ANN COULTER...IS A PERFECTED JEW...ACCORDING TO...ANN COULTER

LeftofLarry
RRS local affiliateScientist
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
ANN COULTER...IS A PERFECTED JEW...ACCORDING TO...ANN COULTER

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/10/12/coulter-we-want-jews-to-be-perfected/#more-2471

October 12, 2007Coulter: We want 'Jews to be perfected'

Conservative commentator Ann Coulter.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Conservative commentator and best-selling author Ann Coulter may find herself in the midst of a controversy for comments Monday suggesting America would be better if everyone was Christian.

Asked by CNBC host Donny Deutsch what the U.S. looks like in her dreams, Coulter said it would look like the Republican National Convention in 2004

"People were happy,” she said, according to a transcript provided to CNN by CNBC. “They're Christian. They're tolerant. They defend America." (Video: Watch Coulter's comments on CNBC)

When Deutsch responded, "It would be better if we were all Christian?" Coulter said "Yeah."

Deutsch, himself Jewish, continued to press Coulter on her remarks, asking, "We should just throw Judaism away and we should all be Christians then?"

"Yeah," Coulter responded, adding "Well, it's a lot easier. It's kind of a fast track."

"You can't possibly believe that," Deutsch responded. “You can’t possibly. You’re too educated.”

"Do you know what Christianity is?" Coulter replied. "See, we believe your religion, but you have to obey. We have the fast track program."

Later in the interview Deutsch asked Coulter if she doesn't want any Jews in the world, Coulter responded, "No, we think — we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say."

"Wow, you didn't really say that, did you," Deutsch said.

"Yeah, no,” Coulter replied. “That’s what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. We know we're all sinners."

Deutsch said he was personally offended.

"No. I'm sorry. It is not intended to be," she said. "I don't think you should take it that way, but that is what Christians consider themselves: perfected Jews. We believe the Old Testament. As you know from the Old Testament, God was constantly getting fed up with humans for not being able to live up to all the laws. What Christians believe — this is just a statement of what the New Testament is — is that that's why Christ came and died for our sins. Christians believe the Old Testament. You don't believe our testament."

Deutsch continued to call Coulter's comments anti-semetic.

"No, no, — I don't want you being offended by this," she responded. "This is what Christians consider themselves, because our testament is the continuation of your testament. You know that. So we think Jews go to heaven. I mean, [the late Rev. Jerry] Falwell himself said that, but you have to follow laws. Ours is "Christ died for our sins." We consider ourselves perfected Christians. For me to say that for you to become a Christian is to become a perfected Christian is not offensive at all."

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Honestly, this woman is a

Honestly, this woman is a moron.  She's like a conserative shock jock or something and just says totally inflammatory things to get ratings.  Personally, I think she should get major heat for this, just as Imus did for the racial slurs.

If god takes life he's an indian giver

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ann Coulter is indeed a

Ann Coulter is indeed a bitch, but what she said is actually true about Christians.  They think they took the Jewish faith several steps forward and improved it.  Naturally though, she said it in such an arrogant, unbearable way, that I don't really care about her comment's validity; I just want someone to finally get offended enough to stab her in the fucking neck.  That said, at least she thinks people of the Jewish faith are going to be allowed in her God's Heaven.  If you ask me, it's the least he can do after gypping them out of their "chosen people" status.  A lot of Christians think Jews are just damned. But hey, if the mighty Jerry Falliwell said they weren't, maybe they should reconsider.

I like Jewish people so much better than Christians.  They're like the one group of religious people I actually kind of admire.  I don't know why.  I guess I'm a hypocrite. 

shelley
ModeratorRRS local affiliate
shelley's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: "Wow, you didn't

Quote:

"Wow, you didn't really say that, did you," Deutsch said.

ditto.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
She's such an attention

She's such an attention whore.  Her new book was released and nobody paid her any heed.  So in order to get her horseface in front of the camera she has to be as offensive as possible.  I'm not surprised that Republicans aren't even bothering to distance themselves away from her.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
She's a total asshat. Wonder

She's a total asshat. Wonder how many papers will drop her column after that?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: Honestly,

pariahjane wrote:
Honestly, this woman is a moron. She's like a conserative shock jock or something and just says totally inflammatory things to get ratings. Personally, I think she should get major heat for this, just as Imus did for the racial slurs.

Heat and fired are two different things. Imus is an act, Couter really believes the bullshit she sells. Imus's joke didnt go over well, that is true. But if you havent listened to his shows on a daily basis you wouldnt be giving him proper context. I personally dont think he is funny. But I also dont think he is a racist. He is just a shock jock.

Howard Stern makes racial jokes all the time, no one accuses him of being a racist. There is a differance between making a joke based on a stereotype and actually being a bigoted racist.

I call Hillbilly Atheist a redneck all the time and poke fun of his accent, but he would never accuse me of being bigoted toward him. 

Imus should not have been fired for that anymore than South Park should be pulled off Comedy Central for the things it dipicts.

Coulter however is not an act.  Even though she is trying to shock people, the difference is that she really believes the shit she sells and is not used to demonstrate an absurdity.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:  Coulter

Brian37 wrote:

Coulter however is not an act.  Even though she is trying to shock people, the difference is that she really believes the shit she sells and is not used to demonstrate an absurdity.

Fair enough.  If she actually believes the garbage that comes out of her mouth, then she should be held accountable for it.  Has she? 

I think I have a hard time believing that people like her actually honestly truly believe what they say.  It's like the creationists, I just can't understand how they could possibly believe what they preach.  Smiling

If god takes life he's an indian giver

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Some  just love to abuse

Some  just love to abuse free speech.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Coulter's found a niche,

Coulter's found a niche, hasn't she? She's missing whatever faculty would let her actually contribute to the discussion, but she's found a way to stand unobtrusively in the socio-political group photo. Feminism couldn't have been lost completely on even the most snarling, frothing, diseased backwater hick; and she appeals to whatever dim impulse to concede female equality quivers in the redneck lizard brain. She is the idiot's idea of a smart woman.

DrTerwilliker
DrTerwilliker's picture
User is offlineOffline
I really think people are

I really think people are overreacting to this.  I loathe Ann Coulter, and am delighted to criticize the numerous bigoted, evil, far right things she says, but the fact is, most Christians believe everything about that "perfected Jew" stuff.  They just don't usually say it.  It's like a Christian saying, "If you don't believe in the Christian god, you will go to Hell."  We all know they believe that, and a Christian saying that is hardly a surprise. 

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
DrTerwilliker wrote: I

DrTerwilliker wrote:

I really think people are overreacting to this. I loathe Ann Coulter, and am delighted to criticize the numerous bigoted, evil, far right things she says, but the fact is, most Christians believe everything about that "perfected Jew" stuff. They just don't usually say it. It's like a Christian saying, "If you don't believe in the Christian god, you will go to Hell." We all know they believe that, and a Christian saying that is hardly a surprise.

I would call Ann Coulter, a model christian.  She, at least, is honest about christianity. 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Shaitian
User is offlineOffline
I just found this i figured

I just found this i figured this should go in here...

*MOD EDIT: FIXED LINK TO SHOW PIC*

It made me laugh.

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry

LeftofLarry wrote:
DrTerwilliker wrote:

I really think people are overreacting to this. I loathe Ann Coulter, and am delighted to criticize the numerous bigoted, evil, far right things she says, but the fact is, most Christians believe everything about that "perfected Jew" stuff. They just don't usually say it. It's like a Christian saying, "If you don't believe in the Christian god, you will go to Hell." We all know they believe that, and a Christian saying that is hardly a surprise.

I would call Ann Coulter, a model christian.  She, at least, is honest about christianity. 

If only all Christians were honest....

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm sorry, but to say all

I'm sorry, but to say all the Christians who aren't bigotted pricks like Coulter are 'dishonest' is well, absurd and dishonest.

It's like saying any atheist who tolerates private worship and doesn't want religion outlawed is 'dishonest.'

It borders on a 'No true Scotsman'. That the good Christians aren't true Christians.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

It's like saying any atheist who tolerates private worship and doesn't want religion outlawed is 'dishonest.' 

But the difference here is, that atheists don't abide by a doctrine or dogma.  Christians, however, as a matter of dogma have always looked to as jews as being wrong...they have to.  It's only those who accept jesus as their personal savior, will make it to heaven, so for a christian, a perfect world would be one where eveyrone was christian and accepted jesus as their own personal savior.  Isn't this the reason why they proseletyze to save as many "souls" as possible?  Sure what Ann Coulter said was vile and biggoted, but my contention is that christianity is vile and biggoted, but isn't calling christians "perfected jews" in essence the esoteric message of christian doctrine?  

Atheists don't abide by any doctrine, so the example is not the same, some of us are indeed, more outspoken than others, but by far we are not tied down to a doctrine that requires our views or beliefs to be homogenized.  Christians do, and that doctrine is found within the bible.  Now of course most christians aren't as outspoken as Ann Coulter and still hold those views.. but just because you ain't sayin' it don't mean you ain't thinkin' it.  Most fundamentalist christians do believe what ann coulter believes and it's only the spiritual progressives or liberal christians or middle of the road christains (and ironically christian apologists) that are trying to now redefine christianity, so as to not make it so bad so as to exhibit appeal for general consumption. Which is why I say, that Ann Coulter is at least, honest about christianity and outspoken.  She's sticking to the message, the original message.  

So I do not think it to be so absurd to make such a claim when the bible itself is the doctrine where so many christians defend as being the true word of god. Ann coulter is only believeing in her religion as best she could.

Examples:

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/humbug16.htm

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server which houses Celebrity Atheists.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'm sorry, but to say all the Christians who aren't bigotted pricks like Coulter are 'dishonest' is well, absurd and dishonest.

It borders on a 'No true Scotsman'. That the good Christians aren't true Christians.

The view about moderates versus fundamentalists, that I first heard from Sam Harris but has since been restated by other popular atheist figures, is that fundamentalism/literalism demonstrates adherence to scripture, where moderation is practiced by people who have ultimately favored the secular rules of their society. These two broad categories don't take into account the many more interpretations of Christianity, and other religions, but I don't see that as a practical option anyway.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry wrote: But the

LeftofLarry wrote:

But the difference here is, that atheists don't abide by a doctrine or dogma.

Whilst true that nothing in atheism in of itself is required dogma,  I have seen atheists say 'How can you be athesit and do this....' etc... and I have seen atheists mistaken for Christians.

It's not that it's a dogma , but more like a schema. A stereotype of atheists.

CrimsonEdge
CrimsonEdge's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: Whilst

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Whilst true that nothing in atheism in of itself is required dogma, I have seen atheists say 'How can you be athesit and do this....' etc... and I have seen atheists mistaken for Christians.

As I've seen Christians mistaken for Bhuddists and Democrats mistaken for Republicans. 

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Whilst true that nothing in atheism in of itself is required dogma, I have seen atheists say 'How can you be athesit and do this....' etc... and I have seen atheists mistaken for Christians.

As I've seen Christians mistaken for Bhuddists and Democrats mistaken for Republicans.

Than those Christians didn't fit in the schema of Christainity and those Democrats didn't fit the scheme of Democrats. 

But guess what? They were still Christian and Democrats. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Who said anything about "True scotsman"?

A liberal Catholic is as much a Christian a Southern Conservitive Baptist. What the fuck does this have to do with Ann Coulter being a bitch? 

I dont care about people dissagreeing with me. I do care about self rightious pricks telling me that I am sub human. I dont think any jew should put up with that bullshit and I certainly wont either. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Brian37

Brian37 wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Who said anything about "True scotsman"?

A liberal Catholic is as much a Christian a Southern Conservitive Baptist. What the fuck does this have to do with Ann Coulter being a bitch?

I dont care about people dissagreeing with me. I do care about self rightious pricks telling me that I am sub human. I dont think any jew should put up with that bullshit and I certainly wont either.

I was refering to this:

LeftofLarry wrote:

DeathMunkyGod
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Perfected?

My personal favorite aspect of her statement that Christians are just perfected Jews is the part where, in making her point, she says:

Ann Coulter wrote:
You have to obey laws. We know we're all sinners

I think this is hillariously idiotic.  Christ makes Christians perfected Jews because, while the jews have to obey the laws to be considered perfect, christians just have to believe the new testament and there is, according to her, really little incentive to obey any laws.  Because she's on the "fast track".  It's brilliant, I love it.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I can't wait for the "Jew

I can't wait for the "Jew 2.0" bumper stickers.

Back to the "no true Scotsman" complaint. I think it's arguable that most mainstream Christians are only nominally so. Most people I know are Christians of some stripe, but few have a functional knowledge of biblical text. I've never quizzed them on it, but I doubt most could name the ten commandments. Behavior doesn't dictate the aptness of the religious label: it's adherence to doctrine, or some shared interpretation of it. That last thing is important because there's no final, non-contradictory word on what "Christian" means, or even what words used by Christians mean. The only certain thing is it has to be derived from its only source: ancient religious texts. A person who calls themselves a Christian can be good, but the fact is they're being less Christian than someone who really does derive their views from the bible. If say, you recognize a prohibition on rape that's not found in the bible, you're not backed up by Christian doctrine. You're diverging from it.

I'm not criticizing that, though. I think it's great... it's just not Christian. 

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

And my argument is that stereotypes are not the same thing as dogma.  I call  Coulter a true christian based on dogma, not stereotype.  All jews are cheap...that's a steriotype... all black people don't tip..that's a stereotype (not that I necessarily believe this. I'm making a point between stereotype and dogma)..none of these stereotypes are based on dogma, which is what christianity is based on...therefore the parallel between stereotypes and dogma is fallacious.  

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
LeftofLarry

LeftofLarry wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

And my argument is that stereotypes are not the same thing as dogma. I call Coulter a true christian based on dogma, not stereotype. All jews are cheap...that's a steriotype... all black people don't tip..that's a stereotype (not that I necessarily believe this. I'm making a point between stereotype and dogma)..none of these stereotypes are based on dogma, which is what christianity is based on...therefore the parallel between stereotypes and dogma is fallacious.

If you base it on dogma, then my question is:

What sect? Catholic? Protestant? Lutheran? 

I don't know what sect Coulter ascribes to, but the point is that different sects have different dogmas. 

If you actually do know what sect Coulter and that sect does indeed preach that Christians are 'perfect Jews', then, yes I see your point.

However, if not, then my point comes in.

LeftofLarry
LeftofLarry's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: [  

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
[

If you base it on dogma, then my question is:

What sect? Catholic? Protestant? Lutheran?

I don't know what sect Coulter ascribes to, but the point is that different sects have different dogmas.

If you actually do know what sect Coulter and that sect does indeed preach that Christians are 'perfect Jews', then, yes I see your point.

However, if not, then my point comes in.

But that's just it.... the O in Bingo...  religion is fallacious o begin with.  The dogma and the doctrine should be exactly as it is written in the bible.  Sects..denominations...are a red herring.. Do you think Heaven is divided between sects and denominations?  I mean...seriously..the bible is the bible.  Who, then IS the true christian? which denomination? Which sect.. oh wait... the ever so re-occuring problems with religion...same thing with muslims. and jews. All argue which each other..for the true meaning...

I find it fallacious that there are differnet denominations and sects or christianity... their dogma should be central.