Christ = Turkeys

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christ = Turkeys

Okay, I've been pretty nice about the Christians and what they do at my workplace.  Today, however, I found out that we have an incentive for the next month and a half that will result in donating money to a Christian organization to buy Thanksgiving dinners for the poor.  Furthermore, we will be the ones to deliver the food.

First, I find poor people to be depressing.  There is nothing more oppressive to one's spirits than to be forced to breathe the same fetid air as those who have failed in laissez-faire capitalism.  Second, I don't want to give money through a religious organization.  We all know that these bastards will take their skim from the top.  Finally, what a shitty incentive!  Yeah, everyone bust your hump so the kid with scoliosis and malnutrition can see what the rest of the country eats all the time.  Woohoo!

At any rate, I do not plan on going along with this.  Just the thought of the smell of poor people makes me want to blow chunks.  This is why I don't live in a major city.  It is re-goddamned-diculous.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
If someone is down in the

If someone is down in the dumps,the best thing to do is to help them get back on their feel. People sometimes need a hand-up,not a hand-out.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Just the thought of

Quote:
Just the thought of the smell of poor people makes me want to blow chunks.

Just guessing you're not planning to run for public office in the near future...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nero wrote: Okay, I've

Nero wrote:

Okay, I've been pretty nice about the Christians and what they do at my workplace.  Today, however, I found out that we have an incentive for the next month and a half that will result in donating money to a Christian organization to buy Thanksgiving dinners for the poor.  Furthermore, we will be the ones to deliver the food.

First, I find poor people to be depressing.  There is nothing more oppressive to one's spirits than to be forced to breathe the same fetid air as those who have failed in laissez-faire capitalism.  Second, I don't want to give money through a religious organization.  We all know that these bastards will take their skim from the top.  Finally, what a shitty incentive!  Yeah, everyone bust your hump so the kid with scoliosis and malnutrition can see what the rest of the country eats all the time.  Woohoo!

At any rate, I do not plan on going along with this.  Just the thought of the smell of poor people makes me want to blow chunks.  This is why I don't live in a major city.  It is re-goddamned-diculous.

Charming as always, my dear.  Eye-wink  You're a cold, cold man, Nero. 

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Just the thought of the smell of poor people makes me want to blow chunks.

Just guessing you're not planning to run for public office in the near future...

Only if you mean the title Emperor of the Americas.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well I'm not quite that

Well I'm not quite that harsh - but I hear you.  I will no longer donate to a religious organization no matter what the hell they are doing with the money.  If I really support a cause, I'll find a way to contribute without involving an invisible friend.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
You could have some fun and

You could have some fun and deliver the turkey's nailed to a cross...

lgnsttefrst
User is offlineOffline
If you dislike the thought

If you dislike the thought of donating through a religious organization donate through a secular one. But then again, you have to want to donate in the first place Sticking out tongue

I guess you would hate my job, after doing the ambulance thing in the city for a while you get to know all the homeless guys and the drunks. Some of them are pretty cool, they just gave up on life and have numerous addictions which tie them down.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
lgnsttefrst wrote: If you

lgnsttefrst wrote:

If you dislike the thought of donating through a religious organization donate through a secular one. But then again, you have to want to donate in the first place Sticking out tongue

I guess you would hate my job, after doing the ambulance thing in the city for a while you get to know all the homeless guys and the drunks. Some of them are pretty cool, they just gave up on life and have numerous addictions which tie them down.

Yes, I would hate your job.  I am more interested in people who "fight like hell" through life rather than "give up" on it.  We could all curl up with a bottle rather than face reality.  Unfortunately, just because someone is interesting, doesn't mean that the person is valuable.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I would call most poor

I would call most poor people people who capitalism failed rather than people who failed at capitalism. If someone gave me a choice between eliminating either capitalism or religion from the world, it would be a very difficult choice for me.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle wrote: I would

MattShizzle wrote:
I would call most poor people people who capitalism failed rather than people who failed at capitalism. If someone gave me a choice between eliminating either capitalism or religion from the world, it would be a very difficult choice for me.

Are you serious?  I would totally choose religion.  Rational minds could always work out the flaws in our economic system. 

zarathustra
atheist
zarathustra's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beware Nero...the bolsheviks

Beware Nero...the bolsheviks are coming

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

Are you serious?  I would totally choose religion.  Rational minds could always work out the flaws in our economic system. 

Totally serious. At the very least I'd want things set up more like Western Europe - ie much more regulation of business, government run health care (the US system of corporate health care is an utter disaster), better social programs, etc.

Matt Shizzle has been banned from the Rational Response Squad website. This event shall provide an atmosphere more conducive to social growth. - Majority of the mod team

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MattShizzle

MattShizzle wrote:
shelleymtjoy wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:
I... If someone gave me a choice between eliminating either capitalism or religion from the world, it would be a very difficult choice for me.

Are you serious? I would totally choose religion. Rational minds could always work out the flaws in our economic system.

Totally serious. At the very least ...

I didn't mean "do you seriously think our economic system is f-ed up?".  I meant, "do you seriously think our economic problems are worse than religious ones?". 

shelley
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Beware

zarathustra wrote:

hey, i'm not a communist! 

qbg
User is offlineOffline
shelleymtjoy

shelleymtjoy wrote:

MattShizzle wrote:

The current structure of our society is based on capitalism much more than religion. Changing the structure of society is HARD. Therefore trying to dump capitalism is going to be harder than trying to dump religion. Therefore, it would be best to use the easy solution to get rid of the harder to get rid of problem.

"What right have you to condemn a murderer if you assume him necessary to "God's plan"? What logic can command the return of stolen property, or the branding of a thief, if the Almighty decreed it?"
-- The Economic Tendency of Freethought

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
qbg wrote: The current

qbg wrote:
The current structure of our society is based on capitalism much more than religion. Changing the structure of society is HARD. Therefore trying to dump capitalism is going to be harder than trying to dump religion. Therefore, it would be best to use the easy solution to get rid of the harder to get rid of problem.

I don't know, it seems to me that in America and Europe we've already gotten rid of about half of capitalism but religion has been around for thousands of years. I have a hard time considering any country where government officials spend 90% of their time deciding who to hand money out to as truly capitalist. Read Adam Smith.

I agree with Nero, even with our half-assed attempt at capitalism anyone who fails and then gives up in the American economic system is pretty disgusting. I've known some pretty stupid incompetents who can make very livable incomes. Going to people who have utterly failed and giving them a dinner isn't going to help. Getting those people to buy into religion will help less. They just need to go out into the world and get a job.

McDonalds is hiring $8.50/hour, they'll hire anyone even if you should be in the looney tunes section of the hospital. You can pray to the golden arches, eat ultra cheep and if you are capable of speaking in sentences you are management material!

If you are in REALLY bad shape you can become a Walmart greeter.

If you are in REALLY REALLY bad shape, you could become a priest or minister and get religious zealots to pay your bills.

If you are in REALLY REALLY REALLY bad shape, Nero might offer you a job as a museum exhibit in his new "Why I Hate The Poor" museum/zoo. ($1000 a person admission)

Or of course, you could claim to be Jesus Reborn and crazy people will flock to you.

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know, I had never

You know, I had never considered opening a zoo to exhibit the poor.  I guess I would have social workers as the zoo keepers.

We could keep the subjects in a simulation of their natural environments.  For the white trash, I could put in a trailer park.  For the urban poor, I could erect concrete apartment buildings resembling government projects.  For the elderly poor, I could put in a bad retirement home with a cafeteria serving bland food.  That might work.

So, the concept would be that you bring your children and show them what relying on the govrnment for survival gets them.  I would put up signs saying, "Please feed the poor.  No change.  They will only use it to buy booze or drugs."

The entire idea gives me a warm, Huxleyan glow.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
zarathustra wrote: Beware

zarathustra wrote:

No doubt.  The only people who are for the redistribution of wealth are those who haven't figured out how to get their own.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
I want 25% royalties for

I want 25% royalties for coming up with the idea.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: I want

Beyond Saving wrote:
I want 25% royalties for coming up with the idea.

How am I not surprised, Beyond Saving?  You strike me as the mercenary sort.  Should we start a Museum of Sloth as well?

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sure, and we should also

Sure, and we should also start a Museum of Communism to keep a few around and warn future generations against them.

Alongside that we could have the Museum of Fundies.

We could rule the museum industry.

Is there a lot of money in museums?

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Bakrauf
Bronze Member
User is offlineOffline
I do agree with you on one

I do agree with you on one part. I would not donate my money to any Christian organization. But what is the harm in helping the homeless? Hell any one of us could lose our jobs and be there next week.

I would do one of two things. IF I had to hand out food I would wear an atheist T-shirt and tell them that this food DOES NOT come from the lord it comes from caring people. Or I would not go at all and tell them that it is based on your beliefs. THEN Start your own Atheist Food drive for the Needy. As a group I think we need to reach out and help other people, which would change the image a lot of folks have of us being heathens. Tell them See I don't need a god or Jesus to help people in need.

Much as the same thing we do on national prayer day. Instead of sitting around on our asses praying for something to happen we go out and give blood. Take an active part your OWN way.

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
Shall we consider it, then,

Shall we consider it, then, that this thread has diverged into How to unfuck-up society? Right now, we are remarkably dysgenic. Right now, as Beyond Saving rightly pointed out in this brutally necessary MacNamarian fashion, that we are heading towards Idiocracy trends, which is to say that the our society promotes and encourages a generally downward trend in the population. Basic evolutionary biology. What survives and propogates in terms of genetics? Easy. That which reproduces the most and hence whose concentration increases in the pool by calculable rates of increase from F-1, to F-2 ad infinitum. So, our current trends would seem to dicate, and I shall be blunt with this...that our population is becoming...well, fatter, stupider, lazier, more religious (Evangelicals and their damn Christian duty to populate. We have enough people. In fact, we have far too many people)

In short, we are headed for a genetic quagmire headfuck with our species unless we reverse the equation. This is not genetic. Genes do not change this quickly. This is cultural. So how, then, do we unfuck that up? Ideas?

However, to inject optimism into the equation unless I am mistaken, this trend is a measure of the United States, which is highly anomolous for a developed nation.

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism