The hilariously baffling response Born Agains give to certain questions . . .

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
The hilariously baffling response Born Agains give to certain questions . . .

I am sure many of us have had this experience.  You are having a discussion with a Born Again Christian and you eventually comment "Orginized religion only hinders our ability to progress.", or something similar.  Then the Born Again smiles and says "Exactly!  Thats why I don;t like orginized religion!".  Now this got me thinking.  What exactly do they mean by this?  That they are religious but aren't orginized?  That kinda makes sense.  Who has time to be orginized when you have to spread the word of eternal damnation.  Or it could mean that they are orginized but not religious.  Which is even more baffling than the initial claim of Christianity not being an orgnized religion (of course considering all the different sects and the different divisions within the sects, it seems to be one of the most unorgnized beleif systems out there).  This really makes you wonder how they view the word religion.  Of course they never really define what they mean by religion they just agree that it is also bad.  Anyhoo, eventually you end up asking them what Christianity is, since they hold it is not a religion, at which point they smile even bigger and reply "It's a relationship with Christ."  This response has also got me thinking.  What the hell type of relationship is this?  I've had relationships with pets, with parents, with siblings, with friends (havnt really had an official "relationship" with a girl whatever the hell that means) but I can;t even begin to concieve having a relationship with someone who has died, reutrned from the dead, is two opposite things simultaneously, and is capable of having simultaneous relationships on a grand scale (although I have worked with wood . . . like wood from a tree you sick bastards!  TO make chairs and junk so I coudl relate to him on that level).  I guess the point to all of this is, do they even pay attention to what they say or did they give up on that and figured that the more they smile the more we would want to beleive them? 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

magilum
User is offlineOffline
I recall several posters

I recall several posters pushing the "Christianity is not a religion" stance, which is, of course, totally wrong. Perhaps they get that impression by their answer to the faith versus works question (as important to me as the mechanics of transubstantiation), but that's my speculation.
Their mentality about Jesus reminds me of those psychotic stalkers convinced a famous actress or singer is blinking signals to them over the television. If Jesus were around, I'm sure a Christian would have shot him by now.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
If it collects money like a

If it collects money like a religion, screws minds like a religion and wrecks lives like a religion...

I've always enjoyed the "It's not a religion - it's a relationship" crowd myself. I can't bring myself to pick up another invisible friend after I gave my first one up in kindergarten. 

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Raki
Superfan
Raki's picture
User is offlineOffline
Its just something they say

Its just something they say to try and not associate themselves with other religions. They try and make themselves seem unique when that isn't the case.

Nero(in response to a Youth pastor) wrote:

You are afraid and should be thus.  We look to eradicate your god from everything but history books.  We bring rationality and clear thought to those who choose lives of ignorance.  We are the blazing, incandescent brand that will leave an "A" so livid, so scarlet on your mind that you will not go an hour without reflecting on reality.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have heard something

I have heard something similar before.  Not being a fellow or former fundy I'm not too familiar with the Christianese.  However I think he's trying to say that Baptists, Catholics, Presbyterians, etc. are religions but he's a Christian so he's not a member of a religion.  It's merely another way to set him above all the false Christians because he's a true follower of Christ and gets his leadership from the Bible.  At least that's what his preacher at his church tells him.

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote: I can't

jcgadfly wrote:
I can't bring myself to pick up another invisible friend after I gave my first one up in kindergarten.

Kernal Shfotts still guards my room at night :p 

" Why does God always got such wacky shit to say? . . . When was the last time you heard somebody say 'look God told me to get a muffin and a cup tea and cool out man'?" - Dov Davidoff

illeatyourdog
illeatyourdog's picture
User is offlineOffline
So its not just me when I

So its not just me when I find it doubly ironic when they back up there Christianity is not a religion claim with "If you read the Bible, Jesus was against religion".  I mean if one is against religion, why would one declare themself the Son of a God or God himelf?  Of course they have quotes in which Jesus tears religion a new asshole and its like you would think they would see the contradiction there which suggests that, if Jesus did exist, the Bible has one of the most bias portrayals of him.  I don't think Josephius had any recordings of such things when he mentions Jesus.  It was just like "Yeah, there is this guy named Jesus.  He has a following.  He was the 7th most popular son of god in his time" . . . . paraphrased obviously :p