HOW TO BECOME AN INTELLECTUAL

ChosenByPasta
ChosenByPasta's picture
User is offlineOffline
HOW TO BECOME AN INTELLECTUAL

I made a post recently titled "rational priorities - health and goals" and I wanted to direct a discussion on becoming an intellectual, but it instead turned into a whiney rant on some mental health problems that I've been having recently. I am angry about a lot of things, but I'm fine. I led the discussion in the wrong direction. I also made it seem like I am directionless in my goals, but I actually do know what I want to do. I've long since decided to challenge myself and go all out with a double major in political science and philosophy. I've become obsessed with both and want to indulge. 

So I have a sense of direction with my goals, now all I need to do is build the bridge to get to the other side! I've pointed out that I began an intellectual journey about two years ago, discovering that reading really can inspire and empower you. So far I have done very well on following up on the goals I've set out for myself.

So now, let's hear some thoughts. For the others on here who have committed themselves to reading, educating themselves, challenging themselves, and setting out goals, how have you modeled this? Do you have a system down? A certain way you go about everything? 

I'm trying to find one or two really good books. One on something like, HOW TO BECOME AN INTELLECTUAL, and one on college success skills.

I've already been to college for two years, but it was a community college and was way too easy. I barely had to read or challenge myself for the assignments. I know that going to a university will be much different. I really don't have that much of a concern for passing because I think that will be no problem, but I do want to become the intellectual that I really want to be. I want to have my shit down. I want to really know how to learn and study, because I actually want to learn.

So now I say all of this because I have a STACK of books laying next to my bed right now. I have no idea how I should approach this. I hesitate way too much. One part of me says to just devour them all. To plow right through them, marking little paraphrases, but not wasting any time taking notes on them. Another part of me tells me to go through them very slow and carefully study them and take notes.

This has become a problem for me, because I feel like when I'm reading these things that I should be doing it very slow because I should be able to regurgitate the information. The other side of me tells me to just plow through it all, and to just go back whenever I need something.

I don't know which path to take because I feel like I need to be able to regurgitate everything even though this is very counter-productive. I feel like I really should just be striving for simply taking in  the ideas for simple understanding, and thats it. I could be wrong, but it seems like the slow approach is only building barriers for me. But then again it seems like when you make an argument for something you should really know what you are talking about. Because I forget so much about details down the road when I think back about things I've read. Should I really worry about it though?

So how have you handled this. What is the best way to become an intellectual?

I'm striving for self-discipline, good habits, avoiding distractions, taking notes properly and effectively, and not wasting too much time.

"Every true faith is infallible -- It performs what the believing person hopes to find in it. But it does not offer the least support for the establishing of an objective truth. Here the ways of men divide. If you want to achieve peace of mind and happiness, have faith. If you want to be a disciple of truth, then search." - Nietzsche