One of the Funniest Things I Have Ever Seen

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
One of the Funniest Things I Have Ever Seen

This is from the San Francisco Folsom Street Fair, where a direct satire of the Last Supper is portrayed by the LBGT community:

The Christian response has been quite predictable:

This year, "Perverts Without Morals" chose to deliberately mock Jesus Christ, Christians and The Last Supper, by depicting half naked homosexuals, leather men and women as the 12 Apostles, and display sex toys in place of the bread and wine.

A bloody fist can be seen in front of the central figure portraying Jesus Christ, possibly representing the vile sex act of "fisting" - where one's fist is fully inserted into another individual's anal cavity.

There is no doubt a double standard when Christians and Christianity are mocked by homosexuals and degenerates in such a blatant, vile and sick way. Where is the media outrage over this event? We Christians will no longer tolerate this abuse nor be silent. Bennett ended, "I call upon the homosexual Human Rights Campaign, GLAAD, GLSEN, and the Gay and Lesbian Task Force to publicly condemn this blatant mockery of Christians and Christianity by some within their community, and condemn this sick public display of immoral behavior. I call upon the Miller Brewing Company to pull their endorsement of this event. I call for the organizers of this filth to immediately apologize to Christians worldwide and remove this Last Supper mockery. I also call upon every law abiding official and citizen in America who has any morals to do what they can to shut down this Folsom Street 'Filth' Fair once and for all."

Now that we have finished laughing, I want to add some of my own thoughts.

Firstly, the Christians want an apology. This is fair. Perhaps we can have an exchange of apologies, that would be great. One in which the Christian community apologizes to the LBGT one for 2,000 years of violent, brutal oppresion, crackdown, torture and murder of anyone whose sexual orientation was seen as a deviation of "nature".

Then, the LBGT community can apologize for...making fun of a painting.

Wait...

Secondly, note the following:

Christian fascists have no qualms about censoring anyone who disagrees with or mocks their beliefs. Under the desired system of the new American Christocracy, such would be illegal anyway. It would seem to me that apart from Islam (whose critics have a tendancy to end up in small pieces), Christianity is the only group to react in such a way to satire. Especially noteworthy is the rabid Phil Donahue and the Catholic Anti-Defamation league. It is noteworthy that while ADF leagues are usually in place to protect minorities and other targeted groups from persecution, the Catholic ADF represents the largest and most powerful group on the planet, 1.1 billion Catholics. At any rate, the point is that everyone else seems to tolerate their beliefs being made fun of, by which I mean that I do not lie awake at night wondering if a Jain is going to bomb my house.

Thirdly, I wish to express my disgust for this new Brownshirt-style conservative authoritarianism, whereby "Christian values" are somehow equivocated with "inherently moral", at the expense, of course, of...everyone else. I am quite forcibly remined of an Orwellian prose, where, in 1984, one of the facets of Newspeak was to control thought by means of an internal contradiction present in the mere thought of criticizing Big Brother, because "Big Brother" and "good" were synonomous in Newspeak, one could not speak of Big Brother being "ungood" (again, per newspeak) because all that Big Brother did was maximally good and perfect. An internal contradiction arose if one merely thought about Big Brother not being "good". The idea did not exist in the Ingsoc society. Truly, how can this level of insanity exist in a society which calls itself democratic?

People need to take note of this movement which has encapsulated millions of Americans. It is a world divorced from reality, where feelings and facts are interchangeable, where authoritarian dictat can control thought in a manner that reminds me of the abuse of the Catholic Church by Mussolini's Italy (In the Lateran Pacts of 1929, and the Concordat, Mussolini made a deal with the Pope that in exchange for the church being the mouthpiece of fascism, the state would be the mouthpiece of the Church. If the Catholic Church spread fascist ideology to its lower echelons and brainwashed its subjects, the state would fall in line with the Church by banning contraception and abortion, making Catholic Religious education mandatory, and preaching conservative Catholic values in school textbooks). It is a movement of frighteningly childish beliefs, of magic spells and demons, and angels and Satan and heaven and hell, of chanting and praying and just believing with a Huxleyian Epsilon quo. None of these people believe this quid qualia absurdum, they actually think it is fact.

Do we wish for such a gag to be bound around our freedom of action, indeed our most sacroscant freedom of thought itself? If not, then we shall resist this. This is not a religious issue so much as it is a political issue. "Religion" is not important to the ideologies of far-right Colteresque Evangelism or Islamic Fascism, "religion" is merely the vehicle for the higher echelons to promote an ideology that is deeply fascist in nature (I am not using "fascist" in the confusing left wing sense where "fascist" is equivocated with anything "bad". I actually know what fascist means). This has parallels in history which stretch back into the eons. Why cannot we learn from it?

Basic History of Politics and Government 101: What is Fascism?

Although extremely difficult to pin down, fascism in broad stroke is a movement which usually associates itself with the following characteristics

-Despising democracy, generally highly authoritarian. Other political parties, or facets of the democratic system such as election and democratic Parliment and non-existent. Mostly one-party states.

-Ultra-nationalist, extremely jingoist. When not rallying around a flag of patriotism, fascism usually finds itself being fed into the political system by means of another vehicle which strongly unites people. Religion is one such tool (Iran is a notable example)

-Usually a tool of the corporate conglomerates. Often, the significant base of support for a dictator in the fascist regime is the industrial elite, where a far-right wing economy would benefit them. Due to the fact that the two are often bedfellows, fascism is often associated with the shutting down of trade unions, and the destruction of organized labour parties(Do not interpret this as a left-wing comment, I am merely offering my observations based on drawing parallel between Hitler's Germany and Mussolini's Italy)

-Uses some ideological vehicle as a brainwashing tool to keep the masses docile, or in some cases, rally them for war, stirring up hatred against some opposing group based on this ideology which is often the foundation of fascist extreme jingoism, or in this case, religiosity. It is interesting to note that Falwell actively condoned keeping American nuclear assets trained on the Middle east, in celebration of the undoubtable Second Coming that would result from the annihlation.

-Fascism is often highly militaristic, and emphasizes military and imperial conquest, and we often find fascist states engaged in war or conquer. As a result, fascism usually emphasizes uniformity, and attempts to destroy the idea of individualism and that an entity exists only to serve the state.

You will find, as I do not think I need to tell you, that the Americo-Christocracy has all of these characteristics. These thugs have found their vehicle of ideology, all right, they found it in the pages of the Bible...

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Wait.... Jesus was

Wait.... Jesus was black!?! Oh noes!!!

*conservative America explodes* 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wish I didn't live in a

I wish I didn't live in a place where my laughter was immediately replaced by anger when I see stuff like this.

It's damn funny, yet I'm mad because of the bullshit attached to it.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx

Archeopteryx wrote:

Actually, according to the photo, Jesus is a Gay, Black Guy... with a sex toy and leather fetish... (and for all intents and purposes, he might as well be atheist)

What does that do to the conservative American now? ^_^

What Would Kharn Do?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx

double post

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: It's

Hambydammit wrote:

I have to laugh.  It's the only thing that keeps me from crying. 

MrRage
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:
Hambydammit wrote:

I have to laugh. It's the only thing that keeps me from crying.

Sometimes I don't think there's that much of a difference between laughing and crying.

AloneAtheist
User is offlineOffline
Speaking of conservative

Speaking of conservative America, has anyone been to "Conservapedia" the conservative online enyclopedia? its a riot!

http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
AloneAtheist

AloneAtheist wrote:

Speaking of conservative America, has anyone been to "Conservapedia" the conservative online enyclopedia? its a riot!

http://www.conservapedia.com/Main_Page

The first thing I searched on this site was "homosexuality."  Then I promptly threw up.

Well, not really, but I wanted to. 

Iruka Naminori
atheist
Iruka Naminori's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:
Archeopteryx wrote:

Actually, according to the photo, Jesus is a Gay, Black Guy... with a sex toy and leather fetish... (and for all intents and purposes, he might as well be atheist)

He also looks like he could tear your arms off.

Jax Wins...FATALITY. 

Books on atheism, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

dassercha
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Personally I'm sick of

Personally I'm sick of giving fundies anything more to get a "Persecution Complex" over. Here is yet another example. Just giving 'em more ammo...and seems a bit childish.

Denying the holy spirit cuts to the core of the issue--this, on the other hand...meh, another reason for them to hate "the gays" AND I can hear it now: "See, they're mocking Christ! Satan is behind this! Don't you ever talk to me about them 'being born that way'". Sigh.

(edited for clarity)

EDUCATION! EDUCATION! EDUCATION!

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meh, its childish to get

Meh, its childish to get offended by everything and push your beliefs on others. If anything, we need people to be more offensive when they go after religion so that people can see just how ridiculous these beliefs are.

They have no reason to hate gay people other than that their book tells them to. And this is a, in my opinion, very strong response from the LBGT community and I commend it.

Being PC is overrated.  

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I've had to defend my

I've had to defend my position more than once in advocating better representation for Asians in American media, so I think there's a bit of a formula we can apply when someone cries defamation. The question is, what percentage of representation does this defamatory thing constitute? If, for instance, a minority only ever appears in the media as a punch-line to a joke, or in some other negative context, it's more significant than if they appear often and in myriad ways. Another question to ask is how much of a minority they are (though there are a lot of Asians in California, for instance, the number is probably just over ten percent of the general population), because that will affect how much of the audience will have genuine information to draw on when faced with an overabundance of stereotypes. Given scant enough media representation, and scant enough actual knowledge in the populace, damaging stereotypes can be propagated.

Let's think about Christianity for a moment, and whether they get enough media coverage to counteract one poster... then let's think about whether there's enough of them in the general population to stop a pernicious stereotype... hmm... nope, doesn't apply. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Iruka Naminori wrote:
The Doomed Soul wrote:
Archeopteryx wrote:

Jax Wins...FATALITY.

Oh my not-god! Was that a reference to Eternal Champions for SEGA Genesis?!

My nerd-sense is tingling!!!! (unless Jax was a character in MK as well? I think this is a mixed reference... so make that double tingling!)

SEGA Genesis, by the way, is the superior Genesis. But I don't think that's a debate around here.

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

el.kundo
User is offlineOffline
AloneAtheist, thanks for

AloneAtheist, thanks for your link. Out of curiosity I searched for "evolution" on conservapedia. How little was I surprised to find pictures of stalin and hitler in the article Smiling

And this sentence:

Quote:

Also, for centuries the scientific community believed that snakes could not hear and the 1988 edition of The New Encyclopedia Britannica stated the snakes could not hear but that was mistaken and the Bible was correct in this matter.

Maybe in 2009 we'll find they hid their legs all the time and just didn't want to talk to us ^^

"And the only people I fear are those who never have doubts."
Billy Joel, 1993

And God spoke: You can stand under my umberella -ella -ella -eh -eh -eh ...

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
Archeopteryx wrote: Iruka

Archeopteryx wrote:
Iruka Naminori wrote:

Jax Wins...FATALITY.

Oh my not-god! Was that a reference to Eternal Champions for SEGA Genesis?!

My nerd-sense is tingling!!!! (unless Jax was a character in MK as well? I think this is a mixed reference... so make that double tingling!)

SEGA Genesis, by the way, is the superior Genesis. But I don't think that's a debate around here.

Bzzzzt!

I'm sorry, Archeopteryx. The answer was "Mortal Kombat 2". I'm going to have to deduct some of your VG fan points, but since you have a bit of the Psychonauts cover art as your avatar, we'll be gentle.

Smiling

-Triften

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Eternal Champions was the

Eternal Champions was the game with R.A.X. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge wrote: Eternal

CrimsonEdge wrote:

Eternal Champions was the game with R.A.X.

A very similar name. That may have been it.

EC also has a buff black guy in sunglasses, but his name is Blade (hmm... I smell intellectual property theft... likeness rights, anyone?)

I'm sad that I my old school gaming trivia failed me. But to be fair, I was never into the 1-on-1 fighting sorts of games. I suck at them to this day. Adventure games own all. Tim Schafer for the win.

I was tempted to wax 1337 in those last few sentences, but I really suck at it, and I didn't want to get lynched. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like this one:   

I like this one: 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Haha, that is a grand

Haha, that is a grand picture.