Who here was never baptised?

Milkshake89
Milkshake89's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who here was never baptised?

*raises hand*

Thank God ! I feel like I'm pure or something. 

deludedgod
Rational VIP!ScientistDeluded God
deludedgod's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't baptrized either.

I wasn't baptrized either.

Hey, thanks for making me feel better about myself, lol. 

"Physical reality” isn’t some arbitrary demarcation. It is defined in terms of what we can systematically investigate, directly or not, by means of our senses. It is preposterous to assert that the process of systematic scientific reasoning arbitrarily excludes “non-physical explanations” because the very notion of “non-physical explanation” is contradictory.

-Me

Books about atheism

ThaiBoxerShorts
ThaiBoxerShorts's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was, though I really

I was, though I really don't much care.  It's a meaningless ritual.  It changes nothing.

Besides, I was mere days old when it happened.  Far too small/weak/helpless to successfully object.  Though judging from the pictures of the event, I put up the best fight I could. 

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm afraid that the

I'm afraid that the sentiment doesn't really make sense to me. I certainly don't feel tainted because some tart in a robe threw water on my forehead as an infant. I don't really get why anyone would feel "pure," not having been subjected to the experience. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  I would like to be

I would like to be counted among the non-baptised.

Actually, I grew up in a church that absolutely loved baptism. All someone had to say was, "I think I'd like to be baptized now", and the entire church would roll up their sleeves, carry the person down to the creek, and dunk them.

Yeah, we're dunkers where I'm from.

That's all it would have taken, but I never did it. Why? Because I was told that by baptising myself, I was making some kind of a contract to dedicate my life to god. A promise of sorts. And I believed in him at the time, but I didn't believe in him enough where I was going to promise to dedicate my life to him or anything. Plus the common feelings of unworthiness that come from indoctrination.

Skepticism saved my non-soul. =)

Also, there really isn't any reason to take literal joy in the fact that you weren't baptised. It just means that you had water on your body one less time in your life than you could have. Since we all acknowledge that it's just water, you might say that we're all baptised every morning.

Gents... stop doing that during your morning baptism! You know what I mean!

This thread is just fun. =) 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have not been baptised.

I have not been baptised. Cool

But I have been in water for other reasons.

And I shower regularly, does that count?

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a former Catholic, I

As a former Catholic, I would say that a baby barely gets out of the vagina before the baptism.

Arkanrais
Arkanrais's picture
User is offlineOffline
Correct me if I'm wrong but

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the ritual of sprinkling water on a newborns head named "christening"?

Anyway, I was sprinkled with water as a baby but never got the full dunking done allthough I was eager to get it done after seeing my brother get baptised (being 9 years old and wanting to do what the older kids were doing is my excuse Sticking out tongue) It has turned out that my brother that got baptised was the first to turn atheist allthough he calls himself agnostic.

Nero
Rational VIP!
Nero's picture
User is offlineOffline
Technically, the term

Technically, the term "christening" refers to the naming of the child.  The actual water sprinkling is a baptism.  The two occur in the same ritual, which I am sure is what led to your confusion.

"Tis better to rule in Hell than to serve in Heaven." -Lucifer

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
I never was.

I never was.

pariahjane
pariahjane's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was neither baptized

I was neither baptized either.  I don't too many people who weren't.  Well, I guess now I do.

Not all branches of Christianity require it, do they?

If god takes life he's an indian giver

TheApostate
TheApostate's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was baptised.  I became a

I was baptised.  I became a christian when I was 16, got dunked, joined the church all within one week.  So after I made that first prayer, there it was, no questioning it afterwords because I was already baptized and past the point of no return.  That's why it took me so long to leave the church after I figured out it was all bullshit.

"You can safely assume you have created a god in your own image when it turns out god hates all the same people you do.

For recovering theist visit www.ex-christian.net

TheApostate
TheApostate's picture
User is offlineOffline
lol, sorry.  I guess I

lol, sorry.  I guess I misread the thread.  I'll leave it up anyway.

Jarem Asyder
Jarem Asyder's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was never baptised, in

I was never baptised, in fact, one of the few times I went to church I saw a baptism and it scared the hell out of me. Getting dunked under water seemed to be a terrible and ridiculous idea even when I was six.

thormos
thormos's picture
User is offlineOffline
pariahjane wrote: I was

pariahjane wrote:

I was neither baptized either. I don't too many people who weren't. Well, I guess now I do.

Not all branches of Christianity require it, do they?

As far as I know Baptism is a pretty esential part of most christian sects, but not all baptise children. Jehowas witnesses for instance only baptise adults.

"Everyone knows that God drives a Plymouth: "And He drove Adam And Eve from the Garden of Eden in His Fury."
And that Moses liked British cars: "The roar of Moses' Triumph was heard throughout the hills."
On the other hand, Jesus humbly drove a Honda but didn't brag about it, because in his own words: "I did not speak of my own Accord." "

Gizmo
High Level Donor
Gizmo's picture
User is offlineOffline
I was not baptised.  My

I was not baptised.  My brother wasn't either.  

LovE-RicH
LovE-RicH's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wasn't baptised and I'm

I wasn't baptised and I'm glad.Smiling

pettman
User is offlineOffline
I too have managed to elude

I too have managed to elude the water-sprinkling priest, my parents being atheists did help a lot. Smile

Milkshake89
Milkshake89's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote: I'm

LosingStreak06 wrote:

I'm afraid that the sentiment doesn't really make sense to me. I certainly don't feel tainted because some tart in a robe threw water on my forehead as an infant. I don't really get why anyone would feel "pure," not having been subjected to the experience.

I'm sorry to say that I felt enormously insulted by your comment, as I was being sarcastic. You didn't notice, which is why I want you to acknowledge that.

P.S. I'm a sensible guy. 

Zombie
RRS local affiliate
Zombie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Was

I was, or so i have been told since I don't remember. It doesn't bother me and if it made my mom happy for a while, then it was worth it in a way I suppose.

Morte alla tyrannus et dei