The "Hitler was an atheist" Argument. Frustrating result.

Sadzaeater
Sadzaeater's picture
User is offlineOffline
The "Hitler was an atheist" Argument. Frustrating result.

Went to a very dear, very christian friend's wedding last weekend. I say very christian... to clarify - if I were to find a pigeonhole in which to put her, it would probably be labelled "Christian Hippy-type."

Predictably, many of the other guests were cut from the same cloth and I was sat in amongst the single people. The young ladies at our table were very attractive and despite their hippy appearance were all into the whole chastity thing. I felt like a broke pervert stuck in a brothel.

Not to be disheartened, I began to argue in the hope that one of the young ladies at the table would, in a moment of doubt, give me her number. A new experience.

Morality was the first argument put forward, and "Hitler was an atheist" was among the first points made. I explained that there was very little to evidence that within the bounds of the argument (and had to spend 5 minutes explaining Godwin's law), but that Stalin most certainly was and that he was probably the bigger bastard at the end of the day. She smiled (perfect teeth, BTW). I then pointed out that Saddam was a moslem and that Mugabe is a christian.

Necessity is the mother of invention. I got her number. Called her this morning, and she invited me to church tomorrow.

Fuck. (or not, as it happens).

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
You go to church with her

You go to church with her and then you invite her to an atheist meeting or to a debate with Sapient in the RRS chatroom or lend her a copy of Atheist Universe or God Delusion & tell her you're not trying to convert her, just wanting her to understand you.Smiling

The_Fragile
The_Fragile's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Love-Rich here.

I agree with Love-Rich here. Go to church with her. No one says you have to pay attention. Although I would at least look like I was. You get free food at the end anyway. As Love Rich said present her some material that explains the otherside of the story. She must be somewhat open minded. She gave her number to an atheist after all.

I hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
living inside of me
to murder everything.
I hope they cannot see
I am the great destroyer.

kenderoth
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
The_Fragile wrote: She gave

The_Fragile wrote:
She gave her number to an atheist after all.

The_Fragile one has a point there, you should go for it but not rush into it. She seems to be open minded so you have an obvious chance. Good luck reeling her in.

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadzaeater wrote: Morality

Sadzaeater wrote:

Morality was the first argument put forward, and "Hitler was an atheist" was among the first points made.

Both are violently stupid arguments that indicate a lack of even a basic, primitive curiosity into thinking things through.

Hitler's religious stance is utterly immaterial. He didn't invent anti semitism, Christians did, Hitler didn't invent the hatred, he merely called upon it.  He couldn't have done a thing unless he was tapping into a hatred that already existed.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/hitler_and_martin_luther 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote: Sadzaeater

todangst wrote:
Sadzaeater wrote:

Morality was the first argument put forward, and "Hitler was an atheist" was among the first points made.

Both are violently stupid arguments that indicate a lack of even a basic, primitive curiosity into thinking things through.

Hitler's religious stance is utterly immaterial. He didn't invent anti semitism, Christians did, Hitler didn't invent the hatred, he merely called upon it. He couldn't have done a thing unless he was tapping into a hatred that already existed.

http://www.rationalresponders.com/hitler_and_martin_luther

Hitler tapped into German patriotism. By killing the Jews, homosexuals, seniors, and the disabled, he felt he was leading Germany to it's full glory. 

Hitler called upon patriotism more than Christianity. If Germany had no Chrisitians, it still would have happened. 

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christian girls only have a

Christian girls only have a beef with full on intercourse dude.  You can get e little twist here and lick there with a little effort Sticking out tongue

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
illeatyourdog

illeatyourdog wrote:
Christian girls only have a beef with full on intercourse dude. You can get e little twist here and lick there with a little effort :p

I do hope this is true. I'll let you know. 

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'