Anyone See House Last week? He is an Atheist

Bakrauf
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
Anyone See House Last week? He is an Atheist

Its called- 97 

Not sure if this was already posted but I just watched it on my TIVO. It was awesome. House had a dying patient (stark)and he told him to stop praying becauses nobody was gogin to help him and that there was nothing out there but darkness. The other Dr. jumped his shit telling him "How can you tell someone that and take their hope away" House was like its better thanttalking to an invisible man. House belittles Stark’s belief in the beyond to Wilson. Misery, he says, it better than nothing. Stark eventually dies

Then this other guy comes  along and sticks a knife in a electric socket. Allmore tells House that he wasn’t trying to kill himself. He was only trying to re-experience the bliss of the 97 seconds he was technically dead caused by a car crash. House contemplates death and the afterlife in his office.

House eventuallly sticks the same knife inthe socket and dies for 97 secs. Once House recovers he goes to the morge at the end of the Show and looks at Stark and says"I hate to tell you, But I told you so" Show over.

I actually cant belive a episode like this was aloud to air. It's a giant leap forward for all non-belivers to have a show this popular tackle this  topic. CHECK IT OUT!!!

http://www.fox.com/house/recaps/ 

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
There have been more than

There have been more than that episode telling of his lack of belief.  There was that one as well as another one this season, and there was one last time if I remember correctly a kid who thought he was devinely gifted and there was some interesting conversations in that episode. 

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gizmo wrote: There have

Gizmo wrote:
There have been more than that episode telling of his lack of belief. There was that one as well as another one this season, and there was one last time if I remember correctly a kid who thought he was devinely gifted and there was some interesting conversations in that episode.

I love that episode, and I think it's even called "House vs. God."  Pretty cool title, and I'm fairly sure House wins. 

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
House has always been an

House has always been an atheist.  I could point out many more examples - like when he advised a rape victim to get an abortion but the point is, if you listen to the dialogue you can hear atheist references in every episode.

morsec0de
morsec0de's picture
User is offlineOffline
I love House, but

I love House, but unfortunately he is depicted as a miserable person who hates his life.

Which really supports how theists view us.

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy wrote: like

shelleymtjoy wrote:
like when he advised a rape victim to get an abortion but the point is, if you listen to the dialogue you can hear atheist references in every episode.

This is a little off-topic, but am I the only one that fucking loathed that episode?  That rape victim was played by a horrible actress, and though it sounds mean, I really hated that character.  At first I felt really sorry for her, but eventually, after I realized how obnoxious she was, I really didn't care what she had been through any more.  She was too annoying.  Ugh, I can't believe they devoted an entire episode to House havinga heart-to-heart with that awful girl. 

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm watching it at this

I'm watching it at this very second, commercial free

I did not know fox showed full episodes online

Anyway off topic, you can't kill yourself by sticking a knife in an electric socket

I'd love to have the "non-dangling" team treat me

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
morsec0de wrote: I love

morsec0de wrote:

I love House, but unfortunately he is depicted as a miserable person who hates his life.

I would be a little more inclined to see that if it weren't for his leg issue.  I think most who see that will realize its the leg not his theist (or lack of) beliefs.  However im sure theists will go "LOOK, thats how they all are." but at least it can be shown that no, there are other reasons hes like that.  

morsec0de
morsec0de's picture
User is offlineOffline
Right. But my point is,

Right. But my point is, theists will say..."See! His leg got hurt and he lost his faith! Atheists only exist because something bad happened to them!" 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
morsec0de wrote: Right.

morsec0de wrote:

Right. But my point is, theists will say..."See! His leg got hurt and he lost his faith! Atheists only exist because something bad happened to them!"

Yeah, but it's been made clear on a few occasions that he was no different after the whole leg thing than he was before it.

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
DrTerwilliker

DrTerwilliker wrote:

shelleymtjoy wrote:
like when he advised a rape victim to get an abortion but the point is, if you listen to the dialogue you can hear atheist references in every episode.

This is a little off-topic, but am I the only one that fucking loathed that episode? That rape victim was played by a horrible actress, and though it sounds mean, I really hated that character. At first I felt really sorry for her, but eventually, after I realized how obnoxious she was, I really didn't care what she had been through any more. She was too annoying. Ugh, I can't believe they devoted an entire episode to House havinga heart-to-heart with that awful girl.

I was a counselor for victims of sexual abuse for about 4 years so it's always been really difficult for me not to be on the side of the victim, but that girl *did* piss me off.  Although I'm sure most of it had to do with her just being a bad actress with equally bad lines.  Most people don't act like that IRL - at least not people I have come across. 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline

morsec0de wrote:

Well of course... as far as the OP being amazed they air this on TV we all know that's the real reason.

I have a disability and theists always blame my atheism on my disability.  I guess I knew 3 years ahead of time that I would become disabled because I have been in a wheelchair for 4 years but an atheist for 7+. 

Bakrauf
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
People will put the blame

People will put the blame on anything. Does it really matter what they think?

I find House to be very funny. He is a top notch smart ass who enjoys getting under peoples skin. I dont think he hates life all that much, rather he is just bored by it. Thats why he gets so into those funky cases, cause that cuts down on the boredom. 

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
House is awsome! I have seen

House is awsome! I have seen two episode indicating that he is an Atheist. One being that epsiode Gizmo said, ending with House 2 - God 3 I believe.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline

morsec0de wrote:

Wouldnt you fire a bank security guard with armed with an AK 47 if he failed to protect the the bank from a robber with a 22?

Wouldn't you fire a baby sitter who saw a child molester burst through the door and the babby sitter was "The Rock" and the molester was Pee Wee Herman?

Certainly that is not evidence that a god doesnt exist. But morally speaking it shows the contradiction of "all loving" while at the same time failing to stop bad things.

The towers go down in NY and God's only consolation is a parlor trick in the form of an I-beam cross? Forgive me, but I would trade that stupid cross for the 3,000 lives lost any day of the week.

What we are angry at is not a fictional being, but the lousy logic theists use to justify holding such absurdities as fact. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
New episode alert! Just

New episode alert!

Just watched the new episode last night, and House bashed the mormon dude so much that the mormon dude punched him in the face. Favorite quote of the movie:

House to Mormon: You're willing to accept an answer based on evolution?

Mormon to House: Yes.

House to Mormon: Hypocrite.

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Bakrauf
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
 Yes that was a great Show!

Yes that was a great Show! I think as Atheists we should get behind house. Watch this show and support it 100%. There are not to many shows out there with the balls to tackle this topic.  I wonder what his views are in Real life?

djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
User is offlineOffline
morsec0de wrote: I love

morsec0de wrote:

that's a valid point, but i've always tended to think that House is an atheist because he's too intelligent to be anything else. Eye-wink 

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bakrauf wrote: Yes that

Bakrauf wrote:
Yes that was a great Show! I think as Atheists we should get behind house. Watch this show and support it 100%. There are not to many shows out there with the balls to tackle this topic. I wonder what his views are in Real life?

No idea, but I did read in Parade Magazine that his character was modeled after Sherlock Homes. 

Bakrauf
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
found this   Both David

found this

Both David Shore (House creator/writer) and Hugh Laurie claim to be non-believers, indicating that the theme grounded in personal beliefs and will be ongoing. For those unfamiliar with the show, I should note that House is a brilliant medical diagnostician but a socially failed human being. He is a drug-addicted misanthrope who only wants to win against death. He offends everyone within hearing and has no care for the sensibility of others. This was by way of explanation that the character is not just challenging believers. He challenges the general view of all the isms of society on a constant basis.

some of the better quotes

Dr. Wilson (Robert Sean Leonard): And that's why religious belief annoys you. Because if the universe operates by abstract rules you can learn them, you can protect yourself. If a Supreme Being exists he can squash you any time he wants.

House MD (Hugh Laurie):
He knows where I am.

You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.

You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it is important to

I think it is important to note that Dr. House is not the only character on the show who is a non-believer. Dr. Cameron, who plays an upbeat optimist to contrast House's more mysanthropic side, is also an atheist.

zntneo
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: I

LosingStreak06 wrote:
I think it is important to note that Dr. House is not the only character on the show who is a non-believer. Dr. Cameron, who plays an upbeat optimist to contrast House's more mysanthropic side, is also an atheist.

She is also the one who cares about ethical issues. Which i think at lot of christians i knwo would be confused about. i mean "were do you get your morals from?" or "why be moral" is a common idioitic question i hear.