More evidence to show that atheism is good for society!

kellym78
atheistRational VIP!
kellym78's picture
User is offlineOffline
More evidence to show that atheism is good for society!

http://www.gadling.com/2007/08/23/least-religious-countries/

Quote:

Least Religious Countries 

Posted Aug 23rd 2007 12:15PM by Iva Skoch

When you travel to Europe, don't be surprised to find that many Europeans don't believe in God. I have even witnessed some alcohol-infused conversations between Americans and Europeans that almost ended in fistfights over His/Her existence. When you travel to the following countries, you might want to pick a less controversial topic of conversation ... umm, maybe George W?

Here are the Top 10 least religious countries in the world:

1. Sweden (up to 85% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)
2. Vietnam
3. Denmark
4. Norway
5. Japan
6. Czech Republic
7. Finland
8. France
9. South Korea
10. Estonia (up to 49% non-believer, atheist, agnostic)

The one that surprised me was Israel, ranking 19th, with up to 37% claiming to be non-believer, atheist, agnostic. Compare that with the United States, ranking 44th, with 3-9% non-believers, atheists, agnostics. (I think I have met them all on the streets of New York City, too.)

The survey concluded that "high levels of organic atheism are strongly correlated with high levels of societal health, such as low homicide rates, low poverty rates, low infant mortality rates, and low illiteracy rates, as well as high levels of educational attainment, per capita income, and gender equality. Most nations characterized by high degrees of individual and societal security have the highest rates of organic atheism, and conversely, nations characterized by low degrees of individual and societal security have the lowest rates of organic atheism. In some societies, particularly Europe, atheism is growing. However, throughout much of the world -- particularly nations with high birth rates -- atheism is barely discernable."

Oh, the sweet satisfaction of being vindicated. *grins evilly*

Unfortunately, the link to the study has been taken down as it has been published as a chapter in the Cambridge Companion to Atheism

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: Scribe

Fish wrote:
Scribe wrote:

No, you don't. An Atheist has no grounds for believing in abstract counter concepts (good vs. evil). Issues of value must be viewed in a pragmatic way, which is still very arbitrary. I would say 'non-consistent' atheists have a view of good and evil, but claiming subjective values erases all distinctions.

This 'fake' morality you assume is only on par with your belief that there is no God. I would say, without God, morality doesn't exists because it becomes, essentially, preference based. You have no objective standard from which to derrive your morals so therefore you really have none at all.

That's not to say that you are immoral. By my perspective you may be very moral, but your worldview doesn't allow that sort of objectivity.

Belief in god does not provide an objective moral system.

The claim that the existence of god can provide an objective set of morals fails because the morals are still based on preference. In this case, it would be god's preference. The fact that it is the preference of a non-human entity doesn't change the fact that the morals are subjective.

What objective standards does god have for the moral systems theists claim he provides? If you cannot provide a coherent set of objective reasoning for god to impose his morals, then they are purely subjective. If you can provide such reasoning, than that morality would exist even without god.

As a side note, the original article (not the thread subject) spoke about the health of the societies. This is an objective measure, and you would need to argue against the increased health of those societies regardless of if you think a healthy society is "better."

I really don't see a problem with this at all. If God is the First Cause (nothing above or beyond Him) and His intentions are the purpose of this world (subjective), then there still remains an objective standard for the rest of us. If God is "truth", then whether or not we have different opinions as opposed to God are irrelevant. The simple fact that we can disagree is not the measure of whether something is right or wrong. It seems that God fits the criterion. If there is no God and the "First Cause" is mindless matter (or something) than the only foundation we have is created by ourselves and justified by ourselves (and therefore no standard at all from which to place our thoughts). 

So whether God is 'subjective' or not does not solve the dilema I have given here to non-believers.

And now I really must present my critique of TodAngst article. I just wanted to reply to all of you first so you didn't believe I was ignoring you.  

"If I have a little money I buy books and if any is left I buy food and clothes.'

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Scribe wrote:

Scribe wrote:

I really don't see a problem with this at all. If God is the First Cause (nothing above or beyond Him) and His intentions are the purpose of this world (subjective), then there still remains an objective standard for the rest of us. If God is "truth", then whether or not we have different opinions as opposed to God are irrelevant. The simple fact that we can disagree is not the measure of whether something is right or wrong. It seems that God fits the criterion. If there is no God and the "First Cause" is mindless matter (or something) than the only foundation we have is created by ourselves and justified by ourselves (and therefore no standard at all from which to place our thoughts).

Scribe wrote:
You just said that morality is subjective, so therefore you cannot also admit to it being objective. This is clearly contradictory.

You have defeated your own argument. It is subjective or objective?

Scribe wrote:
So whether God is 'subjective' or not does not solve the dilema I have given here to non-believers.

It shows that your argument suffers from the same "dilema." You have not shown that the existence of god provides an objective moral system.

You're saying that you "don't have a problem" with following a subjective set of morals. As an atheist, I'm not sure that I would, but I guess believing in god naturally allows you to follow subjective morality. To each his own I suppose.

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote: Scribe wrote:

Fish wrote:
Scribe wrote:
Scribe wrote:
You just said that morality is subjective, so therefore you cannot also admit to it being objective. This is clearly contradictory.
You have defeated your own argument. It is subjective or objective?
Scribe wrote:
It shows that your argument suffers from the same "dilema." You have not shown that the existence of god provides an objective moral system.You're saying that you "don't have a problem" with following a subjective set of morals. As an atheist, I'm not sure that I would, but I guess believing in god naturally allows you to follow subjective morality. To each his own I suppose.
It's still objective, because I am relying on a source that is above myself. Whether that source is ultimately 'subjective' or not does not cancel out the fact that I am relying on an objective standard. If God is the First of everything then it is necessary to believe that there is nothing above or beyond. God must be a standard unto Himself, and naturally, everything that comes from God is subject to Him because it is He that "makes the world go round". It is He, that is the source of truth. Unless you want to believe in some infinite causal chain of truths or something, this doesn't change. 

"If I have a little money I buy books and if any is left I buy food and clothes.'

croath
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian wrote: You can

Tilberian wrote:
You can bleat about causality all you like, but it is simply not possible that this powerful correlation is a cooincidence. The only remaining question is whether people drop religion then start living well, or whether they start living well then drop religion. Either way, it's high time we all dropped religion.

Thankyou for putting so beautifully an error of Kelly's reasons for her conclusion.

Let us say that there is a definite correlation between wealth and ignorance and distaste of the sufferings of the less wealthy. I am reminded powerfully of Louis the XVI and his wife, Marie Antoinette. They had wealth and happiness while France starved. We may ask, did their ignorance and distaste for the starving man arise because of their wealth, or did their wealth arise from their ignorance and distaste for the starving man? Either way, it's high time we all became ignorance and have a distaste for the starving man.

See the error? I'll make it clearer, just in case you don't, by another quotation from the article Kelly mistakenly thinks vindicates her:
"Of course, it is essential to clearly state that I am in no way arguing that high levels of organic atheism cause societal health or that low levels of organic atheism cause societal ills such as poverty or illiteracy. If anything, the opposite argument should be made: societal health causes widespread atheism, and societal insecurity causes widespread belief in God, as discussed by Norris and Inglehart (2004) above."
http://anxiousmofo.wordpress.com/2007/05/09/gregory-paul-and-phil-zuckerman-why-the-gods-are-not-winning/

Why does it matter that it's this way around? Because if atheism is the *product* of a healthy society, it says nothing about the merits of atheism itself. As a point of fact above, someone can be very wealthy and as a result become a jerk. This doesn't prove the point you're trying to establish. We should not suppose that because a thing flows from something desirable, that that thing is good. As my example above, wealth is desirable, makes for a better society and life, but it does not mean that its fruit are all good. Atheism may be an instance of something horrible that flows from something desirable.

And this is perfectly compatible with Christianity. Leading a happy life, where your neighbours are good to you, you have enough food and shelter and extras to make you happy, can lead you to forget about what is more important in life.

tilberian wrote:
I am begging you, BEGGING YOU, to go point out Todangst's "philosophical errors" to him. Just one condition: I get to watch.

You sound as if you think that Todangst is in his element when having his philosophical blunders pointed out. I'd like to inform you that he has had them corrected before, and it resulted in him banning a user. I've pointed out his errors to him also, and he's hardly the logical titan you think he is.

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Scribe wrote: It's still

Scribe wrote:
It's still objective, because I am relying on a source that is above myself.

What makes you think this is the definition of objective?

Scribe wrote:
Whether that source is ultimately 'subjective' or not does not cancel out the fact that I am relying on an objective standard.

You yourself have said that something cannot be both subjective and objective. If god's standard is subjective, then how can it be objective. By your own arguments, this makes no sense.

Scribe wrote:
If God is the First of everything then it is necessary to believe that there is nothing above or beyond. God must be a standard unto Himself, and naturally, everything that comes from God is subject to Him because it is He that "makes the world go round". It is He, that is the source of truth. Unless you want to believe in some infinite causal chain of truths or something, this doesn't change.

Scribe wrote:
Right and Wrong do not exists in a Subjective worldview. So while it may be "wrong" to make such a divide between 'good' and 'evil' there is no reason for you to even believe this to begin with.

Again, you defeat your own argument. If right and wrong cannot exist in a subjective worldview, and god has a subjective worldview, then there cannot be a right and wrong period. God would have no means of determining right and wrong, and, as the creator of everything, would be incapable of separating the two.

If god decided that murder, stealing and lying were good, would you agree and think those things are good? You cannot say that god cannot say those things are good because that would require an objective standard separate from god, in which case no god is needed for an objective standard.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Scribe wrote: magilum

Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:
Tilberian wrote:
All theists add to the the concept of good and evil is the idea that these concepts somehow exist in some transcendental space independent of the human mind. Since there's no evidence for this, there's no reason why anyone should believe it. So I go back to my point: the atheist's concept of good and evil, subjective as it may be, is just as strong and better grounded than the theist's.
 It's actually worse than that. By dividing "good" and "evil" from the perceptible world, you end up with bizarre rationalizations for how things that hurt no one are bad (gay marriage, embryonic stem cell research), and things that hurt thousands are good. I was shocked to hear from some very mainstream Christians that the people hurt in hurricane Katrina might have "had it coming." Only someone with a grossly contorted view of right and wrong could see a tragedy of epic proportions as some kind of justice.
 You've simply undermined your own view here by in fact using language that suggests a 'divide' between what is good and evil. The first most noticeable is in your application of 'worse' to that divide. You state that such a divide is 'wrong', but by doing so you undermine the very thing in which you are promoting. Right and Wrong do not exists in a Subjective worldview. So while it may be "wrong" to make such a divide between 'good' and 'evil' there is no reason for you to even believe this to begin with. 

Actually, moral codes, including those borrowed for religion, are an expression of the innate morality that goes with being a social animal. You say there's no basis in subjectivity for right or wrong; calling biologically-based morals "subjective" again makes the assumption that each person is a blank slate, has no desire to be part of a functioning society, protect members of his or her tribe, has no empathy, etc. It imagines a state of nihilism that simply does not exist in a normal human being.
Either morality evolved because cooperation in humans was more effective for survival (and thus developed concern for tribe members, which became a broader sense of empathy), or it came from a magical space monster. I'm not going to respond to your other reply, because all you did was repeat yourself. This whole conversation is mundane for me, and I've moved beyond it. I have a blog entry about it if you want to educate yourself.

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Fish wrote:   What makes

Fish wrote:

What makes you think this is the definition of objective?

"The kind of viewpoint that is unbiased by individual prejudices, sensory and perceptual distortions, or misinterpretations."

Well, should I go as far as to say that objective and subjective do not apply to God's views? It seems that they shouldn't since they are in fact the views. To us, there are either subjective or objective viewpoints; one dependant on personal preference and the other dependant on 'facts'. I was a little reluctant to agree that God was being 'subjective' under the assumption that subjective means 'personal preference', but that was only because it seemed right a few minutes ago. 

Now it makes no sense to me seeing as God has no 'preference'. There is no 'preference' because no other preference exist. There is no 'facts' involved with God because God is fact and what comes from Him is fact. So God could be 'subjective' in a sense, but that is totally contrary to how humans are when they are 'subjective'. 

fish wrote:
You yourself have said that something cannot be both subjective and objective. If god's standard is subjective, then how can it be objective. By your own arguments, this makes no sense.

Yes I did, and I'm still saying it now. Please point where I said something was objective and subjective at the same time. All I've said thus far was that I rely on an objective standard (rather than my subjective views), and while God may be 'subjective' unto himself, this does not cancel out the fact that I am being objective. That's to even say that God is really 'subjective'. 

Fish wrote:
Again, you defeat your own argument. If right and wrong cannot exist in a subjective worldview, and god has a subjective worldview, then there cannot be a right and wrong period. God would have no means of determining right and wrong, and, as the creator of everything, would be incapable of separating the two.

If god decided that murder, stealing and lying were good, would you agree and think those things are good? You cannot say that god cannot say those things are good because that would require an objective standard separate from god, in which case no god is needed for an objective standard.

See, this is where you're not thinking beyond the basics of what I've said. Right and wrong do not exists for God because He is in fact "right" whereas everything that opposes God is 'wrong', simply on the basis that He is Who He Is without change and cannot change. Being that He is also the First of everything, naturally He cannot adhere to anything, but Himself, so He must, by necessity, be a standard unto Himself. 

For us, there is a Right or Wrong because that is dependant on what God Is and Isn't. So yes, Right and Wrong can exists and must exists if God exist.

And you're right, if God, by His own nature allowed murder, then there is nothing I can really say. Even by disagreeing with Him I am not taking my moral values from anywhere, so they are utlimately subjective things (for me). What I don't understand is how you assume that because I would disagree with God that this would create some sort of alter-objective standard. 

laffer
User is offlineOffline
I think morals are

I think morals are ultimately subjective and I don't have any problem with that.

Oh and I'm glad I live in Norway.. was a little surprised we ended up that high on the list. 

This man has passed away, he will be remembered by Rational Response Squad leaders as a friend and supporter.

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hei Laffer - hjertelig

Hei Laffer - hjertelig velkommen til RRS!

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
geirj wrote:

OK, so let's ask the big question here - what do you theists think the consequences are for people in these countries who are non-believers?

Nothing.

Quote:

Are they going to hell?

Nope.

Quote:

If their high levels of non-belief have apparently brought them prosperity and not punishment, what is the case for the existence of God?

This has nothing to do with the existance of God. 

I'm sorry, this has everything to do with the existence of god. In an earlier post, you said that people aren't good because they are atheists, they are good because they're good people. I agree with that. But combined with what you said above, that there are apparently no negative consequences for being an atheist, why not simply be a good person? Why bother with the intricate god-based belief system?

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: I'm sorry,

geirj wrote:

I'm sorry, this has everything to do with the existence of god. In an earlier post, you said that people aren't good because they are atheists, they are good because they're good people. I agree with that. But combined with what you said above, that there are apparently no negative consequences for being an atheist, why not simply be a good person? Why bother with the intricate god-based belief system?

This looks of the 'if we don't need religion, why keep it?' argument.

If that's what you're arguing, I counter with we don't need music, literature, art, etc.... so why keep that?

I have my own reasons to be a Theist. 

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: And

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

And neither of those nations forced atheism on the people by threat of torture/death......oh wait.

You have it backwards.

Keep your red herrings. I hate the smell of fish. 

Lazy is a word we use when someone isn't doing what we want them to do.
- Dr. Joy Brown

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:geirj

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
geirj wrote:

If that's what you're arguing, I counter with we don't need music, literature, art, etc.... so why keep that?

Not really a perfect analogy, though. Music, art and literature aren't generally designed to promote claims about the world in a way that subverts sense and logic. A fairer question would be whether we should keep cults around for their own sake. Would you object to religion shifting, voluntarily of course, from practice to myth?
You're very adamant about marginalizing religion's role in negative decisions. Do you think religion has no influence on the decision-making of the devout? I'll tell you where I'm going with this right off. There are natural and rational reasons to obey many common moral edicts; it's the uncommon ones that concern me. Those fall under religious prescription -- or, to be fair, another irrational doctrine. Like I said before, why should a normal adult care whether two dudes or two chicks get married? Why would an otherwise compassionate person choose an unconscious mass of cells, bound for disposal anyway, over finding a cure for an awful disease? There are competing ways of looking at things here, and only one of them actually involves looking. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Tilberian

Tilberian wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

And neither of those nations forced atheism on the people by threat of torture/death......oh wait.

You have it backwards.

Keep your red herrings. I hate the smell of fish. 

Your loss.

Zach Moritz
User is offlineOffline
We actually talked about a

We actually talked about a study similar to this for a day in my US Literature class, the US is actually the only First world country has a higher than half the population that claims to be very religious while generally the countries with the problems that Kelly described had the most religious and those with the virtures that she described were the least religious.

Zach Moritz
User is offlineOffline
double post

sry, accidental double post

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Scribe wrote: Please point

Scribe wrote:
Please point where I said something was objective and subjective at the same time. All I've said thus far was that I rely on an objective standard (rather than my subjective views), and while God may be 'subjective' unto himself, this does not cancel out the fact that I am being objective. That's to even say that God is really 'subjective'.

I have pointed out several times. I will do so again.

You say that god's moral views are subjective. This is because they are based on his opinions. They are not based on facts.

Then you say that you follow god's objective moral standards. The standards haven't changed. They are the same standards. So you have said they are subjective and objective at the same time.

I will illustrate.

If god says "I like when people kill each other," that is subjective. It is based only on his preference for murder.

When you say "god likes when people kill each other," that is objective because you are stating a fact.

However, the standard itself is subjective. An opinion does not become a fact when someone other than the original speaker says it.

Scribe wrote:

"The kind of viewpoint that is unbiased by individual prejudices, sensory and perceptual distortions, or misinterpretations."

Well, should I go as far as to say that objective and subjective do not apply to God's views? It seems that they shouldn't since they are in fact the views. To us, there are either subjective or objective viewpoints; one dependant on personal preference and the other dependant on 'facts'. I was a little reluctant to agree that God was being 'subjective' under the assumption that subjective means 'personal preference', but that was only because it seemed right a few minutes ago.

Now it makes no sense to me seeing as God has no 'preference'. There is no 'preference' because no other preference exist. There is no 'facts' involved with God because God is fact and what comes from Him is fact. So God could be 'subjective' in a sense, but that is totally contrary to how humans are when they are 'subjective'.

To use the defintion you provide, god's morals stem from his own prejudice. What reasons does he give to say that stealing, murder, homosexuality, women, etc., are bad things?

God certianly bases his morality on his own preference. The fact that he doens't have any preference other than his own is hardly surprising, considering the contradictory nature of such an idea.

Other preferences do exist. This is clear from that fact that many people have preferences that are not the same as god. Your statement doesn't really make much sense. If god's morals come from nowhere but his own notions, that's essentially the very definiton of subjective. They arise from his own perceptions, ideas, and feelings, and not some other source.

Scribe wrote:
See, this is where you're not thinking beyond the basics of what I've said. Right and wrong do not exists for God because He is in fact "right" whereas everything that opposes God is 'wrong', simply on the basis that He is Who He Is without change and cannot change. Being that He is also the First of everything, naturally He cannot adhere to anything, but Himself, so He must, by necessity, be a standard unto Himself.

For us, there is a Right or Wrong because that is dependant on what God Is and Isn't. So yes, Right and Wrong can exists and must exists if God exist.

The fact that god likes something because that's the way he is doesn't mean that it's an objective standard. If you like ice cream because you were born that way, that doens't make it objective. It just means that you had no choice over your own preferences.
As long as god is basing his morality on his own preferences, it doesn't matter what those preferences are. They are subjective. For god's morals to be objective, they would have to be based on some other fact.

Sribe wrote:
And you're right, if God, by His own nature allowed murder, then there is nothing I can really say. Even by disagreeing with Him I am not taking my moral values from anywhere, so they are utlimately subjective things (for me). What I don't understand is how you assume that because I would disagree with God that this would create some sort of alter-objective standard.

You didn't really answer the question. If that were the case, would you consider murder, stealing, etc. good things?

It comes down to this:

If god's standard is subjective, then you follow a subjective standard of morality, regardless of what sort of authority you claim god has.

If god's standard is objective, you should be able to show where he draws this objective standard from. Saying "because god is objective" isn't really a sufficient argument.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
magilum

magilum wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Not really a perfect analogy, though. Music, art and literature aren't generally designed to promote claims about the world in a way that subverts sense and logic. A fairer question would be whether we should keep cults around for their own sake. Would you object to religion shifting, voluntarily of course, from practice to myth?
No.  
Quote:
  You're very adamant about marginalizing religion's role in negative decisions. Do you think religion has no influence on the decision-making of the devout?

I've made this argument several times. People take what they believe and attribute it to religion. The source is from society.

Now, does religion have some influence? Yes. Is it the main influence? Mostly no. With the exception of fundies/creationists, religion doesn't play a major role. They would be good/bad regardless fo their religion.

And, Tilberian, you missed my point.

Either:

1) I misread, or

2) You just said that 'shedding the religious yoke' of Soviet Union/China excluded the fact they were both states where it was actually illegal to be Theist and hence didn't even have a 'religious yoke' to begin with, and twisted it into some insane conclusion that religion caused those states turmoil.

I sure hope for your sake that it's 1)

magilum
User is offlineOffline
@Pineapple You quotes got

@Pineapple
You quotes got formatted weirdly, so I'm going to reply this way. (Drupal!!!)
My take is that we diverge on the significance of that "some influence." Is the typical avowed theist a raving maniac? No, because they've embraced the benefits of secularism. However, that influence has been enough to hinder social, scientific, academic, and medical progress here in the US. It doesn't take the execution of intellectuals for religion to impact society in a negative way. It takes as little as voting against embryonic stem cell research, or voting for a politician that panders on that issue.
(Speaking about the modern US, not religion throughout history.)

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's a wide open question

That's a wide open question which I'm sure several people have a response for. Here's mine... 

Insert approximate totals after each category:

Cumulative death toll from religious-based conflict:

Cumulative death toll from music-based conflict:

Cumulative death toll from literature-based conflict:

Cumulative death toll from art-based conflict:

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Tankalish
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Just curious, but how did

Just curious, but how did it come to "atheism causes social goods"? It seems to me that social goods cause atheism is an equally viable explanation. When there is contentment within the populace, there is no desire for a higher power, no need for God's justice. Instead, as Westerners, we are genally able to live in luxury while 2 billion on earth live on a dollar a day. Besides, the capitalist system of desire and the nation state are fairly dogmatic and religious in people's general devotion to them. Admittedly not excplicitely deistic, but I think it's simply that the "deity" has been internalized or nationalized.

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scribe wrote:

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:

All theists add to the the concept of good and evil is the idea that these concepts somehow exist in some transcendental space independent of the human mind.

Being Dualists, that makes the most sense.

Yep. Which is like taking the position that the stars are lights hanging from a giant crystal sphere than encloses the earth and defending that position on the grounds that you are "Ptolemicist." Both models of the universe being equally outdated, discredited and without support from any modern source.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
Since there's no evidence for this, there's no reason why anyone should believe it.

What do you mean 'no evidence'? First, how do you know there is 'no evidence' and what, might I ask, constitutes as 'evidence' for you?

Oh dear. Are you one of those poor fundamentalist mouth breathers who actually wants to argue that religion can be defended on non-faith-based grounds? Because if this is going to turn into a debate about whether carbon dating works, I'm not interested.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
So I go back to my point: the atheist's concept of good and evil, subjective as it may be, is just as strong and better grounded than the theist's.

Subjectivism rules out any distinctions whatsoever, so there is no 'concept of good and evil' in an Atheistic worldview. Your whole idea of 'just as strong and better grounded' is an absurd assertion to make because none of these criterion exists for you; they can't.

Subjectivism does not rule out distinctions. Where did you get that from? The subjectivist says is that good is distinct from evil because I feel that it is so and here are the reasons why. Which is all any of us can do. Objectivists like yourself pretend to have a god's-eye-view of the topic, but are simply ignoring your own perceptual prison.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:

There are many possible objective standards that the atheist can apply that all have the benefit of being grounded in real things instead of imaginary fairy tales.

The confusion here lies in your underlying assumptions about morality, which are invalid. You want morality to be something transcendent and innate in the universe, a real property of the cosmos that is independent of perception or opinion. You refer to morality as if it is one of the laws of physics. In my view this is pure fantasy without a shred of evidence to back it up. No one anywhere has ever seen a "moral" that wasn't created by the mind of a human. Any examination of the contents of morals themselves makes it pathetically obvious that they are human constructions and not transcendent articles at all. So I dispute your version of morality on the basis that morality is fundamentally subjective, ie, derived from human thought.

However, there are aspects of our being that transcend individual people without transcending our material nature. We all share similar physical and mental characteristics, as well as similar circumstances in that we are all living on this one tiny planet in the same universe. To the extent that our moral conclusions can be pulled from reference to these shared factors, we can claim that they are "objective." Or at least that they are objective the extent that any position can be objective, subject, as all understanding is, to the limits of our knowledge and senses.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
I personally feel that our shared innate social behaviour forms an excellent basis for morality. It is certainly objective, it transcends any individual person's preferences and it actually informs actions.

But all you can do at the end of the day is 'feel' that way. Nothing more and nothing less.

No. We can draw rational conlcusions based on our understanding of these factors. There is a basis here for a rational morality. I am not talking about people doing whatever they feel like doing.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
As I said, the only thing your worldview allows that mine doesn't is reference to supernatural things that don't exist. If that makes you feel your system of morality is superior, great, but I beg to differ.

By what standard (being a Subjectivists) can you even differ to begin with?

By the standard of rationality. Your basis for claiming objective grounds for morality doesn't withstand scrutiny.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
The social indicators are for things like infant mortality, violence, poverty etc. Now do you really want to pursue this line of argument? How do you think we should be judging societies? Wait, let me guess...number of churches, right?

No. Perhaps you should stop assuming that somehow just because someone is a Theists that they can't think up to the same level of intellect as you. Your tone is very demeaning. I'm presenting an argument here that I feel is valid and all you've done thus far is talk to me as though I'm not capable of making a rational thought.

That's because you are saying irrational things, like trying to imply that there is some questionable value judgement inherent in prefering peace to violence, life to death and wealth to poverty.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
Apology accepted.

I would appreciate the same.

When I have reason to apologize, I do.

Scribe wrote:

I stated that the per capita income is more associated with lower IQ scores. The obvious reason is because people cannot afford or grant good education in a country that is poorer. The reason poor individuals may be more religious is because religion gives them a sense of hope and prosperity in light of their suffering. Not only that, but poorer countries typically recieve more aid, finacially and psychologically than richer countries.

Tilberian wrote:
So religious countries are poorer. And stupider. Always. You just said it again.

Please point out where I said anything of the sort. I never said that "religion causes people to be poorer" or anything in that light. I never made any comment that religion is the cause of poverty. You asserted that. I said that poor people may be more religious; that's all.

Yes, yes you are trying to say that the poverty comes first and the religion comes next. I dealth with that below.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
Your chain of reasoning begs the question. If people really do become religious because they are poor and not the other way around, then what we should see through history is religious countries righting their economies and finding their way out of poverty.

How does it 'beg the question'? To accuse someone of 'begging the question' is to say that they are making a circular argument.

No it doesn't. It means they are making an unsupported assumption.

Scribe wrote:

And btw, we have seen religious countries 'righting their economies'. Before the rise of these atheistic secular states, it was the religious running the economies. One particular example is the rise of Islam. When 'the prophet' came on the scene he united the tribes and created an economic and millitary power not yet seen in that area for centuries. Other examples can be noticed in Europes Protestant ethic as well as the early United States. I honestly don't understand how you think so poorly of religious people as not even having any sort of accomplishments.

Thank you for those additional examples that reinforce my point. Each of the cases you mention are cases of religious upheaval, when the prior religious institutions were overthrown and their effect on society diminished. Islam was a beacon of reason and science compared to the benighted barbarity that had gripped the desert tribes previously. The Reformation was a time of destruction of the backward, insular, stultifying Catholic doctrines that had kept Europe in virtual intellectual stasis for a thousand years. The history of the early United States is a history of flight from religious persecution (by other religions) and rejection of institutionalized religion altogether.

Religions crush social progress and stifle acheivement as long as they are strong and stable. It is only when they are thrown down that the true measure of the human spirit can shine through the cracks.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
But we never see that, even when religious countries are blessed with wealth windfalls, like the Arab nations. Sure, some people get rich, but the country as a whole remains impoverished and saddled with atrocious social indicators.

We have seen that. You're just applying your anti-religious bias to all spheres of life. I suggests reading up on some history and religion and religious thinkers benefits to mankind.

I know far more about history and the relationship between religion and science than you. Every example you have tried to give so far has fed right into my points. Even if you do find one or two examples, they serve only as the exceptions that prove the overwhelmingly more common rule: countries with high levels of religiosity and stable religious institutions suffer from retarded progress and, given time, fall behind less religious societies on social indicators.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
On the other hand, when countries undergo social and cultural movements that undermine religion or cause a schism in the existing religious order, we see great progress.

Oh, such as the Red Terror, right? Stop one siding everything as though religion is the 'bad guy' and 'anti-religion' are the 'good guys'. It only shows how little you know on the subject.

Yes, such as the Red Terror. The Soviet Union was an awful, totalitarian dictatorship, but it accomplished something that the previous thousand years of Orthodox Christian-backed czarist regimes never did or would ever have done: it modernized Russia and delivered many of the fruits of modern technology to people who otherwise would be living as medieval peasents to this day.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
Look at the American economy in the last century.

What about it? We went into a depression and then came out of it due to the sucess of WWII.

The American economy in the 20th century created unprecedented levels of wealth and economic expansion, the like of which has never been seen before on Earth, much of it in the last half of that century, precisely when religiosity went into decline.

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
Look at Western Europe following the Reformation.

Guided by a religious hand, nonetheless.

No. The Reformation represented a huge weakening of the grip of Christian religion over the daily affairs of governments and people in Western Europe. It ultimately led to the Renaissance and the Enlightenment, both of which dealt body blows to ALL church's ability to define reality.

Scribe wrote:

Further, before the Reformation, much of the education (in the form of an early university) was promoted by the Orthodox Churches.

This so-called "education" maintained Western Europe in a sort of intellectual paralysis for about a thousand years. Discoveries that the Greeks had made in 2000 BC about the size and shape of the world and the principles of physics were lost, repressed and never rediscovered because of the Church's need to ensure that every scientific inquiry agreed with doctrine and the Bible. Scientists who dared to challenge these rules were persecuted, without exception.

Scribe wrote:

Great mathematicians and scientists came out of the Church as well as Muslim countries.

It's interesting that you mention mathematicians. Mathematicians were indeed one of the few groups who got off fairly easily with the Church. Why? Because nothing they studied could be construed as having any impact on any aspect of the Church's teachings. Hell, most people don't understand anything a mathematician says anyways.

On the other hand, biologists, physicists, chemists, historians, archeologists, botonists and astronomers were harassed almost on principle. Yes, many of these people studied within Church institutions. That's because there was nowhere else to study. Go and look at biographies from any prominent scientist between 1000 and 1900 AD. You'll find run-ins with religious authorities in almost every case.

I addressed the case of Muslim science. In its early incarnations, Islam was a highly rational movement for its time. It didn't take long, however, for the religious demons of dogma to cripple it's intellectual progress as well.

Scribe wrote:

The developement of nations was the primary responsibility of religious authorities in respect to their fellow man and the benefit of all humanity. Aside from the atrocities comitted by the religious at certain points in humanity, there is substantial evidence to show, within history, the benefits of religion on the economic and political health of nations. I really cannot understand your blind prejudice here.

Please tell me you are joking. "Development of nations" has NEVER been a goal of ANY main religion. Religious authorities have done little else but reinforce the existing hierarchy and tell the poor to shut up and wait for their reward in the hereafter. That is, when religious authorities weren't actively pillaging the lower classes for their own gain.

I'm still waiting for you to point to one of these "benefits."

Scribe wrote:

Tilberian wrote:
Look at the Soviet Union and China. All places that threw off their religious yoke and experienced great surges in development with associated gains for the populace.

Also places in the last century that contributed to the 150,000,000 death count in their undermining of religion and genocide of religious followers. The "populace" was mainly religious. The 'gains' associated with them throwing off their 'yokes' was more resources for the few while millions were exterminated or starved to death.

Orwell's Animal Farm anyone?

Modernization and industrialization were benefits afforded only to the few? Without the Communist revolutions, Russia and China today would look like Africa. Were those regimes nice? No. But if you want to have a discussion of the relative tendancy for religious and secular countries to slaughter their neighbours and their citizens , we can go there. I warn you, it won't go well for the religious side.

Scribe wrote:

ARTICLE wrote:
Evan Osbourne, writing for the Cato Institute, also questioning the effectiveness of foreign aid and noted the interests of a number of other donor countries, as well as the U.S., in their aid strategies in past years. For example:

The articles main focus is to show that these rich countries are more about their own gain than that of those in poverty. It also says such things as,"The European Union is linking aid to fighting terrorism as well, with European ministers warning countries that their relations with the economically powerful bloc will suffer if they fail to cooperate in the fight against terrorism. An EU official is quoted as saying, “aid and trade could be affected if the fight against terrorism was considered insufficient”, leading to accusations of “compromising the neutrality, impartiality and independence of humanitarian assistance”.

I see. So now you don't like foreign aid as a measure of how much countries help out other countries. I suppose it is your thesis that relgious countries don't send foreign aid because they would never dream of so crassly interfering in the policies of their neighbours.

I'm sure you are right. You know, you should send an open letter to the citizens of some of the foreign aid recipients and remind them that their aid is coming with a diplomatic price. I'm sure each and every one of them will want to cut a cheque returning the money immediately.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure that foreign aid donor countries could find more directly useful applications for those funds if they retained them. The fact is, foreign aid goes out because countries that prefer peace see it as a way to exercise their will in international affairs without having to fight. Religious countries, on the other hand, prefer to hang onto the money and use it to buy tanks and bombs.

Scribe wrote:

The article goes on to say that about half of all the foreign aid given by all of the rich countries amounts to "phantom aid", or aid that is not directly associated with helping fight poverty, but rather instead is either lost or associated with investments. So whatever the other "real aid" 50% amounts to among the other countries is substantially low. Further, the 'real aid' that goes towards the poor (as pointed above) is argued to be more detrimental to poorer countries and more beneficial to the rich ones:

ARTICLE wrote:

Our compassion [at the 2002 G8 Summit talking of the desire to help Africa] may be well meant, but it is also hypocritical. The US, Europe and Japan spend $350 billion each year on agricultural subsidies (seven times as much as global aid to poor countries), and this money creates gluts that lower commodity prices and erode the living standard of the world’s poorest people.

Yet those countries continue to clamour for aid. Strange, isn't it? I wonder why they are so eager to receive these funds that are ruining their economies. Baffles the mind.

Seriously, I can't believe you are trying to spin this to suggest that secular countries are actually more evil because they give more aid. It appears that the habit of intellectual dishonesty is so deeply ingrained in you that you can't even recognize when you are being ridiculous.

Scribe wrote:

So while I generally agree that these other, more secular countries give more foreign aid to less fortunate countries, I really don't see how using this article proves your point over my own, since the majority of the money goes to benefit the rich rather than the poor.

Your so-called point doesn't pass the laugh test. The very idea that secular countries are the bad guys because they give aid is absurd.

Scribe wrote:

Foreign aid aside, I'm talking not only about the personal giving of it's members, but the religious vs. the non-religious in general (in regards to more 'secular countries&#39Eye-wink. There are more Churches (and other religious) helping people out there in the world without asking for anything in return and giving their own time and money than all of these places combined. And sure, bring up the Catholic Church helping people die of AIDs in Africa (or something else along those lines). Recent research has pointed in the opposite direction, showing that increase in condoms has not been the prevalent factor in reducing the AIDs epidemic in most AIDs infected countries, rather ideology has been the primary source of lower infections (people sleeping around less etc.). Here is one source for information:

http://www.pureloveclub.com/chastity/index.php?id=7&entryid=233

Consider it "christian bias" all you want, but I urge you to look at the information rather than mindlessly handwaving it to the side. I respect the sources you give me so much to read them so I expect the same in return.

I won't look at your bullshit study because it is beside the point. Maybe the Church is making wonderful progress in convincing people not to have sex out of wedlock. But the fact remains that use of condoms would only help the situation, and the Church has stymied that. In any event, there are dozens of reports and studies from objective sources that show quite conclusively that the Church's policies have killed millions and that Africa would have been better off if the various churches had kept all their so-called "help" to themselves.

Scribe wrote:

Now to critique the TodAngst article.

Please, please post the link. There's going to be nothing left but a crater by the time he's done with you.

- Dr. Joy Brown

Tilberian
Tilberian's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Your

magilum wrote:

Your loss.

Let's put it this way: in my experience, if it actually smells like fish, there's something very, very wrong. 

- Dr. Joy Brown

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't find the data Kelly

I don't find the data Kelly posted to be out of order with what we already know. Countries with smarter people tend to have little need for religion. And those people tend to be more behaved.

I can't wait for todangst to bury that guy. Tickets should be sold immediately.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, now I read the entire

Okay, now I read the entire paper about "TAG" that Todangst wrote and I found that there were quite a few errors that undermine his own position (as well as destroy the very premises he has sought to prove). I will point out a few of them here.

My apologies to everyone for taking so long. I've been rather busy:

Todangst wrote:

TAG is a Naked Assertion

TAG is an assertion based on a presumed dilemma. It does not define its terms nor does it give us an explanation of just how TAG accomplishes the goal of eradicating the dilemma. It simply assert that belief in god is required for the world to make sense. How so? What does this belief accomplish? How does it work? No answer comes from the TAGer.

I don't even know what Todangst is trying to say here, other than he thinks that the TAG doesn't really say anything or doesn't have any sort of method by which to prove itself. I guess Tod is just saying that he believes that the TAG is merely an assertion rather than an argument.

I can think of one particular argument that dualists use (and theists) that tells us something. The argument from reason goes as such:

1. No believe is rationally inferred if it can be fully explained in terms of nonrational causes.

2. If materialism (most Atheism, though I would argue all[i]) is true, then all beliefs can be explained in terms of nonrational causes.

3. Therefore, if materialism is true, then no belief is rationally inferred.

4. If any thesis entails the conclusion that no belief is rationally inferred, then it should be rejected and its denial accepted.

5. Therefore, materialism should be rejected and its denial accepted.

^----- The argument above kills two birds with one stone. First, it debunks the foundations of Atheism (or the conclusion of Atheism; whichever), by asserting that belief cannot be rationally inferred from nonrational causes. By debunking materialism, it opens the way to Dualism (i.e. immaterial mental states), which opens us to the option of God.

So I cannot understand why Todangst believes that TAG (or other pressupositional arguments) don't really [i]say or attempt to say anything. Saying that TAG and other dualists arguments are "naked" simply raises the questions as to what sort of evidence Todangst has for this other than his bias towards materialism.

Todangst wrote:

TAG is a Naked Assertion that relies on Incoherent Terms

TAG claims that one must presuppose 'god' in order to come to certain conclusions, but this claim is proven nonsensical when one considers that TAG is incoherent: it relies on incoherent terms. Terms such as "immaterial' and "transcendent' and "god' are purely negative terms without any ontological status.

Now this is just odd. Terms like "immaterial" and "transcendent" are without "ontological status"? What does he mean here? The whole field of Ontology (a subfield of metaphysics) deals with the very question, "What is existence?" Is he saying that these terms are nonexistent because they are incoherent (which would raise a question of epistemological value rather than ontological) or is he saying that something that is "immaterial" or "transcendent" doesn't exist because the terms are incoherent? Ontologists use these words all the time, so in what way are they "incoherent", because they are negative statements? To say that something is 'immaterial' is simply to say that something is not limited to the material realm or made of that realm. This is not "incoherent", rather it is simply vague. Vagueness is not necessarily similar to incoherence. To be incoherent is to not say anything at all (or to be too confusing to say anything), while being vague tells us a little bit about the properties of something.

Negative statements are not inherently incoherent. They do tell us something; they tell us what something isn't, and in some sense this leads us to infer positive conclusions to that something's existence. For instance, to say that something is incorporreal is to say that it cannot be limited by space. This is to say that such a Being can be everywhere and nowhere at once (which is not a contradiction if you think about it for a second). In addition, it makes the obvious statement that to be outside of the material realm, it cannot also be a part of the material realm.

What Todangst appears to be doing is applying his arbitrariness to the equation. It is obvious that his materialists bias has already infected the beginning of this argument.

Perhaps Todangst is the mark of a new era of philosophers who finally stumbled upon the blunders of Ontological thinking and now we must discard these terms because of their "incoherence", but I highly doubt that. While negative statements are vague and safe due to our lack of knowledge and comprehension to what is beyond the material realm (if such a thing exists) it doesn't mean we should just stop trying to figure out if such things exists.

If I may be so bold, Todangst is basically saying that because he finds the terms not clear enough for his liking (or applicable to the material realm), that they aren't worth using or trying to explain what we cannot fully understand.

Todangst wrote:

TAG is a Naked Assertion that Relies on Incoherent terms, and violates the Concepts of Contingency and Necessity.

TAG offers up a confusion: While 'god' cannot be defined in positive terms, secondary traits assigned to 'god' such as 'omnipotent' and 'omniscient' can be examined independently. And it follows from the definitions of these secondary traits that anything created and sustained by an 'omnipotent creator' would exist contingently, as omnipotence obviates necessity by definition. Yet tautologies are necessarily true. How can a tautology be contingently true and necessary true, at the same time?

But it appears that Todangst is playing word games here. He begs the question by assuming that the only type of existence is contingent (already at the beginning of his argument is appears). I'm also confused (due to Todangst incoherence in this part of the argument; just tongue and cheek, my friend Eye-wink ), about what he refers to as a '"tautology" . Which statement or set of attributes is he claiming to be a tautology? He needs to clarify here.

Is he saying that the statement: "An omnipotent being created" is a tautalogy? What is it exactly?

Todangst wrote:

TAG is a Naked Assertion that Relies on Incoherent terms, and violates the Concepts of Contingency and Necessity as well as Basic Ontology

Let's first consider the problem of a 'supernatural being' being as the fountain of natural laws: the claim is necessarily a non sequitur.

Well, he's basically saying that something 'supernatural' cannot be the fountain of natural laws because it doesn't follow...but let's see if that's true in this argument.

Todangst wrote:
We've already discussed the ontological dilemma with making a reference to anything beyond nature - anything defined solely in negative terms.

Which didn't make any sense.

Todangst wrote:
Next, we know that nothing natural can point back to its own antithesis, the supernatural, as nothing with onotological status can point towards something without any ontological status. In addition, we would expect that any universe created by, contingent upon, and sustained by a 'supernatural' 'force' would be magical, not lawful.

This doesn't make any sense. First, he says that something cannot point to something that has no ontological status, being that it has ontological status. We already discussed this little incoherence above, so I don't even know where he's going with this. He then goes on to say that something created and sustained by a 'supernatural force' cannot create something that is 'lawful', but that the universe would be 'magical'.

If no one sees the problems in this statement already, allow me to explain: He is assuming that a supernatural force would create something 'magical', which doesn't actually mean anything, because he hasn't defined what 'magical' is. And by saying this he is equally implying statements without any 'ontological status', as he so puts it. So how he can make a positive statement about the nature of a universe created by things that are 'incoherent' by nature of being negative is beyond me. Now, I personally believe positive things can be inferred by negatives, but it seems as though he doesn't so this little statement already undermines the argument.

I assume he is saying that "laws" imply limitations and limitations are only a part of the natural realm, but this also raises the question as to what he means by this. If Todangst is a materialists, then what we have is all we can have and that's that. Nothing is truly limited, but equal. Or perhaps he is just saying that laws and nature are part of the material realm and something that is "supernatural" is above this and therefore cannot create that, which it transcends. The problem with this is that it seems to assume that the meaning of 'transcendence' equates to something being limited to OUTSIDE the material realm and having no qualities of the material realm itself, but this needs to be explained, because simply because something is above something else does not mean that that something does not have the characteristics of the thing that created it.

Take for instance, this analogy: A building plan was created by the mind (or mental images) of an individual and then from that a physical building was created. Would we say that this is impossible? Our thoughts are not affected by the laws of gravity. I cannot throw my thoughts into the air. I cannot test my thoughts. If I may say this...my thoughts are not limited to time and space. They are inside my mind, but they are not 'contained' therein. I can transmit my thoughts through language. They cannot be contained. Thoughts are without any shape or form.

Now, you could say that they are and they are just chemical and electrical reactions in the brain and that's that, but then you run into some issues (as the Argument From Rationality points out rather nicely). I would say that if something has the same status as something else that it cannot adequately say anything about that something because it must pressupose something transcendent of itself (laws of logic) so as not to be arbitrary.

Todangst wrote:
Otherwise, if this 'god' 'worked' lawfully, causally, this 'god', this 'god' would then enter the causal chain, and be a natural entity. And this would undermine the entire supposed point of requiring this 'necessary' being as the solution to the Kalam-esque problem of creation. Any 'god' that is part of the causal chain could not create ex nihilo.

The problem here is that Todangst is assuming that the First Cause must necessarily be part of the causal chain simply because It causes something. I argued this in a recent paper, that simply because a First Cause causes something, does not mean it loses its status of being the "First Cause". This reminds me of the times when I and other Theists present the Cosmological argument, a non-believer ask (in the form of an objection, nonetheless), "Then what created God?". The problem with this question should be obvious to anyone knowing of the First Cause argument. For something to be the First Cause it must have two attributes before anything else: Immutability and it must be Eternal. Cause and Change are interlinked into what we call "Time". To be unchanging it must not become different. It must retain all its attributes. Now, if such a Thing or Being is a non-thinking entity, It has a hard time with being immutable, since, by randomness, It must change Itself (not willingly) to cause something. Now, mental states can equally be immutable, but by causing something from a mental state, such a state does not need to change. If this Being (a thinking entity) were to decide to create a world, that desire could be inherent within the character of that Being, and therefore the act of creation would not be a violation of It's Immutability. Continuing from here, as Dr. William Lane Craig argues, the act of creation itself, then, would be the beginning of time and causation as we know it and would allow the Creator to still be outside of time, while within the realm of the temporary and material.

Todangst wrote:
So to return to the original point, any universe created by a supernatural 'being' would be a universe created by fiat, where every parameter of existence would exist by fiat alone... it would be unlawful, unpredictable, random, literally "whimsical'. Does this represent our universe?

But, as I pointed out before, you are using terms without any "ontological status" and therefore undermine your own argument.

Todangst wrote:
On the other hand, if logic, reason, and order are universals that 'god' has to 'follow' if god were limited in some way, we leave theism altogether and enter pantheism. We'd have Spinoza and Einstein's god. The god of Christian theology would be out of a job.

Wait a second...I thought Einstein was a Deist? God can be limited. Supernatural does not imply "no limitations, it simply implies "above nature" (though some conceptions of the "Ultimate Being" do state that such a Being has no limitations). To be above something means to not have the characteristics of that something (true), but it does not imply that the creation itself does not have the characteristics of its Creator.

Todangst wrote:
Clever readers will recognize this answer to the transcendental argument as a permutation on Socrates' Euthyphro dilemma, indicating that the solution to this problem predated Christianity itself.

Well, sort of...the Euthyphro dilemma is more of an Ethical argument than anything else, though I can see where you're coming from a little bit here. The way this dilemma is dealt with is rather easy, though, since the argument relies more on appealing to the uncomforting reality of the arguments conclusion.

Todangst wrote:
The most common theist response:

Theists will seek to avoid this dilemma by arguing that a third option exists: "Logic, etc. is/are part of god's 'character'. However this attempt to avoid both horns of the dilemma commits two blunders that, and ultimately forces the honest theist to return to one of the two horns of the dilemma.

Blunder number 1:

Ontological: This claim leads to a stolen concept fallacy. Here's how: 'Supernatural', 'is' defined as beyond nature - i.e. 'not nature', a purely negative definition without any remaining universe of discourse, ergo the term "supernatural" is a broken concept. As a broken concept it cannot refer to anything by definition. So to say that something beyond nature, has a nature, is to steal the concept of naturalism.

Attempted Rebuttal: Some balk at this as a play on words, by claiming that 'nature' and 'having a nature' are two different concepts altogether. This commits two more ontological errors. 1) This merely begs the question that we can speak of nature, devoid of nature!

I'm going to tackle your first objection...not surprisingly...first. It is rather shallow in that it is a category error (which I assume is what you attempted to say rather than "stolen concept fallacy&quotEye-wink. It is a category error in that you assume that 'nature' (as in the physical realm) and to have a nature are the same things. Nature, as not being the physical realm, can be defined as so: the particular combination of qualities belonging to a person, animal, thing, or class by birth, origin, or constitution; native or inherent character. Of course, they could be the same thing if you are assuming materialism is true, which would be begging the question.

Todangst wrote:
2) Basic ontology tells us that to exist is to exist as something, to have identity, to have positive attributes. It is these positive attributes that give something a character. To define something as beyond nature is to rule out the ability to apply any positive attributes. Another way to understand this error is to recognize that any positive attribute is a limit. To have identity is to have limits. To define something as unlimited is to hold that it can't have limits. Ergo, it is beyond character/nature/identity.

Assuming that "supernatural" entails "no limitations" or that God is only defined in negative terms.

Todangst wrote:
Review:

Basic ontology, built off the basic axioms of reason, tell us that to exist is to exist as
something,

Well, that's rather "incoherent", isn't it Eye-wink

Or should I say that the last part of this statement is a tautology?

Todangst wrote:
to have identity, to have attributes. Existence and identity speak to limits. To be something is to not be what it is not. A=A. A does not equal NOT A.

Okay.

Todangst wrote:
To define something as supernatural is to say it is beyond limits, hence, beyond identity, hence beyond character, hence without a nature.

No. To define supernatural as you do is to say those things. To also assume that a creation cannot have characteristics of its creator (rather than simply presuming the other way around) is also to say those things. To use such "non-ontological" terms (as you describe them) in your argument is to undermine all that you have written.

And that's just half of the paper. In all honest opinion I don't think he knows what he's talking about. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's how I really think. No means to insult there, but I simply really think that he's outside of his own niche (psychology I presume?). I'm no Doctorate in Philosophy myself, but I find the errors and lack of explanation here on his part to be rather obvious. I know he's written other papers on these 'problems' (inevitably leading up to this one), but the errors don't really give reason to look at those.

Sorry guys, I'm just not buying it. My apologies if I offended Tod or anyone for that matter, but I really wasn't trying to. I just don't think these ideas are correct.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
What does it mean to explain

What does it mean to explain something by a "non-rational" cause? Doesn't removing rationality as a criteria for evaluation undermine any understanding of causality? We would have no way of eliminating possibilities, because they would always be so-and-so many layers of convolution away from becoming plausible under an irrational view. Without demanding a tangible link between concepts and the realities they're meant to represent, any notion could be finagled to explain any phenomenon. 

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Now I'm going to address

Now I'm going to address Fish, once again: 

Fish wrote:

I have pointed out several times. I will do so again.

You say that god's moral views are subjective. This is because they are based on his opinions. They are not based on facts.

Yes, I said that rather hastily and recanted it in the next response after thinking it over. The problem with calling God "subjective" with his morals, as you have so defined in this little statement, is that by doing so He is not basing them on "fact". The reason this is a problem is that the First Cause is fact. This is to also say that God is immutable, which would mean that God is not basing anything off of anything, but Himself, because there is nothing else to base anything off. And this is to say that God would consider there to be anything else at all to begin with. To say that the First Cause is "subjective" is to commit a category error.

Fish wrote:
Then you say that you follow god's objective moral standards.

Actually, no I didn't. I said that by following God I was following an objective standard, not God's objective moral standards

Fish wrote:
The standards haven't changed. They are the same standards. So you have said they are subjective and objective at the same time.I will illustrate.

If god says "I like when people kill each other," that is subjective. It is based only on his preference for murder.

That's to say that any other such preference exists that is on par with His own, which is to say "none". And that is to say that it is a preference to begin with.

Fish wrote:
When you say "god likes when people kill each other," that is objective because you are stating a fact.

However, the standard itself is subjective. An opinion does not become a fact when someone other than the original speaker says it.

But you are saying that the First Cause is unjustifiable because it  is not caused by something else, which is fallacious in and of itself.  To apply subjectivity to the First Cause is categorically absurd.

Fish wrote:

To use the defintion you provide, god's morals stem from his own prejudice. What reasons does he give to say that stealing, murder, homosexuality, women, etc., are bad things?

God has no "prejudice". If God was all there was before anything else ever existed then there is no "prejudice" there. "Prejudice" assumes that something is "not prejudice". There is no distinction of "preference" in the First Cause to assume preference to begin with.

Fish wrote:
God certianly bases his morality on his own preference. The fact that he doens't have any preference other than his own is hardly surprising, considering the contradictory nature of such an idea.

Pressuming that you find the idea of the First Cause and category erros to be contradictory in nature.  

Fish wrote:
Other preferences do exist. This is clear from that fact that many people have preferences that are not the same as god. Your statement doesn't really make much sense. If god's morals come from nowhere but his own notions, that's essentially the very definiton of subjective. They arise from his own perceptions, ideas, and feelings, and not some other source.

Because there is no other source. It's impossible for the First Cause to have a source. It is the source. To deny this is to undermine all rationality and thought completely (as noted in my critique of Todangst article). Human preferences may in fact exists, but these are just limited mental contstructs stemming from a greater source; limited constructs who's preferences are not the source itself by which it it can justify things to be "factual" to begin with. 

Fish wrote:
The fact that god likes something because that's the way he is doesn't mean that it's an objective standard. If you like ice cream because you were born that way, that doens't make it objective. It just means that you had no choice over your own preferences.

That might not even make it a preference if you are determined to like something, which raises the question as to how you can believe the First Cause has a preference if it is determined to act the way it acts (immutability).

Fish wrote:
As long as god is basing his morality on his own preferences, it doesn't matter what those preferences are. They are subjective. For god's morals to be objective, they would have to be based on some other fact.

Aside from the preference objection I stated above, if God is the very fact (First Cause) then there is nothing to base anything on other than Himself. He has no choice and must have no choice  in the matter to be the First Cause.

Fish wrote:
You didn't really answer the question. If that were the case, would you consider murder, stealing, etc. good things?

Actually, I did. I just don't think you were satisfied with the answer. Yes, I would consider them "good" because there is nothing else to consider if I am basing my morals off an objective standard (something other than myself).  Whether I feel that way or not is irrelevant, though the Theology I follow shows that some moral absolutes are ingrained within the human pscyhe. 

It comes down to this:

Fish wrote:
If god's standard is subjective, then you follow a subjective standard of morality, regardless of what sort of authority you claim god has.

True, assuming that subjectivity can be applied to God, which I argue that it cannot.  

Fish wrote:
If god's standard is objective, you should be able to show where he draws this objective standard from. Saying "because god is objective" isn't really a sufficient argument.

But it actually is perfectly reasonable to say that He draws it from Himself because He can be nothing, but Himself as the First Cause. The whole issue of subjectivty cannot seem to be adequately applied to such a Being. To me, it makes absolutely no sense. 

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: What does

magilum wrote:

What does it mean to explain something by a "non-rational" cause? Doesn't removing rationality as a criteria for evaluation undermine any understanding of causality? We would have no way of eliminating possibilities, because they would always be so-and-so many layers of convolution away from becoming plausible under an irrational view. Without demanding a tangible link between concepts and the realities they're meant to represent, any notion could be finagled to explain any phenomenon.

No belief can be rationally inferred...

"Materialism is true"

...If it can be explained in terms of non-rational causes...

"All thoughts are merely the result of chemicals and similar physical things."

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:

"Materialism is true"

Sorry, there must have been a SQL error. Can you re-post the part where you explain something? It looks all garbled, like you just posted four statements that are unsubstantiated and don't cohere into an argument. I know you didn't do that.

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Scribe

magilum wrote:
Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:

What does it mean to explain something by a "non-rational" cause? We would have no way of eliminating possibilities, because they would always be so-and-so many layers of convolution away from becoming plausible under an irrational view. Without demanding a tangible link between concepts and the realities they're meant to represent, any notion could be finagled to explain any phenomenon.

"Materialism is true"

Sorry, there must have been a SQL error. Can you re-post the part where you explain something?

Sorry, I thought I did. Something that is "non-rational" simply isn't rational. Not in the sense of 'irrational", but that it simply cannot think rationally. It has no capabilities of doing so (i.e. atoms).

And yes, you are correct. By removing rational explanations we undermine our own thoughts. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:
Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:

What does it mean to explain something by a "non-rational" cause? We would have no way of eliminating possibilities, because they would always be so-and-so many layers of convolution away from becoming plausible under an irrational view. Without demanding a tangible link between concepts and the realities they're meant to represent, any notion could be finagled to explain any phenomenon.

"Materialism is true"

Sorry, there must have been a SQL error. Can you re-post the part where you explain something?

Sorry, I thought I did. Something that is "non-rational" simply isn't rational. Not in the sense of 'irrational", but that it simply cannot think rationally. It has no capabilities of doing so (i.e. atoms).

And yes, you are correct. By removing rational explanations we undermine our own thoughts. 

So you've been misusing the word. This goes a bit further than equivocation. It doesn't bode well for a discussion.

magilum
User is offlineOffline
  Here's a visual analogy

A Visual Analogy for TAG's Suckiness Here's a visual analogy for TAG's suckiness. There is one difference: a box can actually be used as shelter in a pinch.

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: Scribe

magilum wrote:
Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:
Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:
 No belief can be rationally inferred... "Materialism is true" ...If it can be explained in terms of non-rational causes..."All thoughts are merely the result of chemicals and similar physical things."
 Sorry, I thought I did. Something that is "non-rational" simply isn't rational. Not in the sense of 'irrational", but that it simply cannot think rationally. It has no capabilities of doing so (i.e. atoms).  And yes, you are correct. By removing rational explanations we undermine our own thoughts. 
 So you've been misusing the word. This goes a bit further than equivocation. It doesn't bode well for a discussion.
First off, how was I missusing the word? Irrational and Nonrational are clearly two different things. Further, I don't see why you must assume I purposefully am trying to decieve here. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:
Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:
Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:
 No belief can be rationally inferred... "Materialism is true" ...If it can be explained in terms of non-rational causes..."All thoughts are merely the result of chemicals and similar physical things."
 Sorry, I thought I did. Something that is "non-rational" simply isn't rational. Not in the sense of 'irrational", but that it simply cannot think rationally. It has no capabilities of doing so (i.e. atoms).  And yes, you are correct. By removing rational explanations we undermine our own thoughts. 
First off, how was I missusing the word? Irrational and Nonrational are clearly two different things. Further, I don't see why you must assume I purposefully am trying to decieve here. 

I fully acknowledge the possible sincerity of your egregious error. Atoms are non-rational, and also non-sentient, non-conscious, and most of all, non-living. None of those observations impact their role as the elemental composition of the earth, or animals, including humans and their sentience. It's as if knowing it was composed of two gasses debunked the existence of water. Simple composition fallacy.

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
Okay, Tilberian, this is

Okay, Tilberian, this is going to be my last response towards you for a number of reasons that I will list after I've raised my objections.

Tilberian wrote:

Yep. Which is like taking the position that the stars are lights hanging from a giant crystal sphere than encloses the earth and defending that position on the grounds that you are "Ptolemicist." Both models of the universe being equally outdated, discredited and without support from any modern source.

Well, if you are just going to be rude about it without any formal explanation then I don't see why I should take your objection any more seriously.

Tilberian wrote:

Oh dear. Are you one of those poor fundamentalist mouth breathers who actually wants to argue that religion can be defended on non-faith-based grounds? Because if this is going to turn into a debate about whether carbon dating works, I'm not interested.

1.) I wouldn't consider myself a "fundementalists" in the same way you are referring (I suppose you mean Southern Evangelist).

2.) I do believe religious concepts and certain claims can be backed by empirical evidence , though I am not an Intelligent Design "Theory" advocate or a Creation Scientist.

3.) You didn't answer my questions.

Tilberian wrote:

Subjectivism does not rule out distinctions. Where did you get that from? The subjectivist says is that good is distinct from evil because I feel that it is so and here are the reasons why. Which is all any of us can do. Objectivists like yourself pretend to have a god's-eye-view of the topic, but are simply ignoring your own perceptual prison.

Subjectivism rules out distinctions because there are really no distinctions to be made. Your opinion is no better or worse than anothers because there are no objective distinctions for determining if your subjective view of 'wrong' is better than person B's subjective view of "right". Distinctions are ultimately an illusion.

Tilberian wrote:

The confusion here lies in your underlying assumptions about morality, which are invalid. You want morality to be something transcendent and innate in the universe, a real property of the cosmos that is independent of perception or opinion. You refer to morality as if it is one of the laws of physics. In my view this is pure fantasy without a shred of evidence to back it up. No one anywhere has ever seen a "moral" that wasn't created by the mind of a human.

What I want or don't want is irrelevant. What is required to make moral judgements or moral statements is the crux of the matter here. Further, I would object that we have never seen or had a tangible "mind" either, but I don't see you objecting to that. I could even go on to say that no one has ever seen a "law".

Tilberian wrote:
Any examination of the contents of morals themselves makes it pathetically obvious that they are human constructions and not transcendent articles at all. So I dispute your version of morality on the basis that morality is fundamentally subjective, ie, derived from human thought.

So you confess to a circular argument (begging the question)? And also an appeal to something...saying that it is "pathetically obvious", which doesn't prove anything at all.

Tilberian wrote:
However, there are aspects of our being that transcend individual people without transcending our material nature. We all share similar physical and mental characteristics, as well as similar circumstances in that we are all living on this one tiny planet in the same universe. To the extent that our moral conclusions can be pulled from reference to these shared factors, we can claim that they are "objective."

A group ethic is not a "transcendent" thing. It's just a group of agreeing individuals that make up one entity. And you were correct in scare quoting the "objective" because it isn't objective at all. It's an ad popullum.

Tilberian wrote:
Or at least that they are objective the extent that any position can be objective, subject, as all understanding is, to the limits of our knowledge and senses.

Sorry, don't follow. It must be because I'm a deluded Theists, though, right? Oh wait, "Theist" and "deluded" are the same thing! Sorry for being redundant.

Tilberian wrote:

No. We can draw rational conlcusions based on our understanding of these factors.

Explain.

Tilberian wrote:
There is a basis here for a rational morality. I am not talking about people doing whatever they feel like doing.

I think you're a little misguided about what rationality entails if you believe that simply being rational will lead to the same conclusions.

Tilberian wrote:

By the standard of rationality. Your basis for claiming objective grounds for morality doesn't withstand scrutiny.

Which is ultimately a human invention (rationality) by your own concession, therefore it is circular.

Your basis for claiming rationality and morality don't withstand your claim to rationality.

Tilberian wrote:

That's because you are saying irrational things, like trying to imply that there is some questionable value judgement inherent in prefering peace to violence, life to death and wealth to poverty.

Explain why that is irrational to begin with and by what standard do you imply something is "irrational".

Tilberian wrote:

When I have reason to apologize, I do.

Insulting people (and a number of other things) when they have not done the same to you usually prompts an apology.

Tilberian wrote:

Yes, yes you are trying to say that the poverty comes first and the religion comes next. I dealth with that below.

Actually, no. Either you forget what you say easily or you are lying. This is what you inferred from what I said earlier, which is why I objected to begin with:

Tilberian, pg. 1, first response to me wrote:

"LOL are you really this stupid? Now all you're doing is pointing out that religiousity makes countries poor! Which also makes them stupid!"

You asserted that I said that religion makes people poorer, which was never the case at all and you have yet to recant from that statement, still assuming that is what I said.

Tilberian wrote:

No it doesn't. It means they are making an unsupported assumption.

Actually, that would be "raising the question". Begging the Question is the formal way of saying "circular argument". It has become confused with the objection of "raising the question". Look it up if you don't believe me.

Tilberian wrote:
Thank you for those additional examples that reinforce my point. Each of the cases you mention are cases of religious upheaval, when the prior religious institutions were overthrown and their effect on society diminished. Islam was a beacon of reason and science compared to the benighted barbarity that had gripped the desert tribes previously. The Reformation was a time of destruction of the backward, insular, stultifying Catholic doctrines that had kept Europe in virtual intellectual stasis for a thousand years. The history of the early United States is a history of flight from religious persecution (by other religions) and rejection of institutionalized religion altogether.

They should reinforce nothing as your entire notion is dependant on assuming that religion is "bad" and "non-religion" is good. Whether certain religions were "outsted" does not prove your point, because other religions were the ones doing the ousting, which simply shows that religion is still the influence for these advancements.

Also, your assumption about Catholic doctrines placing Europe in "intellectual stasis" is an unsupported opinion among scholars today. The Catholic Church was responsible for the modern paradigm we now know as the "University". Catholic monastaries were responsible for teaching science and other fields of learning long before the Reformation and the Enlightenment. There was no "stasis". This is simply a Reformer bias that leaked into the secular minds of the Enlightenment in hopes to undermine the Catholic Church further and uplifting a more Protestant ideology.

Further, another example that undermines your entire point, being that religion is the true influence behind these changes and not some overthrow of religion.

Tilberian wrote:
Religions crush social progress and stifle acheivement as long as they are strong and stable. It is only when they are thrown down that the true measure of the human spirit can shine through the cracks.

Whatever "true measure of human spirit" even means to you. You're not a dualist, remember? And you're also a subjectivists, so I don't even know why you're stating this sort of social progress as an undisputed fact.

Tilberian wrote:

I know far more about history and the relationship between religion and science than you. Every example you have tried to give so far has fed right into my points. Even if you do find one or two examples, they serve only as the exceptions that prove the overwhelmingly more common rule: countries with high levels of religiosity and stable religious institutions suffer from retarded progress and, given time, fall behind less religious societies on social indicators.

Yes, because we've certainly seen progress coming from non-religious (or anti-religious) countries in the past century, right?

Tilberian wrote:

Yes, such as the Red Terror. The Soviet Union was an awful, totalitarian dictatorship, but it accomplished something that the previous thousand years of Orthodox Christian-backed czarist regimes never did or would ever have done: it modernized Russia and delivered many of the fruits of modern technology to people who otherwise would be living as medieval peasents to this day.

And it led to the deaths of thousands of innocent people. And Russia is not "modernized". The only thing giving those people hope, security, and a life over there still are the religious institutions, not the secular, religious undermining government.

Tilberian wrote:

The American economy in the 20th century created unprecedented levels of wealth and economic expansion, the like of which has never been seen before on Earth, much of it in the last half of that century, precisely when religiosity went into decline.

Religiosity went into decline? Really? I could have sworn that statistics show that the religiousity of the United States hasn't changed much in the past century or so.

Tilberian wrote:

No. The Reformation represented a huge weakening of the grip of Christian religion over the daily affairs of governments and people in Western Europe. It ultimately led to the Renaissance and the Enlightenment, both of which dealt body blows to ALL church's ability to define reality.

So are you assuming that the Protestants weren't Theists? It was a battle ultimately waged on Theological foundations. I don't understand how you're missing this.

Tilberian wrote:

This so-called "education" maintained Western Europe in a sort of intellectual paralysis for about a thousand years. Discoveries that the Greeks had made in 2000 BC about the size and shape of the world and the principles of physics were lost, repressed and never rediscovered because of the Church's need to ensure that every scientific inquiry agreed with doctrine and the Bible. Scientists who dared to challenge these rules were persecuted, without exception.

Actually, that's false. The Church at the time followed an Augustinian ethic towards knowledge outside of the Bible and would often mold doctrines (as it does today) around truths found by Science etc. Galilleo was not persecuted because he was going against Catholic dogma. He was persecuted because Catholic dogma had allied with the popular scientific consensus of the time.

Tilberian wrote:
It's interesting that you mention mathematicians. Mathematicians were indeed one of the few groups who got off fairly easily with the Church. Why? Because nothing they studied could be construed as having any impact on any aspect of the Church's teachings. Hell, most people don't understand anything a mathematician says anyways.

On the other hand, biologists, physicists, chemists, historians, archeologists, botonists and astronomers were harassed almost on principle. Yes, many of these people studied within Church institutions. That's because there was nowhere else to study. Go and look at biographies from any prominent scientist between 1000 and 1900 AD. You'll find run-ins with religious authorities in almost every case.

I addressed the case of Muslim science. In its early incarnations, Islam was a highly rational movement for its time. It didn't take long, however, for the religious demons of dogma to cripple it's intellectual progress as well.

Sure, I'll go read those documents (when I find them), but I still see a great deal of bias in your statements that I feel will not be easily supported by History. Your perceptions of dogma are rather off as well; assuming that religion is the only thing that can be dogmatic, when certainly scientists have had their share of dogma in the past (denial of Continental Drift, anyone? Denial of Big Bang cosmology? etc.)

Tilberian wrote:

Please tell me you are joking. "Development of nations" has NEVER been a goal of ANY main religion. Religious authorities have done little else but reinforce the existing hierarchy and tell the poor to shut up and wait for their reward in the hereafter.

Which is exactly why the poor were never empowered to rebel against higher authorities, right? The big bad ole Church always kept them quiet and never did anything good for them.

Such a fairytale you've created. I'm rather impressed.

Tilberian wrote:
That is, when religious authorities weren't actively pillaging the lower classes for their own gain.

I'm still waiting for you to point to one of these "benefits."

Similarly, I am still waiting for you to admit that your one sided view is rather dogmatic and unreasonable, based on biased assumptions stemming from your hatred.

Tilberian wrote:

Modernization and industrialization were benefits afforded only to the few? Without the Communist revolutions, Russia and China today would look like Africa. Were those regimes nice? No. But if you want to have a discussion of the relative tendancy for religious and secular countries to slaughter their neighbours and their citizens , we can go there. I warn you, it won't go well for the religious side.

Russia is still a waste and China is only finally coming into its Industrial Revolution. You pointed these two out as an example of "progression". Sure, we can go through who had the most death counts in history and see who's the "better" (whatever that even means to a subjectivist), but in the end, to say that Russia and China were in any way "progressive" for the mass slaughtering of their citizens that were primarily religious, is rather sickening and disturbing. To even say it wa "worth it" in some way exposes the sort of thinking you are inclined to. Though I would not wish to judge any further I will give a small generalization of how I feel at the end of this response.

Tilberian wrote:

I see. So now you don't like foreign aid as a measure of how much countries help out other countries. I suppose it is your thesis that relgious countries don't send foreign aid because they would never dream of so crassly interfering in the policies of their neighbours.

I'm sure you are right. You know, you should send an open letter to the citizens of some of the foreign aid recipients and remind them that their aid is coming with a diplomatic price. I'm sure each and every one of them will want to cut a cheque returning the money immediately.

Sarcasm aside, I'm sure that foreign aid donor countries could find more directly useful applications for those funds if they retained them. The fact is, foreign aid goes out because countries that prefer peace see it as a way to exercise their will in international affairs without having to fight. Religious countries, on the other hand, prefer to hang onto the money and use it to buy tanks and bombs.

The article simply undermined what you tried to prove and further did not address the entirety of what I was saying (which I explained afterwards). Also, once again, note your complete and utter distaste for religion so much that you are not even willing to afford any sort of "good" to it, by any means.

Tilberian wrote:

Yet those countries continue to clamour for aid. Strange, isn't it? I wonder why they are so eager to receive these funds that are ruining their economies. Baffles the mind.

Seriously, I can't believe you are trying to spin this to suggest that secular countries are actually more evil because they give more aid. It appears that the habit of intellectual dishonesty is so deeply ingrained in you that you can't even recognize when you are being ridiculous.

I wasn't trying to spin anything; just showing how the article undermines your previous point. And even if I were trying to spin it, how would that be any different than your petty assumption that religion only does evil and the anti/non-religious do good? At least I can admit that religion has done bad and the non-religious have done bad, but you can't seem to do that. You simply seem to believe that religion is "evil" and non-religion is "good".

Tilberian wrote:

Your so-called point doesn't pass the laugh test. The very idea that secular countries are the bad guys because they give aid is absurd.

I never said "secular countries are bad". I simply read the article and determined that it undermined your point and didn't prove anything.

Tilberian wrote:

I won't look at your bullshit study because it is beside the point. Maybe the Church is making wonderful progress in convincing people not to have sex out of wedlock. But the fact remains that use of condoms would only help the situation, and the Church has stymied that. In any event, there are dozens of reports and studies from objective sources that show quite conclusively that the Church's policies have killed millions and that Africa would have been better off if the various churches had kept all their so-called "help" to themselves.

What makes something "objective"? Someone who isn't religious? Isn't this a subjective opinion that souly rest on prejudice? The article points out rather well that despite the promotion and sales of condom use by non-Catholic authorities, it has not stemmed the virus from spreading further.

Tilberian wrote:
Please, please post the link. There's going to be nothing left but a crater by the time he's done with you.

Actually, I posted it in this topic. I hope you enjoy it.

Now, to explain why this will be my last response to you. I will list them in order:

1. You insult me by calling me "stupid" and you have a tone of bigotry eminating from your responses; similar to how a racist would talk to another race. You seem to believe I am below you or something or not even worth a thought, which seems odd in light fo the fact that you are debating me to begin with.

2. You don't take me seriously and it appears you have made up your mind to the point that anything that comes from the mind of a Theist is not worthy of attention.

3. You won't pay me the same respect as I have paid you in this discourse, such as reading the material that is provided.

4. Debate is about learning and opening ones mind to possibilities. I have argued my points and I expect rebuttals (which I have recieved), but not only do you make light of my views, you openly reject any research into them (such as your dissmissal of my article) and you seem to believe that anything religious or associated with Theists is inherently immoral.

So, besides me being personally insulted, I feel that this discussion is ultimately meaningless now, not simply because of your attitude, but because you aren't debating and you are not even bothering to take me seriously. So really, it simply comes down to the fact that you are not interested in sharing ideas or debating them. You are only interested in degrading me, which is not the reason why I am here.

Though I wish you luck in the days to come and I hope that God touches your soul someday. Good evening my friend.

Scribe
Theist
Scribe's picture
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: I fully

magilum wrote:

I fully acknowledge the possible sincerity of your egregious error.

Thank you, moving on then...

magilum wrote:
Atoms are non-rational, and also non-sentient, non-conscious, and most of all, non-living. None of those observations impact their role as the elemental composition of the earth, or animals, including humans and their sentience. It's as if knowing it was composed of two gasses debunked the existence of water. Simple composition fallacy.

Perhaps not the "sentience" of animals and humans, but certainly what we consider to be "rational".  

Please excuse me, but I fail to see how this is a composition fallacy. Could you please explain it. I need to go to bed right now, but I will be back to read it later. I would appreciate it. Thank you.  

magilum
User is offlineOffline

Scribe wrote:
magilum wrote:

I fully acknowledge the possible sincerity of your egregious error.

Thank you, moving on then...

magilum wrote:
Atoms are non-rational, and also non-sentient, non-conscious, and most of all, non-living. None of those observations impact their role as the elemental composition of the earth, or animals, including humans and their sentience. It's as if knowing it was composed of two gasses debunked the existence of water. Simple composition fallacy.

Perhaps not the "sentience" of animals and humans, but certainly what we consider to be "rational".  

Please excuse me, but I fail to see how this is a composition fallacy. Could you please explain it. I need to go to bed right now, but I will be back to read it later. I would appreciate it. Thank you.  

You said atoms aren't "rational." You meant something simpler, like conscious, of course, since something can be alive and conscious (which atoms are not), and still wildly irrational, as you've demonstrated. That extra "ir" in front mean "not," BTW.

Now what could the lack of sentience in atoms possibly mean to human consciousness? To me, not a thing; but you brought it up after decrying the inadequacy of "materialism" as an explanation for, guessing from your last post, human sentience. If the consciousness, or lack thereof, of atoms is meant to bear on the question of materialism as an explanation for human consciousness, that's a composition fallacy. If that's not your argument, I have no idea why the lack of awareness in atoms is meant to be important.

If instead you meant, in calling atoms "non-rational," (because they're not alive and not conscious) that their role in physics represents a "non-rational" (as in not logical) explanation, you're simply equivocating two different uses of the word. And it's a stretch at that to even justify the use of "rational" in reference to atoms, since our constituent particles diverge from us as a whole in a number of ways before you get to the dubious question of their "rationality." It's a bit like complaining that the number seven isn't garlicy.

[edited for clarity] 

Cernunnos
Cernunnos's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote: 1. No believe is

Quote:

1. No believe is rationally inferred if it can be fully explained in terms of nonrational causes.

2. If materialism (most Atheism, though I would argue all[i]) is true, then all beliefs can be explained in terms of nonrational causes.

3. Therefore, if materialism is true, then no belief is rationally inferred.

4. If any thesis entails the conclusion that no belief is rationally inferred, then it should be rejected and its denial accepted.

5. Therefore, materialism should be rejected and its denial accepted.

If taking nonrational to mean something that does not think there exists a problem in your argument. To maintain the ability to think sentient stuff needs to fuel itself with nonrational sustenance. There is a definite link between nonrational stuff maintaining sentience in that dehydration and starvation can cause an easily remedied delirium.

This certainly points to rational thought being a consequence of senseless, natural stuff.

You have no evidence for the first proposition, it is naked.

Quote:
Negative statements are not inherently incoherent. They do tell us something; they tell us what something isn't, and in some sense this leads us to infer positive conclusions to that something's existence.

This is the point, words like immaterial and supernatural negate everything thus leaving nothing to refer to. There can be no positive statement about something that is immaterial or supernatural.

Quote:
Is he saying that the statement: "An omnipotent being created" is a tautalogy? What is it exactly?

If an omnipotent entity created everything nothing is a necessity as an omnipotent being would have the ability to do as it wishes. This creates a contradiction as there exists tautologies - things that are necessarily true.

Thus the statement "An omnipotent being created" is not even contingent it is necessarily false.

I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote: That's a wide

geirj wrote:

That's a wide open question which I'm sure several people have a response for. Here's mine...

Look at the boycott of 'gangsta rap'. People think that motivates gang activity/shootings etc....

So don't try to apply this appeal to fear garbage. 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: geirj

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
geirj wrote:

Look at the boycott of 'gangsta rap'. People think that motivates gang activity/shootings etc....

They said the same thing about video games. They banned and censored comic books in the middle of the last century out of a similar hysteria. The film industry used to have a strict content code imposed on it. That's hysteria, not reality, as a solid link hasn't been demonstrated as has been with religion by... well, history. Your analogy would work if there was a large demographic of the world influenced in their decisions by a belief that "The Force" needed equal time in schools, or that embryonic stem cell research earned us the wrath of Sauron.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
magilum

magilum wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:
geirj wrote:

They said the same thing about video games. They banned and censored comic books in the middle of the last century out of a similar hysteria. The film industry used to have a strict content code imposed on it. That's hysteria, not reality, as a solid link hasn't been demonstrated as has been with religion by... well, history. Your analogy would work if there was a large demographic of the world influenced in their decisions by a belief that "The Force" needed equal time in schools, or that embryonic stem cell research earned us the wrath of Sauron.

We seem to be discussing two different issues here:

One is the violence

Two is the political hinderence

I was talking about one, you are apperantly talking about two.

So, for two, we can fix that with better education. Getting science in schools etc.....

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
magilum wrote:
Cpt_pineapple wrote:
geirj wrote:

They said the same thing about video games. They banned and censored comic books in the middle of the last century out of a similar hysteria. The film industry used to have a strict content code imposed on it. That's hysteria, not reality, as a solid link hasn't been demonstrated as has been with religion by... well, history. Your analogy would work if there was a large demographic of the world influenced in their decisions by a belief that "The Force" needed equal time in schools, or that embryonic stem cell research earned us the wrath of Sauron.

We seem to be discussing two different issues here:

One is the violence

Two is the political hinderence

I was talking about one, you are apperantly talking about two.

So, for two, we can fix that with better education. Getting science in schools etc.....

You compared the fear of violence influenced by media to that influenced by religion. I gave a modern example that would demonstrate a systematic influence on society by entertainment media comparable to religion. That's if we limit our scope to modern north America. If we travel either in time or position, we run into examples of explicitly religiously inspired violence that doesn't have a counterpart in entertainment media. Religion is more scary because it's precedented, and not just by isolated acts by a few nuts. Note that I don't think most religious philosophy is clear or concrete enough for a fair distinction to be drawn between what can be considered a right or wrong practice of it. If someone names it as an influence, even if they're at odds with the mainstream, the scriptural validity of their position is often arguable. Take the Phelps family and their interpretation of the Old Testament: do we respect the OT? do we toss it out? Ask different believers, you'll get different answers/translations/interpretations, and there's no way to determine the validity of any of them. This isn't to say the religious mainstream is violent -- they're too secular for that. But when people claim religious justification for their actions, I don't have definitive basis not to take their word.

I agree on the science education bit. Is Canada's rabble as divided on science education as ours are?

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
FreeThoughtMakesMeTingle's picture
User is offlineOffline
T4P though I've seen this

double post

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

triple post

FreeThoughtMake...
Superfan
User is offlineOffline

T4P though I've seen this before......I saw an article online not too long ago saying pretty much that countries would be better off w/o religion or fared better w/o it...I wish I'd saved the article well the link to it....i'm trying to find the exact one.

Quote:
Religion at BEST - is like a lift in your shoe. If you need it for a while, and it makes you walk straight and feel better - fine. But you don't need it forever, or you can become permanently disabled.

---George Carlin---

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
magilum wrote: You

magilum wrote:

You compared the fear of violence influenced by media to that influenced by religion. I gave a modern example that would demonstrate a systematic influence on society by entertainment media comparable to religion. That's if we limit our scope to modern north America. If we travel either in time or position, we run into examples of explicitly religiously inspired violence that doesn't have a counterpart in entertainment media. Religion is more scary because it's precedented, and not just by isolated acts by a few nuts. Note that I don't think most religious philosophy is clear or concrete enough for a fair distinction to be drawn between what can be considered a right or wrong practice of it. If someone names it as an influence, even if they're at odds with the mainstream, the scriptural validity of their position is often arguable. Take the Phelps family and their interpretation of the Old Testament: do we respect the OT? do we toss it out? Ask different believers, you'll get different answers/translations/interpretations, and there's no way to determine the validity of any of them. This isn't to say the religious mainstream is violent -- they're too secular for that. But when people claim religious justification for their actions, I don't have definitive basis not to take their word.

But you see, they are interputating it in the way they see fit. That is they held those beliefs already.

The reason why I don't think religion is the main cause, is because I see far too many secular causes to the conflicts, that is why I think they are only attributing their feelings to religion. I do believe that they are sincere and really do think they are doing God's work, but that's only because of their belif.

The main issue I have with the violence argument is that it implies that religion is the main issue. That is, if they weren't religious, they wouldn't do it. I disagree for the reasons above, and I feel it takes an eye off the secular causes, which can be more easily fixed than 'deconverting' the people. 

Quote:

I agree on the science education bit. Is Canada's rabble as divided on science education as ours are?

No, I went to Catholic school and learned about science. 

Fish
User is offlineOffline
Scribe, It appears that

Scribe,

It appears that your entire argument rests on the fact that god had no choices in the creation of moral standards, or, by that reasoning, anything at all.  Is that true?

Let me see if I understand:

Theists follow what they believe god says is morally right, regardless of whatever facts may exist to suggest alternatives, and so are objective.

Atheists, bereft of some divine instructions, are forced to think of reasons to act in ways they consider moral and provide justifications for those actions, and so are subjective.

Is this right? 

magilum
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
magilum wrote:

But you see, they are interputating it in the way they see fit. That is they held those beliefs already.

The reason why I don't think religion is the main cause, is because I see far too many secular causes to the conflicts, that is why I think they are only attributing their feelings to religion. I do believe that they are sincere and really do think they are doing God's work, but that's only because of their belif.

The main issue I have with the violence argument is that it implies that religion is the main issue. That is, if they weren't religious, they wouldn't do it. I disagree for the reasons above, and I feel it takes an eye off the secular causes, which can be more easily fixed than 'deconverting' the people. 

Quote:

No, I went to Catholic school and learned about science. 

It's difficult to determine the degree of influence of religion on different patterns of behavior because it's so pervasive and intertwined with society hitherto. I'm willing to change the wording a bit to be more inclusive to radical political ideologies, and refer to secular dogma in addition to religion. There's a distinction between the two, as religion can also be cited by people claiming divine inspiration with a deity in a way they generally don't with Karl Marx or Leo Strauss. I agree with Sam Harris's defense of secularism from comparison to so-called "atheistic" dictatorships in that the ideal we seek is, in general, a rationalism in decision-making not found in failed communist states and cults of personality. I'm not concerned with qualifying religion as the main issue; it suffices that it is an issue, from a position that admits no rational discussion. It's problematic in the same way failed economic systems are when they rear their ugly heads with new advocates who will ignore the evidence against them. Neither am I concerned with the metaphysical claims of religion; just the attitudes and positions it inspires, while providing no justification for doing so.

My relatives went to Catholic schools -- I never discussed the curriculum with them, so I don't know what their position was on science. My mother also went to a Catholic school, and they taught a standard science education, along with useful stuff about transubstaniation. I hope the poll numbers are deceiving us somehow, cos the prospect of people passionately believing in creationism, armageddon, rapture, etc., looks to me like a threat to our culture's advancement, or even survival.

Sadistic Stalker
Sadistic Stalker's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scribe wrote:

Scribe wrote:
Tilberian wrote:

This is bullshit. An atheist is perfectly capable of having strong views on what constitutes good and evil and most do. Further, atheists usually have real, rational justifications for their moral positions instead of fake morality derived from the "whatever God says" school of pseudo-thought..

This should be interesting.

No, you don't. An Atheist has no grounds for believing in abstract counter concepts (good vs. evil). Issues of value must be viewed in a pragmatic way, which is still very arbitrary. I would say 'non-consistent' atheists have a view of good and evil, but claiming subjective values erases all distinctions.

This 'fake' morality you assume is only on par with your belief that there is no God. I would say, without God, morality doesn't exists because it becomes, essentially, preference based. You have no objective standard from which to derrive your morals so therefore you really have none at all.

That's not to say that you are immoral. By my perspective you may be very moral, but your worldview doesn't allow that sort of objectivity.

You honestly think that an athiest does not have a way to think good v. evil? Maybe not in the same sence as you, but we do. Have you not heard of Athiest Volunteers???? We try to be good people too, and just as the rest, not all work out, but most athiests believe in being a good person for them. When you, on the other hand, are looking for a reward (aka. "Heaven&quotEye-wink for doing good deeds, we do our good deeds with intentions of getting nothing in return after death. (death meaning DEATH, not an afterlife...)

a·the·ist [ey-thee-ist] –noun a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Physboy
agnostic deistTheist
Physboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I do not see any evidence

I do not see any evidence that objectively and accurately suggests that atheism is good for society thus far (will get back to make a claim regarding this after reading the chapter you referenced).

In the mean time, from the data presented in the website article, it actually appears that the correlation, if any much less strong, is between the lack of religious right population and societal health.  I could be wrong though, so I won't claim that this is the case according to the statistical data from the chapter in the referenced book.

However...

kellym78 wrote:
If I wanted to be really technical, I could state that there is a strong positive correlation between atheism and societal health, but I wanted to fit it in the headline.

You seem to be quite certain with your claim.  That being the case, can you inform me as to what the correlation between atheism and societal health from the referenced statistical data is exactly?  Is the correlation linear, non-linear etc?

Just to clarify, my quest for information here should not be taken as a defense or case for theism.  If anything I would be making a case against religion from this data.

Challenge your perspectives with the truth.

Physboy
agnostic deistTheist
Physboy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm Back...From Outer Space...

OK, the results are in:

Dogmatic Theist Caution:  Do not use my statements for the purposes of disinformation.  I will call you on it and relentlessly see to it that you are exposed as a dis-informer.  My conclusions and observations do not in ANY WAY support claims that there is ANYTHING wrong with being an atheist.  The following is only a critique of the referenced data and claims made thereof.

That being said, it appears that my original inclination was correct, the referenced chapter actually does not have a quantified correlation claim.  It is only arbitrary, qualitative and based on others' statistics without elaborating on each statistical relevancy.

The chapter started by identifying the issues with the methodologies for ascertaining accurate religious/non-religious demographic numbers.  However, he did not bother to explain how these statistical surveys dealt with the methodological problems.  So, instead of elaborating on the known imperfections of the referenced surveys that he used, he offers up a quote from Robert Putnam saying "We must make do with the imperfect evidence that we can find, not merely lament in its deficiencies."  I guess Zuckerman got some of it right, he showed the imperfect evidence, but did not elaborate on the associated deficiencies.  Nice try.

As if this was not enough, some of these stats (for countries where there were more than one survey done)  deviated almost 40% from the mean of the surveyed numbers.  Interestingly, 6 of the countries with this magnitude of deviation are within the top 12 and the other 4 are scattered from country 13 to 36.  In addition, the prioritization of the list appears to be arbitrarily set to the higher survey results rather than the mean (again this is for the countries that had more than one survey result to utilize).  This clearly creates a bias and there is no explanation for it in the documentation.

While he does arbitrarily, and qualitatively claim that there is a strong (not positive just strong) correlation between "high rates of individual and societal/well being and high rates of nonbelief in God" without any quantitative justification.  He redeems himself somewhat when he ultimately states:

Phil Zuckerman wrote:
Of course, none of the above correlations demonstrate that high levels of organic atheism cause societal health or that low levels of organic atheism cause societal ills.  Rather societal health seems to cause widespread atheism, and societal insecurity seems to cause widespread belief in God..."

This clearly delineates that this evidence does not support the claim of atheism being good for society.  So...as was pointed out earlier, the title for this article is false and classifiable as a non-sequitur.

While this data is largely inconclusive at best, the evidence does support the claim that atheism does not cause social disharmony or societal ills as the dogmatist claim.  So, again, there is no reason to rejoice for those theists making such claims as they are currently false and unsupported claims!

Challenge your perspectives with the truth.