What is the supernatural?

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
What is the supernatural?

Of those who believe the supernatural exists and of those who refuse to say it does not exist, define it.

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is a death trap. Let's

This is a death trap.

Let's see. If super natural is "a force outside of nature" then how can it interact with nature? If it interacts it must be connected in some way and therfore not "outside". If supernatural are jsut unxeplained phenomena, then why bother calling it supernatural. Just call it unexplained.  

It is all irrelevant to me. What exists exists regardless of what I call it. Failings in the descriptive power of language seem to be the problem. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak wrote: This is a

wavefreak wrote:

This is a death trap.

Let's see. If super natural is "a force outside of nature" then how can it interact with nature? If it interacts it must be connected in some way and therfore not "outside". If supernatural are jsut unxeplained phenomena, then why bother calling it supernatural. Just call it unexplained.

It is all irrelevant to me. What exists exists regardless of what I call it. Failings in the descriptive power of language seem to be the problem.

Right, what is, is, dispite what we call it. But isnt it funny once we know something, it no longer falls into the "Super natural" catigory and we discover it to be natural. "Supernatural" shrinks the more we discover.

So what is the point of calling anything beyond nature? Why not do what you rightfully say and call it, "Unknown at this time" insted of assigning magic into a gap.

"Poof" mentality is what that is. It is intelectual lazyness.

"Supernatural/deity/ universal conciousness" Are all utterances by people who refuse to face the unknown and childishly incert bad guesses into the gaps of scientific knowlege because their ego wont let them accept they dont know everything.

It is an evolutionary hiccup, a missfire. If one thinks they have the answer, even if false, will continue to spread the lie to create a  false club, a safty in numbers game in an futile attempt to avoid their own mortality or the mortality of the club.

Quote:
Failings in the descriptive power of language seem to be the problem.

When a skeptic says. "Wait and see"

The theist says, "There must be magic in that gap"

"Snarfwidgit"

I just used language to utter a word, "Snarfwidgit". Since I cant define it, and since you cant disprove it, "Snarfwidget" must fall under the relm of  "Language failing to discribe it".

Or could it just be wishfull thinking on the part of the theist? Just like I just made up a nonsense word? "Snarfwidgit"? 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: wavefreak

Brian37 wrote:
wavefreak wrote:
Failings in the descriptive power of language seem to be the problem.

When a skeptic says. "Wait and see"

The theist says, "There must be magic in that gap"

"Snarfwidgit"

I just used language to utter a word, "Snarfwidgit". Since I cant define it, and since you cant disprove it, "Snarfwidget" must fall under the relm of "Language failing to discribe it".

When I consider the inadequacy of language I mean it on a more fundamental level. I believe that there are things that exist that language, in principle, can only partially describe. A snarfwidget doesn't exist simply because you strung together some symbols. The string of symbols "snarfwidget" has no referent. But the string of symbols "universe" does have a referent. I consider it impossible that any finite string of symbols can fully describe the referent of the string "universe". Since we are limited by our nature to finite strings, we can never fully describe the universe. So even if a deity class entity spoke directly to my brain via some weird psychic connection, I would be limited to my finite set of strings in order communicate it with other humans, hence any description of the interaction would be limited or even flawed. Which is why I cannot accept the bible as a the unvarnished, truely represented word of god.

Maybe when I retire I'll have time to study philosophy of language and formalize this concept. I'm sure that others have explored this in a great deal of depth. But until then, I must remain a psuedo-intellectual, playing in the sandbox with my toys.

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Here's a possibility that

Here's a possibility that theists could make use of.
The most fundamental elements of nature as we understand it is the space-time structure. Space time gives a most fundamental structure that all the other scientific facts depend upon.

A supernatural being could be one who is outside this structure. What's more, our space-time structure would be contingent on his will.
Sometimes there are arguments that as concepts of mind rely on a temporal structure, a God with mental properties (e.g. agency) would also need a temporal structure. But although this God would be outside the structure of our spacetime universe, that doesn't mean that he himself cannot also be within a different temporal structure. So this definition is coherent.

There's no evidence for such a being and I am an atheist.
But atleast such a definition would be coherent and it would also make it theoretically possible for there to be evidence for such a God, and there to be potential in certain ID arguments.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Our language cannot

Our language cannot completely describe even relatively simple everyday objects, all we can hope to do is capture some analogy of significant (to us) aspects of what we are referring to, some shadow version of our experience or perception of 'it'.

All we require to be able to make coherent statements about 'it', is at least some concept of some attribute, some property, of 'it'. Failing this, we really have nothing to talk about.

The basic problem with the 'supernatural', as I see it, is that whenever it is introduced as a potential 'explanation' for some natural phenomena, either inside or outside our heads, the person usually has some pre-conceived 'supernatural' entity already in mind. Whereas intellectual honesty would recognise the utter open-endedness of the literally infinite Universe of concepts that lie beyond our current understanding. What are the odds that old, primitive, ideas of gods, ghosts, demons, etc that our minds keep getting drawn to are any more likely to make sense of ultimate reality? This is the problem with the ordinary use of the term - it has so much baggage attached, frequently un-acknowledged, or even subconscious.

The recent history of science, with relativity, quantum mechanics, in particular, points to ultimate explanations being extremely unlikely to match our primate intuitions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Well, if the definition of

Well, if the definition of natural is all that exists, then there can be no super natural.

However, if you want to get technical, higher dimensions (11 predicted by string theory) could be above our nature, in the sense we can never experience them.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: Our

BobSpence1 wrote:

Our language cannot completely describe even relatively simple everyday objects, all we can hope to do is capture some analogy of significant (to us) aspects of what we are referring to, some shadow version of our experience or perception of 'it'.

All we require to be able to make coherent statements about 'it', is at least some concept of some attribute, some property, of 'it'. Failing this, we really have nothing to talk about.

The basic problem with the 'supernatural', as I see it, is that whenever it is introduced as a potential 'explanation' for some natural phenomena, either inside or outside our heads, the person usually has some pre-conceived 'supernatural' entity already in mind. Whereas intellectual honesty would recognise the utter open-endedness of the literally infinite Universe of concepts that lie beyond our current understanding. What are the odds that old, primitive, ideas of gods, ghosts, demons, etc that our minds keep getting drawn to are any more likely to make sense of ultimate reality? This is the problem with the ordinary use of the term - it has so much baggage attached, frequently un-acknowledged, or even subconscious.

The recent history of science, with relativity, quantum mechanics, in particular, points to ultimate explanations being extremely unlikely to match our primate intuitions.

Yes, but there is a HUGE differance between the scientific data that quantum michanics is based on, vs the Harry Potter bullshit of Apollo and Jesus. Quantum michanics will never produce evidence that I can fart a lamborginni out of my ass. Quantum michanics unlike theist garbage, admits the unknown without postulating the absurd. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Well, if the definition of natural is all that exists, then there can be no super natural.

However, if you want to get technical, higher dimensions (11 predicted by string theory) could be above our nature, in the sense we can never experience them.

Begs the question a bit, defining 'nature' as our Universe, whereas these extra (not higher - that would be more question-begging) dimensions are not necessarily 'outside' our Universe, just not detectable to our senses.

If you are referring to extensions into m-theory, etc, where we envisage other 'Universes' which may be versions of our own Big-Bang-originated observable universe, this is really just enlarging the realm of the Natural.

Any attempt to insert a Supernatural 'realm' this way is just a grander version of identifying 'God' with super-powerful aliens within our own universe, leaving unaddressed the fallacy of God as ultimate 'cause'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Begs the question a bit, defining 'nature' as our Universe, whereas these extra (not higher - that would be more question-begging) dimensions are not necessarily 'outside' our Universe, just not detectable to our senses.

If you are referring to extensions into m-theory, etc, where we envisage other 'Universes' which may be versions of our own Big-Bang-originated observable universe, this is really just enlarging the realm of the Natural.

Any attempt to insert a Supernatural 'realm' this way is just a grander version of identifying 'God' with super-powerful aliens within our own universe, leaving unaddressed the fallacy of God as ultimate 'cause'.

My point was that if you define everything as 'natural', then there can literally be nothing else. 

I guess that the other universes in multiverse theory are 'natural', just not our 'nature', but they're own 'nature.'

And you're right, the other dimensions are in our universe, however, they are folded up, or we're in a 3-D sinkhole of an 11-dimensional universe.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: My

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

My point was that if you define everything as 'natural', then there can literally be nothing else.

I guess that the other universes in multiverse theory are 'natural', just not our 'nature', but they're own 'nature.'

And you're right, the other dimensions are in our universe, however, they are folded up, or we're in a 3-D sinkhole of an 11-dimensional universe. 

Ok, I guess if we say 'everything' then sure, that doesn't leave room for anything else, I agree.

So I guess we could restrict ourselves to what we can detect directly or indirectly with our senses or instruments. It seems that something 'supernatural' is often suggested as the cause of some observable phenomena when we can't explain it by what we currently know, but that doesn't 'define' what is meant in any useful sense, because we can't know what may be discovered in the future.

So this is the basic 'Supernatural' problem, it seems to always end up being defined negatively.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote: the

BobSpence1 wrote:

the fallacy of God as ultimate 'cause'. 

This phrase seems ill defined, similar to supernatural or omnscient.  Causality seems to tied to our own universe's spacetime. We see experience 3 spacelike and 1 timelike dimensions. So all our senseof causality is imbedded in that. But what limits time to 1 dimension? If space has 11 dimensions, 8 unperceived, why can't time also have "extra" dimensions? Then what happens to causality and the arrow of time?

Before you dismiss this out of hand, one of the avenues of research in cosmology apparantly allows extra time dimensions. But I understand next to nothing about it.

Tis a weird and wonderful universe.

I AM GOD AS YOU
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak,  "Tis a weird

wavefreak,  "Tis a weird and wonderful universe. "

----------------

Would a theist please explain theist to me?

I am religiously baffled ?  , seriously friends ....

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
I AM GOD AS YOU

I AM GOD AS YOU wrote:

wavefreak, "Tis a weird and wonderful universe. "

----------------

Would a theist please explain theist to me?

I am religiously baffled ? , seriously friends ....

Theist: those that drive atheists to the edges of their sanity.

Hmmm ... Baffleism? I wonder if we could make that into a new religion. 

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
wavefreak

wavefreak wrote:
BobSpence1 wrote:

the fallacy of God as ultimate 'cause'.

This phrase seems ill defined, similar to supernatural or omnscient. Causality seems to tied to our own universe's spacetime. We see experience 3 spacelike and 1 timelike dimensions. So all our senseof causality is imbedded in that. But what limits time to 1 dimension? If space has 11 dimensions, 8 unperceived, why can't time also have "extra" dimensions? Then what happens to causality and the arrow of time?

Before you dismiss this out of hand, one of the avenues of research in cosmology apparantly allows extra time dimensions. But I understand next to nothing about it.

Tis a weird and wonderful universe.

Relativity, special or general, is a natural occurrence.

NOT relativism. lol.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Eloise
TheistBronze Member
Eloise's picture
User is offlineOffline
The supernatural is not

The supernatural is not outside of the natural it is most definitely inside what is natural or noone could claim to have perceived a supernatural event in a natural world. 

Most religious types want the supernatural to be outside of the natural simply because 'outside' translates memetically to superior authority in our society. God being supernaturally outside of nature is almost entirely an anthropomorphic and sociological kneejerk. In our western societies power or reign is thought optimised by externalisation. The western religious mind wants their all powerful god to have what corresponds to dominion in their sociological language.

Frankly this 'outside' notion of supernatural, held mostly by western based religions suffers sorely from lack of imagination, and it is a heresy against one of their teachers/prophets/gods namely Jesus, whose supernatural acts were all accomplished in the complete absence of elite unfettered external dominion.

To the original question, IMO 'supernatural' refers to possibilities inside the scope of nature which do not conform to the apparent steadfast laws that govern natural phenomenon.  

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wave, I'm not quite sure if

Wave, I'm not quite sure if you mean to go anywhere with this language bit.  The inability of humans to use language to fully articulate reality is a failing of language, and has no effect on the nature of reality.  Regardless of the inadequacy of my description, when I say the word, "Mother," I am conveying the concept to another person.  Regardless of whether I or the other person have a complete understanding of the word, female animals who reproduce are mothers.  Our label has no bearing on animal reproduction.  It is simply a way for us to transfer an idea between brains.  Likewise, the inadequacy of language to describe itself doesn't have anything to do with the fact that we can and do communicate.

I think perhaps you are overthinking the function of language.  We use language to communicate.  It is not strictly necessary for logic.  Consider a feral person who learns to use tools.  Clearly deduction and induction don't require language -- just concepts.  If we wish to transmit our conclusion to another being, we must use some sort of symbolic language, whether it is verbal or physical.

The point of saying all this is that your scenario of a god-like being communicating to you is not really accurate.  If such a being exists, its existence will conform to natural laws, whether we are aware of the laws or not.  If such a communication occurs, it will cause an effect which can be measured.  In other words, it will be falsifiable.  Like any unknown in science, we will be able to take what we know about it and begin eliminating possible explanations.

Until and unless some kind of evidence for a god-like creature exists, there is absolutely no reason to alter our concept of the laws of nature.  In what way would we alter them?  Without knowing anything about such a being, we could pick any one of thousands of changes to make in the nature of nature.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Wave,

Hambydammit wrote:

Wave, I'm not quite sure if you mean to go anywhere with this language bit.

<snip> 

Until and unless some kind of evidence for a god-like creature exists, there is absolutely no reason to alter our concept of the laws of nature. In what way would we alter them? Without knowing anything about such a being, we could pick any one of thousands of changes to make in the nature of nature.

Not really going anywhere with it. Just an observation. And your eveidentiary requirement is valid.

I am constantly amazed at a few things. How little we really know, how even what we know is an approximation, and the fact that even though we know so little so poorly, it still works well enough for us to do things like build giant particle accelerators.  

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Not really going

Quote:
Not really going anywhere with it. Just an observation. And your eveidentiary requirement is valid.

I always like hearing when people agree with me.

Quote:
I am constantly amazed at a few things. How little we really know, how even what we know is an approximation, and the fact that even though we know so little so poorly, it still works well enough for us to do things like build giant particle accelerators.

I think you might be making a kind of fallacy of composition here. I don't think there's a name for it, actually. You might have just invented a new fallacy. Basically, we do know quite a lot. It takes a rather enormous amount of information to make a particle accelerator. What I think you're doing is equating all the possible information about something (virtually unlimited) with all the relevant information about it. With regards to particle accelerators, we know everything we need to know to build ones like those already existing. It's safe to say we know almost enough to make accelerators that are slightly better than the ones we have now.

I'm not trying to brush off your point... not exactly. It's true that there's quite a lot we don't know. However, the accumulation of human knowledge is vast with regard to that which we've investigated thoroughly and scientifically.

Speaking of not brushing off your whole point, while what you say is true in a sense -- most of our knowledge is an approximation from one vantage point or another -- this is the same kind of thing. Though we can speak of not having precise knowledge of all the atoms which make up a particle accelerator, our knowledge is extremely precise within the framework of the precision necessary to make a particle accelerator.

The human brain is susceptible to what I like to call "Intellectual Vertigo." That's when we think about something on a scale that's difficult for our human sized perception to deal with, and the immensity of it makes our brains boggle. There's nothing wrong with it. It's natural. However, I object to using the boggle as a justification for abandoning what we know works on a more managable intellectual plane.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I don't believe in anything

I don't believe in anything supernatural - and realize some people have a problem with the term itself - however, I really can't see an acceptable substitute. I would describe "supernatural" as anything that defies the laws of science - therefore ghosts and gods would qualify, though aliens wouldn't (they supposedly have advanced science, but don't violate known science) and neither would "cryptozoology" like Bigfoot (as far as I know are just unknown creatures that violate no known biologicaq/physical law) - also note I neither believe in bigfoot-type creatures or alien visitation of Earth.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hamby - I'm not disparaging

Hamby - I'm not disparaging what we do know, just boggled by the amount of data in the universe that will forever be inaccessible to us. Are capacity for abstracting the essentials serves us remarkably well. But it is still a tiny fraction of what is "out there". I like your term "Intellectual Vertigo". For me, at least, it is that sense of bogglement that keeps things interesting. Without being boggled once in awhile, we might stop asking questions. That would be painfully boring for me. Call me a cognitive bungee jumper. I like the virtigo.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
I thought there were only

I thought there were only ten Dimensions, But then again i'm basing my whole knowledge on a spikedhumor video...
http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/74436/The_Tenth_Dimension.html
Im not very science oriented so if im wrong please correct me

Really in my opinion though there is no supernatural, there is the explained and the to be explained either way some time down the road everything will eventually be explained.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Shaitian wrote: I thought

Shaitian wrote:
I thought there were only ten Dimensions

Ten + time 

mrjonno
User is offlineOffline
Something that is observed

Something that is observed (hence the natural bit) but can never be explained no matter how long you study it (super + faith ).

AdamTM
AdamTM's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Shaitian wrote:
I thought there were only ten Dimensions

Ten + time 

Actually it can be up to 26 as posed in a certain variant of the String Theory.

But who counts :P

@ the supernatural

It simply doesnt exist, since everything that exists is natural.

Later, AdamTM
- I'm the guy that gets called when the other guy is not around-
- I didnt feel the love! ...Wait...was that something? ...no, no its gone -
TWATWAFFLE FOREVER