Allow myself to introduce... myself

guinness4strength
User is offlineOffline
Allow myself to introduce... myself

Hello, I'm new to this site, and the atheist community. I am 30 yrs old and have been a self tought atheist for about 10 yrs. I was raised catholic, made all of my sacraments and was even an alter boy. My transition was a slow one, for fear of letting go of God. I started seeing "the light" when I was about 18, and questioning religion in general. The turning point of my "salvation" was when I was watching the movie Easy Rider in my high school days. When the two bikers went to a brothel in New Orleans, there was a sign on the wall that planted the seeds of doubt in my head: "If God never existed, man would be forced to cerate one.", which I am using as my signature. That one statement had a huge impact on me, and started the wheels rolling. Since then, I've done my research and now see the mind control that is religion. Most people I know, know that I despise religion but I've been hesitant to speak with other atheists because these thoughts are my own for the first time in my life, and I didn't want other people forcing thoughts in my head. I am now confident in my beliefs and I think I'm ready to share them with people I don't know. I am not embarrassed at all to tell anyone I'm an atheist, but there is always that look I get when I do mention it. I'm now here ready to share, thanks for having me.

If a god never existed, man would be forced to create one.

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums!!

Welcome to the forums!!

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

guinness4strength
User is offlineOffline
Thanks!

Thanks!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
Welcome. "You will never

Welcome.

"You will never find a more retched hive of scum and villany" Obe Wan, The first original Star Wars(much better than the newer crap)Tongue out

Now be a good atheist and barbaque a kitten and spread cooties. 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

guinness4strength
User is offlineOffline
The kitten I'll have to work

The kitten I'll have to work on, but I'm pretty sure I've taken care of the cooties.

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
An official welcome,

An official welcome, guiness4strength!

Who knew that Easy Rider would be the beginning of a deconversion!  Somehow that just tickles my funny bone.

Regardless, I'm glad you saw the sign and you began searching for answers on your own.

We're all glad you're here, too! 

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.