I'm watching "Ghost Hunters" on Sci-Fi...

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm watching "Ghost Hunters" on Sci-Fi...

Wow. Obviously I don't believe in ghosts, so it's bizarre to watch people who absolutely do. They talk as if ghosts are a given. Weird. I believe there may be strange "manifestations" that have a perfectly reasonable explanation. Most "manifestations" are people's minds playing tricks on them. I also am open to the idea that some kind of phenomenon exists that we cannot yet measure using scientific equipment. The idea of scenes from the past playing out in shadow form is insupportable (no evidence), but I'm sure it such a thing happens, science will be able to explain it. I know nothing about quantum physics...or any other kind of physics. But it's interesting to speculate on what kind of weird phenomenon could have a perfectly natural explanation. (Of course, I'd need proof that anything weird was actually happening, first.) Regardless, the least likely explanation is that dead people are "haunting" houses. There's absolutely no reason to believe we continue in any form after we die. Still, I sometimes enjoy weird shows like this. I liked the X-Files back in the day, but I've become much more of a skeptic since then. Speculation is fine, but proof is needed when we're talking about extraordinary events. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
I enjoy the show because

I enjoy the show because they actually investiage the places using the same tools, rarely using other mediums. They're very consistant and concise in their investigations which give them a form of credibility in regards to any odd phenomena that happens.

Since they started they have gone from thinking orbs are ghosts to dismissing the entire thing. They've also started to debunk a lot of the EVP stuff as well.

They've also said in the show that there really is no proof for ghosts, just heresay stories about them and odd phenomena that can't be explained with their grasp of how the world works. Although they do call some places haunted, they use the term very loosely.

I think if the show were on another channel the entire mood of it would change. Instead of a 'ooo we don't know so it must be haunted' approach that they seem to be weening away from, we'd see more of a 'we can't explain the weird phenomena".

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: I enjoy

CrimsonEdge wrote:

I enjoy the show because they actually investiage the places using the same tools, rarely using other mediums. They're very consistant and concise in their investigations which give them a form of credibility in regards to any odd phenomena that happens.

Since they started they have gone from thinking orbs are ghosts to dismissing the entire thing. They've also started to debunk a lot of the EVP stuff as well.

They've also said in the show that there really is no proof for ghosts, just heresay stories about them and odd phenomena that can't be explained with their grasp of how the world works. Although they do call some places haunted, they use the term very loosely.

I think if the show were on another channel the entire mood of it would change. Instead of a 'ooo we don't know so it must be haunted' approach that they seem to be weening away from, we'd see more of a 'we can't explain the weird phenomena".

Interesting.  I guess I haven't seen enough episodes to really form a solid opinion about the show.  The episode I watched tonight had a lady who was "sensitive" to the paranormal, so it triggered my bullshit detector. Eye-wink  Oh sweet Jesus, this lady thinks she senses spirit!  Laughing out loud

I think it's human nature to be curious about the unknown.  I have to admit I am open-minded about some things currently unexplained.  Obviously, I think there's a scientific explanation, but it's possible there's a lot of really strange shit going on we don't know about.

I'm re-reading a book by Sean Carroll entitled The Making of the Fittest.  He explains in layman's terms how evolution occurs but even so, I find it utterly riveting.  The study of DNA has explained a huge mystery and we're learning more every day.  Because I don't know as much as the author it still seems a bit mysterious.  I'm sure even the scientists feel that way about things they don't yet know.

Humans are incurably curious...actually, that's not true.  Religion seems to cure curiosity, at least about things that are settled by scripture.  To me it's much more wondrous to see the natural world as it truly is, how it has evolved over a couple of billion years.  The sense of wonder and awe I get while studying paleontology or evolution makes my Christian years seem incredibly dull: accept what you're taught and never question.

Well, I'm willing to question some of this paranormal stuff to find out what's going on (if anything).  Another confession: There seems to be some evidence for bigfoot that is based on solid science: dermal ridges (finger / palm prints) for example.  Some recent analysis of the infamous Patterson film seems to point to the conclusion that the creature may have been real.  The show was called Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science.  A bunch of real scientists were given physical evidence and asked to give their answers.  Most of them concluded there may be something to the idea of bigfoot.

On the other hand, some of the actions of the BFRO (Bigfoot Research Organization) have made me wonder if they might not be fabricating evidence.  They put together "expeditions" and charge quite a bit.  There have been some pretty convenient sightings at these expeditions that have made me raise my eyebrows.

Hmmmph.

I'll keep an open mind, but until there's definitive proof, I'll remain skeptical. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.