Pats vs Baltimore, what a cliffhanger!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pats vs Baltimore, what a cliffhanger!

Ok, just to take a post off the issue of religion and also to show that atheists can like some of the same thing Christians do.

I know that there ARE, suprise suprise, BOTH ATHEISTS AND THEISTS who love the battle on the feild. Last night's game that went down to the wire is an example of why NFL fans are NFL fans.

I encorage both atheists and theists to post in this thread commenting on that game. I am sure Raven's fans didnt like the outcome and probibly feel cheated. But the axiom in any sport is the same, "it aint over untill it is over".

What blew me away was the Pats ability to take a 4th down and turn it into a first down. I think they deffenately got help from the Raven's penalties. Never in my history of watching football, although I am sure it has happend before, have I ever seen a kickoff that started beyond the 50 yardline. That was weird to say the least. But even after all that to see the Ravens come 2 yards short of winning with no time left, almost made me feel sorry for them because they kept up with a team that was favord to beat them.

Bottem line was, I love a close game, when my team isnt playing, and this game lived up to the excitement fans love to see. It was a slugfest all the way to the end.

Did anyone watch the game besides me? Christians especially are encoraged to comment on the game. But the focus is this particular game, and the love of the sport in general.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
The big problem I keep

The big problem I keep seeing is that they let the Patriots have all those extra players for their team on the field (the ones wearing the striped uniforms.)

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: The big

MattShizzle wrote:
The big problem I keep seeing is that they let the Patriots have all those extra players for their team on the field (the ones wearing the striped uniforms.)

Oh come on now, I doubt it was a zebra consperacy at all. People can justly claim that reffs make bad calls. But that is a human being a human. I wouldnt read anything into their calls other than you thought they made good calls or bad calls.

I have seen pleanty of bad calls that went in favor of the Redskins, as a fan. I still was objective to say, "Yea, that favored my team, but it was still a bad call". I wouldnt accuse the reffs in that case of favoring the skins.

The Ravens had pleanty of non-penalty plays late in the game on 4th down to stop them and would of won the game. But they didnt stop them.

Fans always falsely accuse reffs in many sports of bias, and very rarely is that the case. Reffs make good calls and bad calls, that doesnt automatically make them bias, it merely makes them human.

I think when the stakes were as high as they were last night you could make the case that the pressure was on them that may have made them make a bad call.

I often see reffs call "roughing the passer" in the NFL and it seems to be called way too frequently for my taste. Sometimes when I watch the replay I think to myself that the defensive guy had no time to back off. So the only reason I think the call is made is economic, quarterbacks are expensive and the reff might have bias to protect, not a particuar team, but protect the NFL as a whole from expenses that an injury may cost to the leauge.

I wouldnt read anything into last nights calls. The Ravens as I said, had pleanty of non-penalty plays that could have ended that game. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Pats were very lucky,

The Pats were very lucky, and the Ravens had one of the worst end-of-game collapses I've ever seen. It was pathetic.

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can only imagine what it

I can only imagine what it would have been like had the Pats done an onside kick and recovered. Probably a fake kneel-down into a Hail Mary.

Think about it - what better situation to onside kick than when kicking from your opponent's own 35 because of a bunch of bonehead penalties they made after your touchdown? You'd start from their 25!

/suck it, British "football"

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want to know if the

I want to know if the dumbass guy on the ravens who called timeout on 4th and 1 still has a job. He sure wouldn't if I owned the team. (Not that I would own the Ravens even if I had enough money.) The Ravens deserved to lose for that stupidity alone.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
It always seems the Patriots

It always seems the Patriots get tons of bad calls in their favor every year. Remember the "Tuck rule" debacle against the Raiders? If the games were called right, they would have definitely had one or 2 less Superbowl wins, and definitely would have lost that game.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

Little Roller U...
Superfan
Little Roller Up First's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I want

Beyond Saving wrote:
I want to know if the dumbass guy on the ravens who called timeout on 4th and 1 still has a job. He sure wouldn't if I owned the team. (Not that I would own the Ravens even if I had enough money.) The Ravens deserved to lose for that stupidity alone.

The time out was called from the sideline by one of the coaches, the defensive coordinator I think. 

Good night, funny man, and thanks for the laughter.

Roisin Dubh
Roisin Dubh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Little Roller Up First

Little Roller Up First wrote:

Beyond Saving wrote:

The time out was called from the sideline by one of the coaches, the defensive coordinator I think.

Correct.  Rex Ryan, Baltimore's def. coordinator, called the timeout because he didn't want his defense to get caught out of position as NE was going to the no-huddle quick snap.  It was the right call, even though it didn't work in hindsight.  

"The powerful have always created false images of the weak."

SamTanner
Blogger
SamTanner's picture
User is offlineOffline
I would say that

I would say that zebra a conspiracy, while not likely, could not be ruled out. The fans want to see stuff like an undefeated season, or a the reserrection of Jordan to an NBA finals (i.e. Lebron James) The fact that this was a major game most certainly did have an effect on the reff's judgement. Sure they were nervous. And I'd go along with that explanation before anything else. With regards to the pass interference call, the rule book states that the defensive player has as much a right to the ball as the offensive player. And I don't think his path was obstructed seeing how they were both going for the ball.

bdstrohl
High Level Donor
bdstrohl's picture
User is offlineOffline
Packers are gonna pwn the

Packers are gonna pwn the Pats in the Super Bowl...thats all I gotta say about that  Smiling

jmm
Theist
jmm's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Ravens are getting their

The Ravens are getting their asses handed to them by the Colts right now.  I love it.