Jena case, OP/ED

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jena case, OP/ED

If you dont know the story, a white student was beaten up by several black students for allegedly taking part in hanging nooses from a campus tree.

Here is my take on it. Even if they could prove that the white student partisipated in that disqusting display, it still did not give them the right to play vigilanty.

This is the same emotional reaction people have when someone calls their mother or sister a whore. Certainly offensive, but when no bodly threat is involved, no one has the right to take the law into their own hands.

The emotional reaction to the display was understandible, HOWEVER, the reaction to it was even more disqusting than the display itself. If someone wants to be "above all that" then they should act like it and not lower themselves to even worse standards than the people they are reacting to.

There could have been much more constructive ways to respond to bigotry than acting as tribalistic as the people who are bigots.

How anyone can support these blacks is beyond me. It is one thing to condemn the display, but it is NOT ok to say that they are above the law, because they were offended by the display.

Atheists get condamnation too. We are familure with bigotry. We know people kicked out of their apartments. We know people who have had personal property distroyed. We know of death threats toward atheists. 

But merely saying, "Atheists have no morals. Atheists condone pediophila. Atheists are scum. Atheists love hitler" as offensive as that is, as bigoted and ignorant as that is, would never justify physical harm to a theist.

These blacks do not deserve special protection from being offended. I am all for fighting bigotry. But in that process NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW and we cannot become a nation of vigilantys merely because we are offended.

If a white person is comming after a black with a knife or gun, then self defense is justified, and would be no matter race or religion.  But merely seeing a noose on a tree is no justification to take the law into your own hands.

I feel that these blacks distroyed any sympathy I might have had for them by lowering themselves to the standards of the bigots they reacted to. 

Now, to the PC crowd, I dont want to hear any crap about how we need to protect violent people be they bigots or vigilanties. Being offended is not license to take the law into your own hands.

Muslims threatened a cartoonist with death because they were offended that Muhammed got picked on. If you support these blacks beating up the whites for suspected bigotry, you might as well support any Muslim who threatens violence if you pick on Allah.

Bigotry is ugly and ignorant, but you dont fight it with more viloence and tribalism. The reaction of these blacks no matter how phycologically understandable, solved nothing. They do not have my support.

Does anyone underand the differenace between ending bigotry and "tactic". You dont do it by  by taking the law into your own hands.

These blacks should have, insted of using violence, used their voices.  Live above the standards of the bigoted assholes.  

Thats my rant. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: no one has

Brian37 wrote:

no one has the right to take the law into their own hands.

Quote:

but it is NOT ok to say that they are above the law, because they were offended by the display.

Quote:
NO ONE IS ABOVE THE LAW

Thoreau disagrees with you. 

stillmatic
stillmatic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: "allegedly

Brian37 wrote:

"allegedly taking part in hanging nooses from a campus tree"

"no bodly threat is involved"

I'm guessing that you're not black and neither am I, but that action is easily interpreted not just as a threat of bodily harm but of murder.

If these students end up facing charges then the students who hung the nooses should also face charges as well.

The question in my mind is whether or not action would have been taken against the students who hung the nooses without the publicity invoked by the beating?

"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven." -- former Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chretien

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
The protests aren't for the

The protests aren't for the accused innocence but because they were excessively charged.  Their initial charge was assault but upped to attempted murder.  As a result of the protests the charges were reduced back down to the initial charge.

When one of the Black students was assaulted by a number of White students and no charges were filed. The following day the six were threatened by a White guy with a shotgun.  They protected themselves by taking away the shotgun and were charged with theft, the White kid received no charges.

The protests are largely about equal protection under the law in a town which has high support for the KKK and a clearly biased justice system.  Justice is supposed to be blind to skin color, the protesters are demanding that the Jena 6 be charged as any White person would, with the intitial assault charges. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
stillmatic wrote: Brian37

stillmatic wrote:
Brian37 wrote:

"allegedly taking part in hanging nooses from a campus tree"

"no bodly threat is involved"

I'm guessing that you're not black and neither am I, but that action is easily interpreted not just as a threat of bodily harm but of murder.

If these students end up facing charges then the students who hung the nooses should also face charges as well.

The question in my mind is whether or not action would have been taken against the students who hung the nooses without the publicity invoked by the beating?

What charges? Vandelism at best, and that would only be if the ropes presented permanant damage to the property.

Cut your pc crap. I am sick and tired of  people whanting go silence everyone because they "might" get offended.

No one is advocating what those bigots did.  

No, I am not black. But as I said here and many atheists can attest to, we have incured constant condamnation, demonization and have been constantly ostracised from the public fourm, but others have incured death threats, such as Reggie and Brian. I myself have been threatened with hell, shouted down many times. I do have sympathy for minorities, so dont pull that "you wouldnt understand" crap.

And you are also making the false assumption that the white guy that was beat up was proven to be a part of the action. All you have are people who suspected him of it(not police). Show me one police report that names him(the white guy) as being the prime suspect of vandelism?

No, what you have are a bunch of idiots who acted like viggelanties insted of allowing the school and law inforcement to take care of it. They could have taken pictures of it and sent it to news media. They could have appealed to the school to find the people who did it and make a case that they should be expelled. They did not act, THEY REACTED.

That is my problem with them.

If I call your mother a whore and you beat the shit out of me, what crime have I commited? I have offended you, but you have commited the common law crime of "assault".

Those ropes are offensive and disqusting, but do not imply anything but ingorance and bigotry. 

If we take your example then "Eat More Christians" which was on a T-Shirt with a picture of a lion, would also condone murder.

Without knowing who did it, and why it was done, all we have are assumptions. Beating someone up in any case didnt solve a damned thing. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
D-cubed wrote: The

D-cubed wrote:

The protests aren't for the accused innocence but because they were excessively charged. Their initial charge was assault but upped to attempted murder. As a result of the protests the charges were reduced back down to the initial charge.

When one of the Black students was assaulted by a number of White students and no charges were filed. The following day the six were threatened by a White guy with a shotgun. They protected themselves by taking away the shotgun and were charged with theft, the White kid received no charges.

The protests are largely about equal protection under the law in a town which has high support for the KKK and a clearly biased justice system. Justice is supposed to be blind to skin color, the protesters are demanding that the Jena 6 be charged as any White person would, with the intitial assault charges.

That changes everything. I was going by the reports I had on cable news NOT FOX, but since we live in such a Mcdonnalds media age, I was only going by the data i was receiving.

If we were to go by this post, then "equal protection|" sounds right to me.

If all these black kids did was take away a shotgun which they felt threatend by(OBVIOUSLY UNDERSTANDABLE) then that would and SHOULD be covered under self defense.

My understanding at the time I caught the story was that the black guys simply beat up someone they thought hung the nooses.

If your post is accurate, then defending yourself from someone aiming a shotgun at you is understandable.

Just goes to show, dont believe everything you see on TV

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am currently watchin CNN

I am currently watchin CNN with the first in depth story about how this entire unfortunate epic started.

I was not aware from first media reports that the nooses incedent took place nearly a year ago

According to the CNN story, there was a "special" place underneith a tree for whites only. Some blacks, of course rightfully took that as WTF, what is so special about that tree that "we" cant sit under it. They rightfully sat under it to show the absurdity of the division.

When those blacks sat under the tree, the "noose" incedent took place. My understanding now is that this wasnt a sudden "attack".

Explained by CNN the "shotgun" incedent was months after the intitial incedent by the assholes who put the nooses in the tree. The guy who pulled the shotgun on the blacks OFF CAMPUS claims that he felt threatened by the words hurled at him by the blacks.

NOW, since I dont know all the details, all I can say from what I have heard by the CNN report right now is that BOTH sides made mistakes. The idiot bigots who put the nooses in the tree started all this. But I also think that some NOT ALL blacks automatically assumed that all whites were racist.

D-cubed
Rational VIP!
D-cubed's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: That

Brian37 wrote:

That changes everything. I was going by the reports I had on cable news NOT FOX, but since we live in such a Mcdonnalds media age, I was only going by the data i was receiving.

If we were to go by this post, then "equal protection|" sounds right to me.

If all these black kids did was take away a shotgun which they felt threatend by(OBVIOUSLY UNDERSTANDABLE) then that would and SHOULD be covered under self defense.

My understanding at the time I caught the story was that the black guys simply beat up someone they thought hung the nooses.

If your post is accurate, then defending yourself from someone aiming a shotgun at you is understandable.

Just goes to show, dont believe everything you see on TV

I know how you feel.  I have to go to the BBC or the Independent from the UK to get better coverage on American issues.  Televised media is the absolute worst, Fox doesn't even count as news.  Local news tends to be fairly good though, I guess it doesn't need to go through the corporate censors. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
UPDATE!  By now many of

UPDATE! 

By now many of you have seen the video taken after the march in Jena at a bus stop at night of a pick up with nooses haging off the back.

I am very proud of the masses that attended who DID NOT respond with violence, but did the right thing and notified a policeman who emediatly pulled the truck over. Both occupants were arrested for being drunk, incitement of violence.

THAT FOLKS, is how you handle assholes. You dont demand PC laws, you dont become a viggalanty. You do what these mature peolple did. KUDOS to the peacefull protestors!