Is environmentalism a religion?

Jolt
Jolt's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is environmentalism a religion?

I was reading the thread on Global Warming (as an Irrational Precept) the other day and was reminded of a speech by Michael Crichton on environmentalism as a religion. I don't want to attempt to change anyone's opinion on climate change, but would like to address what I believe to be a problem with environmentalism as a whole.

I found a YouTube video where Crichton addresses some questions over this speech which gives a good summary and is pretty short as well.

A transcript of the speech can be found here.

Is environmentalism really a religion or just an ideology?  From what I've read it seems to depend on how losely you define what a religion is.  I tried to find a few more opinions about this and quite a few people basically don't agree because religion relies on faith and environmentalism on science.   I tend to agree with that, but at times it seems like the environmentalist movement uses science to back up its set of beliefs instead being driven by it. Regardless if it is considered a religion or not, I think that Crichton discusses several interesting simularities between environmentalism and religion in general and problems that these bring.

I personally believe that the environmental movement could do so much more if it was less dogmatic and became more pragmatic.  Environmentalism ignores a basic concern for virtually everyone: affordable energy.  Instead of pushing for the clean-up of cheap energy sources we presently use, which is realistically possible, the environmentalist movement is pushing for simple reduction, and renewable energy sources (which often are as dirty as the fossil fuels they should replace).  No one should be surprised when people aren't lining up to buy expensive solar panels that don't cover their energy needs.

So, am I totally off on this?  Is the environmentalist movement just an honest response to the damage man has done?  Or do the environmentalists use the same methods that the religions do get their message across, regardless if facts conflict with their set of beliefs?

As a side note, Micheal Crichton is a technology-fiction writer (his most famous book is probably Jurassic Park).  After doing background research for a book called State of Fear, Crichton began speaking publically on environmentalism and issues surrounding it.

Readiness to answer all questions is the infallible sign of stupidity. Saul Bellow, Herzog

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
At it's heart,

At it's heart, environmentalism posits that nature is better than man-made. Saving endangered species is good, letting them die off is bad. Clean is good, pollutioin is bad. In short, environmentalism is ethical and moral position, not a scientific one judgement. So the real question is how are the moral and ethical questions raised by environmentalists best answered?

Is it a religion? Not in my opinion. The irrational fervency of some environementalists does not make it a religion.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
By the standards that the

By the standards that the more prominent members of the RRS hold, I don't think it would be considered a religion. From what I've seen, most of the members of the Squad require that religions are formed around and based on theistic faith (that is, non-contingent belief in a "supernatural" deity), and I don't feel that environmentalism carries that trait.

I see environmentalism as a political movement, and nothing more

Jolt
Jolt's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: So the

wavefreak wrote:
So the real question is how are the moral and ethical questions raised by environmentalists best answered?

Is that really the question? From what I've seen, environmentalist aren't limiting themselves to opinions, but are actively trying to realize their vision of the world.  No offense, but Christians in the U.S. have shown that religion in government leads to failure.  Why should a quasi-religious organisation do any better?

Readiness to answer all questions is the infallible sign of stupidity. Saul Bellow, Herzog

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jolt wrote: wavefreak

Jolt wrote:

wavefreak wrote:
So the real question is how are the moral and ethical questions raised by environmentalists best answered?

Is that really the question? From what I've seen, environmentalist aren't limiting themselves to opinions, but are actively trying to realize their vision of the world. No offense, but Christians in the U.S. have shown that religion in government leads to failure. Why should a quasi-religious organisation do any better?

The answer to the question for the environmentalist is to become more politically and socially influential. They have answered the moral questions by accepting an imperative to expand their vision of what is "good". Where it breaks down from a rationalist's point of view is when their moral imperative enables them to ignore empirical evidence. That's when it becomes more like a psuedo-religion. 

Jolt
Jolt's picture
User is offlineOffline
mark65

mark65 wrote:

Enviromentalism is behaving like a fundamentalist religion, if you don't conform to their view on global warming you are treated as a heretic non believer.

you have scientists denouncing other scientists because the don't follow the right belief or conform to the "widely held beliefs".

If you are a scientist who doesn't worship at the temple of Al Gore your credibility and career are at risk.

When science behaves like a religion it weakens its credibility and can only play into the hands of theists who attack science, whats a better target than scientific splinter groups argueing over who has the right facts (my god is better than your god).

IMHO

MattSchizzle wrote:
There is no worship involved and the big difference is there are huge ammounts of evidence supporting global warming. Yes, scientists who say it isn't true (mostly paid by the petroleum industry) are denounced - as would be a biologist who denied evolution or an astronomer who claimed the Earth was the center of the Solar System or an Obstetrician who claimed babies weren't born out of a woman's twat but were brought by storks.

AdamTM wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

There is no worship involved and the big difference is there are huge ammounts of evidence supporting global warming. Yes, scientists who say it isn't true (mostly paid by the petroleum industry) are denounced - as would be a biologist who denied evolution or an astronomer who claimed the Earth was the center of the Solar System or an Obstetrician who claimed babies weren't born out of a woman's twat but were brought by storks.

I would disagree with you on that, i researched a bit into this topic

and came to the conclusion that just about all evidence contradicts itself in some way, and i rather dont know what side to believe.

Now what i really think is that there is, on both sides, a missinterpretation of data.

I think that there acutally IS a global warming, but manmade global warming? Rather no.

Yes i also think we should stick to the kyoto protocol and try to polute less, making a big fuss about it? no

But i also see that making a rather well organized media campaign can apply the right pressure on governments.

So basically i agree and dissagree at the same time

Mark65 wrote:

the worshiping wasn't meant lterally, and not all scientists disagreeing with man made co2 killing the world are paid by petrochemical companies, that is a fact.

its amazing how the arguments from the enviro's sound so similar to the god squad, if you don't conform you are rediculed and damned.

i'd have thought at least atheists would be open minded enough not to believe everything they're told.

is the world warming up? probably

is it a man made event? inconclusive

can we stop it? nope

best we can do is buy shares in sandbags and scuba gear

darth_josh wrote:

Humanity has been fucking with natural selection for millenia. Cave dogs, Pharaoh's kitties, animal domestication, the list of artificial selection models for study is abso-fucking-lutely incredible. We keep penguins that have difficulty breeding alive in zoos. Rare predators, who on an evolutionary basis are our competitors, are put on nature preserves to hunt without interference by anything other than a camera. The vaccination of meercat pups. etc. etc.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I submit that we couldn't leave well enough alone even if we wanted to do so.

Of course we're going to try to find a way to preserve the status quo of our environment. We like it. Any changes to it affect our happiness. Environmentalism is instinct.

We would be idiots to think that we only have 50 years left as a species though. OH WAIT! I forgot some people really think that the Earth is going to be destroyed by a petulant 'deity' soon. LMAO. However, even your hardcore 'rapture' freaks spend time planting gardens, adopting pets, and watching Animal Planet. Otherwise, there probably wouldn't be that 'Animal Miracles' show.

It still fits the ideology model because it has a basic tenet, the preservation of the planet. However, more examination would be needed to determine whether environmentalism is worshipping the planet.

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm pretty sure the question is thoroughly answered, but I'll chime in anyway. Environmentalism is not based on belief in the supernatural. It is not a religion.

I consider myself to be something of an environmentalist, and I'll try to illustrate exactly why it's not a religion by explaining how I approach it.

*I recycle absolutely everything I can. There's no doubt that plastics and glass and such last a damn long time, and trash is a problem. I recognize that there are issues with recycling, and I know that it is not a perfect solution, but it's clearly better than not recycling.

*I have rain barrels because maintaining reservoirs is important, and I try to help.

*I prefer, but don't exclusively buy, local, non-processed, naturally raised meat. Same for veggies.

*I don't throw away old stuff. I donate it to the needy.

*I walk or bicycle anywhere I can. I have an 8 year old car with less than 70,000 miles on it.

I could list a lot of things, but the general idea is simple. I don't know for certain if global warming is going to put New York City underwater. There's not really much I can do to prevent it personally, but I can live as responsibly as I can. As for why I do the things I do, the best evidence I can find suggests that they are good ideas. If I read compelling evidence to the contrary, I'll change my position.

In all sciences, there are cranks and quacks. It's extremely difficult to separate the two when you aren't a scientist yourself. Even so, there are some indicators that help. For instance, when I examine the issue of pollution, I notice that virtually the only people suggesting that it isn't a problem are the people creating the pollution. Virtually all the scientists unaffiliated with a polluter say it's a real problem.

Similarly, I notice that almost everyone screaming that Global Warming isn't real have a vested interest in the status quo. While this doesn't prove anything, it does present a strong case. When I review history, I notice that most revolutionary ideas were resisted by the establishment, and I also notice that lying and attacking opponents' credibility are the two most common tools employed by people who don't have actual facts to back them up.

If you ask me if Global Warming is real, I answer, "I think so."

If you ask me if New York will be underwater in fifty years, I answer, "I have no idea."

I suspect that my approach is similar to most thinking people's. Hardly religious.

Jolt
Jolt's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:
Environmentalism is not based on belief in the supernatural. It is not a religion.

Wikipedia: Relgion

"Sociologists and anthropologists tend to see religion as an abstract set of ideas, values, or experiences developed as part of a cultural matrix. For example, in Lindbeck's Nature of Doctrine, religion does not refer to belief in "God" or a transcendent Absolute. Instead, Lindbeck defines religion as, "a kind of cultural and/or linguistic framework or medium that shapes the entirety of life and thought… it is similar to an idiom that makes possible the description of realities, the formulation of beliefs, and the experiencing of inner attitudes, feelings, and sentiments.”[6] According to this definition, religion refers to one's primary worldview and how this dictates one's thoughts and actions."

I see environmentalism as more than a political party because it doesn't stop at just forming personal opinions and political activism. Environmentalism dictates what people should believe and how they should act. The environmentalists don't stop at how they themselves should behave either, they want to dictate what others should believe as well.

Environmentalism is a blanket term that covers everyone from environmentally conscience people like yourself, to fundamentalists who believe that man is a cancer to the earth. I suppose it is highly debatable what constitutes mainstream environmentalism, but in my opinion it is much more than simple actions; it is a way of life.

Quote:
When I review history, I notice that most revolutionary ideas were resisted by the establishment

I totally agree.

Quote:
and I also notice that lying and attacking opponents' credibility are the two most common tools employed by people who don't have actual facts to back them up.

Again, I totally agree. This is one of the reasons why I am suspect of the climate change scientists.

The question of whether environmentalism is a religion is interesting to me not just because of misused resources (The Kyoto Protocol is estimated to cost 150 Billion Dollars a year; a lot of money that could be spent on things more solvable in my opinion). In his speech to the Commonwealth Club in Sanfransico Crichton said something that I found very interesting and a bit depressing as well.

I studied anthropology in college, and one of the things I learned was that certain human social structures always reappear. They can't be eliminated from society. One of those structures is religion. Today it is said we live in a secular society in which many people---the best people, the most enlightened people---do not believe in any religion. But I think that you cannot eliminate religion from the psyche of mankind. If you suppress it in one form, it merely re-emerges in another form. You can not believe in God, but you still have to believe in something that gives meaning to your life, and shapes your sense of the world. Such a belief is religious.

So if we irradicate religion from the earth, is the same behaviour just going to keep popping up again and again, albeit without a supernatural being? I hope not.