4 hours have passed..

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
4 hours have passed..

Since my last cigarette! Im getting kind of dizzy and really having trouble focusing on what people are saying to me. Between me and the wife we spend cloe to $300 a month just on smoking! Thats like having another car payment! Its madness! Anyway. I need to quit. I will be counting the hours here for everyone to see my progress. So all of you encourage me and threaten to kill me if I smoke! Or something.

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
i used to smoked for about

i used to smoked for about 7 years and quit about 5 years ago.  i still get a craving once in a while but other than that it's awesome.

congrats for the 4 hours!  it may not seem like a lot but it is an accomplishment!

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now, I don't know this for

Now, I don't know this for certain, but I hear that cherry kool-aid spiked with heroin will really take the edge off a nicotine addiction.  After the $4000 per month heroin addiction, the cigarettes will seem like a steal.  Smiling  Just trying to help.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
HAH! I did read that

HAH! I did read that nicotine is as addictive as heroin. I dont know if thats true. Dont even remember where I read it. All I know is im tired of being broke. This shit has got to go. Fuck the marlboro man.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I used to have dreams that

I used to have dreams that I was smoking after I quit.  It was really weird. 

Congrats on the four hours!  Just take it one day at a time.  Oh, and try to avoid any triggers if possible.  Easier said than done, of course.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Im pretty sure i can do

Im pretty sure i can do this. Its just weird to realize how natural smopking has become for me. Sometimes I stand up suddenly like I have somewhere to go and have no idea what Im doing. I then realize I was probably on my way to have a smoke. Its kind of crazy realizing that I never normally think about it. I just go do it.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wait until you find yourself

Wait until you find yourself trying to smoke random things, like pens or straws.  The best advice that I ever got for smoking was to change my routines.  Smoking is a habit after all. 

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good luck! Both of my

Good luck! Both of my parents quit smoking, the secret to their success: Toothpicks and coffee stir sticks. They would put those in their mouth instead of the cigarette...chew on them...it worked for them, maybe it could work for you?  Laughing

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey man, I just wanted you

Hey man, I just wanted you to know that I just smoked a cigar, and it was delicious.  I thought about you and took an extra deep inhale in your honor. Eye-wink

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
thanks for the

thanks for the encouragement?

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just teasing.  Although, we

Just teasing.  Although, we are a hunted species, the smoker.  I think we are hated more than murderers.  Non-smokers look at a smoker like we just lit a baby up.

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Just teasing.

Nero wrote:
Just teasing. Although, we are a hunted species, the smoker. I think we are hated more than murderers. Non-smokers look at a smoker like we just lit a baby up.

OOOoo so have we found a type of person that is hated more then an 'atheist'  Laughing

"Oh those smokers are baby eaters" 

I never started smoking. My whole family did at one time, even my husband did in High School.  I know it is hard to quit, I have seen people go through it.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Just teasing. 

Nero wrote:
Just teasing.  Although, we are a hunted species, the smoker.  I think we are hated more than murderers.  Non-smokers look at a smoker like we just lit a baby up.

I do kind of feel like a traitor trying to get away from the smokers. But I gotta do it.6 hours down now. I cant wait to get home and just pass out until tomorrow. Sticking out tongue

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Well, since by lighting up

Well, since by lighting up around others you are endagering their lives and health...

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: Well,

MattShizzle wrote:
Well, since by lighting up around others you are endagering their lives and health...

*blows a cloud of thick, blue smoke and rolls his eyes*

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: MattShizzle

Nero wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

*blows a cloud of thick, blue smoke and rolls his eyes*

Even when I have rid myself of this habit I will still roll my eyes at comments like that. Just put on a gas mask everytime you leave your house because theres a whole lot of stuff out therejust as bad or worse then a cigarette. Thats overreacting to say you are endangering someones life because that happened to inhale some of your smoke. Jeez you poor fuckin smokers. If you light up in public someone might have you put away for attempted murder.

Im only quitting for financial reasons. Wink

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
So by that logic it's ok to

So by that logic it's ok to drive 80 miles an hour through residential areas drunk because there are things more dangerous than that?

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
I guess it would be if

I guess it would be if everytime you got hit by a car it shortened your life by a few seconds slowly draining your life away over years then I guess yes people that enjoyed getting ran over by cars should be free to do it as they please.Cars can kill instantly, Guns can kill instantly. A cigarette does not.  Any more questions on my logic sir?

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't mind smoking. 

I don't mind smoking.  What I do mind are inconsiderate smokers.  Everyone smoker isn't like this but I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.  I don't want people blowing their smoke in my face when I'm eating or turning my backyard into an ash tray.  Littering is nasty regardless of whether it's a cigarette butt or a coke can. 

I had a party about 6 months ago and smokers decided to light up in my garage.  I would have preferred they didn't but the door was open so it wasn't a major deal.  However when we were cleaning up the next day I noticed several people put out their butts on my garage floor.  (You know, because at a party there's only a couple hundred empty beer bottles they could have used. grrr )  It was painted so we had to wash it - after we swept up all the butts of course.  This is the shit that really pisses me off and makes me wish I could replace all the "thank you for not smoking" signs with "thank you for not littering" ones.

I live in tobacco country and some of these idiots that want to ban smoking don't realize the HUGE amount of cigarette taxes that go towards our public schools.  

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Of course you make a good

Of course you make a good point Shelley. YOu have to be respectful in almost everything you do. There is always someone that may not like what your doing. I made sure to not smoke in any non smokers houses or there vehicles. Even aorund my smoker friends I would ask them if it was ok to light up in there vehicle. 

There will probably be a time when I think the smell of smoke is disgusting. Sure I can have the opinion. But really it seems it would be my responsibilty to avoid clouds of smoke if I was that upset by it.

ummm..forgot what I was saying..anyway...11 hours down so far! The withdraws feel pretty weird. Sort of a dizzy weightless feeling. But the good news is my sense of smell is already coming back and this freakin bacon taste delicious! They say people quitting smoking normally gain weight..I really understand it now.  

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congrats on the

Congrats on the progress!

Are you in a locale that has banned smoking in restaurants? If not, you may have to lay off going out to eat for a while (even though your added monthly income could allow you to.)

-Triften 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace

AbandonMyPeace wrote:

ummm..forgot what I was saying..anyway...11 hours down so far! 

Way to go!  Perhaps you could get a jar and put all the money you would have spent on cigarettes that day in the jar each night.  I don't mean you should do this forever but maybe the first few weeks it would help motivate you.  Just an idea. 

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Oh yeah. No smoking anywhere

Oh yeah. No smoking anywhere in this town. I can go anywhere I want now and laugh at those stupid fuckin smokers that have to stand outside in the cold now! HAH! Tongue out The hardest part is work. I work with a guy that wants to smoke all the time and if you tell him you dont want to smoke he says "WHy the fuck dont you want to go smoke? are you a pussy? whats the fuck is wrong with you!" then he normally kicks something and makes alot of noise. I think he might be just a bit out of his damn mind. Its hard to deal with being yelled at by a crazy person when your trying to get off the smokes. Laughing

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
I never have smoked, and I

I never have smoked, and I don't plan on starting.

Perhaps cigarette addiction is kind of like theism?

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Apokalipse wrote: Perhaps

Apokalipse wrote:

Are you going to explain what that even means?

24 hours down...

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
Apokalipse wrote:

Are you going to explain what that even means?

24 hours down...

I think he was talking about cigarettes and theism being addictive and it came out wrong.

Reminds me of a small line in a Cheech & Chong sketch:

"Before I found the Lord I was all messed up on drugs. Then I found the Lord and now I'm all messed up on the Lord!"

Congrats on the day plus! 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Apokalipse wrote: Perhaps

Apokalipse wrote:

This statement is starting to make sense now after letting the smoke cloud clear from my head.

48 hours down now.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: 48

AbandonMyPeace wrote:

48 hours down now.

Wow!  Good Job, keep it up. 

ABx
User is offlineOffline
I heard recently on a

I heard recently on a science podcast that they are finding that when people enter a "commitment bond", where they give the people some money and only get it back if they don't smoke, that it significantly raises the success rate. Sorry I didn't find this thread earlier, but perhaps something like that could help?

Anyway, keep it up. I know it's hard, so it's admirable. I need to quit myself someday soon.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
I have tried so many time to

I have tried so many time to quit. This time has been really easy. Im almost through the hard part. I had the idea of making this thread so people would tell me not to smoke. Shelley has been cheering for me every day. I would hate to come back and dissapoint her. Wink Still going strong. At 59 hours right now. They say the first 72 is the hardest. Surprised

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
I applaud your efforts. 

I applaud your efforts.  However, I must admit that I have mixed feelings.  Encouraging a smoker to quit is akin to going to wedding in my view.  At both events, part of who I am disappears in someone else.  At the wedding, a bachelor dies.  He awakens into the semi-hellish state of marriage.  Likewise, when a smoker stops smoking, a non-smoker awakens.  So, I always feel a little nauseous whenever I hear someone is going to to either. 

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: I applaud your

Nero wrote:
I applaud your efforts. However, I must admit that I have mixed feelings. Encouraging a smoker to quit is akin to going to wedding in my view. At both events, part of who I am disappears in someone else. At the wedding, a bachelor dies. He awakens into the semi-hellish state of marriage. Likewise, when a smoker stops smoking, a non-smoker awakens. So, I always feel a little nauseous whenever I hear someone is going to to either.

I understand. It feels like Im losing my best friend. My little smoking buddy has gone everywhere with me for the last 10 years. He has been with me through everything. My friend is gone but I must move on. Wink

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well done AMP! I don't

Well done AMP!

I don't really care if people smoke or not, but I do recall a couple of months ago when you posted about your financial situation. I don't believe you mentioned at the time that you and the missus were blowing $300/month on smokes! I would have sent a virtual slap your way if you had.

I hope you take some (if not all) of the money you're saving and make extra payments each month toward your high-interest car loan. You need to get that monkey off your back.

Is the wife quitting as well? If not, by my math, you'll only be saving $150/month...

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
Yes she is quitting with me.

Yes she is quitting with me. Quite a memory you have. I have actually been waiting for someone to call me on this. I needed help with money and then in a thread after that I defended the benefits of smoking. My hypocrisy knows no bounds sometimes. Wink

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Likewise, when a

Quote:
Likewise, when a smoker stops smoking, a non-smoker awakens.
Is there something wrong with that?

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
I always hear people say

I always hear people say that the first 72 hours is the worst! So I guess that means the hardest part is over now! Laughing

Randalllord
Rational VIP!
Randalllord's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trying to quit? Call

Trying to quit? Call Quitters, Inc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quitters,_Inc.

Seriously, wishing you well. 

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Apokalipse

Apokalipse wrote:
Quote:

If you read the entire post the quote comes from, you'll find the answer to your question. 

Sometimes, you can arrive without travelling.  Smiling

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
It has been 7 days since I

It has been 7 days since I have had any smoke or nicotine.... Surprised

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: It

AbandonMyPeace wrote:

Awesome!  That's about $5.75 now (at $300/year).  It's adding up!  Hopefully you have less of a craving now too?! 

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: I

AbandonMyPeace wrote:
I always hear people say that the first 72 hours is the worst! So I guess that means the hardest part is over now! Laughing

Just take it one day at a time.  My 7th week was utter hell, personally.  lol.  It all depends.  You're doing great though!  They say if you can make it the first week, you should be golden.

Apokalipse
Apokalipse's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Apokalipse

Nero wrote:

Apokalipse wrote:
Quote:

If you read the entire post the quote comes from, you'll find the answer to your question.

Sometimes, you can arrive without travelling. Smiling

I did read your post. It hints that you don't necessarily think it's good, but without a reason as to why. Which is why I asked about it.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:
AbandonMyPeace wrote:

Awesome!  That's about $5.75 now (at $300/year).  It's adding up!  Hopefully you have less of a craving now too?! 

Heh. If it was only costing me $300 a year I would probably not even notice. It was actually closer to $300 per month with me and the wife both smoking. Yell

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: I did read your

Quote:
I did read your post. It hints that you don't necessarily think it's good, but without a reason as to why. Which is why I asked about it.

Your friend gets married and you're happy for him obviously.  However, he's not your single pal that used to go to the game with you and moon everyone with his team color painted rear end after you two finished a case of beer.  Of couse, you're still at the game.

I think Nero's saying he's a smoker and while he's happy for AMP  there's one less smoker out there. 

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

Quote:

Your friend gets married and you're happy for him obviously.  However, he's not your single pal that used to go to the game with you and moon everyone with his team color painted rear end after you two finished a case of beer.  Of couse, you're still at the game.

I think Nero's saying he's a smoker and while he's happy for AMP  there's one less smoker out there. 

Shelley,

I am about to offer you some serious cash to act as an interpreter between myself and the rest of humanity.  That is exactly the thrust of the comment.

I'm goingto go smoke a celebratory cigar.

AbandonMyPeace
User is offlineOffline
This post marks 2 weeks! I

This post marks 2 weeks! I win!

Vessel
Vessel's picture
User is offlineOffline
AbandonMyPeace wrote: This

AbandonMyPeace wrote:

This post marks 2 weeks! I win!

Congratulations. I quit almost a year ago after smoking for over twenty years. The difference in the way I feel physically is amazing. I never realized when I was smoking the effect it was having on me because I had nothing to reference the way I felt against. Now that I've quit I feel ten years younger. If you have been smoking for any amount of time you will see what I mean after a few months.

Anyway, enjoy the extra years of life you have just given yourself.   

“Philosophers have argued for centuries about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, but materialists have always known it depends on whether they are jitterbugging or dancing cheek to cheek" -- Tom Robbins

Paxmax
User is offlineOffline
Quit smokin

Hey! Good for you!! Keep it up and you'll be giving yourself one hell of a pat on yer own back now and further down the road!

Great job!

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence -Bertrand Russel
The downside of knowledge is as you learn more you will soon realize how little you actually know.

Bjxrn
User is offlineOffline
The hardest part for me

The hardest part for me when i Quit smoking was not the first 72 hours it was the first few months after that when I was around other people that smoked and I started to convince myself that I could have just one ciggarette, and I almost fell for that. The rule HAS to be that you can not have any more nicotine in your life, ever. Your mind will try to fool you into smoking, dont let it.

I quit a year ago, and I still have that feeling when I go to parties. I dreamt just a few nights ago that I was in a store and bought ciggaretts. I also almost bought a pack for real just a few weeks ago, just out of old habbit i reached for them, but I snaped out of it before i bought them.