Hi from a new forum poster!

Gadren
Gadren's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi from a new forum poster!

Hi Rational Responders,

I didn't see any mega-thread for introductions, so I'll go ahead and start my own thread.

I'm Gadren (my username on YouTube is carrotmaritova), and I've been an atheist for maybe 2-3 years, although I never really thought of myself as such until 1.5 years ago.  I grew up in an LDS family, and while my parents are great, their (and by extension "my", for a long time) life is completely defined by the Church.  I can't vouch for other churches, but the LDS Church is very big on having the church community be your life.  I suspect that part of that comes from its pioneer heritage, where the church WAS society, but in this day and age, the result is pretty hard on anyone who wants an independent life.

I was a strong Creationist, and I even did a freshman biology book report on Darwin's Demise (that's something I truly regret, because my biology teacher was perhaps one of the most sensible and rational people I've known; he was a major player in the Kansas ID drama).  During my high school career, I slowly shifted from "it's OK that they teach it, so long as it's just a theory, because it'll be proved wrong" to "the world is old but created" to "God used evolution to make all the animals but placed Adam and Eve" to, finally, "evolution is right."

I grew up in Kansas, which ended up giving me the sense that I was on the "front lines," where not everyone was LDS, and thus it was my duty to preach the gospel.  I sometimes wonder about the friendships I could have had if I hadn't let that define me.  There was a sort of mental filter (something I still see very much in my Utah-based relatives), kind of a morality firewall, from which all required approval.  My relatives still have a great deal of ambiguity with the word "good," and the immediate asumption upon hearing that a movie wasn't good wasn't that it was poorly made, but that it didn't pass LDS standards.

I carried a small leather notebook in my back pocket when I went to church, and it's very interesting to see my progression toward atheism in my private rants.  Having been part of the priesthood there, I saw the form and ceremony and action without meaning.  I wrote my own criticisms about it, then my private rebuttals to the points the teachers would make.  I soon found that attempts to discuss these sorts of things with my parents proved fruitless, and the words I longed to hear, "It's OK if you don't believe," never escaped their lips.  It was always a sort of half-hearted "We'll still love you," which sounded like the love you gave to a relative in prison (speaking of which, Mark Hoffmann is actually my ex-uncle!).

So, I'm still a closet atheist, though I sense that my parents have a suspicion.  I'm at the University of Utah now, of all places!  But thankfully, all my roommates are nontheist, and so we all support each other and I feel very free.

I came here with the whole Hovind nonsense on YouTube, and I'd love to be part of this community! 

"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read; and in so living as to make the world happier for our living in it." -Pliny the Elder

BGH
BGH's picture
User is offlineOffline
What a story, wow! Gadren

What a story, wow!

Gadren wrote:

and I'd love to be part of this community!

And we would love to have you!!

Welcome to the forums!!

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Indeed, welcome!  I hope

Indeed, welcome!  I hope you find this a good place to congregate with fellow atheists!

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Relatives can easily cramp

Relatives can easily cramp one's style. But your family never will. That's how you can always tell family from relatives.

Something to think about. 

Archeopteryx
Superfan
Archeopteryx's picture
User is offlineOffline
  Welcome to the RRS

Welcome to the RRS board: an atheist haven. I've only been here for a short while, but I can tell you that being around like-minded people is sort of empowering, even though it's just teh internetz.

Glad to have you and I hope you stick around. 

A place common to all will be maintained by none. A religion common to all is perhaps not much different.

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! I have a question

Welcome!

I have a question about what mormons believe, who better to ask than an ex-mormon? Smiling

Do mormons really believe god lives on a planet near the star Kolob, and that the Sun receives its light from the star Kolob?

Gadren
Gadren's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote: Welcome! I

KSMB wrote:

Welcome!

I have a question about what mormons believe, who better to ask than an ex-mormon? Smiling

Do mormons really believe god lives on a planet near the star Kolob, and that the Sun receives its light from the star Kolob?

First, I guess I'm not technically an ex-mormon since I haven't been excommunicated.  But even if I am, I consider myself "post-Mormon," which is like ex-Mormon, but nicer to Mormons. Sticking out tongue

Anyway, Kolob was one of those things where everyone said, "Oh, that's deep doctrinal stuff, we don't really know."  Abraham, chapter 3 (where it talks about all that stuff) was one of my favorite sections in the LDS scripture ever since I was a child.

From what I understand, Kolob is supposed to be a star (mainly because similar-sounding words in that section, like Kokob and Kokabeam, refer to star-like concepts.  All it really says is that Kolob is the closest to the throne of God.  Apologists at FARMS try to connect it with the Egyptian word "kalb," referring to Sirius... but I find it funny to try and find special meaning into words that were "revealed" by someone who said that the word in God's language for "angel" was "Angloman." O_o

"True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read; and in so living as to make the world happier for our living in it." -Pliny the Elder

Susan
Susan's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forums,

Welcome to the forums, Gadren!

Mark Hoffman was probably one of the best counterfeiters who ever lived.  He really got the Mormon Church stirred up there for awhile.  It's a shame he went too far with his hoax.

At the very least, it was quite telling that the Mormon Church purchased so many of his documents - just so they could hide them deep in the vaults.  For a group so interested in history and geneology, they sure wanted to hide that history from their membership.

Congratulations for coming to your own conclusions through learning and rational thinking.  If you ever put your thoughts together from your notebook, telling the story of your loss of faith, we'd love to read it.

We're so glad you're here and look forward to your contributions to the discussions.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server.

MattShizzle
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the hizzle!

Welcome to the hizzle!

JCE
Bronze Member
JCE's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome!  Glad you are

Welcome!  Glad you are here.