Jena High School

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jena High School

Holy goddamn shit! So this small ass town in Louisiana called Jena recently sparked some interesting actions. Jena, a town of 4000 is about 85% white. Some of the white students at the local high school, Jena High, sit underneath a tree. One black student wanted to sit there. If I read the information correctly, he had to ask permission. The next day, three nooses were hanging from the tree. Well, as if that wasn't fucked up enough, sometime later (none of the articles really give specific timelines), six black students beat the shit out of a white student. The six black students are now called "The Jena Six". They have been charged with attempted second degree murder and conspiracy. The article I read said that they could get up to 100 years without parole. Now, thousands of protestors are going to this little town. A lot of them are in favor of the Jena Six. Okay... Maybe they're protesting against the severity of the punishments. Maybe they're protesting against the stupid act of hanging nooses from a tree as a symbol of racism. I'm sure that's why a lot of them are there. But! I wouldn't associate myself with a group of guys that beat someone up.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because this is all over CNN right now, but they won't explain anything. I just googled "Jena High School" and found a place that had some actual information.

http://www.democracynow.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/10/1413220

This story is fucked up on both sides.

wavefreak
Theist
wavefreak's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah. Racism is a live and

Yeah. Racism is a live and well in th good ole USA. 

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
You must remember this is

You must remember this is Louisiana, probably one of the more dark aged states in the union. That swamp water must turn brains into raspberry jelly or something. I kid you not as soon as you cross the Texas state line into Louisiana on Interstate 10 it immediately turns into swamp. The only reason why Louisiana hasn't fallen into the ocean yet is because it sucks so hard Surprised.

That still does not excuse the actions of either party. Crap like this makes me wish I didn't live in the south. 

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
joshpatten wrote: You must

joshpatten wrote:

You must remember this is Louisiana, probably one of the more dark aged states in the union. That swamp water must turn brains into raspberry jelly or something. I kid you not as soon as you cross the Texas state line into Louisiana on Interstate 10 it immediately turns into swamp. The only reason why Louisiana hasn't fallen into the ocean yet is because it sucks so hard Surprised.

That still does not excuse the actions of either party. Crap like this makes me wish I didn't live in the south. 

This is my video about the South

Hopefully the embed worked correctly. Anyway... I'm not necessarily proud of where I live, but I know that the whole idea of the South being racist and backwards is just stupid. It's shit like this, though, that gives people the proof they need to believe such ideas about the area. Now, if I had the option, I would move. Not because I really hate the South, but I want to live in other places. I want to live in Europe for a little while. I want to live New York for a while. I want to move to the Arizona desert. I want to experience different places. I think that is the best way to extinguish this stupid sense of geographic pride. Just because your mom squirted you out somewhere, doesn't automattically make it the coolest spot on the goddamn planet. Feel free to make that a bumper sticker/ t-shirt.

dead_again
Special AgentWebsite Admin
dead_again's picture
User is offlineOffline
I agree however I never

I agree however I never said the south was racist. I was simply poking fun at Louisiana because I used to live 4 miles away from the Louisiana border and I know what Louisiana is like. I simply stated that things like this makes me want to move away from the south (to avoid the stereotype).

I would LOVE to go live in the UK or many of the western european nations. My brother lives in the UK and he loves it. I am tied to my current location by family. We already live 200 or so miles away from extended family members and the wife does not want to go much further, plus the fact we have moved 3 times in the past 4 years (over 100 miles each move) kills any plans for moving for a LONG time.

Quote:

Just because your mom squirted you out somewhere, doesn't automattically make it the coolest spot on the goddamn planet.

Never truer words said. Oh and I forgot the oldest Louisiana joke in the book:

Where was the toothbrush invented? Louisiana, of course. Otherwise it would have been called a teeth brush ROTF ROTF ROTF ROTF

Your god's silence speaks loud and clear

Crossover
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Well, I'm a white

Well, I'm a white southerner in MEMPHIS TENNESSEE (one of the worst racial cities in the US) and I wore black to school. Peep the badge...THIEST. I'm on these dudes side. I mean "attempted murder"???? The dude they "attempted to murder" went to a party after getting beat up. he hung nuces from a tree and beat up a black dude, without gettin punished by anyone.

Maybe its just since I grow up in the south and since I can see racism so much that I understand the black students view...but I'm on their side. I mean cmon, they accuse these guys of being in a gang and trying to kill some one. As someone who knows gangs, and gang members...when a gang tries to kill you, you die. When they just want to send a message to you, it aint jumping you. when they want to kill you...you WILL get beat up, you will get shot, you will get knived, and in this case the dude would have been hanging from one of those nuces. Gang members are more serious than to jus tbeat a guy up a little. Sounds to me like the white dude lost a fight and couldn't handle it.

My Master has no desire to be merely victor in a debate: he did not come into the world to fight a battle of logic just
for the sake of winning it. --Charles Spurgeon

Snerd
Snerd's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think this story needs to

I think this story needs to either be covered in full detail or not covered at all. None of the major news outlets are covering this properly. CNN is probably one of the worst networks on TV. If you saw their debate about atheism with a panel full of theists, you've seen just how credible they are. This happened months ago and they're just covering this now?  They can cover Brittney and Lindsay all fucking day but when actual news like this comes up, we only gets bits and pieces? America is going through some serious shit but we only care about how many times Paris fingered her rotten snatch while she was in a jail cell.

I didn't know half of this story until I talked about what I knew with someone from my sociology class. This is a big story but only a few places have actually covered it and even then we only got that Al Sharpton was protesting. American media is bullshit.