How to convert people to a new religion? *makes me laugh

Pathofreason
Superfan
Pathofreason's picture
User is offlineOffline
How to convert people to a new religion? *makes me laugh

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-People-to-a-New-Religion

I don't know exactly who wrote this but I found it very funny for a couple of reasons. The writer obviously was trying to write from a non bias point of view but I thought it was funny because if some of the steps are really followed, the end result might be Atheism. I listed a few parts I found humorous

1. Be familiar with your own religion first.

*I find this very funny considering almost all theists I have spoken to hardly know the origins and history of their religion or the religious texts.

2. If the target person or group is Agnostic, Atheist, Communist or Humanist, read up classical philosophies like Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. Familiarize yourself with the influences these classical philosophers and Hellenism has had on your religion and on the current legal and political systems.

* This would require reading a book other than the bible or Qua'ran, not to mention I think if they did read up on these Philosophers they might actually understand life/history/ and rationality a bit more.

3. Invite your target to secular events first. If they seem comfortable after a few months, invite them to faith based events.

* Hey mike wanna go to a strip club? and next week lets try church!

WARNING

- Some people may become very violent when discussing ANY topic related to religion. When you encounter these people, please cease and desist immediately

- If your words contradict your actions or other religious communications, it will decrease the probability of succeeding * Well that pretty much defeats the purpose of writing this entire article. hahaha

Co-Founder of the Atheist/Freethought website Pathofreason.com

www.pathofreason.com

Check it out

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think it was pretty well

I think it was pretty well written, actually, and some of the advice would be useful by us to promote rational thinking, rather than religion. Especially the idea of approaching the conversation from the other person's point of view initially, and slowly introducing new ideas about how to think rationally. Also, to exhibit rational behaviour while espousing rationality; not being unintentional hypocrites. For example, not calling people idiots and whatnot while telling them not to commit logical fallacies. Most of the veterans on this site and from IG are pretty good at keeping criticism to ideas rather than people, but we all get the urge sometimes...

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!