always been devastated by the deaths of animals under my care.  It's one of the reasons I stopped breeding exotic birds. The death of a baby African grey with a heart defect really upset me and I think that was the last straw.  I had a necropsy performed to make sure it really was a heart defect and not aspiration pneumonia as one vet had diagnosed.  If it was aspiration pneumonia, it would have been my fault, or at least partially my fault.  During my time as a breeder, I never burned or aspirated a chick, but it happens.  Sometimes even when we do our best it happens.

I haven't had a cat since I was about 9, but I've owned (been owned by?) a wonderful Amazon parrot for 21 years.  I think I'd have to be committed if something happened to him at this point.  I really love the little green bastard.

Anyway, all of this is to say I empathize with the loss of your cat.  Even if it turns out you could have "done something" remember that hindsight really is 20/20 (unless you're the Bush Administration).  

Again, I'm sorry.  

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
   yeah Brian, I'm just

yeah Brian,

I'm just glad you had such a friend. Life is indeed precious. We lost our big old loving dog 6 months ago, cried, and buried him in the back yard.

Every pet has a different personality, ... there will never be another like him ....

You are a lucky fella. Your lost friend would'nt want you to be sad.  Celebrate your good luck ....       

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to hear about that,

Sorry to hear about that, Brian. How old was he?

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
Sorry to hear that, We lost

Sorry to hear that, We lost our dog at the end of July she died from cancer (my mom didn't want to know the exact reason, it would have been to hard on my Dad what with his Alzheimer's and everything) but we had her cremated and he now keeps her ashes above him on a shelf on his bed. It's much worse with him on his bad days when he doesn't remember that she died and me or my mom have to re-explain it to him...

My Brother got married recently and when his wife moved in they had two dogs, the one died and my brother didn't really wanna keep it since he was the only one taking care of it even though they were his daughters dogs. So when our dog died he drove up from Oklahoma just to give my dad a new dog.

I should say that any dog we have is not ours but my dad's he has this weird thing where any dog no matter what will come up to him and befriend him instantaneously.

P.S. Our dog was 14 almost 15 when she died...

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shaitian wrote: . It's much

Shaitian wrote:
. It's much worse with him on his bad days when he doesn't remember that she died and me or my mom have to re-explain it to him...

Jesus, that's sad.  Poor man.  Sad  On the bright side, he can forget who's been president for the last 7 years. (Was that mean?  I'd like to forget.)

I'm glad he has another dog, though. That's good.

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry about your loss. 

Sorry about your loss.  It's always hard to lose a member of the family, and that is what pets are, a member of the family.  I've lost a lot in 56 years and it never is easy.  It's especially hard when they've helped you through the hard times.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Thanks guys, he was 8. Like

Thanks guys, he was 8. Like I said, the best friend I have ever had.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian, I am so sorry to

Brian, I am so sorry to hear about Payton (sp?).  She was a sweetheart who brought much joy and comfort to you.  I know we have said it before, but I will say it again - we all know that we don't own pets; they own us.  She will be missed.

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
My little cat dracula aged

My little cat dracula aged 20 died 2 years ago still miss him loads bed just isnt the same without bits of fur all over it Sad

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I had to take my ailing

I had to take my ailing childhood calico to be put down. It was the first time I'd experienced death without consideration for an afterlife. I held onto her and talked to her the whole time, trying to make it clear until the end that she wasn't alone and is loved. The pain is the same for us whether we think they go somewhere, or not.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
JCE wrote: Brian, I am so

JCE wrote:

Brian, I am so sorry to hear about Payton (sp?). She was a sweetheart who brought much joy and comfort to you. I know we have said it before, but I will say it again - we all know that we don't own pets; they own us. She will be missed.

Actually you got the spelling right buy his sex wrong. My X wife named him Peyton after Peyton Manning, but when we went to the vet for the first time I spelled his name Payton by mistake and decided to always spell it that way. He is a he.

Thanks again eveyone in this post. He was the best cat ever. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: JCE

Brian37 wrote:
JCE wrote:

Brian, I am so sorry to hear about Payton (sp?). She was a sweetheart who brought much joy and comfort to you. I know we have said it before, but I will say it again - we all know that we don't own pets; they own us. She will be missed.

Actually you got the spelling right buy his sex wrong. My X wife named him Peyton after Peyton Manning, but when we went to the vet for the first time I spelled his name Payton by mistake and decided to always spell it that way. He is a he.

Thanks again eveyone in this post. He was the best cat ever.

If you feel comfortable about it, would you let us know the results of the necropsy?  Sometimes knowing can help other pet owners.  I hope it helps you.  When my baby African grey died in my lap at the vet's, it hurt like hell, but knowing what killed him gave me some peace of mind.

Behind me, my Amazon parrot is further mutilating the birdy Kong toy he already killed some weeks ago. Smiling  I am so blessed (if you excuse the expression) to have him.  Hearing about what happened to your kitty made me appreciate him even more. 

We're all temporary.

We all have to make peace with that... 

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Brian, A week before

Hi Brian,

A week before christmas our little feline got out of the house and was hit by a speeding car, he lived just long enough to say goodbye. It was devastating, he was barely a year old and we loved him very much. His name was Phoenix, but I nicknamed him Romeo because he was a really loving little guy. It was a horrible shock to lose him, pets are no less than people to the family that loves them, I'm so sorry for your loss of a good friend.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Brian,

triple post.. deleted 

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eloise wrote: Hi Brian, A

Eloise wrote:

Hi Brian,

A week before christmas our little feline got out of the house and was hit by a speeding car, he lived just long enough to say goodbye. It was devastating, he was barely a year old and we loved him very much. His name was Phoenix, but I nicknamed him Romeo because he was a really loving little guy. It was a horrible shock to lose him, pets are no less than people to the family that loves them, I'm so sorry for your loss of a good friend.

Gaaah !!  I hate to hear about stuff like that ! ( poor little guy ) I'm a wimp when it comes to animals.  I can't even bring myself to watch the animal rescue programs on TV because I can't watch an animal suffer in pain. 

Dawkins Rottweiler
Dawkins Rottweiler's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Brian

Sorry about Payton.