eHarmony.com and atheists

David Mills
High Level Donor
David Mills's picture
User is offlineOffline
eHarmony.com and atheists

As a recently divorced atheist—divorced from a Fundamentalist Baptist—I took advantage of eHarmony.com's free weekend and, as honestly as I could, completed eHarmony's lengthy and detailed online questionnaire.

There were perhaps nine or ten questions directly relating to my own views of religion and to how importantly I valued compatibility of my own opinions with those of a potential match. I invariably indicated that I had no religious affiliation whatever and that it was "very important" that any potential match have an equally atheistic worldview.

Below is a screen capture, directly from eHarmony.com, of my "match," based upon "29 important areas of personal compatibility."

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe this is an example of

Maybe this is an example of the mysterious ways that God works. You left one godfearing woman and now God thinks you need another one.  He interveened in the eharmony computer and found you one. lol

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

mindspread
mindspread's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is not the first I've

This is not the first I've heard of this kind of thing from eHarmony. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Am I correct in remembering

Am I correct in remembering that E-Harmony is owned by a Christian?  Against my better judgment, I tried E-harmony after a very long relationship broke up a couple of years ago.  I ran into the same problem.   I was able to find three or four matches that were also atheists, but none even remotely close to me geographically.

In any case, I agree with you that the matching system seems to disregard religiosity in its selection process.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

mr804
Special AgentSuperfan
mr804's picture
User is offlineOffline
Salon had a good good story

Salon had a good good story on eharmony. Which I can't find now. Something to the effect that the guy/girl knew something was up when the first question people would ask were about faith and your relationship with God. Funny stuff.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
What? You all think the only

What? You all think the only way a religious person can scam money is in church?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: What? You all think

Quote:
What? You all think the only way a religious person can scam money is in church?

Why am I suddenly hearing the opening chords to "Won't Get Fooled Again" running through my brain?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

magilum
User is offlineOffline
The grinning, chin-less,

The grinning, chin-less, monochromatic creature that founded it is an eVangelical, IIRC, who based the system on a religious book series he's since tried to distance the site from to get more of that mainstream cash flow. I seem to recall an early ad where he was talking about the history of the site reaching so far into the past that I had to wonder whether this thing is a "resurrection" of punch card dating. You must know by now, David, that "having no religious affiliation" is a particular conceit of many Christians, not to be construed as unbelief in reanimated corpses.

People on the internet scare the shit out of me, frankly, but I've heard good things about okcupid.com (founded by those pretentious kids from The Spark), and chemistry.com has been advertising itself in direct opposition to the site founded by the guy who looks like he sleeps face down on pine cones.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have to admit I was

I have to admit I was thinking of using eHarmony as a good friend  (theist) found her husband on there.

However, I'll have to give it more thought.  I tried that freethinkermatch site and for starters there are only a handful of people on there and secondly the only person I actually met turned out to be a Christian in disquise.  I'd rather be single than deal with someone trying to convert me and sleep with me at the same time.  On that note, if there are any single male atheists out there, click "reply to author" and... Eye-wink

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I have heard this before -

I have heard this before - it's a Christian site but they don't advertise that most of the time (on Christian programs/magazines and such I think they do.) I was told if you're an atheist they'd give you "no matches" unless you happened to hold some right-wing views - like anti-abortion.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually I heard an NPR

Actually I heard an NPR interview with the founder of E-harmony a couple years back on a long road trip. They asked them about ATHEISTS being allowed on the site, and he said "yes".

And of course the psudo open minded site who allows atheists wont match up gays or lesbians. 

But, it unfortunatly seems like a ploy to match you up hopefully to someone who will help you find GAWAD. 

That IS NOT a computer error, that is the company lying to the public. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Am I

Hambydammit wrote:

Am I correct in remembering that E-Harmony is owned by a Christian? Against my better judgment, I tried E-harmony after a very long relationship broke up a couple of years ago. I ran into the same problem. I was able to find three or four matches that were also atheists, but none even remotely close to me geographically.

In any case, I agree with you that the matching system seems to disregard religiosity in its selection process.

It doesnt disregard it, it goes out of it's way to discriminate against atheists. Of course they will alow us on, because once we see we will be pared up with a Jesus freak we wont come back.

It is kinda like inviting blacks to ride the bus but insisting that they ride in the back. Sure, we can get dates from E-harmony, but they wont pair us up with other atheists in order to discourage us from coming to the site at all.

Subtle discrimination under the veil of open mindedness.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The guy that owns that site

The guy that owns that site reminds me on his commercials of a sleazy used car salesman. There was another match they wouldn't make - either older women with younger men or taller women with shorter men - can't remember which one though. He's an asshat.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't realize so many

I didn't realize so many people were using these kinds of websites.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps it's because not a

Perhaps it's because not a lot of atheist use that siter, so they couldn't find a match.

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Perhaps it's because not a lot of atheist use that siter, so they couldn't find a match.

Nope.  It has to be yet another case of Christians persecuting atheists.   

magilum
User is offlineOffline
jmm wrote: Cpt_pineapple

jmm wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Attempted sarcasm? eHarmony doesn't deal with gays or atheists. It's their right as a private company founded by an imbecile.

I don't recall you always being an asshole. 

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: jmm

magilum wrote:
jmm wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Attempted sarcasm? eHarmony doesn't deal with gays or atheists. It's their right as a private company founded by an imbecile.

I don't recall you always being an asshole. 

Easy, it was a joke.